• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship With my budget, what should I do?

I have an extra $1000, should I:

• Buy a ~$500 optic (Arken {flame suit on}, PA, Sightron etc) and Snag a ~$500 LRF

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jmanwit

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
EDIT: If you vote "None of the Above", would you please be so kind as to offer a suggestion as an alternative?

So, I am getting a little bit of inheritance, and I am allowing myself $2000 to get back into the LR game, after years absent. For maximum transparency, when I was last in, I didn't get the opportunity to dive too deep, so I am basically relearning the fundamentals. I understand a good amount of the how from a theoretical aspect, but actual behind the rile time is semi-limited.

I am going to be picking up a Bergara HMR in .308 with a Left-Hand action (its a blessing and a curse) so that is most of the first half of the budget.

So, what next? I have narrowed my options to these in the poll, but I admit I can be a bit myopic at times, and I may be overlooking something. What do the experts here think?

Background on me, I have been a lurker on here over 15 years, kept my ears to the ground in the LR community for a long time, just got out of the Army Infantry after 7.5 years, and I qualed expert every time (not impressive hahaha).

Any help is appreciated, and any questions of me, I will be happy to answer! Thanks!

Last edited:
I was choosing between the Arken 5-25 and the Viper PST II 5-25. Both can be had for around $500 or so with the Arken being new and the PST used. Add in a medium grade Kestral and a laser range finder which should put you around $1k.

Reactions: Jmanwit
Gauge where you can shoot and how far you have range wise to your rifle cal choice...308 is fun but really 6 and 6.5 is a very good performance value especially past 1000 yard.

Either of those optics will be fine, I used to run a 6-24 diamondback to 1200$ when I started and those can be found for around 300 in FFP.

Id also consider spending around 500$ on a great LR class you find and run a rental gun first if they have them.

Gauge where you can shoot and how far you have range wise to your rifle cal choice...308 is fun but really 6 and 6.5 is a very good performance value especially past 1000 yard.

Either of those optics will be fine, I used to run a 6-24 diamondback to 1200$ when I started and those can be found for around 300 in FFP.

Id also consider spending around 500$ on a great LR class you find and run a rental gun first if they have them.
Although I totally agree with the fact that 6mm/6.5mm as ballistically superior, because I only have access to a 200m range semi-locally, and I have to travel much farther for any greater distance, I feel the handicap of 308 ballistics will force me to make better wind and distance calls, as the round is far less forgiving.

I didn't add vortex, but it's absolutely in the budget running as well. I'll consider the Diamondback, for sure.

An LR class would be great, but its not an option at the moment. Maybe I can befriend another Sooner that does LR and we can shoot.

If you're taking .308 to 1,000 in a windy area, save some money for tissues to wipe away the tears.

"My kestrel says I need to be 108 moa left for that wind. That can't be right?".

• Haha
Reactions: R_A_W and Jmanwit
If you're taking .308 to 1,000 in a windy area, save some money for tissues to wipe away the tears.

"My kestrel says I need to be 108 moa left for that wind. That can't be right?".
Although windy here, I don't plan on shooting on days with gale force winds. I know it's hard, and sub 800M is where the 308 shines (if you can call it that by todays standards) but I stand by the fact that learning on 308 will translate to me being a better shooter.

I may, next year or so, make a 22 trainer as well, but for now, sticking with a larger action.

Any other suggestions? I see a few votes that say none of the above, but don't offer a better suggestion. Be a lot cooler if you did.

It depends on your game of choice. I personally like the NRL Hunter type shooting, so a laser range finder is a must. Id say it's also a must if you ever plan to shoot something that isn't on a known distance range. Spend $200 on a good used lrf and the $800 on the best used glass you can find.

It depends on your game of choice. I personally like the NRL Hunter type shooting, so a laser range finder is a must. Id say it's also a must if you ever plan to shoot something that isn't on a known distance range. Spend $200 on a good used lrf and the $800 on the best used glass you can find.
So I haven't gotten into the games yet, as I am just getting back into it. Obviously PRS seems to be the standard these days, but I am not sure what I will find myself drawn to.

I was unaware that any LRF worth a darn was ~$200

Do your homework and $200 in the used market can definitely get you out to 1000 yards reliably on animals. The LRF of today is light-years better than 10 years ago.