• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Wolf .22lr match ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
Hey guys -

I'm trying to find some Wolf .22lr match. I understand this stuff is really made by SK which is a division of Lapua of Germany?

AIM Surplus has this stuff but they are out of stock.

Cabela's Wolf Match Target is in stock and is basically $50 for 500 rounds. Cabela's currently has $20 off anything over $100. I thought I might pick up 2 boxes but I wanted to see if this is "the good stuff" as I'm hesitant as hell to buy anything with Wolf on the side.

Is this what I want ?

I'd be shooting this out of a CMP Rem 40X.

Thanks!

Re: Wolf .22lr match ?

I wouldn't buy any more than 500 rounds until I was sure that it shot well in <span style="text-decoration: underline">my</span> rifle. Match Extra shoots 2 bucks a box better in mine; YMMV.

dvdt,

Cabela's show that it backoredered on the Wolf Match Target ammo.

+1 on Wolf it good stuff.

Spud47

Try it before you spend a lot of money on it. Didn't shoot well at all through my CZ.

I get in multiple case lots and they have always been marked Lapua.

Try Wideners Ammunition as well for good pricing and stock.

Hi there. Ive only had experience with the Wolf 5.56 over here in the sand box. It was great for training ammo as you had stoppages all the time. I wouldnt use it as operational ammo though. It could have just been related to that consignment we had and to that calibre. 2 cents worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiwiShtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there. Ive only had experience with the Wolf 5.56 over here in the sand box. It was great for training ammo as you had stoppages all the time. I wouldnt use it as operational ammo though. It could have just been related to that consignment we had and to that calibre. 2 cents worth. </div></div>

Wolf centerfire ammo quality and wolf rimfire ammo quality are in no way related.

Wolf Centerfire is usually junk cheap plinking ammo from Russia. On the other hand Wolf match target rimfire and Wolf match extra rimfire are both manufactured in Germany in the same factory as SK. If I am not mistaken there are references to Lapua as if SK is part of the Lapua line. See, wolf rimfire way better than and is no way related to wolf centerfire (only relationship is name and may actually be same company).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiwiShtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there. Ive only had experience with the Wolf 5.56 over here in the sand box. It was great for training ammo as you had stoppages all the time. I wouldnt use it as operational ammo though. It could have just been related to that consignment we had and to that calibre. 2 cents worth. </div></div>

The 5.56 is some real crap and I pray no-one ever goes into harms way packing that crap .

The .22 LR Match by Wolf is some pretty quality stuff . It and SK Standard Plus ammo are the same stuff as they are both made by Lapua . The case boxes show up with Lapua's logo prominently displayed on the box . It took me a while to get over the fact that it had the Wolf logo on the box .

Whoa. There is a big difference between Lapua manufactured .22 Match Extra sold under the Wolf brand and actual Wolf manufactured 5.56, 7.62 or anything else actually made by Wolf or subcontracted by them in the former Soviet States.

The only Wolf you should depend on is the .22 LR made by Lapua, the rest of it is only good for the square range and it isn't really good for that.

Good bit of info there, Ya learn something every day.

We used to use the Wolf centerfire stuff deliberatly for training as the amount of stoppages we had with it made our drills pretty quick, but after a while it got old, so swithed back to the Remington and Winchester ammo. No probs at all with that stuff.
I guess that experience has made me wary or the name Wolf when it comes to ammo. Good to know there is a big difference between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolf Match Extra is the best, with Wolf Match Target just behind it. Champion Shooter has it. Here is the link.
http://www.championshooters.com/store/home.php?cat=316 </div></div>

I would not say Wolf Match Extra is the best, SK rifle Match shoots better in all my rifles. If you have the money buy a test box from each lot CS has (make sure they have plenty in that lot).

I ordered test lots in Wolf, SK, and Lapua center X. I ended up get 26ish boxes to test. Yes it was some money but you can see the difference from lot to lot. Once you find your guns lot, buy as much as you can afford. I shoot comps it was worth it to me, it is not for everyone. FWIW I am hanging with the guys that are shooting Eley Match (Black Box) more then twice what I pay. It all depends how small you want the group.

Is the .22 Match Wolf ammunition from Lapua that you guys keep talking so favorably about really from the same company as the cheap Wolf centerfire ammo? Based on my experiences with Wolf centerfire ammo, I would say that "Wolf ammo" and "Match" don't belong in the same sentence. What's the difference?

Wolf does not make ammo. They buy ammo from other companies and but their label on it and import it to the USA.

Most Wolf center fire is made in Russian. Some in other Ex-Eastern Bloc countries.

Wolf Rimfire is made at the SK Jagd factory in the old East Germany. SK Jagd has a great reputation for quality 22 ammo.
Lapua bought SK some time back after the wall fell and the Wolf ammo that is imported in to the USA is Lapua primed brass and assembled at the SK factory machines that their match ammo is made on.
Many feel the ammo is the same but I've seen enough difference to think there are some small changes to the ammo. One is the powder. I pulled some of all four common SK/Wolf 22 ammo to check the powder weights to see if I could find out why some shots go high or low. What I found is SK and Wolf use two different powders if you go by the color. One has greenest color powder and one has slate grey color powder. Powder charges were very consistent for the few I pulled down.

In short Wolf 22 ammo is made by SK Jagd using Lapua primed brass and maybe Lapua bullets and lubricants. SK is now a division of Lapua but is separate manufacturing facility in Germany. Wolf 22 ammo is not made by the companies that make Wolf center fire ammo and should not be confused with that cheap fodder.

From the horses mounth. Notice the SK web address is labled Lapua Company.
http://www.lapua-gmbh.de/naviEN.html

Thanks, Don. If you had to rank the quality of Wolf, SK, and Lapua rimfire, would there be any noticeable difference in quality?

I've found that Lapua will be better on any given day. But you pay allot more for it. The newest stuff Excel though does not shoot well in my rifles. I keep a stash of Lapua Midas L for rainy days so I know I can step up my scores if I expect some competition. Gold box is better than blue box if you can find it.

SK and Wolf you just don't know how it's going to shoot until you test it. I end up having to buy two or three cases of 22' ever few years to compete with. I test everything I can get my hands on before I decide what to buy. The last ammo I bought came from Champion Shooters. I had them send me one brick of SK Match and Stand Plus and one each of Wolf MT and ME. SK Match shot best in my four target 22's. Wolf ME and MT tied in two each rifles. SK Standard Plus just sucked. This was the ammo Champion got last spring and they will have gotten more by now so it may not be a good idea to use my test as a guide. I'll give you an example. Five years ago when I did the same test SK Standard Plus was the best ammo I tested. Last year it sucked so you have to test this stuff; you can’t rely on this works or does not work.

What I did is buy a case of the SK match $600 and a case of Wolf Mt $450. I practice with the wolf as it has the same point of aim and compete with the SK. I also weigh my ammo and remove the high and low weight ammo to practice with. This has reduced the number of fliers to less than half from non-weighed ammo. you really don't have to weigh out Lapua as it just does not throw fliers out there like the lower price stuff. If you don't want to weigh 22's then you should look to a higher grade 22 that shoots well in your weapon.

Donald

same results here, and same opinion on use for the price. i have been using the aguila match rifle ammo which is half the price at $28.00 a brick. not as good as the sk or wolf, but pretty darn close for the price.

for me, for any serious target stuff it would be lapua, wolf extra, sk match, wolf target, aguila match rifle, sk plus.

mkii bv and mkii f

I tested the SK match , Aguila, cci stinger, wolf extra match Eley black box all our of 2 rifles
Anschutz 54.18
Anschutz 1827
Both rifles shot indoors at 30 yds

Winner for these two was the Wolf match

Agree that the best thing is try 5 boxes of each before buting 5K of it

I am very happy with the Wolf