• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Working Dog Breed Suggestion

Oh shit, I forgot about Dobermans. They are great dogs and highly underrated family companions. They can range from hyperactive to lazy as fuck, but a hyperactive dobie is a goddamn handful. It's like having a Taz the Tasmanian Devil in your house. Going by the breed, they're like the swiss army knife of working dogs. If I had to choose one breed for any situation it would probably be a European Doberman.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I think Dobies are gonna make a comeback soon. They are very good dogs. Haven't seen too many since the Pit Bull rage.

Reactions: gunjunkie45
Oh shit, I forgot about Dobermans. They are great dogs and highly underrated family companions. They can range from hyperactive to lazy as fuck, but a hyperactive dobie is a goddamn handful. It's like having a Taz the Tasmanian Devil in your house. Going by the breed, they're like the swiss army knife of working dogs. If I had to choose one breed for any situation it would probably be a European Doberman.

The ones I cared for ranged from insane killing machines, to aloof and unpredictable, to friendly goofballs.
Photography clubs used to like to come out and photograph them doing various stunts in the fields and such.

That being said, you haven't seen comedy till you've seen a big somewhat friendly Doberman male that is impressive looking with the clipped ears and tail, get loose and head down to the beach for a snack and start trotting towards a bunch of Asians setting up their chicken and honey barbecue, with his mouth hanging open, as they see him coming, start screaming something like "Doberdoggie" and throwing all their chicken towards him as they make a break for it & when you catch up with said male, he is sitting at the now empty pit area enjoying a chicken lunch.

i-fbvjwPd-L.jpg

We're on our second Dane and they've both been exceptional.
Very good watch dogs, exceptional nose and hunting instincts.
But most importantly, the most compassionate, sensitive, and loving friends you could ask for.

100% agree! Best dog I have ever owned. Our Dane is very smart as well. You don't need security lights or home alarm systems with a Dane. She alerts when something is around the house, and it is not barking, she starts pacing and checking the windows. They also notice every single thing new in the yard or house. We have no moles, not snakes, or any other pest on our property as she sits it at the back door to let us know she has eradicated it for us. We live out in the boonies and my wife works from home, I never have concerns with that, because when you have a 130-150lb dog running at you at around 25mph it can be very intimidating.....the funny part is she would likely lick you to death when you actually get within hand distance, but getting there could be scary. They do need room to run though. Oh, and when they lay down and relax, it is best to have a gas mask handy as they have the most foul smelling ass gas ever! Another drawback is the tail. The tail is a sword, it destroys everything in wagging distance.

Reactions: Sieg
OP

From your requirements, I'd have to say Australian Cattle dog or an Airedale (especially since Airedales don't shed; same family as poodles).

I've had friends with both breeds. With eh AC's the thing I remember most, was that they needed to be imprinted early, and tend to only do that once. A second owner is just that, a second owner. The bond will never be the same as the original owner that the dog imprinted with at an early age. Incredibly smart dogs. I worked with one when pushing cattle on horseback one year. That dog was truly amazing. Hand, voice and whistle commands were all within the basket of tricks she had. Fearless and hardworking.

Airedales have the typical terrier/poodle personality. Loyal, inquisitive, playful and harddworking. Incredibly smart as well. I have several friends that used them as trained hunting dogs for coyotes. Truly amazing to watch them work some coyotes in on a stand, and then (while being pursued by the coyotes) when given the command, drop and lay down so the owner could shoot the coyote. Think about that. Predator chasing your ass, and owner gives a command, and you (essentially) lay down, making yourself vulnerable to said predator. That's pretty loyal in my book.

Anyways, both of those breeds seem like they would suit your needs (since a Mali is out). I'll stick with our Mali for now, and one day, when her days have come to end, perhaps we'll switch to a slightly smaller breed as well. But with a fairly decent size house, and most of the kids out the house, Sasha keeps the house busy. LOL! Sometimes, too busy.

We have 2 Saints right now that roam the property. They are the most loyal, friendly, laid back dogs I've ever had. They keep the kids herded in and look intimidating to strangers and they are only 5 months and 6 months old. Both are over 70 lbs already. They are outside dogs, but spend a good amount of time in my shop with me. They just lay on their beds and chill.

What kind of work for the dog?

I have a border collie/ kelpie/ heeler/ rottweiler mix.

The cow dog genes mean she can go anywhere and keep up, with a bit of explosive energy here and there. She's perfectly happy going on 10 mile bike rides trotting along beside me.

When the weather is nasty she'll lay on her bed in the shop while I tinker and wrench on stuff. Just happy snoozing on the couch with the wife too.

I didn't pick her out, but the wife came home with a free puppy and she decided I was her favorite. She can give the kids a wtf look and still listen even though she doesn't really want to. She can't bring herself to defy any of her pack.
She's most happy with the alpha and she's eager to please and play her part as the beta. (In my experience this is common but not guaranteed with females.)

Now I need to talk the wife into a German shorthair. I need a puppy to chase my pheasants.

I'm completely biased as I've exclusively had doberman's for the last 17 years, but they are a wonderful dog. They're great with kids, total clowns, but also very smart, easy to train, etc. Their whole existence is to do whatever it is that makes their master happy. They are very master dependent. True "velcro" dog. Yes, they will follow you into the bathroom.
I have two now. Litter mates, both males. Maverick and Goose. One is a red dobie and the other is a fawn dobie. 1.5 years old. Maverick is very athletic, always "ready to go". Goose, on the other hand, is more than happy to chill at my feet.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
IThey are very master dependent. True "velcro" dog. Yes, they will follow you into the bathroom.

Funny enough my female Ridgeback has no idea of private space either, while the male understands that when on the toilet you might like him to wait outside, the female is all like "I'm here to check that your health is good... like it or not"..

Reactions: supercorndogs
I'm also a 100% Blue Heeler guy. I love all dogs, but I only want to own cattle dogs. My little girl is 15 now and still clear eyed and alert although she's slowing down a lot.

I didn't chime in because the females are pretty small (40lbs), and the males are still smaller than a pit bull.

Reactions: Barneybdb
pic of our great dane when she was about 6. she lived till she was 11. Nobody would get out of the car if she was in the yard. just her size intimadated people. Sweetest dog i ever owned. couldnt swim a lick though...lol

Attachments

• IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    768.8 KB · Views: 41
pic of our great dane when she was about 6. she lived till she was 11. Nobody would get out of the car if she was in the yard. just her size intimadated people. Sweetest dog i ever owned. couldnt swim a lick though...lol

I'm fully aware the GDs are mostly docile but their sheer size still gives me pause.

I was under the impression that while great dogs, most suffered great separation anxiety and depression when left alone. And not that they were destructive but it takes a toll on them mentally. Any truth to that?

I'm fully aware the GDs are mostly docile but their sheer size still gives me pause.

I was under the impression that while great dogs, most suffered great separation anxiety and depression when left alone. And not that they were destructive but it takes a toll on them mentally. Any truth to that?

Are you going to have the dog alone, or is it going to have a fellow dog to be with?

I'm firmly in the camp that whenever possible you should have at least 2 dogs or more so they are not as lonely when you are gone.

Reactions: MtnCreek and Sieg
Neither of my Danes have been destructive and they have full run of the house when we're gone. Their personalities and traits were very similar as that of others I've met. Neither did any damage or accidentally knock anything off a table. They are very docile considering their size and extremely aware of their surroundings inside or out.

They are the king of comfy and sleeping but always ready to go for a recon walk or ride on a split seconds notice.

They have a very playful demeanor to compliment their exceptionally sensitive and compassionate nature. They absolutely love toys, lots of them, and do not destroy them. Very soft mouthed.

Mine were/are both excellent in the wild with great noses and natural hunting instincts. They have speed and amazing agility, think cutting horse like agility. I've seen mine closing on a good sized healthy deer during an orchard chase, I verbally called him off the chase at 15 yards. My first Dane encountered a full sized raccoon mid-morning in the orchard and clamped him over the back of the neck raised him up and shook him hard and tossed it 15+ yards...… threat eliminated with broken neck.

They pay close attention to everything and notice even the slightest changes and become cautious of an area or person they are familiar with if something is different.

They are excellent with children of all ages and most other pets, especially smaller dogs.

Mastiff puppy he'd just met for the first time, total love fest......
i-LNbGqt7-L.jpg

Dane's don't live very long but the caliber of the relationship makes up for it.

Are you going to have the dog alone, or is it going to have a fellow dog to be with?

I'm firmly in the camp that whenever possible you should have at least 2 dogs or more so they are not as lonely when you are gone.

I was curious to the idea specifically with Great Danes.

More to your point, I think each dog is individual and some may prefer a friend and some may not. I think most people would believe a dog would prefer a companion though. I recently read cats actually prefer to be solo. My dog and my cat a very good buddies and seem to like each other very much and the often play. I'll try and post some video from my camera if I get a chance. It's quite humerus. ?

Reactions: kindabitey
I can't speak for that class of dogs, I like bird dogs, but what I can say is that when I found my buddy here, I didn't know what a Llewellyn setter was. Turns out there's a lot of recent "super breeds" and they'll only be registered with CFDSB or some other registry (this one documents DNA and eyes/hips in this breed). So way fewer health problems and you know exactly what you're getting with this breed. They ain't the average setter, that's a fact. Or even the average dog.

Llewellyn's are a little over 100 years but there are other breeds from all classes that date from this century. Supposedly one was bred in Russia that has a few times the sensitivity as a bloodhound in a package the size of a cocker spaniel. And there are quite a few others. Some may be frauds though, so I'd do research into any of these new breeds to see what you're getting.

There's this German Shepherd type dog someone mentioned in a thread I started about Llewellyn setter breeders a month or so back. It may be worth perusing through it to find that breed. It's another "super breed" is all I know, but you can probably PM the guy to learn more.

Good luck!

I was curious to the idea specifically with Great Danes.

More to your point, I think each dog is individual and some may prefer a friend and some may not. I think most people would believe a dog would prefer a companion though. I recently read cats actually prefer to be solo. My dog and my cat a very good buddies and seem to like each other very much and the often play. I'll try and post some video from my camera if I get a chance. It's quite humerus. ?

Yeah, my dog has a cat too. Or maybe it's the other way around... I'd probably say it's best if they're raised together. My dog was about a year or so old, still very much the puppy (he's seven now and still a puppy) and I took in this wretched little kitten that had be abandoned. She cleaned up and they sleep together, sometimes under a blanket, which is funny. They play and he used to be rough with the kitten until she grew up and got claws.

I had a cocker that my ex took and he's 14 now. He wasn't too happy about the puppy or the cat, but he tolerated 'em. Every one is different, but it just seems to work better if you put two together when young, dogs, cats, whatever.

I usually take my dog everywhere, when I can anyway. He hates being left behind more than anything else, and loves riding in the truck more than anything else, so I try and oblige. They don't ask for much.

Re dogs and cats. Female dog and male cat seems to have the best chance of working. Male dogs I've had lack the tender touch and compasion toward the cat. Female cat is doubled down on crazy. Female + Cat.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I'm completely biased as I've exclusively had doberman's for the last 17 years, but they are a wonderful dog. They're great with kids, total clowns, but also very smart, easy to train, etc. Their whole existence is to do whatever it is that makes their master happy. They are very master dependent. True "velcro" dog. Yes, they will follow you into the bathroom.
I have two now. Litter mates, both males. Maverick and Goose. One is a red dobie and the other is a fawn dobie. 1.5 years old. Maverick is very athletic, always "ready to go". Goose, on the other hand, is more than happy to chill at my feet.

I had a red as a kid. He was the nicest dog on the planet but looked scary as hell.

There was a hell of a bloody fight instantly between him and my German wirehair since they were both about 2 when we got the dobie. The wirehair kicked his ass and then they were best friends till the day he died.

I haven't been able to bring myself to find another one because of the heart health issues. Only getting to spend 7-8 years with them sucks.

Totally agree with Dune! AIREDALE....intelligent low maint and can definitely get the job done. Look at their history they've been and are still used for many things. I've had several and all are loyal, smart an definitely look out for their family. Better going with a "hunting" line of dale also.

Also be prepared for laughs there's a reason they are the "joker" in a deck of cards.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 50330e09bb71f27ecbbd9b97fd54f8e5.jpg
    50330e09bb71f27ecbbd9b97fd54f8e5.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 30
  • war dog 2.jpg
    war dog 2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 25
Might I suggest my neighbors pit/gsd mix. Can be found tied to a tree barking. Would be considered a rescue on several levels. (Poor dog needs exercise, owners suck, and if he gets loose again running at large may find himself in a worm hole).

Reactions: MtnCreek
Yeah, my dog has a cat too. Or maybe it's the other way around... I'd probably say it's best if they're raised together. My dog was about a year or so old, still very much the puppy (he's seven now and still a puppy) and I took in this wretched little kitten that had be abandoned. She cleaned up and they sleep together, sometimes under a blanket, which is funny. They play and he used to be rough with the kitten until she grew up and got claws.

I had a cocker that my ex took and he's 14 now. He wasn't too happy about the puppy or the cat, but he tolerated 'em. Every one is different, but it just seems to work better if you put two together when young, dogs, cats, whatever.

I usually take my dog everywhere, when I can anyway. He hates being left behind more than anything else, and loves riding in the truck more than anything else, so I try and oblige. They don't ask for much.

I really like black mouth curs. I can’t seem to get away from them. My current cur has a bit of a ridgeback. I really like the Carnathan dogs. I do think though that people worry more about breeds than they do bloodlines, temperament, and individuals.

Here is a working breed............Bernese Mountain Dog..........this is my pup the day I took her home..............4 months old tomorrow...........she was a few days short of 3 months in this picture............

Last edited:
Friends have switched from Rottys to Dobermans due to the lifespan...

He mentioned that some breeds make homeowners insurance and Umbrella policies more money.

It stinks to think in those terms but a great dane is huge and has a powerful bite... but insurance companies love them over pit bulls...

Rescue mutt, best “working” dog.

6844DA69-D4ED-4571-AF89-14A13E53C8CB.jpeg

All kidding aside Shepherd/Rottie/? Mix. Super smart, eager to please & natural working intuition and a lot less potential genetic issues than a over-bread pure bread.

...and cheaper.

92797565-8469-49DC-86F2-FC2C4AF67597.jpeg

Reactions: MarinePMI
I’ll throw this in here. You said you wanted bigger and you were used to bullies. A well bred American bulldog. They’re big and smart. Best dog I ever had.

I’ll throw this in here. You said you wanted bigger and you were used to bullies. A well bred American bulldog. They’re big and smart. Best dog I ever had.
True, but they can be a bit aggressive, no? Have an old friend that has three (King, standard and short; male, female, male respectively), and watched one day (while calculating dope for a match at the kitchen table) as the three went ape shit over attention competition, which led to an all out fight with teeth and blood flying. Long story short, when my friend and husband stepped in to break it up, they were so caught up in the melee, that she had one of them bite her leg by accident. Accident or not, she ended up with several deep puncture wounds to her Achilles's heel, and two of the dogs with torn ears and puncture marks on bellies and legs (the female is not to be trifled with; when she gets going, she literally goes berserk).

The big male (easily 100lbs) is pretty docile, but once riled up, he doesn't stop either. They're good dogs, and normally well natured and affectionate. But they can be a handful if you're not careful.

True, but they can be a bit aggressive, no? Have an old friend that has three (King, standard and short; male, female, male respectively), and watched one day (while calculating dope for a match at the kitchen table) as the three went ape shit over attention competition, which led to an all out fight with teeth and blood flying. Long story short, when my friend and husband stepped in to break it up, they were so caught up in the melee, that she had one of them bite her leg by accident. Accident or not, she ended up with several deep puncture wounds to her Achilles's heel, and two of the dogs with torn ears and puncture marks on bellies and legs (the female is not to be trifled with; when she gets going, she literally goes berserk).

The big male (easily 100lbs) is pretty docile, but once riled up, he doesn't stop either. They're good dogs, and normally well natured and affectionate. But they can be a handful if you're not careful.
They are known to have problems with other dogs. That’s the Bully in them. They enjoy the fight for a lack of a better way to put it. In my experience, the females are the ones that tend to cause more problems. Training is a key as it is with any dog. It also all depends on the dog. I currently have 2 English bulldogs. One is lazy, stubborn, kinda fat, and doesn’t want anything but food and belly rubs. The other, she is high strung, lean, aggressive, territorial, neurotic, hates her belly rubbed but likes a head scratch. You just don’t know till you have the dog what they’ll turn out to be.

I’ve had a bunch of different breeds over my life and I can say without a doubt, if I were to get another, it would be an American bulldog. They are working dogs that are great with a family. But dogs are like trucks; Chevy vs Ford

Cane Corzo. Unless you hut pigs, then Dogo Argentino. Breading the white coat into them led to some skin and hearing problems that I don't believe the Cane has.

Best dog I have owned is a mutt we got from the pound when our Pit bull died. I was looking all over for a Cane or Dogo. Went to pound and found this guy.

Attachments

• IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 24
I’m pretty sure I don’t want to wade in here but here goes.....

We are looking for a new pup in the next year or so and want to make sure that we aren’t overlooking a breed. We have had bully breeds for over 20 years and want to go to a larger dog, I’m not going to get into the whole pit bulls are the devil discussion (some are).

We are pretty set on getting a Boerboel but also like the characteristics of the Black Russian Terrier. We like confident, biddable, intelligent but aloof with strangers, short haired dogs so the Russian is more than likely out. We are definitely not looking for a Malinois, they’re just a little high strung for us.

We have no problem with muzzling, kenneling or leashing them when visitors are over or for vet visits.

What ever you do dont get wolves. I love mine to death but goddamnit if I had to do it over Id get beagles.

So much depends on what you want the dog to do. There is probably a breed designed to do whatever OP decides he wants in a dog...OP just has to be more specific with his requirements.

Guarding (junkyard vs family)
Herding
companion or therapy dog
scent trailing
hunting..pointing, retrieving, chasing animals back to camp, flushing game
sight hound
scent hound
working cattle
working sheep
working birds (like a corgi)
service animal (what kind of service do you need)
police or military service dogs

With enough details about what OP really wants, I'm pretty sure someone in the world has already designed and bred a dog for just that.

I have been lucky to own many dogs of different types. Grew up with Airedales and loved them although I think they have changed over time and not for the better (I do understand that may come from too small of a sampling). I have trained Border Collies for use on the ranch and for cattle dog competition. Have had a standard Poodle - great dog but seemed a little limited on natural protection instinct. Had a Black Russian Terrier that was one of my favorites - awesome personality and protective but very kind - Loved that dog and was very upset when we lost him. Currently have 3 GSD's one high level schutzhund level 3 that is a bit too intense for my taste lol (my wifes dog imported from Germany). My son has a brother of that dog and I have a male out of the wife's dog first litter. Love the GSD's and think they are as smart or possibly smarter than the border collies but are stronger willed and take more intensity to train. I would stay away from anything that doesn't come from a working line if you decide on a GSD.

Re dogs and cats. Female dog and male cat seems to have the best chance of working. Male dogs I've had lack the tender touch and compasion toward the cat. Female cat is doubled down on crazy. Female + Cat.
my 85lb german shepherd(zeus) cuddles with my kids male cat (Sammy) it's also very much in how they are raised and introduced, same dog produces police/military dogs. I've had females that don't like any gender cat, so? it can be done if done correclty

Good evening,

I'll cast my vote for english mastiff. We had two. At the same time. Big, giant, enormous, drool machines that will love you like oxygen and do everything they can to please, protect, and make you laugh. Cuddle bugs that think they are lap dogs. Ours were gentle giants great with kids, but intuitive to intent of a stranger. Had a group of kids approach us at a park and the older one was especially patient and calm... turns out one of the kids was blind and he picked up on it before the wife and I did. He was super cautious to not knock into her with his 210lb mass or smack her with his tail (He was still growing). Really neat to witness. Had the two of them out on a walk and were bull rushed by a pair of Aussie something-or-other dogs. Both held their ground and were protective without being aggressive. All instinct, they never had an ounce of protector training, just obedience and a strong willed pair of masters. But both had an expiration date right at 10 years. Had comments from non-dog people and people scared of dogs at how comfortable they were around them despite their size. Man, do I miss them.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron