• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wobbly pilot in case trimmer

goodgorilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2013
Lecanto, FL
I'm new to reloading and have not seen what a case trimmer is suppose to look like. But yesterday when I turned on my RCBS universal case trimming station for the first time, I noticed that some of the bits do not rotate perfectly. Are they suppose to? When they rotate they slightly wobble. From a newbie's perspective, they don't appear to be precision instruments.

Are you talking about a case trimmer (Trim Pro), or the case prep station(Trim Mate)? My Trim Mate also has a wobble and has since new 15+ years ago.

Are you talking about a case trimmer (Trim Pro), or the case prep station(Trim Mate)? My Trim Mate also has a wobble and has since new 15+ years ago.

It's a RCBS universal case trimming station. It has an electric trimmer attached to another section that has rotating chamfer, deburing, and primer scrubbers.

i had a rcbs trimmer that would do the same kinda thing, and it would scare the inside of the case. i was not happy with it and bought a wilson case trimmer, it works without a pilot. im not sure if it affected accuracy or not but did not care for it. im much happier with the wilson.

i had a rcbs trimmer that would do the same kinda thing, and it would scare the inside of the case. i was not happy with it and bought a wilson case trimmer, it works without a pilot. im not sure if it affected accuracy or not but did not care for it. im much happier with the wilson.

You would probably notice an accuracy difference if there was one.

Last edited:
Just buy 3 way cutters for the calibers you load, I wouldn't trim without one anymore.

Just buy 3 way cutters for the calibers you load, I wouldn't trim without one anymore.
I've never seen one of those. Can it replace something on my setup?

From the instructions it can mount on:
"The three-way cutter attaches easily and works with Trim Pro Manual, Trim Pro Power
and Rotary Case Trimmers"

I don't think I can install that on my station.

Last edited:

"The three-way cutter attaches easily and works with Trim Pro Manual, Trim Pro Power

I have to research that one?

Looking on RCBS website, I'd say their 3 ways will work, should screw in just like the standard cutter w/pilot. They make a frigging killing off their 3 way cutters, changing designs midstream would be stupid even by big company logic?

I'm new to reloading and have not seen what a case trimmer is suppose to look like. But yesterday when I turned on my RCBS universal case trimming station for the first time, I noticed that some of the bits do not rotate perfectly. Are they suppose to? When they rotate they slightly wobble. From a newbie's perspective, they don't appear to be precision instruments.
I have the same unit, and I know what you are talking about.

There *is* "runout" in the tool bit section, but it should be minimal to non-existent when the more important tools - chamfer/deburr/reamer - are installed flat to the base to prevent wobble. This can be hard to do because tool's screw shaft is a separate piece from the tool lol. So it tends to screw into the tool rather than into the unit. But even with a small amount of runout, neither tool will affect concentricity of the ultimate cartridge because they are only dealing with the mouth of the case. The same applies to the primer pocket reamer.

The other tools aren't bothered by runout at all.

If you have ANY runout or wobble on the case trimmer itself, you need to realign it properly with the tool RCBS provides, and you may need to tighten the linkage between the motor and the cutter so that there is no horizontal slop. The linkage itself is designed to absorb vertical slop. After that, the trimmer is VERY consistent.

ETA: The 3-way trimmer is a bear to adjust, but once done it is a good tool and eliminates chamfer/deburr. But it isn't necessary, and has nothing to do with runout or wobble.

Last edited:
I have the same unit, and I know what you are talking about.

There *is* "runout" in the tool bit section, but it should be minimal to non-existent when the more important tools - chamfer/deburr/reamer - are installed flat to the base to prevent wobble. This can be hard to do because tool's screw shaft is a separate piece from the tool lol. So it tends to screw into the tool rather than into the unit. But even with a small amount of runout, neither tool will affect concentricity of the ultimate cartridge because they are only dealing with the mouth of the case. The same applies to the primer pocket reamer.

The other tools aren't bothered by runout at all.

If you have ANY runout or wobble on the case trimmer itself, you need to realign it properly with the tool RCBS provides, and you may need to tighten the linkage between the motor and the cutter so that there is no horizontal slop. The linkage itself is designed to absorb vertical slop. After that, the trimmer is VERY consistent.

ETA: The 3-way trimmer is a bear to adjust, but once done it is a good tool and eliminates chamfer/deburr. But it isn't necessary, and has nothing to do with runout or wobble.

I was observing the case trimmer today. The chamfer, debur, pilot, and primer scrubbers wobble. Nothing else wobbles, including the trimmer. So I guess I should be ok then.

I have to research that one?

I didn't mean to sound that way. I think I will stay away from the 3 way for now, but I may call RCBS sometime and ask about the compatibility.

I was observing the case trimmer today. The chamfer, debur, pilot, and primer scrubbers wobble. Nothing else wobbles, including the trimmer. So I guess I should be ok then.
Yes, you will be fine. Most of those tools have historically been chucked in a drill, and there's really no need to invest a lot of money in concentricity there.

. . . I think I will stay away from the 3 way for now, but I may call RCBS sometime and ask about the compatibility.
The RCBS 3-way cutters are compatible with the trimmer on the Universal Case Prep Center. I have two . . . 223 and 30-06. Here's my experience with them:

Bought the 30-06 complete and the 223 pilot only because with the right pilot(s) one cutter fits all calibers. Adjusting the 30-06 blades took so long I knew I would NEVER just switch pilots because it would require readjusting the blades every caliber change. So I bought an extra cutter to make 2 complete 3-way cutters.

Then I noticed that the deburr portion of the blade was much more aggressive than I wanted or needed on the outer rims. Effectively I was getting a small but noticeable chamfer on the outside of the case, and given the inner rim chamfer the case rims were coming to a point. Tried more adjustments . . . not much improvement.

Stopped using the 3-way cutters because the chamfer and deburr tools work well, and because the tool work is overlapped with trimming the extra time is minimal. YMMV.

The Wilson case trimmer uses a sleeve that ensures that the case mouth is trimmed square to the case walls as well as known distance to the base of the case. Giraud (I don't have one) cuts the mouth square to the case shoulder and an unknown distance to base case, so all cases must be sized first or varying trim lengths will occur.