• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Worth suppressing a .45 ACP pistol?

Ragsdale 30 cal

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2011
I'm considering buying a Silencerco Osprey and a Stormlake threaded barrel.

It looks awfully cumbersome. Unlike a rimfire pistol with a rimfire suppressor, a 1911 with an Osprey looks very nose heavy and long.

The largest handgun I've shot is the Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum with 8.38" barrel.

According to Smith & Wesson, the 500 Magnum I shot weighs 72 oz. and has an overall length of 15".

A 1911 with Osprey will weigh 51 oz. and have an overall length of 17".

So, it will be 21 oz. lighter and 2" longer than the 500 Magnum.

For those who own a suppressed handgun, do you find it cumbersome?

Re: Worth suppressing a .45 ACP pistol?

Nope, not cumbersome at all. I have an FN45T and an HK USP45 Tactical that I run with my Osprey. They are somewhat long, but in no way is it front heavy. With the 1911 you spoke about, you probably won't even be able to tell its hanging off the front of your gun.

Its not really any bigger or heavier than comparable 9mms . Its less rounds , but it boils down to your personal choice - 9mm versus .45ACP ... I do think that a 9mm suppressed pistol shooting subsonic ammo is quieter than a silenced .45 shooting standard ammo ( which is subsonic ) , because of the smaller bore ...

Suppressed 22 pistol is my favorite but, I prefer a suppressed 45 over the 9mm. I don't find it cumbersome at all. I shoot a 1911 with a YHM cobra II.

Also, if you've never owned a pistol suppressor before, any doubt you may have had about weight or length will go right out the window the first time you shoot it. There's something about a suppressed pistol, or rifle for that matter, that will make almost any grown man grin like an idiot.

Getting a 45 can is best for the overall use with lower cal. and no it feels great with it at the end IMO.

Hell yeah, it's worth it, as long as you get a modern, quiet can like a Ti-RANT. Just a few years ago all .45 cans were LOUD. But now there are several great choices.

Your .45 will NOT be front heavy with a modern can on it. They're lightweight. Besides, a heavy can probably wouldn't cycle the action, even with a booster.

It's stupid fun!

Do it, that's a great combination. The weight of the suppressor practically eliminates muzzle flip and the suppression of the Osprey makes it very comfortable to shoot. You will need tall sights, though, as the top of the Osprey is about even with the top of the sights.

I shoot a Sig P220 with an Osprey. Great setup, not muzzle heavy. The Osprey is quiet, and and makes the .45 pleasant to shoot with out hearing protection. I do not think that you will be disappointed with your choice of caliber or can.

I have a .45 AWC can on order and of all the things I have pending and owned and on order its what I am most excited about. Heard a friend shoot his, shot his personally also and now I cant wait. PG

Not much heavier feeling than just the gun, IMHO.

Definitely worth suppressing since almost all .45acp ammo is sub-sonic.

IMG_8476.jpg

I love my Osprey on a 1911 host. Really feels great. Very reliable and accurate.

This is a buddy of mine shooting my Osprey on one of my 1911s recently. He had no trouble hitting targets at 50-yards with this setup.

bern1911OspreyLarge.jpg

The suppressor doesn't make the setup feel front heavy. The balance is good. I say go for it.

Mark

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQcg0laeTU4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQcg0laeTU4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

AAC Ti Rant 45 on my TS Customs 1911 in 45 ACP.
If you do get a Can for your 45 make sure you have plenty of ammo!

The one argument against that I read, and it makes sense, is that once you add the length of the suppressor to the pistol, and hold it in any pistol shooting stance, you will be better off (from the perspective of length) with a suppressed SBR. I followed this train of thought and went the SBR route.

That said, suppressed shooting tends to spoil your taste for shooting unsuppressed, so chances are I will be getting a handgun suppressor sooner rather than later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one argument against that I read, and it makes sense, is that once you add the length of the suppressor to the pistol, and hold it in any pistol shooting stance, you will be better off (from the perspective of length) with a suppressed SBR. I followed this train of thought and went the SBR route.
</div></div>

I could see that being true, luckily for my checkbook we can't have SBR's in this stupid state.

Hopefully that will change next year......
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Osprey on a 1911 host. Really feels great. Very reliable and accurate.

This is a buddy of mine shooting my Osprey on one of my 1911s recently. He had no trouble hitting targets at 50-yards with this setup.

bern1911OspreyLarge.jpg

The suppressor doesn't make the setup feel front heavy. The balance is good. I say go for it.

Mark</div></div>

Yep I totally agree. Compared to the unsupressed gun the balance was a little different and it took a mag or two to get the feel of the gun down. Shooting with both eyes open was very important as well due to the partially obscured sight picture. After that though I had no problem hitting the target. I was very impressed and will be purchasing an Osprey...hopefully sooner rather than later!

I knew I should have shaved that morning! Try to concentrate on the beauty of the weapon and not my ugly mug!!
laugh.gif

I have an Osprey 40 (same length as the 45) and the length while definitely there it isn't bothersome at all. I enjoy it a great deal.

I'm going to +1 on the AAC TiRant. But either the Tirant or the Osprey is a great choice. No special ammo needed to shoot "sub-sonic" with a suppressed 45. Just buy and go.
Enjoy!

WTF !!! That is the BEST to suppress. Nothing better than a pumpkin hitting ya at 850- 1000 fps and cant hear it till it's over. The 450 Osprey was the first can I bought.( And the most fun )

I've got an osprey on a sig 220... He'll yes it's worth every penny and every day of waiting... So awesome.

I bought a Gemtech Blackside and a B & T Impulse II both in .45 to fit a Colt 1991 (officer's model). Both cans were extremely noisy and did not perform as intended dry. Suppression shooting them wet was superior but messy. The B & T Impulse II on my 9mm HK USP works great dry. I don't understand what the problem is. I have been told that .45 pistols are hard to suppress. I will try an Osprey on my .45 when I go to pick up the Sparrow which I have on order.