• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wish you were here - Eerie

Decoy

Nobody
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
Washington
Did Pink Floyd write this for 2020?
Australia fires - Hot ashes for trees?
Lock down - A smile from a veil?

wish you were here - song

"Wish You Were Here"

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Pink Floyd, the British answer to The Grateful Dead.

If we give the Beatles a buy because they were, after, Te Beatles, and leave out the Rolling Stones because the were just a Beatles imitator/ wanna be band, those were the two greatest Rock and Roll bands.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Pink Floyd, the British answer to The Grateful Dead.

If we give the Beatles a buy because they were, after, Te Beatles, and leave out the Rolling Stones because the were just a Beatles imitator/ wanna be band, those were the two greatest Rock and Roll bands.

I'd be glad to trade Pink Floyd for the Dead, but I don't think the Brits are buying that deal.

If we're constraining this conversation to Boomer-era bands, you can't leave out The Who, and it won't be long before a Zep fan comes along (I'm not one myself, but the position has considerable merit). And then there is a Black Sabbath, who was not only phenomenally good but also, ya know, pretty much invented the metal genre. Man, the Brits are really good at this rock thing.

I'd be glad to trade Pink Floyd for the Dead, but I don't think the Brits are buying that deal.

If we're constraining this conversation to Boomer-era bands, you can't leave out The Who, and it won't be long before a Zep fan comes along (I'm not one myself, but the position has considerable merit). And then there is a Black Sabbath, who was not only phenomenally good but also, ya know, pretty much invented the metal genre. Man, the Brits are really good at this rock thing.

The Who and Zep were both good but neither in the league with PF or the Dead. Consider longevity and # of albums sold. DSOTM alone held the title of most sold for years. Nobody had a following like the Dead Heads, love'em or hate'em....Black Sabbath while an interesting group didnt come close in either category..

Reactions: Ravenworks
The Who and Zep were both good but neither in the league with PF or the Dead. Consider longevity and # of albums sold. DSOTM alone held the title of most sold for years. Nobody had a following like the Dead Heads, love'em or hate'em....Black Sabbath while an interesting group didnt come close in either category..

According to RIAA, Zep outsold Floyd, and the Eagles outsold them both. I don't think we should use sales as the ultimate metric in this conversation.

loved the music of that era still think most music no mater what era or genre has value when listen to well maybe most never liked christian or rap music but that is my preferences not what's popular in sales .

According to RIAA, Zep outsold Floyd, and the Eagles outsold them both. I don't think we should use sales as the ultimate metric in this conversation.
I don't give a shit who sold the most of any style of music. Have never listened to top 40 type radio stations, and usually found songs on albums I liked more than songs that got air play. Would rather listen to Hot Tuna than the Dead as well...PF, especially post Sid days, were innovators on a level like no other band at that time when you hear the quality of music that went with what they were talking about. "Left the farm" many nights listening to some of those albums.o_O

I don't give a shit who sold the most of any style of music. Have never listened to top 40 type radio stations, and usually found songs on albums I liked more than songs that got air play. Would rather listen to Hot Tuna than the Dead as well...PF, especially post Sid days, were innovators on a level like no other band at that time when you hear the quality of music that went with what they were talking about. "Left the farm" many nights listening to some of those albums.o_O

Heh Heh, Joel said Hot tuna, Heh Heh.

Saw them many times, met Cassady , hands down the best bass player in rock at a show. They were some wild folks.

two that I think are relevant:

"Unaware how the ranks have grown, driven on by a heart of stone. We could find that we're all alone, in the dream of the proud" -PF

and CCR really hit this one:

"Long as I remember The rain been comin' down. Clouds of myst'ry pourin' Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Tryin' to find the sun; And I wonder...Who'll stop the rain.
I went down Virginia, Seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow. Five year plans and new deals, Wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder...Who'll stop the rain."

according to Fogerty, "good men through the ages" try to find truth through the rain and confusion of what the rulers are doing. (Virginia....well.....that was prophetic for 2020.) He watches in awe, caught up as mankind builds a new Tower of Babel on the fable of utopia (soviet 5 yr plans, democrat New Deals). We see the gold, but it's really chains. Who will make it all end.

Reactions: Maggot