• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Wood pellet smoker/grill who has one?

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
My Jenn Air has given up after 17 years. I have been looking at the different offerings and Pit Boss smoker grill has peaked my interest. It appears very versatile. If anybody has one what is your opinion of it?

Interested but skeptical of the pellets. First thought is ground up pallets and associated oil/crud they've accumulated. Bought 25# bag of BBQ pellets from Academy just out of curiosity. I could see bits of plastic in the pellets and they burned with a nasty black smoke.

I have the Walmart exclusive Pit Boss and am really happy with it. I don’t get the really crusty bark on my briskets that a stick burner gets, but that would be my only complaint. Very happy otherwise.

Reactions: reeljob
I’ve got a traeger which I like. My biggest gripe is that it doesn’t regulate temps very well. I’d search around and see who does it better, because I’m sure there’s somebody. It’s such an easy device to use, I find myself putting all kinds of things on it just to give them a little smoke, then finish them in the house.

As for the pellets, I’ve not had any issue with them. They burn quite clean for me.

Oh, and it won’t put a char on anything except chicken skin. If you want that, it’s gonna take a stint in the broiler to achieve.

Last edited:
I bought a pit boss the end of last summer when I moved to Colorado.
I have used it quite a bit since then for everything from fish and chicken to Boston butt roast and brisket even did a batch of tater tots on it.
So far I really like it but am still on the fence about the brisket I did on it, I have allways used an old school pit with side fire box and am picky about brisket.
I rushed it because I wanted to take some to work with me and followed thier 8-9 hour recipe when I have allways taken 15-20 hours my old way.
When it warms up I will give it a chance at redemption cooking one low and slow like I allways have before.
Just for the record there were no complaints at the dinner table about the brisket I'm just picky about brisket being from Texas I have a standard that I grew up with and how I think one should be cooked.
I bought the one just smaller than the Austin XL and it's plenty big enough for two 16 pound briskets, it also allows you to sear like an open flame by sliding the heat shield open that's slotted for that purpose.
The competition blend pellets is what I have been using and they seem about the most versatile for all types of meat.

My wife bought me one for my birthday after my gas grill fell apart. I got the one from SAM'S , it seems better built than the Traegers I looked at, and a little less expensive than the pit boss. Only had it a month, and so far I am happy with it. Not as convenient as gas, but easier than charcoal or building a wood fire for coals. Have not attempted brisket yet, that's next on the list.

I've been using a Green Mountain pellet grill/smoker for about 6 years now. I mostly grill on it, but do occasionally smoke with it. The smoke does a decent job, but doesn't give that deep smoke flavor a real smoker can.

Reactions: Skimafia
I have had a traeger for a little over a yr and a half. This is only my second grille and I am happy with it for the most part. I dont like how you have to let it fire up, in the winter if you dont leave the lid open while starting is has an error and if you dont close the lid soon enough it has a error for now getting to 100 degrees fast enough, that's in weather under 32 degrees. I haven't purchased the winter blanket but as long as I get the grille to the next setting it stays close enough to the right temp that it does well. Gas is definitely a little faster for starting up and shutting down. A traeger has a 10 minute shut down process after cooking to burn the burn pot out and cool, most pellet grilles may be this way, I dont know. We have had great meals on this grille but I think I would try a cheaper pellet grille before biting off a $700 grille the first time.

I bought a Smokin Brothers pellet smoker 3 years ago. It has a Savannah Stoker electronic controller. It is so easy to cook on. You program the controller for a smoke temp & time, and cook temp & time. You can program an internal product temp, and when meat gets to that it will drop to a holding temp. You can pretty much set it up and go do something else while it cooks.

If I am cooking turkey breast I can set it to smoke at 250* for 3 hours, then cook at 350* until meat temp reaches 165*. When meat temp gets to 165* the controller will drop temp to 160* to keep the turkey warm.

Wood smokers give the meat a stronger smoke taste than pellet smokers, but pellet smokers are easier to cook with.

I’ve been looking hard at the Rec Tec and the Yoders. They’re expensive but I have two buddies who absolutely love them.

Buy a REC TEC and call It good I have the big one and would not take for it. Also buy the pellets they market which are very clean and priced competitively with other brand's out there. If you want more smoke buy a 15.00 smoke tube and enjoy.

I can vouch for the rec tec 100%. Yesterday smoked 2 pork shoulders and a slab of pork belly at 260 degrees. I live in Colorado and I bought the insulated cover. It was windy 20 MPH and the smoker never varied more than 1-2 degrees. Buy the Pit Boss apple wood pellets from Walmart and enjoy. I bought the large cooker with an extra elevated rack and the extra smoker box for the side. Have cooked for 40-50 people with this set up. Love it. They even have a blue tooth version now. I have put meat on at 1 am went back to sleep and had delicious BBQ by noon.

Last edited:
Rec-Tec Bull. Burned almost 400 lbs on it last year. One of the best things I have ever purchased. I cooked Boston Butt to pizza on it. I like to keep heat out of the house in the summer. Also, wifi app that lets you monitor from anywhere on the planet almost. 5 or 6 year no questions warranty. I did have to use the warranty on one item, but it was easy.

Reactions: Brent B
Beta male: Sir, could you point me to the pellet grills?

Store clerk: Right over there by the man purses and skinny jeans.

Stick burner for life!

brisket.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a stick burner so my opinion may not matter to you, but if I were going to buy a pellet grill, I would buy a vertical one with removable racks, only because I like making sausage.

My current smoker is an old air compressor tank that is mounted horizontally. I can make sausage on it, but only about 10 or 12 pounds at a time.

And when making sausage, I usually do 25 pound batches

A vertical smoker would allow me to double capacity and cut the smoking time in half.

I'm about to snag a Memphis once the house is finished March 1st

Last edited:
Travclem—that looks good. I did a 6lb flat for super bowl on the pellet grill. I got a great smoke ring, but as I said in a previous post, I cannot get real thick bark on a brisket with a pellet.

Attachments

• 92FFEC37-84B0-4E13-AE96-3ABF921BCC88.jpeg
    92FFEC37-84B0-4E13-AE96-3ABF921BCC88.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: BigTex
I’ve been running the bigger Traeger for about a year and a half. They have their limitations but turn out some really good meat. I’ve had it shut down on me a couple times when trying to run it too low or getting sawdust out of the pellet bag into the hopper.

There is a lot of good to a pellet smoker though. You can run it like an oven. Set the temp and walk away. Having a WiFi meat temp thermometer would allow a guy to leave th house to do other things without worrying about a shutdown going unnoticed.

The winter blanket is totally unneeded. I tried it when it was below zero with a decent wind and it keep the inside temp too warm for too long and let the embers burn out of the firepot. Now I run it without and never had a problem like that.
7AC37553-BAEB-41D6-A5D5-F08B0C28C88C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Green Mountain. Green Mountain is what a lot have traded their Traegers in for around here. Gets to a higher temp that some meats need. Have a JennAir in the kitchen for winter months, but love the pellet grill in the summer. Make sure u get one that has a temp meat probe, hard to cook on a pellet grill without one. As far as a winter blanket, u can do without one, but you'll burn twice as many pellets cooking if it's very cold out

I have a Green Mountain. Green Mountain is what a lot have traded their Traegers in for around here. Gets to a higher temp that some meats need. Have a JennAir in the kitchen for winter months, but love the pellet grill in the summer. Make sure u get one that has a temp meat probe, hard to cook on a pellet grill without one. As far as a winter blanket, u can do without one, but you'll burn twice as many pellets cooking if it's very cold out

A winter blanket?
What the hell is winter?
Screenshot_20190216-110950_Weather.jpg

I have a green mountain and don't care for it. If I don't vacuum it out every 3 cooks, I have soot on the food. That's just using as a grill, if I smoke on it, I might as well clean it every time. I am going to build my own stick burner this summer and be done with this thing. The amount of issues people have with the GMG, I couldn't recommend one. You will hear how great the warranty is but ask the guys how well that works when you have it quit on you when doing a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal on it. It is nice to set it and forget it but that's about all I have good to say about them.

Reactions: Geno C.
I've had a Mak 1star for 5 or 6 six years, it's been awesome. You will not get that real heavy smoke flavor like you can with a traditional wood smoker, but the set it and forget is just too easy to not use

Travclem—that looks good. I did a 6lb flat for super bowl on the pellet grill. I got a great smoke ring, but as I said in a previous post, I cannot get real thick bark on a brisket with a pellet.
Looks good! I was just busting balls.

The entire area of Florida that lies south of I-4 is like that.
When I was a kid, we used to call Sun City Center God's waiting room.
Sarasota area was The home of newly weds and nearly deads...

Reactions: oneshot86
I'm sure I will get smoked for my comment here( pun intended) but I have a wood burner I built and if you want to fuck around the house to check on it all day its fine. But I have to admit i have an electric Cajun smoker that I use mostly. Set temp and time and forget it. I know, not the same as real wood smoking but I turn out some pretty damn good meat off it. Actually have a wild hog shoulder and hind quarter in it now. 8 hours later I might send a pic.

I like my Traeger for what it is and what it does. It makes consistent and easy BBQ. It is versatile for a wide range of food applications. It has a place with the rest of my smoking units; a PBC and traditional stick burner.

In my post above I said how much I loved the Rec Tec for the set it and forget it simplicity. It will get up to 500 degrees or slightly above. For grilling I rely on my propane Weber Q. If I want a slightly smokey flavor on the grill I just use a smoke tube filled with wood chips.

I had another smoker and I dont have time to babysit a cooker for a 15+ hour cook.
That is where the pellet cookers shine. Specifically the Rec-Tec. The Bull has a 40lbs hopper. Comes with 2 temp probes that you can set individual warnings on. All controlled through wifi app. Go to the range, a movie, hardware store, reload some rounds, what ever you like. Holds temp with in 2 degrees for hours on end. Because it does that and you dont have to babysit cook times can be estimated very accurately. Which makes. Meal planning alot easier.
On my old smoker, we had a few meals where we ate the sides at 9pm, family went to bed and I ate meat at 11pm.
Pellet smoker might be cheating but I am okay with that.

Last edited:
I have a green mountain and don't care for it. If I don't vacuum it out every 3 cooks, I have soot on the food. That's just using as a grill, if I smoke on it, I might as well clean it every time. I am going to build my own stick burner this summer and be done with this thing. The amount of issues people have with the GMG, I couldn't recommend one. You will hear how great the warranty is but ask the guys how well that works when you have it quit on you when doing a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal on it. It is nice to set it and forget it but that's about all I have good to say about them.
I vacuum my Rec-Tec and put new foil on the drip pan every cook. Like changing oil in a car, part of the maintenance schedule. Take less than 5 min. I have a little 3 gallon shop vac in a storage bin on the patio dedicated to the job.

I’ve had my Traegar for about 10 years now, and I’m totally satisfied. It has been extremely versatile, and gets a lot of use every year.

I typically use the cherry pellets, or apple - very good clean hardwood that produce nice even temps in my unit, and a very nice smoke ring when left in the Smoke position for a suitable period.

I vacuum my Rec-Tec and put new foil on the drip pan every cook. Like changing oil in a car, part of the maintenance schedule. Take less than 5 min. I have a little 3 gallon shop vac in a storage bin on the patio dedicated to the job.

Lol my truck works fine if I go over a few miles on an oil change. You can keep your pellet smoker, there is no comparison in flavor to burning charcoal either. Like I said, they are convenient for the simple fact that you don't have to watch it that close if it's working correctly. Buy a fan and controller and you can do the exact same thing with charcoal too.

Thank you guys, I have been reading but haven't had time to post back. It looks like a wood pellets grill may be the way to go. I do like the versatility of the Pitt Boss and the ability to sear my steaks. Alot of great feedback on here. Proof that we actually do enjoy eating almost as much as shooting!

I've never been a big fan of pellet smokers..........but I do think they have their place. Traegers just seem to be cheaply built.........I saw some of these last week on my trip to a local BBQ store. I don't know anything about them, except they have some heavy gauge stainless where the others have tin..........pricy.......

https://pittsandspitts.com/smokers/

we've had ours for over 2 years, never vacuumed it out, EVER. No soot, no ash's. Don't know what ur doing wrong, but never had a problem with ours. We use it to smoke also, does awesome. During the summer months, my wife uses it almost every day

we've had ours for over 2 years, never vacuumed it out, EVER. No soot, no ash's. Don't know what ur doing wrong, but never had a problem with ours. We use it to smoke also, does awesome. During the summer months, my wife uses it almost every day

It's a common complaint with pellet smokers. It takes a few minutes to see that but apparently I'm doing something wrong according to you?‍♂️ God damn some people are fucking stupid.

30 second search

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190217-154029_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190217-154029_Facebook.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 52
Another RecTec guy here. Love the 40 pound hopper. Fill it and forget it. Had mine for 6 years so far and not one issue with it.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
It's a common complaint with pellet smokers. It takes a few minutes to see that but apparently I'm doing something wrong according to you?‍♂️ God damn some people are fucking stupid.

didn't mean to insinuate that at all, just that we have had no problems, my son bought one last year ,GM same as ours. No problems. Most of the guys around here who use theirs for professional BBQ'ing, also use GM's. Never heard a complaint from them either. As i said, most traded in their Traegers, for the GM's. One of the reasons i bought one.

Just get whatever one your boyfriend likes.....

I like the set and forget part.
I also love tending to things and the art that goes with it.

Mostly I love smoked deliciousness.

Could there possibly be a place for both?.....
In my life for sure. Most of the days smoking are prepping for a get together with family or friends or just working on my honey-do list around the house.

Then there is the busy bustling stuff and really want smoked good. With 3 kids and busy life, a pellet smoker could be in my future.

Reactions: BigTex