• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wireless open ear bud options

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I am on the hunt for a quality pair of wireless, Bluetooth, waterproof (at least highly water resistant), long battery life, open ear style ear bud. I would love any first hand experience you may have. I will be using them for training: cycling (both road and mountain bike), running trails (and on the treadmill 😒), and weight training. So they will need to have a very good fit and not move around, be water / sweat proof, fairly durable, and have a long run time (I do have long training rides 6-10 hours).

I am looking at the Aftershokz Areopex and the Bose Sport Open earbuds. I know they work differently, but I have never used either. I would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.

(I do have long training rides 6-10 hours).

Hi,

Did the starter go out in your vehicle or something, lol???

Will be keeping up with this thread because I personally have not been able to find an earbud that stays in while on obstacle course or treadmill.
    I have had to resort to listening to the multitude of voices in my head.

Sincerely,
    Theis

• Haha
    Reactions: W54/XM-388
    I have a pair of Jaybird Vistas that I love. The sound is great (to my ears). There is a app for your phone that gives you quite a bit of EQ control as well.

I had an issue with them slipping out with vigorous activity, but I moved to the larger tips and I have to pull them out of my ears now. They are waterproof.

I don’t know what is meant by “open”.

I have Treks Aftershokz. They are bone conductors. Headphone style. Nothing actually in your ear. You’re not totally deaf to your surroundings. Unless you really crank em. Lightweight. I like them

Reactions: jbell
    I have a set of the Aftershokz, Trekz Titaniums (bone conduction) and they work ok. They aren't held as tight to my head as I would like (the sound improves when pressed tighter). I just wear them around the house though, so have no experience with how they hold up to strenuous activity.

Beats.... I have like 4 pairs. They really are good. The only time I dont like them is in a plant when I have earpro on. Then I switch to a corded Dewalt set... yes I said that!!!

I wear these at work all day and when working around the house.
    Battery lasts all day8-10 hours, sound good to my deaf ears, drown out the EEEEE. Cheap also. I like them being connected together, that way if I need to pull one or both out I just let them fall and they are right there when I get ready to listen again. Pause control could be a little quicker to activate. Cheap too at less than $20.00.

Update to add the Sony ones work well when I take a phone call too.

I have a set of the Aftershokz, Trekz Titaniums (bone conduction) and they work ok. They aren't held as tight to my head as I would like (the sound improves when pressed tighter). I just wear them around the house though, so have no experience with how they hold up to strenuous activity.
    Yeah that is my concern with them, they will be too loose and not have good sound or require adjustment often.

I wear these at work all day and when working around the house.
    Battery lasts all day8-10 hours, sound good to my deaf ears, drown out the EEEEE. Cheap also. I like them being connected together, that way if I need to pull one or both out I just let them fall and they are right there when I get ready to listen again. Pause control could be a little quicker to activate. Cheap too at less than $20.00.
    I have similar in ear, both Air Pods and some cheap ones but they block too much outside noise. I try and stay off the roads when running and riding but occasionally I’ll have longer road transitions between trail networks. I at very least want to know when someone who is texting is about to run me over...

Hi,

The benefits of multiple languages...it is really like an entirely different person, haha

Sincerely,
    Theis
    My inner voices all have different made up accents. I do alot with austria and Germany so a few of them have bad impressions of the same.

I have various in ear systems for musician work and just listening but always use the trex titanium for outdoor running, hiking etc. I like being able to hear what is happening around me on the road or trail. The audio quality is not great but for me it is background noise or songs that help motivate and pace me. the fit and movement for me has not been an issue, but I have a big head, so there's that.

The JBL Reflect Flow in ear are looking good for battery life and the ambient air talk through. Anyone have any experience with these?

The Aftershokz Areopex are the only ones I have experience with. I've had them for about a year. They work as advertised, so I've had no need to try any other products.

These Sennheiser are in ear, but they have a transparent hearing mode that works pretty well...

Ive been using the Sennheiser Momentum true wireless 2.0 for a bit. I dont run(except to the toilet occasionally), but for everything else they are good. Battery life wont be 10 hours though. They claim 7 i think, but thats bull shit too. Maybe if you arent running the ANR or Transparent Hearing... I get MAYBE 3-4 out of them, but I run ANR on cause I generally am running a string trimmer or on my mower. I think the ANR eats the battery life especially in a noisy environment.

I wanted to circle back around and update this thread. I picked up the Aftershokz Areopex today. I used them on a 2 hour trainer workout and a short 3 mile run on the treadmill after a quick charge. They were easy to connect to my phone via Bluetooth, so no drama there. They are crazy comfortable! They stay in place the whole time, I never thought about them at all. The sound quality isn’t the best but that doesn’t really matter to me at all, but it is completely serviceable. I will update this thread with how the battery holds up as I use them more. But so far I am very pleased with them.

Now that I'm a week in I have to say that I'm truly impressed with the Aftershokz Areopex. They are pretty comfortable, easy to use, have good enough sound quality, and very long battery life! I haven't timed it exactly but somewhere between 8 & 10 hours of use. Plus they work great with in ear hearing protection which is really nice! If there is a lot of ambient nose they get washed out but throw in some ear pro and your good to go.