• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Wotac 4.5-14x44 FFP - reviews?

BlindRacer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
I've been dealing with a cheapy Tasco 3-9 with horrible parallax, on my R700 308 for over a year, because I can't decide on a quality budget scope.

I found a newly released scope from Wonders Optics. It's a FFP mil/mil 4.5-14x44.

I've been looking for something mil/mil for around this price range, and came across this.

Has anyone had a chance to use/ review this scope yet?

What I'm shooting will be paper and steel, ranging from 100 to about a max of 500 yards. Usually in the 2-300 yard range.

Do you think this scope will work well for my needs?

I've always heard great things about Wonders Optics customer service, be I've generally found little review of the actual scopes. Do they generally have good clarity? Eye Relief usable and friendly, or are they difficult to find the sweet spot?

I don't think I need something of extreme quality. This rifle is just for fun, so as long as I'm getting something to learn on, that is a good jump up from the 3-9 Tasco, I think I'll be happy.

Thanks for all your help.

Re: Wotac 4.5-14x44 FFP - reviews?

Thanks for the reply. I actually contacted him with regards that that specific thread about a month back.

I'm fine with giving a small business a shot, and may order through SWFA to hopefully reduce any potential problems.

What I'm looking for though, is actual reviews of his scopes. I know there are some bad copies out there, but what about all the good copies. How do people like them? I've read all the reviews that I could find, but most are pretty dated, and of older generations of his line by this point.

And also, has anyone had a chance to try this specific scope...the new FFP model that he released?

It looks like that is the same scope as the BSA and Falcon. Read the reviews for the BSA it is about $100 less. Mine has decent glass and tracks well.

BSA 4-14x FFP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperSGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like that is the same scope as the BSA and Falcon. Read the reviews for the BSA it is about $100 less. Mine has decent glass and tracks well.

BSA 4-14x FFP </div></div>

So is this a recommendation for the BSA over the Wotac? I've been reading reviews on scopes, and looking through the forums for what is recommended for what feels like forever. While I'd love to spend more on a scope, I just can't.

What is the best mil/mil scope I can get for under $400? I want more zoom than the fixed 10x's. Is there something out there that I'll be happy with, and will work well enough for me to learn on? I've been through all the budget scope threads, and it seems there are people who love one scope, and others who think it's trash. It's so hard to find something that will just work.

I was on the same thing last month : Looking for a nice , decent but cheap scope ... something of the kind "best bang for the money" type ... and I think I found it . It is a Mueller scope , the 4.5-14x40 Tactical 30mm scope . I received it today and I am impressed by the clarity and the light of this thing . Very well made , and it cost $169.95 I ordered the optional sunshade at $9.95 so for $180.00 I got a nice 30mm scope with parallax that looks terrific and so far the glass is on a pair with my Nikon Monarch SF . Of course it is not FFP and the reticle while being Mildot , the turrets are 1/4 Moa , but who cares ... I want it for range time on 100 , 200 and 300 yards mostly , to mount it on a Mosin Nagant proyect of mine that I heavily upgraded and modified it and truly expect that it will be capable of Moa or close to it ... I`ll see in a week when I take it to the range to zero it and have fun with it . The side scope mount looks like it is attached to the stock but in reality is screwed solidly to the steel side rail beneath it , which is itself screwed solidly to the steel action on the side top ... Here are a couple of pics of the Mueller scope installed today on top of the Mosin :
005-42.jpg

007-35.jpg

You might check out the Millet line they're SFP tough. I have a 4-16 Buck Mark Gold its clarity surprised me, its repeatable, adjustments are accurate, parallex and focus are both functional. They are large, and kinda heavy, and I'd prefer a finer reticle. They have some bad reviews, and some good ones, I don't expect it to last forever, but I'm not shootings comps or using this rifle for duty, so that's really not a big deal, one day I'll probably upgrade.

nice mosin.

+1 for the super sniper, i own both the SS 10X and a wotac 4-14 gen5. i can say from my experience using both on my remy 308, you will be more satisfied with the super sniper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice mosin.

+1 for the super sniper, i own both the SS 10X and a wotac 4-14 gen5. i can say from my experience using both on my remy 308, you will be more satisfied with the super sniper. </div></div>

How was your experience dealing with Wotac? Any problems? Like the scope?

I really don't care if what I get is FFP or SFP. FFP would be nice, but it's really not mandatory. What is though, is Mil/Mil. I want to learn on it, and have it from the start. If MOA turrets weren't an issue, I'd probably be looking more at the Vortex Viper 6-20. And if I could through a couple hundred more at it, I'd probably go with their PST. And like I said, I really want something with a little more power than the 10x. Probably at least 12x minimum. I've been shooting with a 3-9x, and while it's probably perfect for general acquisition, as well as hitting steel, I want something to get a little finer at 1, 2, and 300 yards for more precision. So I was thinking the 14x would bring me to about where I wanted to be. Anything more would just be icing.

I may just have to compromise and forget about getting mil/mil or something. I don't get why companies would even make a system that's not matching. That's like a car company in the US making a car that only reads in Kilometers/hour. Yeah it works, and you could deal, but really? Just make it match. Mil/mil or moa/moa, is it really that difficult?

/rant

At first, I went straight to search for the Falcon Menace , but after finding out about the warranty problems , I changed course to the Millet ... then when I read all the bad rap about it (loose reticles , not zeroing after 50 rds , etc etc etc I decided that I didn`t want to be part of the return trend , so I kept looking until I found the Mueller . The Viper Vortex will cost you a lot more than one of those but if you are going to get a Vortex you may as well get the Viper PST which is the real thing ... for even more money, of course , but still a good deal if you are to do comparison with NightForce kind and the like , but by now you just left the cheap, decent scope type way behind...

the wotac was a nice scope for the money. all until the windage knob came loose. besides that really cool scope, just be cautious of their customer service, not as good as its talked about in the old days..