• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worst firearm you've ever purchased, and the one that surprised you?

S&W model 39 Worst gun I ever owned
9D4524A8-8704-4ACF-94CF-49F848BCFF8D.jpeg

Reactions: kopcicle
The worst gun was the DP12. First time out- shooting hi brass 00 and it fired both barrels at once. Called Standard and was told I had to punch out the roll pins and adjust the trigger myself. Ok fine, I did. Awhile later a buddy was running low #8 and, during fire, the entire forearm broke in to 3 pieces. Called Standard who accused me of dropping the gun. I sent pictures showing the gun had zero marks other than where the plastic broke (and a gun this expensive should've been able to handle a drop anyways). I had to pay close to 100 bucks to ship it to them. They sent it back fixed, but didn't say what was wrong. I had to call them for them to admit that the gun left their factory "out of spec". I sold it for what I had in to it on gun broker to a guy that didn't care and "had to have it" during the craze in 2020.

Best impulse buy was an Arsenal Sam7SF I picked up after I sold (for a profit) a couple of Century RAS47s I had come across on the cheap. I fired them both, about 250 rounds a piece, but after reading about the long term issues decided to ditch them both. Couldn't be happier. The milled Bulgarian slut runs like a top dirty, dry or otherwise and is amazingly accurate for this type of rifle. A little over 1 moa from the bench and I'm far from an expert "group" shooter. I threw a Vortex Sparc Solar on it with a BFG Vickers sling and a Surefire light in a mount from Khyber Customs and bought a bunch of Bulgi steel mags to feed it. Couldn't be happier.

Also, I saw someone mention the XD 9mm. I gave my original with night sights to my wife and bought her an XDs 9mm for CC while getting myself the Mod 2 9mm 4" and 3". Both of mine have PRP Extreme triggers and Talon Pro grips. I carry one or the other (or both) every day and haven't even considered buying another pistol. They've all run everything, including tons of Tul, flawlessly. Currently the SC is full of HST 147s and the Service is full of Underwood 147 +P+.

Thanks for tuning in to my blog.

Reactions: jpop8807
Lol I used to want one of those soooo bad. Blame the hitman video games for the hardballer.

I watched a video I can't remember who it was by, but they compared Rock island, Sig emperor scorpion 1911, Kimber of some kind, and the Wilson combat. The Wilson had the best groups, the sig/kimber weren't that far off, and the rock island did well for 500 lol. Then they did a combat simulation thing. Drop all of them in dusty ass dirt, and do some run and gun on steel. The Wilson, and Kimber both did horrible, the sig did really good, and the RIA did way better than anyone thought(all using whatever the equivalent of standard military ball ammo. The guy goes on saying that Kimber in the last few years has gone to shit they aren't really worth the price, get an older one for better quality control, He expected the Wilson to dominate, but he said due to the tight tolerances which contribute to accuracy it did horrible dirty. He said if he had to trust his life to any of them the RIA arms was his second pick great price point, and loose tolerances(standard issue accuracy). Sig 1911 scorpion came in first.
A friend had a really expensive Kimber back in '16. I can't remember the model, but he paid just around 2k for it. He brought it out and ran some ball target ammo and it did fine. Decided to try some HST and it stove pipe repeatedly. He called Kimber who told him to send it to them so they could match the feed ramp to that round. He asked what was going to happen if he ran different hp ammo. Silence. He sold it. Luckily at the time I had a 5" XD 45 that ran absolutely everything I put in it. Great gun. Friend went out and got one with what he made from the Kimber and had about a grand to spare. I sold it to my brother when I decided to stick with 9mm and he lost it in a pawn shop for 200 bucks. Really wished I'd have kept it.

I have an MKII 22/45 (bull barrel). It was hardly ever shot (got from from brother in law who bought it new in 1991) worked it up with a volquartsen complete frame and put an MOA rail on it with a red dot sight.

I love it. I can shoot the pistol 100 yards at cans and hit them all day long.

My big problem with the MKII is that it’s a whore to take apart and get back together.

Much rather have a newer MKIV

Mark iv is badass, haven't done any volquartsen upgrades yet.

Not mine, just a photo, but it might 'surprise you'.

1670862420815.png

S&W model 39 Worst gun I ever owned View attachment 8018760
S&W 39. Four trips back to the mothership and finally it ran. The first time I needed it the first round bulged the barrel, and it was done. It went back to S&W in pieces with an extremely polite and creative review. I received a refund and a gift certificate that I used to purchase a 45LC N frame.

Best/surprise? Ruger Security Six. fixed sights perfectly regulated for 158gr .357 All it ever did was work.

S&W 39. Four trips back to the mothership and finally it ran. The first time I needed it the first round bulged the barrel, and it was done. It went back to S&W in pieces with an extremely polite and creative review. I received a refund and a gift certificate that I used to purchase a 45LC N frame.

Best/surprise? Ruger Security Six. fixed sights perfectly regulated for 158gr .357 All it ever did was work.
Took a while but S&W made it right. Good for them. I've got a 625 thats the sweetest shooting handgun I've got. The Anaconda is a bit more gun but Colt did them right. Wont go wrong with either a smith or a Colt but the Colt's tend to hold value better.

Rifles. I don't recall ever having a poor rifle. I do have two surprises though.
Remington 788. I've owned several but the one that comes to mind is the 22-250. My cousin called it an automatic centerpunch.

The Franken-FAL. There's pics elsewhere, I won't bore you. It's a bit of a finicky eater. I mean it will eat anything, but its accuracy is seriously affected by diet. With "better" factory ammunition it's at least a 2MOA or better depending on what I've had to eat. Make accommodations for its gastric peculiarities (it likes specific powder, 168gr and seating depth) and it's inside 1MOA if I am. Surprised? I am. I have two Belgian FAL's and a DSA SA58 that are nothing like this one collection of parts. I'm experienced enough at FAL that I work with mostly good parts and usually have decent results but in the just short of 20 receivers I've built on, this particular beast gives no clue why it is accurate. So yeah, surprised.

Walther P22, complete POS!
Oh that's crazy I wanted to buy my gf a 22 kit gun (something that looks and functions like a normal slide action pistol in 22) The p22 or the p22 m was the main one that kept getting recommended for the price.

i was so confused lol

my friend was in Iraq in the beginning, his squad didnt have optics yet

his mom bought several ACOGS, because he told her send what he has on his AR at home

"care package" they got there...and wasnt allowed to use them..they werent issued

he has pisseed to say the least
No no no so nothing while used on deployment. Basically it's a civilian firearm everyone does a group buy on and they usually get some fance engraving. Then when you get back from deployment you get your whatever gun your unit decided to buy. Sometimes they set it up if you don't have a lot of money where you do a payment plan, and then the unit whoever higher up send the full cash buy stuff to the gun company directly. Usually getting whatever gun at a much much better price then normal. One unit did RIA 1911's everyone agreed to buy one they all gun them I think for around 200-250 a piece. You get the gun when you get back. Ya unless you're some speciality unit you usually can only use what is issued, some units let you get away with it but only if it's milspec.

Reactions: brianf
I cannot say I’ve owned a bad gun.
Shotgun
Kolar two barrel skeet set​
Keighoff k-80 two barrel skeet set​
Kreighoff K-20 w 30” Parcours barrels.​
Berett 687 Gold (no fucking “E”) 12/20 ga set​
I did sell my Mod 12 and 42. Both were wonderful early versions of these shotguns in very desirable configs.​
Win SX-1 - set up for skeet​
Win SX-1 set up for SC and 5 stand.​
Win SX-1 that is an absolute work of art done by Ken Hutst who has sadly passed. Highly engraved w gold animals and extraordinary wonderful back grounds and detailed art work​
Here are a few pics in the white which shows the work off best. I keep showing it out of respect and friendship for Ken Hutst who was a super guy in addition to being a great craftsman.​
Benelli Black Eagle - goose killer and it works in freezing rain5​
Handgun
Tarus SS .357​
Rifles
Seekins action in a Jae chassis with a Proof SS SMU barrel trigger tech Diamond w flat shoeand Leupold Mk 5 5-25.​
Deviant action in a JAE chassis w Bartlien 400modbb barrel, TT Diamond pro curve, and a ZCO 5-27​
Rem 700 5R Gen 2 SS w vortex PST 3-15 on it. Does deer just fine. O​
I have to say I’m pretty happy w all of these guns.​
I’ve never have had one I wished I didn’t buy​
If you had a Model 12 , 28ga.....I'll leave my comments to myself. :) :)

If you had a Model 12 , 28ga.....I'll leave my comments to myself. :) :)
Nope, didn’t say it was a 28 ga, many of which are modified 20 ga. It was a 1947, two pin vent rib, WS1, 12ga, skeet gun in all original condition. Just haven’t shot it in years and years so time to let it go to a grand fella who loves it.

All good

Reactions: FWoo45 and BytorJr
Nope, didn’t say it was a 28 ga, many of which are modified 20 ga. It was a 1947, two pin vent rib, WS1, 12ga, skeet gun in all original condition. Just haven’t shot it in years and years so time to let it go to a grand fella who loves it.

All good
Very true...and HTG 28ga is a rare bird indeed. And shocking how many people think the 0.410 is "Model 12" - I've lusted after a real 28 for years; but price too high and I'd rather get a Fabarm O/U.

Reactions: Baron23
Worst rifle: TrackingPoint 6.5 CM bolt. Novel idea for 10 years ago, but poor execution/ performance.

Best rifle: Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro W/ Nightforce ATACR optics. Consistently shoots 1/3-1/2 MOA

Worst pistol: Walter P22. Accuracy of a 2 year old throwing a ball at 3 yards.

Best pistol: Staccato 2011. Incredibly accurate, excellent balance.

Not a bad gun but I bought it reluctantly because it only comes with 10-rounds mag capacity: Sig P365. I've actually learned to like this little gun. I can conceal-carry it without wearing baggy clothes, I can even conceal-carry it wearing basketball shorts. That and my Glock are my carry guns.

Best gun I have that I've shot: CZ Tactical Sport (Blue) - sweetest shooting handgun I own, an absolute pleasure. Honorable mention: B&T GHM9.
Best gun I have not yet shot but I just love it: Beretta 1301 Comp Pro. It's just a fun gun to look at and hold. I hope to shoot it this winter.
Best gun I have that isn't special but I just love it anyways: Beretta M9A3. I just love the look of it! It is OD Green.

I've got a Mk III Easy to pull apart and clean. Harder to get back together

Once you do put it back together a few times, it gets easier

The MK series pistols are lots of fun.

M

edited to add: I wanted a lightweight .22 rifle 'for mom' and had a choice of a Rem 597 and a 10/22. 10/22 had a light grey stock on it and the 597 was darker.

Bought the 597

Lots of FTE even after putting Volquatsen parts in there. Didn't have the FTF issues some did. Just FTE.

It was an accurate, fun to shoot little rifle when it ran.

Got tired of thinking about the FTEs and what it'd take to fix it so consigned it. The LGS took it with them to a show and it sold shortly after down in Richmond.

M

Mine was a pain in the ass until I realized the rails the bolt rides on don't need to be tight. If the grub screws that hold those rails in place are cranked down it'll distort the whole receiver and the bolt doesn't want to run.

I have a 597HB that's surprisingly accurate and runs from all 3 generations of magazines without ever failing to feed or eject.

Mark iv is badass, haven't done any volquartsen upgrades yet.

Do it. The trigger is 100x better than stock. I don't remember why but install was rather tedious. I seem to remember fighting 1 spring and everything else dropped right in and worked.

Reactions: AngryKoala
Ones that suck:
  • S&W 22A Pistol
    • Constant Light Strikes
    • Tried many options, still sucks
  • Kel-Tec Sub 2000
    • Reliable, but…
    • Trigger blows
    • Impossible to get cheekweld
Ones I love:
  • Tikka T3
    • Just does everything well
    • Precision
    • Quality
    • Trigger
  • Beretta A300 Outlander
    • Reliable, over 2000 rounds with no issues
    • Cycles target loads no problem
    • Priced right
  • Spikes Tactical AR15 (really any of my ARs)
    • Reliable
    • Cycles everything
    • Reliable
    • Accurate enough
  • Many more
    • Key factors are reliability, accuracy, enjoyable to use

Last edited:
Best-1957, J C Higgins 270 Winchester. Bought used by my parents for $75 (lotta money in late 60's $$$$'s for my family) and given to me as a Christmas present in 1967. I still have it and it's still a .270 only now it 's sporting a McMillan stock and a new Hart barrel on the Belgian FN Mauser action they were originally built with. Shoots great!
Most disappointing- I had to really think about this but have to say all three AR's I have owned, including a top-tier maker, they were all just.... disappointing. I sold them all.

Best-1957, J C Higgins 270 Winchester. Bought used by my parents for $75 (lotta money in late 60's $$$$'s for my family) and given to me as a Christmas present in 1967. I still have it and it's still a .270 only now it 's sporting a McMillan stock and a new Hart barrel on the Belgian FN Mauser action they were originally built with. Shoots great!
Very cool
Got any pics.
Those old FN commercial Mausers are masterpieces and quite undervalued.
Companies dont build em like that anymore..

I got a brand new 870 20ga for my 12th birthday right before bird season. Would have been a 98 or 99 manufacture.

It's been perfect ever since. I still use it fairly often for birds.
We could be almost twins, my 870 youth model 20G was bought halves with my dad when I was 12 I still have it and it has always gone bang.

Worst.
Sig P220 Combat
Was OK with FMJ, anything else (hollowpoint, SWC, etc) would FTFeed.
Had 2 barrels, 1 threaded, 1 not.....both did the same.
Sold it for a loss and was happy to have it gone.....POS.

Surprised.
Ruger 77-22 Allweather .22LR
Took all of 2 minutes to get the trigger to 6 ounces.
I could fire 200 rounds of (at the time) cheapo CCI MiniMag HP into a dime size group at 50 yards.
It would hang with the Anschutz all day long.
Yes, I know....not the usual 77-22.
Shot out the barrel, tried a GM and a Lilja....it never would shoot like that original factory barrel again.

Reactions: reNickulous
Ones that suck:
  • S&W 22A Pistol
    • Constant Light Strikes
    • Tried many options, still suck
  • Kel-Tec Sub 2000
    • Reliable, but…
    • Trigger blows
    • Impossible to get cheekweld
Ones I love:
  • Tikka T3
    • Just does everything well
    • Precision
    • Quality
    • Trigger
  • Beretta A300 Outlander
    • Reliable, over 2000 rounds with no issue
    • Cycles target loads no problem
    • Priced right
  • Spikes Tactical AR15
    • Reliable
    • Cycles everything
    • Reliable
    • Accurate enough
  • Many more
    • Key factors are reliability, accuracy, enjoyable to use
I bought the little lady a Sub 2K and a bunch of Glock 33s. I'm 6'6" and basically had to hang the stock over my shoulder to get in the sights. Maybe one day I'll get an MI mount and put a high red dot on it. Really cool concept and ran just fine..

Worst: Gen 1 Beretta 1301 Tactical I bought on clearance for $800 right before COVID hit. Constant feeding issues and factory defective bolt release that caused double feeds that were be considered fatile in a gunfight. I'll never buy another Beretta shotgun. Only owned it for a couple weeks before I sold it at a $400 profit. My old 870 has never malfunctioned. The Glocks I've owned have all disappointed as well.

Most surprising shouldn't have suprised me. My Dan Wesson Vigil is a 9mm lightweight commander that is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Factory trigger is excellent. Recoil and muzzle rise is negligible and it's more reliable than any of the many Glocks I own. It has proved to me that a properly built 1911 is indeed what all the boomers are right about. Poorer quality 1911s need not apply. I also have a CZ P10C that in one year I put over 10,000 rounds through with only 4 malfunctions with the worst ammo I could find. My experience with the CZ had me sell all of my Glocks.

Real friends don't let friends be Glocksuckers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1911hombre