• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Re: wolves

Sad, but they walk amoungst us. And they vote as well. I don't personally trophy hunt and have zero interest in putting down a wolf, but if one simply looks at the figures out there on wolf predation on the Yellowstone elk herds alone, it's time to manage their numbers.

i guess these people think wolves are vegetarians and dont hurt deer and elk populations. jeez too bad we dont have wolves in fl so i could add my name to the list. obviously they have never had to climb down out of a deer stand after dark with a big ass wolf cruising around ya,they might reconsider killing one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chief1942</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad, but they walk amoungst us. And they vote as well. I don't personally trophy hunt and have zero interest in putting down a wolf, but if one simply looks at the figures out there on wolf predation on the Yellowstone elk herds alone, it's time to manage their numbers. </div></div>

that is an understatement !!

22 wolves in one pack just photographed... how many elk in one day to feed this one bunch ?? <span style="color: #CC0000">2-3 elk = 750 to 1000 dead elk a year !
</span> and that is just ONE PACK !!
mad.gif

22_wolves.JPG

i have seen first hand what they do to an elk heard. i found 21 kills two years ago in n idaho in a drainage i hunted and they where killing for fun i pic pic i just need to get them off my broken laptop

1500 that they want you to know about what about the one that come down from Canada and going back and forth. i bet they have wiped out the woodland caribou heard that in N. Idaho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big_Thunder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1500 that they want you to know about what about the one that come down from Canada and going back and forth. i bet they have wiped out the woodland caribou heard that in N. Idaho </div></div>
The fish and game found two on this side of the border and three got killed om the hwy in Canada. I think there is 18 left and they found a single wolf following heard. Fish and game is talking about killing the caribou project due to wolves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chief1942</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad, but they walk amoungst us. And they vote as well. I don't personally trophy hunt and have zero interest in putting down a wolf, but if one simply looks at the figures out there on wolf predation on the Yellowstone elk herds alone, it's time to manage their numbers. </div></div>

22 wolves in one pack just photographed... how many elk in one day to feed this one bunch ?? <span style="color: #CC0000">2-3 elk = 750 to 1000 dead elk a year !
mad.gif

22_wolves.JPG
</div></div>
--Thats when you take out 2 or 3 with a silencer...then burry them-- hahah

Were i guide in Alaska unit 19 a non res.doesn't even have to buy a wolf tag.In most of the state it will cost a non res. $30.00 for a tag you can kill up to 10 wolves on it.I've seen wolves frist hand take down 13 caribou and never ate one of them.But kept following the herd of 200 to 300 caribou.I tell most treehungers a wolf is like a house cat,you can feed that cat meow mix.But let that cat outside he will kill a mice,mole ,rabbit whatever and bring up on the steps and play with but not eat.When a wolf is ready to eat,they eat but they kill for enjoyment way more then what they need to eat.Alaskan have been trying to kill them before Alaska was a state and still can't keep them in check.

Wolves were wiped out of the lower 48 for good reason’s……history shows that man and wolf do not play well together……

..its only a matter of time before game #’s are down so low or gone and these packed up killing machines start in on livestock and people…..it happen before it will happen again!!

Coyote’s are already competing with each other for trash cans in town or eating all of FiFi’s food right off the front porch….. or eating FiFi …not to mention the vary rare but occasional snatch and grab of the 3 yr toddler at the city park…till mom’s beat them off with purse’s….what makes people think that wolves fear of man won’t subside and they’ll start cruising the neighborhood for the next 5 year old or young teenager on his or her way home from school!!!

<span style="font-weight: bold">The real problem is MAN..being ate up with a case of the dumbass….that’s our problem!!!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chief1942</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad, but they walk amoungst us. And they vote as well. I don't personally trophy hunt and have zero interest in putting down a wolf, but if one simply looks at the figures out there on wolf predation on the Yellowstone elk herds alone, it's time to manage their numbers. </div></div>

mad.gif

22_wolves.JPG
</div></div>

Plus they will hunt down and get almost every fawn and calf in the area. In WI they published a study this year about coyote impact on white tale fawns. I'll try to find it and post it up but in a 30 day span a camera was placed at a coyote den and it showed 40+(can't remember the exact number but it was low 40's) fawns that were brought back to den for the pups. This is for a 35# coyote, just think what a 130# needs to eat.

This all plays well in the wako's strategy.

Game numbers down? Obvious solution is eliminate sport hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This all plays well in the wako's strategy.

Game numbers down? Obvious solution is eliminate sport hunting. </div></div> guess we better start riding horses to work dont see many people hitting game on a horse

22 in a pack? I need bigger mags...
the wolves don't come this far south, but am hearing more of black bears and coyotes in the everglades now..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 in a pack? I need bigger mags...
the wolves don't come this far south, but am hearing more of black bears and coyotes in the everglades now.. </div></div>

There is a very small population of bears in the glades, mostly around Ft Myers. They are just now starting to make a comeback. One should not hunt bears in the glades yet, as their numbers simply can't sustain any hunting.

If you're hankering to kill something in the everglades, go kill Burmese Pythons. They are non-native, reproducing at very rapid rates, and are an instant apex predator which kills out natural predators by eating all of the prey. Bad news for the already very sensitive and hurting everglades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308 LPT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolves were wiped out of the lower 48 for good reason&#146;s&#133;&#133;history shows that man and wolf do not play well together&#133;&#133;

..its only a matter of time before game #&#146;s are down so low or gone and these packed up killing machines start in on livestock and people&#133;..it happen before it will happen again!!

Coyote&#146;s are already competing with each other for trash cans in town or eating all of FiFi&#146;s food right off the front porch&#133;.. or eating FiFi &#133;not to mention the vary rare but occasional snatch and grab of the 3 yr toddler at the city park&#133;till mom&#146;s beat them off with purse&#146;s&#133;.what makes people think that wolves fear of man won&#146;t subside and they&#146;ll start cruising the neighborhood for the next 5 year old or young teenager on his or her way home from school!!!

<span style="font-weight: bold">The real problem is MAN..being ate up with a case of the dumbass&#133;.that&#146;s our problem!!!</span></div></div>

The last line sums it up.... Well said sir.

What is amazing to me is that the web site doesn't seem to post ANY comments that are contrary to what they believe about wolves.... Every story has two sides, but these folks are just lunatics without facts to back up their feelings. You don't hear shit about how coyotes are mythical creatures and should be protected, they too are horribly over populated and starting to take a toll on game numbers across the country. Wolves like any other animal needs to be regulated in order for things to work, unfortunately the government turns their heads when these bleeding heart lobbyist throw some tears and cash their way to keep hunting them off the game books. Anyone who makes their living guiding for elk out west can vouch for the fact that these vicious animals need to be thinned out. Rant off.

Chad

two of these four legged pests spotted last weekend 7 miles north of my home, Father in law tracked tehm found fresh prints in the 5" range, got close enough to spot radio collar on at least one of them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No reason to bring your kids to Yellowstone... it is empty !
eek.gif
</div></div>

Was there this summer and witnessed (3) wolves with an elk carcass battle with a Grizzly over it. The Grizzly won but didn't win it easy.

The rancher that we went horseback riding with said they are like flies on shit and how much there guided elk hunts have suffered from the decline in the elk herd due to the wolves alone.

When we got back from the horse ride, he showed me directly behind his house where he had to put up a electric fence in the back yard. His young kids play on the swing set by the two apple trees back there, that were being visited every evening by two Grizzlies.

He also said the Grizzly kill way more elk than what most people think.

Why don't you guys just shoot everyone of these MFers that's not wearing a collar??? Or, poison the c..k-suckers for that matter.

.....Ooooop's sorry, my fingers were just thinking out loud for themselves again. Please disregard my fingers question.
smile.gif

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happens if you shoot a few, while they are killing your cattle, and you get caught??? </div></div> depends where you live idaho shoot and call warden and the warden will take the wolves. having a dead cow or one with wounds on it helps you

Some weeks ago an environmental organisation over here in Germany expressed a really interesting opinion. The German landscape should be able to sustain up to 450 wolfpacks in perfect natural harmony with people and animal population. Oh my, what a wonderful prospect!!!!
Fortunately most wolfes immigrating from easter europe get killed on our roads.
About 20 years ago some lunatics "liberated" minks from a fur farm. The little pests annihilated every prey (mostly singing birds) in that area for the next years.
Some other well meaning idealists re-introduced the beaver in Germany. In the first couple of years it was celebrated, then surplus animals were cought alive in traps and shipped to hungary for release in the danube delta. Nowadays the beaver became really expensive for the comunitys because of clogged drainages and so on.

Well, the learning curve for some people is flat, almost only a point.

We have just seen the beginning of the way of the wolf. As these packs become educated they will be very difficult to eradicate. The Yellowstone wolves have made it as far east as the Black Hills in SD and the MN wolves are making their way west. State wildlife agencies still refute this but they are on the move. Wait till you have one of these dudes run up on your predator call. Quite a thrill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 in a pack? I need bigger mags...
the wolves don't come this far south, but am hearing more of black bears and coyotes in the everglades now..</div></div>

wander up here, they're like blondes in LA.

"i bet they have wiped out the woodland caribou heard that in N. Idaho"

Naw....That was from snowmobiles didn't you read the news??

When they let the wolves loose in Idaho it was like letting a 16yr old boy into the playboy mansion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happens if you shoot a few, while they are killing your cattle, and you get caught??? </div></div>

The fish and game officer here told my famila if they are within 300 yards of our cows they are legal. We also have a radio collar tracking device although there are very few in idaho with collars still. The problem is the one person in our family that doesnt carry a gun outside, is the one that always sees them

Folks you should leave a comment on their website. I did in a proffesional manner. Wolves flat out kill for pleasure. When in Darby Mt they had wiped out the elk and mulies and were even pulling the hibernating black bears out of their dens and killn the mother and cubs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When they let the wolves loose in Idaho it was like letting a 16yr old boy into the playboy mansion. </div></div>

haha great analogy. A friend of mine goes to school Idaho and said that when he visits yellowstone there's hardly any elk and even less mule deer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have just seen the beginning of the way of the wolf. As these packs become educated they will be very difficult to eradicate. The Yellowstone wolves have made it as far east as the Black Hills in SD and the MN wolves are making their way west. State wildlife agencies still refute this but they are on the move. Wait till you have one of these dudes run up on your predator call. Quite a thrill. </div></div>

We had six answer and start in but they didn't make it into range before dark, the next day we checked it out and they came all the way in and walked all over where we were set up.
The parasites that wolves carry may be worse than the wolf, do a web search, they are packing some bad worms that will infects can infect game animals and humans and cause major problems.

These people are just not right. Here's a few tidbits from their site:

<span style="font-style: italic">"With all that’s taking place in this country, we have these camo-clad, creepy, psychopathetic cowards crawling around with their high powered weapons trying to make a hero out of themselves by killing an animal that’s doing what animals do…..trying to survive."

"The Wall of shame was definitely the saddest list of names… But really was useful when showing examples."

"Hunters who kill wolves for sport are worthless human trash."

“Further more if I had my way hunting would be stopped all together and the wildlife populations would be managed by natural predators that have more intelligence than the idiots that are managing our wildlife now.”

"Lots of new research out relating to those that “kill for fun.” They’re a segment of the abnormal “human” population. They don’t have the capacity for empathy or compassion and they only feel alive when they’re killing."</span>

And my favorite:

<span style="font-style: italic">"I just received a print from the painter William Strutt, entitled “and a little child shall lead them”. Have you ever seen this painting? It shows a lion, calf, sheep, wolf and I think a jaguar or leopard with a child, all of them co existing peacefully- really cool."</span>

Fairyland.jpg

I think that painting is racist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Points to ponder:

Fairyland2.jpg
</div></div> there two bear in there too and it looks like the mountain is going to blow

I have lived and hunted Idaho my whole life and was raised to only shoot what I am going to eat. After seeing what they have done to our elk and dear populations, I now have one exception to that rule
smile.gif

For the record, the 1500 wolves is WAY off. Last I heard it was in the 4-5k.

Purchase one dead dog killed by Parvo from local vet, several is better and drop them off in areas of wolf concentration, In addition natural sea sponge cut into 3x3 squares soaked in chicken grease. It took an all out war on wolves to beat them back in the beginning and that was with it being legal. Now othermeans will be required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are 1500 estimated wolves in idaho. Those 1500 wolvse kill 30000-40000 deer and elk a year!!!</div></div>

At the risk of sounding like a tree-hugger.....

That's up to 110 animals killed per day. Or one animal per day for around 14 wolves.

Do wolf-packs hunt AND kill every day?

Where'd these figures come from? Someone else says 4-5,000 wolves.

How many elk and deer are taken by human hunters in the US every year?

Better to get your ducks in a row and quote facts...you can be sure the other side of the argument will have them!

What is the issue here? Wolves are stealing your meat or your trophy bucks?

If you are a trophy hunter then why not go and hunt wolves instead (or is that prohibited ??)?

From what I've read the return of wolves to Yellowstone in particular has had a knock-on beneficial effect to a number of other species in returning what is a man-made and artificially managed eco-system to a more genuine approximation of what existed prior to the population spread.

If there is any argument to be had, it is what is the purpose of a National Park, what do the population want it to be and at what point does it become unmanageable when in close proximity to populated and farmed areas?

Sounds like a lot of people just want it to be their own version of the sentimental nirvana in the trashy pic above or a personal hunting range?

If there is a problem with over-predation or over-population of one species than that is a failure of the Park management.

Easy to solve either by trapping and shipping or by issuing game licences annually to allow culling of numbers as they do in Namibia for example.

Then at least those with some deep-seated fear/phobia/hatred of wolves can get a chance to exorcise their demons!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver.Fox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently if you make a comment it has to pend moderation. They can sure give it but they wont even risk taking any back talk! </div></div>

That's actually a very smart thing to do for most blogs, otherwise they'd be slammed with spam. Though they may filter "unlike" responses, I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the "they must be hiding posts" bandwagon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are 1500 estimated wolves in idaho. Those 1500 wolvse kill 30000-40000 deer and elk a year!!!</div></div>

That's up to 110 animals killed per day. Or one animal per day for around 14 wolves.

Better to get your ducks in a row and quote facts...you can be sure the other side of the argument will have them!

If you are a trophy hunter then why not go and hunt wolves instead (or is that prohibited ??)?

From what I've read the retunr of wolves to Yellowstone in particular have had a knock-on beneficial effect to a number of other species in retruning what is a man-made and artificially managed eco-system to a more genuine approximation of what existed prior to the population spread.

If there is any argument to be had, it is what is the purpose of a National Park, what do the population want it to be and at what point does it become unmanageable when in close proximity to populated and farmed areas.

Sounds like a lot of people just want it to be their own version of the sentimental nirvana in the trashy pic above or a personald hunting range?

If there is a problem with over-predation or over-population of one species than that is a failure of the Park management.

Easy to solve either by trapping and shipping or by issuing game licences annually to allow culling of numbers as they do in Namibia for example.

Then at least those with some deep-seated fear/phobia of wolves can get a chance to exorcise their demons!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Ahhhh, the sweet smell of reason. Yes, you are correct. The environmental impact has overall been positive because of the wolves return. I'm not opposed to hunting them in moderation (like everything else), but the "they're taking my trophy game" argument doesn't quite sit well.

I've noted on these boards before that unless it directly affects game herds, most hunters really couldn't care less about any other environmental factors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are 1500 estimated wolves in idaho. Those 1500 wolvse kill 30000-40000 deer and elk a year!!!</div></div>

From what I've read the retunr of wolves to Yellowstone in particular have had a knock-on beneficial effect to a number of other species in retruning what is a man-made and artificially managed eco-system to a more genuine approximation of what existed prior to the population spread.

If there is any argument to be had, it is what is the purpose of a National Park, what do the population want it to be and at what point does it become unmanageable when in close proximity to populated and farmed areas.

Sounds like a lot of people just want it to be their own version of the sentimental nirvana in the trashy pic above or a personald hunting range?

Then at least those with some deep-seated fear/phobia of wolves can get a chance to exorcise their demons!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Ahhhh, the sweet smell of reason. Yes, you are correct. The environmental impact has overall been positive because of the wolves return. I'm not opposed to hunting them in moderation (like everything else), but the "they're taking my trophy game" argument doesn't quite sit well.

I've noted on these boards before that unless it directly affects game herds, most hunters really couldn't care less about any other environmental factors. </div></div>

The enviromental impact of the wolf reintroduction has been a disaster!! First they introduced a none native specie into a native population, we had a wolf population but the native wolf is a smaller brush type wolf that runs in way smaller family units similar to coyotes. The wolves that were introduced are the Canadian wolf which is far larger and run huge family packs and breed like rabbits, they take a huge amount of area and game to survive and that is why they do OK in Alaska and Canada. There are also some reports to the head bioligist doing the reloacation that indicate he was warned about a parasite that the Canadan wolf has that is not in the lower 48, it will it was found in elk and moose this year and will be devistating.
We had a very strong population of Moose in out area with a quota in one area of 15, we no longer have a huntable population. In areas I used to see a dozen I haven't seen a moose in three years, they were the first game to get hit by the wolf. There will be no doe tags in Northern MT because of the wolve wiping out the whitetail. I know of one group of Bighorn sheep that no longer exists due to a wolf pack. I don't care about trophy game I need to feed my family and I enjoy hunting.
Last fall I saw 149 sheep killed in one night by a small pack of wolves, they were training pups not one was eaten. In another area a pack of 8 were training pups and they killed 12 cows, agian nothing eaten.
I was talking the the wolf biologist in out area and he said they have no idea how many wolves we have, and the reason is that they only count the wolves that they make visual conformation with so there are many packs that do not have a collared member so they are not counted so the number is way higher than the official number.
They are devestating the Grizzly population also. They are a non-native specie in an enviroment that can not sustain them.
I know people who have had them come into there yards and tear there dogs apart, I have been followed out of the mountains by a pack several times Wolf hunting is very limited, trapping is illeagal and they are hard to trap, poison works well!
Our local economy is driven by beef and sheep, they are hard on the ranchers and our economy. The federal trapper used to kill a few coyotes and now he kill hundreds of wolves a year just on damage complaints.

Not arguing with what you say bigngreen....but what I said was related specifically to Yellowstone.

But these things are seldom black and white.

FWIW I have no issue with the hunting of vermin for protection of agricultural economies. Anyone who knows anything about the banning of hunting with hounds in the UK can tell you what a stupidly ignorant piece of legislation that was!