• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "Woodpecker" Angel R.'s Nesika Palma Rifle

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    It's been a while since I've been able to devote time to a build thread. A gun like this doesn't come around all that often and it being built entirely by a single shop is even rarer. It seemed only fitting to use it to get back into the swing of things.

This is a Palma Rifle for a gent out east. It starts with a chunk of tree and patterned off of an Ian Robertson built "Warner Palma" stock. Ian once owned Robertson Composites out of Canada. When he was around they were considered the top shelf choice for prone position shooting rifle stocks.

Sadly, the company is gone. Ian was a friend and hell of a guy.

I bought a used duplicator from a local guy and we spent the last couple weeks fiddling with it and making some improvements on it. First order was ditching the lathe dogs and making a clamping style arrangement to position/locate the back of the stock and the pattern. One slip with a lathe dog and the whole thing goes into the trash. It's near impossible to get everything oriented again. My solution with the alloy clamps eliminates the concern.

Here's photos as I progressed along with getting the general shape sorted out. From here I rolled the piece back inside (duplicators make one hell of a mess) and I'll begin the task of shaping out the final piece with a rasp and a collection of files. There's a couple knots in the wood that have to be dealt with. No biggy, just more work. All in all I think it'll be a really nice piece once its fitted up and finished.

More to come as we chew through this. Not too much longer Angel.

C.

Starting in the parking lot on a 35* windy day. No worries about being cold though. This thing is a workout to use!

DSC_0004.jpg

New locators to replace the lathe dogs:

DSC_0002.jpg

Initial rough cutting, just a general profile and stock removal:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Switch the tools and stylus, now onto some preliminary shaping:

DSC_0005.jpg

Starting to put the "hips" in the grip area:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Done with the router, now back inside to get busy with a 49'er rasp. After a couple hours, its starting to look like something. Almost ready to come out and be shaped to final contour. Then it's off to barreling up the action, fitting the Grunig/Elmiger trigger (an LRI exclusive!) and finally inletting/bedding this bugger.

DSC_0011.jpg

Wow that is going to be damn nice my friend. I think I need to find an excuse to swing through Sturgis in the week or two to get a better look...

I have shot with Angel before and he is a excellent shooter, this isn't going to make it easier for the rest of us, would like to learn more about the trigger and how it is installed and adjusted.
    Joe

Joe,

Think Rolex and BANG!

They are quite nice. The nicest two stage trigger on the planet in fact. I've yet to run across anything better. (including the Anschutz stuff)

From an earlier build:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_00023.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Think Rolex and BANG!

No joke, I wish they would import more of their stuff...

Back on track, Chad looks like you are off to a nice start. I am happy to see you doing an other build thread, (like most I am sure) I really enjoy them.

I carry them. Have them in stock. $600.00 US.

Xpensive. . . The good stuff always is.

I'm the US Service Center for Grunig and Elmiger. Prolly only the factory certified gun plumber in the US (Western Hemisphere?) for them as well.

Worked with them a lot years ago.

Just wandering would a trigger install on a Kelby grizzly or a neseika model e action be a big job, might rob the kids lunch money for a worthy cause.
    Joe

That's funny Joe, I just called Chad about a Grizzly. If it doesn't already have a hanger you are looking at about $1000 installed.

It's been close to a year now since this thread's had any sort of update. Didn't forget about it, some things just take longer.

Four years ago this month I built a prone rifle for a gent based on the Barnard P action. John did very well with the rifle.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/46996-palma-rifle-build-thread.html

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/64254-barnard-palma-rifle-completed.html

Some time went on and the gun started acting a bit cranky. Shots began to string horizontal in a saucer shape and neither of us had a good explanation why. He'd (post bedding) gone on to have the action mirror polished and blued. The theory we'd settled on was that the polishing was a bit too aggressive and it wasn't registering in the bedding properly.

So, we carefully gutted out the old bedding and did it over. (see this old thread): http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/93847-importance-bedding.html

This event evolved into some high minded discussions over the importance of bedding and various schools of thought, procedures, etc.

We were all wrong. As I'm fond of saying, experience is never cheap...

It would have been nice if it would have been the final chapter for that project. Unfortunately, it wasn't. A period of time elapsed and John was fighting the rifle again. What we came to understand is that the wood wasn't done moving around yet. Organic wood blanks (meaning not a laminate) are more susceptible to this sort of thing. John had paid some serious cash for that blank and it was disheartening to have to shelve it. He pulled the BA and stuck it in a chassis stock.

So, that ended that evolution. Rifle has performed to standard ever since.

Bummer of a deal as it was a really nice stick. He'd labored for months hand rubbing the teak oil finish. Neither of us had a good explanation as to why the wood twisted up so bad. He'd done everything right and near as I could tell, I had too. Just a shit sammich all around.

So, as these lessons apply to this project:

I'm hell bent for leather to ensure history doesn't repeat itself as this is a blank that I personally made. John's was delivered as a contoured blank from an outside vendor. Upon shaping this stock I put it by our oven over the last year. The intent was/is for the newly exposed grain (post duplicating/shaping) to have a chance to dry out some more and hopefully "move" as far as its ever going to.

Some may recall that we did a very wild chassis block out of 6AL 4V titanium right before the Shot Show last year.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-h-stiller-tac-30-titanium-bedding-block.html

Well, were going to do it again! Not out of TI this time, instead I'm using a block of aerospace certified, forged 7075 billet stock. (cause for you academic types, 6061 is usually cast plate) My intent here is to ensure that we get the nice wood look to this gun with the assurance that it never behaves like a punk. The owner of this rig lives in the eastern seaboard of the US. Muggy, hot summers. He's bucking for a seat on the Palma Team so it could lead to quite a bit of traveling. I want to ensure this gun never goes through the brain damage John had to endure.

So, were starting with the action from scratch. This is my "poor mans" optical comparator. A $60 solution to a $20K problem. By tracking down some software (shareware is the shizzle!) I was able to create a virtual reticle and pin point features on the action critical for a job like this. Using the control on the machine I can pin point the locations in real time, establish the actual positions to scale, and generate my 3 dimensional point cloud. From here it's a matter of creating surfaces, solids, wireframe geometry and ultimately generating the footprint that the receiver will occupy.

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

So, lets get on with it!

Damn, that sucks when all that hard work and money is lost. All part of the business I suppose.