• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wisdom needed for possible caliber conversion from 300PRC to 300WM

Far0

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 1, 2018
    East Coast
    Lets get some facts out up front:
    1. I do NOT reload at this time in my life, therefore only use factory ammo
    2. The intention of this build is for hunting primarily(not crazy long distances, but not chip shots), clanging steel secondarily.
    3. Some items I already own (will note these items) vs. what I would need

Some time back I purchased a Zermatt TL3 long action (LA) with a 300PRC Proof carbon fiber prefit barrel. I thought at the time it was the right caliber for what I intended on using it for. With that came a KRG Bravo CIP length stock (not assembled as a complete rifle) and (2) 300WM mags at CIP length. Soon after all this was collected, ammo skyrocketed and the price for 300PRC ammo went into another universe if you could even find it.

Well the KRG stock took the barreled action and accepted the magazines, but would not feed the rounds into the action. I called KRG and some others and it just doesn't seem to work out for one reason or another. Now before I found the KRG, I was already in possession of an Ashbury Precision Ordinance (APO) chassis system that is for LA, but not the CIP length mags required for the 300PRC rounds. In addition, several of my other rifles are built in APO chassis so Im familiar with them and their quality.

Taking all that into consideration, I now have seriously considered selling the KRG Bravo LA CIP stock and 300WM CIP mags (if anyone is interested, let me know) and trying to either trade or sell the Proof 300PRC carbon fiber prefit barrel to then buy a 300WM prefit barrel, maybe carbon fiber, maybe not. This would then all drop into the APO chassis and I would need to get mags suited for the 300WM. Going this direction would have endless options for factory ammo that I could afford and have access too.

If I stuck with the 300PRC, I would need to purchase a LA chassis CIP compatible and keep paying over $3.50/round.

Am I losing anything of utter importance from leaving the 300PRC party and heading over to the 300WM scene? Will the bolt remain the same? Better options for 300WM mags vs others? Anything else I might be overlooking or oversimplifying?

Appreciate any thoughts.

The PRC has slightly better performance but the 300WM has dramatically more factory ammo availability. I would sell the barrel and move to the 300WM.

You also might want to edit your post to reduce the chance that it is misinterpreted that your asking for advice rather then trying to sell stuff without being a supporter.

Reactions: Zerglish
    Well, they are both the same caliber, sooo....

I'm interested in the fact that you couldn't get it to feed.

Reactions: Marty0
    Thanks Franko. Definitely looking for advice, not a sales pitch. I plan on transitioning to a Supporter soon anyways to get some things listed. Part of the reason I’m asking for advice first!

Thanks Franko. Definitely looking for advice, not a sales pitch. I plan on transitioning to a Supporter soon anyways to get some things listed. Part of the reason I’m asking for advice first!
    Just busting your chops.
    I don't think you'll miss anything going to the WM

My lgs has [email protected] for both 212eldx and 225eldm and I have bought them every trip I make. The chassis I have no answer. Mine is in a MDT LSS xl and I have to single feed. I plan to purchase a stock or chassis next week when the sales start.
    Factory 300 win mag will be significantly below the PRC in performance without going to a custom loader. Also they will have many more loads but not many high BC bullets loaded.

If you’re staying within 600 yards, the win mag works great for factory ammo. Past that, 300 PRC definitely has the advantage for factory ammo capability. Bolt would be the same. I’m curious why the PRC rounds wouldn’t work in the KRG stock. WM rounds should work fine in it considering you have win mag magazines. Also, factory ammo will come back eventually, it’ll just be a while. 300 win mag ammo is hard to find too and when I’ve seen it it is $60+/box

Reactions: Newbie2020
    My lgs has [email protected] for both 212eldx and 225eldm and I have bought them every trip I make. The chassis I have no answer. Mine is in a MDT LSS xl and I have to single feed. I plan to purchase a stock or chassis next week when
    Factory 300 win mag will be significantly below the PRC in performance without going to a custom loader. Also they will have many more loads but not many high BC bullets loaded.

$48/box is almost as low as when it was released, wow! You need to thank your lgs for sure. At that price it might make sense to hold onto it, would just need to find a chassis that actually allows feeding.

I’d have to think by know there is a 300WM factory load that performs very well, BC included. Any suggestions to look into initially?

If you’re staying within 600 yards, the win mag works great for factory ammo. Past that, 300 PRC definitely has the advantage for factory ammo capability. Bolt would be the same. I’m curious why the PRC rounds wouldn’t work in the KRG stock. WM rounds should work fine in it considering you have win mag magazines. Also, factory ammo will come back eventually, it’ll just be a while. 300 win mag ammo is hard to find too and when I’ve seen it it is $60+/box

I live in a extremely limited/non rifle hunting state. Shotgun/Muzzleloader only for anything larger than a groundhog. This set-up would be for hopeful future trips where I can get out to free America and stretch out a bit. So as far as max range, sort of undetermined at this point. I’d like to keep my options very open though!

I know you say you don't reload, but have you thought about picking it up? Those bigger calibers pay for themselves FAST and one of my motivations was to get away from the standard 180GR 300WM loads and do my own thing. Probably just as expensive as all the alterations. Pandemic has died down a bit and things are at least passable.

No you aren;t missing anything 300 PRC vs 300 WM hunting. I think you may be missing some of the joy of reloading. Not everyone likes it, but it is an enjoyable part of the shooting for me.

You should describe your feeding problem in some detail. Maybe show a photo of each cartridge type in the magazine, top-down view. The solution could be as simple as tweaking the lips of your magazine(s).

I know you say you don't reload, but have you thought about picking it up? Those bigger calibers pay for themselves FAST and one of my motivations was to get away from the standard 180GR 300WM loads and do my own thing. Probably just as expensive as all the alterations. Pandemic has died down a bit and things are at least passable.

No you aren;t missing anything 300 PRC vs 300 WM hunting. I think you may be missing some of the joy of reloading. Not everyone likes it, but it is an enjoyable part of the shooting for me.

There will definitely be a point in my life where I’ll start reloading, it’s just not now. Fully understand all the benefits, just don’t have the most important element right now, time. When the time comes I’ll have to seek out a solid mentor and get to it.

You should describe your feeding problem in some detail. Maybe show a photo of each cartridge type in the magazine, top-down view. The solution could be as simple as tweaking the lips of your magazine(s).
    I just looked to see if I had any pics but I don’t. Would have to reassemble the barreled action into stock to recreate the issue.
    The bolt would not strip the round from the magazine to lift it into the chamber. Even if you were aggressive, it would just chamber empty as the bolt would close with no round. Mags are 300WM CIP (3.850”). That’s what was in the package with the barreled action.
    To be honest, I didn’t like the feel of the KRG Bravo stock anyway. Need to figure out if I want to stay 300PRC and find a chassis that works or go 300WM, sell the stock and either trade or sell the 300PRC barrel for a 300WM.
    I’ve attached some pics of the mags, not in the stock though.

Attachments

• 8BB0A593-75CD-4171-AA65-45F3D8BF7877.jpeg
      8BB0A593-75CD-4171-AA65-45F3D8BF7877.jpeg
      252.8 KB · Views: 52
    • D69F9D30-A442-4BD6-8F01-A5AA99B40012.jpeg
      D69F9D30-A442-4BD6-8F01-A5AA99B40012.jpeg
      249.2 KB · Views: 52
    • E31FFD13-A2D6-4DB1-A2E2-2E98E02B4A57.jpeg
      E31FFD13-A2D6-4DB1-A2E2-2E98E02B4A57.jpeg
      366.4 KB · Views: 52
    • 12DD295F-C0DD-42D7-A2B9-E46B1DE711EA.jpeg
      12DD295F-C0DD-42D7-A2B9-E46B1DE711EA.jpeg
      269.3 KB · Views: 49
    • ECADF384-36F1-4A90-9D29-A0F2372EEC6D.jpeg
      ECADF384-36F1-4A90-9D29-A0F2372EEC6D.jpeg
      490 KB · Views: 48
    • F74E0E27-868E-4483-9FB6-B35EBBAB504B.jpeg
      F74E0E27-868E-4483-9FB6-B35EBBAB504B.jpeg
      210.5 KB · Views: 56
    Picture of complete build. Obviously doesn’t illustrate the problem, but for reference nonetheless.

Attachments

• ACB961FA-347A-44A4-BA92-7C3FC3477DEC.jpeg
      ACB961FA-347A-44A4-BA92-7C3FC3477DEC.jpeg
      369.6 KB · Views: 94
    Eh, fair enough if you're not stoked enough about the Bravo to solve the problem.
    For future reference, however, I have had excellent results with the Masterpiece Arms magazine feed lip tool (depending on the underlying cause of course):

Reactions: ormandj and Far0
    Eh, fair enough if you're not stoked enough about the Bravo to solve the problem.
    For future reference, however, I have had excellent results with the Masterpiece Arms magazine feed lip tool (depending on the underlying cause of course):

I had excellent luck with that tool too.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
    $48/box is almost as low as when it was released, wow! You need to thank your lgs for sure. At that price it might make sense to hold onto it, would just need to find a chassis that actually allows feeding.

I’d have to think by know there is a 300WM factory load that performs very well, BC included. Any suggestions to look into initially?
    They are restricted to Sammi specifications Berger loaded the 215 but it was terribly short and slow in the rifle I tried them in. A custom loader like Copper Creek can fix that but it is spendy when you have other options.

My bravo did the same thing with 7rm. Adjusted the lips as mentioned and whalllaaaa. Feeds great.

Reactions: Far0
    Almost necro posting, bu here goes...for posterity... i have a 6.5 prc that was born a 6.5 creedmoor with the same feeding issues. The feed lips were adjusted by seperating the gap to be slightly wider and allow the prc case to sit higher in the magazine and now it srips it from the mag no problemo

Last edited: