• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WOA SPR 18 in Barrel Scope Selection

Dblsk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2022
East Coast
Hey everyone, new here I have read a lot of the forums. Looking for some guidance. I have a WOA SPR .223 Wylde 18 in barrel upper in transit. Trying to decide on a optic and it’s proving more difficult than expected. I had kinda settled on the Vortex PST II 5x25 but after seeing it in person I feel as thought it’s to much optics for my gun. I would like to shoot out to about 500-800 yards. Anyone have suggestions? Or if your running the Vortex on similar rig pictures? Thanks in advance.

When I built my Mk12, I originally went with the Leupold Mk 4 MR/T 3-9x36 which worked out well. Same WOA barrel as you..... wanted a little more in the mag department so I picked up a Vortex Gen II 3-15x44 and the fit is nice and balanced. Gained some weight over the 3-9 but the extra mag helps past 400 for my old eyes! Might look at scopelist.com as everybody else seems to have sold out. No relation just passing on the info. Think the last price was $589 which is a killer price on this class of optic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dblsk and simonp
A NF 4-16x42 has worked for me magnification-wise out to 1km on a 20-inch SPRish build. 12x-15x is about the right magnification for the ranges you want to work at, though you could also use something like a Vortex 1-10 without much trouble. Leupold Mk5 3-18x44 or Vortex Razor HD 1-10x24 if you're trying to keep weight under control.

Reactions: Dblsk
If you are wanting to shoot 500-800 yards, a different caliber would be at the top of the list. I have the same barrel, even with handloads, heavy bullets, etc. 500 is even a stretch. You can't hardly see the hits with a spotting scope due to lack of energy. You can hear a ding and a report back, but it's faint. The only time I can really see what groups I'm getting is to drive down and take a look up close.

A new caliber is definitely on the next build list. This rifle will be my first real build so I wanted to go with some I’m familiar with.