• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Working construction and everyday carry

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
I currently do not carry a pistol everyday. I want to change that but i do not feel comfortable with what i am doing now at work.

I currently carry an m&p sheild in a kydex iwb holster. For everyday running around town it is great and i love my setup. The problem is when i am at work.

I am a plumber so i am constantly on ladders working over my head or laying in a cabinet. I constantly feel like i am printing or my pistol is exposed.

I work in a bigger city a lot and often do service calls in peoples homes. The last thing i want to do is make a little old lady uncomfortable because my pistol is hanging out while i fix her sink.

I do not wear small or tight fitting shirts and anything bigger would look sloppy. My problem is the constant awkward positions i am forced to work in.

I am a firm believer that a gun should be carried on your waist. But i cant help but think a pocket pistol, carried in a wallet type holster, in a cargo pocket would be compromise i can live with.

I really am looking for options that other people in similar professions find works for them. Not sure if a new holster or a new gun is my best solution.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.

I have the same problem. I started just slipping a Ruger LCP in my front pocket. Its not the best set up, but better than no go or unwanted attention. Of course being a old fat fuck doesn't help....

Reactions: JOS and mi223
Could consider a VERY sharp medium fixed blade or a Beretta Bobcat or Minx? One of the little over and under 22 mag derringers?

You might give appendix carry a try? I have a TREX Arms Sidecar and Raptor and they print significantly less than my old Crossbreed Supertuck did.

Reactions: mi223
You might give appendix carry a try? I have a TREX Arms Sidecar and Raptor and they print significantly less than my old Crossbreed Supertuck did.

I have. And i do like it most of the time but it isnt very ideal when you end up hunched down trying to work in tight spaces.

A cargo pocket tends to flop around, especially if you put something with any weight in it.
Something subcompact in a front pocket?

A cargo pocket tends to flop around, especially if you put something with any weight in it.
Something subcompact in a front pocket?

Yes i wonder about that. I usually have a knife or somthing in my fromt pocket, but maybe i could move my knife to my off hand side.

I'm not in construction, but work in a machine/ fab shop. I've found ankle carry to be my best option for my G26 in a Galco ankle glove. My time is 50/50 office/ shop floor. The only time I'm concerned about printing is when I put my feet on my desk for a lunch nap :sleep:
It's not the fastest draw, or the most tactically cool place to carry, but you can get fairly proficient with practice.

Not sure of the name of it but I have seen a leather holster that looked like a large cell phone holder with a flap. It was large enough for a kel tec or similar I think it is called the sneaky Pete idk

Mobile Welder/fabricator i do lots of house/business calls. Sig p938 at 4 oclock in an iwb holster. I quit caring many moons ago about who sees it. Most people never notice unless im bent over right in front of them.

My suggestion is to roll on with what you have. People aren’t going to freak out as much as you think. Well down here in Texas at least...

I laid subgrade block for a day with a G19 just to the right of my cock. Can’t say I’d do it everyday but with a smaller gun it could work.

I'd think ankle carry. Gives you the most freedom of movement but still keeps it on you. Not ideal but for you probably best.

Also doing work at peoples homes where typically the wife is home alone when you show up I could see making them nervous. I wouldnt not carry because of it but it could cost you repeat business if its a personal business. People in general public typically dont give 2 shits but this is a particular circumstance that being sensitive to it could help you out. ..its not the gun but the situation.

Man I tried appendix, I wanted to like it, but it's just too awkward for activity. I farm, raise cows, and mechanic, appendix really limited mobility. Constantly bending over, being in odd positions working on equipment....I went back to 3oclock carry. I'm 5'11 and 185 lbs, so not overweight, it just didnt work for me. It was very nice to draw and shoot from, but just too much of a hindrance for my day to day stuff.

OP, i know you said you dont want to scare an old lady, can you just leave your preferred piece in vehicle when you go on a house call. You could even carry an old snubnose revolver in tool box, that way if you did need something itd be within reach.

As a former plumber I know what you mean about awkward positions, my good friend is still one has been for over 20 years,his everyday carry gun at work is a ruger lcp in a UM pocket holster, it works great for him. We’ve had this discussion several times. Unless you’re a plumber you really can’t relate to how they have to contort their babies to get under a sink, under a utility tub behind the dish washer so on and so on. The holster is cheap $16 ish but every so often he’ll throw it away because it got contaminated or has worn out. I don’t know if you’ve messed with a 380 much but you won’t be under gunned, it has plenty of horse power.

As a former plumber I know what you mean about awkward positions, my good friend is still one has been for over 20 years,his everyday carry gun at work is a ruger lcp in a UM pocket holster, it works great for him. We’ve had this discussion several times. Unless you’re a plumber you really can’t relate to how they have to contort their babies to get under a sink, under a utility tub behind the dish washer so on and so on. The holster is cheap $16 ish but every so often he’ll throw it away because it got contaminated or has worn out. I don’t know if you’ve messed with a 380 much but you won’t be under gunned, it has plenty of horse power.

I think this might be the route i go.

I agree with the 380 while not ideal for a carry gun it is better than not having one, and with the new ammo that has come out they are pretty effective. I bought one for my wife because she had to have, they have a pretty sharp snap to them. I bought some DRT loads and was able to shoot a hog that was wounded, I was pretty impressed for such a small round

Someone above posted about the sneaky Pete cell phone holder. I tried one for my little glock 380, and it’s just too bulky. Would hurt you if you are rolling around working under a sink, plus, it doesn’t look like a cell phone holder, it looks like a big case that you are hiding something in. I’ve gone to a smaller 380 in a little neoprene holster in my front pocket. Looks like a wallet in your pocket. I think the holster name is “Sticky”, I forget, it’s been a while since I bought it. It stays in your pocket if you need to draw. DONT get their ankle strap system. It is so bulky that you can barely get your pants leg down over it. I’m a big guy, 6-2, 260 and with boot cut jeans it still didn’t work. The pocket holster works good though. I know 380 is small, and I prefer a bigger caliber, but sometimes we have to make some compromises.

Man I tried appendix, I wanted to like it, but it's just too awkward for activity. I farm, raise cows, and mechanic, appendix really limited mobility. Constantly bending over, being in odd positions working on equipment....I went back to 3oclock carry. I'm 5'11 and 185 lbs, so not overweight, it just didnt work for me. It was very nice to draw and shoot from, but just too much of a hindrance for my day to day stuff.

Yeah, in that application appendix is not ideal! For those of us stuck in the suburbs appendix is more practical :)

I still ankle carry when I cant carry at 4 oclock.
I have seen too many people have issues with appendix IWB.

Ankle is slow and not sexy but it's always there. And the bast part is if you get in the habit. And you go in a really bad area You can waist carry also

I am in construction and wear a heavy tool belt all day. This basically rules out any waist carry.
I alternate between ankle carry and chest holster built into an under shirt.
for me A G43 is the perfect daily carry. A j frame S&W is my 2nd choice.

For the average guy, quick draw is overrated imho. I can use my brain to gain the extra 1 second needed to draw from deeper concealment.

As mentioned above if you have a truly active job, crawling under houses, up ladders, and in tight spaces, your carry options will be different than someone with a desk job.

I work as a mechanic and carry appendix all day every day, typically a glock 19 with aplc and a spare mag in an iwb mag carrier opposite side of the gun.
Used to carry a Glock 43 in a kydex pocket holster before the dealership I work for changed their policy on concealed carry and it was 100% necessary that it be 100% concealed.
A good belt makes all the difference for carrying aiwb, Im not a very large person (5’11” 200lbs) and with a good belt I can carry a fnx45 tactical with light and red dot comfortably with absolutely no printing.

One option that I use is "smart carry". It rides a little lower than appendix carry so it is more comfortable when sitting or bending over. I carry an HK 45c with an extra magazine. You can get smaller ones which would be even more comfortable. It is essentially a pouch with its own velcro waist band. Thus you can wear it with gym shorts or other beltless pants. It is slower to draw from than iwb or appendix carry, but doable with a modified technique.

I agree your blaster needs to be on you at all times. That said and esp in an NPE (non permissive environment) a blaster is simply what gets you to some thing better.

What do you carry on to every job site? - a bucket with tools or box? Put a G19 or a g26 in there (either Israeli w/ no cover over the TG or ready to rock with a TG cover), put a spare g17 mag in there too - that's the bottom of the bucket (cover / false bottom). Since the bucket has tools, it probably sticks reasonably well to a reasonably handy spot nearest the driver on the van floor too (and a creative cat like you could probably figure out an expedient clamp for anchoring it) + an on body airweight - with Bramy Grips they can be comfortably carried appy by even by the fattest of the fatbodies, or get a sticky style pocket holster. Actually work on your chops from both set ups.

FYI some pants front pockets conceal a j frame better than others - generally speaking pockets that work best are larger and deeper, and accept the hand at a greater angle. Check'em - make a fist, keep your knuckles square to the thigh, and shove your hand down below your wrist - how badly do your knuckles print? (dark colors smooth the effect). If you wear overalls - don't carry appy.

FWIW on ankle - if you're on your knees and at an NPE / job site posted no carry / white hardhat policy - this will be a problem. Ankle has a place - but maybe not for you. If you do carry ankle - work that draw - a lot; and in a manner that is consistent with how you as a civi would actually deploy an ankle sized firearm - ie shit has gone down in danger close proximity, and you likely need to get to cover and start returning fire -> your draw is a part of your stride while moving to cover, and for most folks that's like walking and chewing bubble gum and may require a few efforts esp if return fire is on the move.)

Good luck

I retired from union elevator work in Florida. It is illegal to carry on a construction site here. Hope your state is a better follower of the Constitution

511tactical makes a holster T-shirt that can be worn under another short sleeve shirt
not cheep But an option

So a little follow up to my original post.

I have been carrying my sheild daily at 3 o'clock iwb. Some days it is no big deal. Other days it is really a pain in the ass. I have decided to move forward with purchasing a pocket pistol.

I went to my lgs and did some looking. I thought i was going to walk away with a ruger lcp but i really preferred the m&p bodygaurd.

Now for my question.

The bodygaurd is available with or without a saftey. Normally i am anti saftey on a defense pistol but i cant help but think it may be a nice feature on a gun drawn from a pocket. What is everyones thoughts on a mechanical safety for my situation. I want to get one fairly soon but not sure what route i want to go.

Also any pocket holster recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's help

That's a tough call. Not many good options when you move that much. You can do an athletic chest rig made for running, belly band style. Ankle carry might be ok, even if the pant leg rides up, if the muzzle is covered it might not be obvious what it is.