• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Word to the wise

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    Check the batteries in your gear often.

I failed to do that and this past week found out that one of the AAA Rayovac batteries in my Kestrel leaked and ruined the board. I will say that dealing with the customer service departments from both companies has been GTG. Even though Nielsen Kellerman doesn't cover battery leakage in their warranty, they offered to sell me another one at a greatly reduced cost. Before I went that route though I decided to try Rayovac's CS department to see what could be done on their end since it was their battery. Luckily since the batteries hadn't expired and it ruined the device I could send it in with the batteries and receive a refund. I still have to ship it to Rayovac but it looks promising that they'll cover the cost of a new Kestrel.

Re: Word to the wise

Ouch. I take batteries out of all my sensitive gear, avalanche transceiver, gps, etc. You never know. In my own experience, Lithium cells will never leak. Anyone else have the same experience.

Couldn't agree more. I just got home last weekend after being gone for 7 months, and I realized I never took the AA's out of my Eotech. Luckily, they hadn't leaked, and showed no signs of doing so. I took them out anyways.

I think we (me included) are getting too dependent on battary operated do dads.

I spent a heck of a lot of time in the Arctic, let me tell you, batteries suck. And jungles, that water will get in every electronic gadget you have and shott it out.

I avoid running Alkalines in my essential/expensive equipment. Lithiums for disposables, NiMH for rechargables.

FWIW, I too had Rayovac batteries (AAA) leak in my Kestrel too. I used a Q-Tip with vinegar (I think) to clean the acid and it has worked fine for the past year.

I had checked their website and found out about their warranty. But seeing as it still works, I was thinking of just continuing. Not sure I like the idea of sending my Kestrel across the line for who-knows-how-long. Then probably have to pay duty on it again, if/when they send it back.

New household rule. Don't leave batteries in devices parked for more than 1 month.

i just recently had a duracell leak in my mag light. the cell is still stuck in the body of the light for all i know.

i contacted the battery ppl and they were very prompt on replacing my batteries as well as arranging to cover the costs of replacing my 2d LED mag. when all was said and done i was properly compensated for the damage/loss of my equipment - and it didnt take weeks and weeks.

Energizer lithium cr123 batteries leaked in my surefire L2 flashlight.

I will only be using Surefire branded batteries from now on.

If you go to NIMH rechargable and get in the habit of allows dropping them in the charger, you eliminate the risk of having them leak in your gear over time. The only problem that creates is ..... remembering to put batteries in your gear before you leave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go to NIMH rechargable and get in the habit of allows dropping them in the charger, you eliminate the risk of having them leak in your gear over time. The only problem that creates is ..... remembering to put batteries in your gear before you leave.</div></div>

So how about getting two sets and swapping them out every time? This way you always have fresh batteries but won't forget to grab them before leaving for the range. NiMH batteries are fairly cheap anyways.

In regards to running batteries in the Kestrel, if you remove the batteries and you have a model with a compass, you will need to recalibrate the compass after putting the batteries back in. Best to get batteries that don't leak and leave them in. I did some research on leaking, and it seems that batteries designed to be recharged, along with the lithium batteries are much much less likely to leak. I will also point out that with the new Ni-MH slow discharge batteries, you get a really long life with charge still held in the battery.

I dropped the initial cost on some Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries and have never looked back. Anything that takes a battery at my house has them in it. I have had Energizer and Duracell leak in different stuff and had enough. The Eneloops will also hold a charge well. Bought a kit with charger and then another set of 16 AAs on Amazon, they rock.

I thought I'd give a quick update on this topic. Firstly, I knew my Kestrel was kaput as soon as I changed the batteries and all I saw was a black box for a screen. Unfortunately no amount of cleaning was going to change that and believe me I tried lol. Earlier this week I called Rayovac to check on the status of everything and I have to say I'm quite impressed. At this time they're processing the refund check for a replacement Kestrel so hopefully I'll have it next week. If things look good I might just upgrade to a 4500 instead of getting another 4000 and obviously get some better batteries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornholeo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dropped the initial cost on some Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries and have never looked back. Anything that takes a battery at my house has them in it. I have had Energizer and Duracell leak in different stuff and had enough. The Eneloops will also hold a charge well. Bought a kit with charger and then another set of 16 AAs on Amazon, they rock. </div></div>

I just saw my local Costco has the Eneloop batteries in a AA and AAA pack - I think like 20 or so batteries. I bought 2 but don't remember the cost.

Just another note on Kestrel's warrenty:

From nkhome.com:
    The following issues do not result from a manufacturing defect and are not covered under this warranty:
    ...snip...
    Failed batteries other than an NK rechargeable battery pack and/or damage resulting from corrosion or leakage of any installed batteries other than an NK rechargeable battery pack.

However if you ever end up having no other recourse (unlike the OP who is getting taken care of by the battery manufacturer) you can always use the NK Customer loyalty program - I think this is what one of the other posters was referring too:

Beyond the term of your NK product warranty, we still work to ensure that you can continue to rely on your NK products to meet your needs. You can trade in ANY NK product, no matter how old or damaged, for a generous trade-in allowance toward the purchase of a replacement product.

Here is the list of trade-in values:
    http://www.nkhome.com/support/warranty/customercare.php

By the way, this also works if you want to trade in a current functioning non Horus unit for a Kestre/Horus unit :)