• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would like input on new .308 bolt gun to buy

jay6ird

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2005
North of Dayton Ohio
Thanks in advance

I realistically shoot out to 500 yards with 1K every once in a while. I want to dump my 788, 700, SSG69, AR10, etc and stick with one rifle to concentrate on. I already have great glass.

I want a right hand - production gun- with a .308 size bolt face (.308/6.5) with the following:
Do it yourself barrel changes (no gunsmith needed)
threaded factory barrel for suppressor
removable magazine
.5 moa with FM168 or 175s or similar factory ammunition (providing the shooter is capable)
Manageable rifle weight (under 15lbs)
Cost under 5K

I was thinking AI or TIKKA but am concerned about the .5 MOA being posable...

What is the snipershide consensus??

Easy: AIAT. Or Spend a tad more and buy a used AX.

Edit: don’t worry it holding .5 MOA (it is capable, sure) but too many people get hung up on that type of shit. If a rifle can hold 1 MOA or better out to its max effective range, it’s a winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: geek65
AI AT would fit your budget.
You might also find a great deal on a AI AX (post 2014)

Either of those two would probably fit your needs the best.

If you want Factory ammunition to be able to hold 0.5 moa, then you are going to be needing to stick with some of the highest end stuff such as the Lapua or other similar higher end match ammunition, not any cheap stuff. You'll probably find it's cheaper to start reloading if you do any volume of shooting.

Another for the AI, though you should be able to get a deal AXSA near that 5k mark. I did, not sure if they are still available at those blow out prices. If not then the AI AT for sure. Hits all your bullet points, with either.

Is the Sako TRG22 user serviceable with a removable barrel?

Yes, KRG (for example) makes "prefits". Plus all you would have to do is send the action out once to a gunsmith, then they could make you shouldered prefits once they have your action measured and recorded.

Side note: I know you mentioned "production gun" but have you considered going the custom route? You could get a full custom package from a renowned Smith, or build one yourself.

If you're willing to change barrels yourself, then I don't see a point in not building the whole rifle yourself.

If you have the money for an AI thats the easy choice. Aiat with the thumbhole skins in sage green (most accurate color) and you’ll be set.

Reactions: geek65 and MPrimo
Most of that is accomplished with my Savage 12FV in a MDT chassis which cost me like $280 + $500 XRS chassis. I had to get my barrel threaded, but you can get a tactical Cabela's special version with the AI-style magazines already included and it comes in under your weight requirement. Can change a Savage barrel in 20 min.

Mine is .5 MOA in the factory plastic stock with Fed Match 168. I've never fired more than 3 of the 175s. Never fired it beyond 200 yards, though.

Action is smooth enough. Bolt lift isn't as light as my Bergara HMR Pro or anything, but it's fine and can be improved with cheap modifications and blue print.

Accutrigger is nice out of the box but that little safety blade is f'ing annoying so I'll eventually replace the trigger.

Not a premium gun but... I with $4K extra, I can get a lot of bullets.

Why limit yourself to factory? Why not get a custom action, barrel and stock ?

Bighorn TL3- $1250
PVA Prefit- cut rifled $624 button $499
Manners stock with Mini Chassis- $900-1100 depending on add ons

So you are at $2974 on the high end and get what you want. Also with the TL3 you can change bolt heads so you can make it a .223 or a short mag later if you want.

Since it seems like you dont want to assemble the gun, You could also order a custom action with a prefit,stock or chassis, and trigger of you choice from Altus shooting. They charge a very small fee to assemble a rifle. This way you can pick literally everything on the gun. i would give them a call or give their Rifle builder page a try. https://www.altusshooting.com/pages/rifle-builder

Reactions: Terry Cross
Actually seems like he might want to do the work as he wants a gun he can replace the barrels on at home.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
I would like something i can barrel change at home. I like the Sako TRG and AI . Over 1k difference in price may be worth forgoing the barrel change option if the accuracy is there..

I would like something i can barrel change at home. I like the Sako TRG and AI . Over 1k difference in price may be worth forgoing the barrel change option if the accuracy is there..
You can change TRG barrels at home. I have done two already. PVA and several offer shouldered prefits. Many don’t know that.

Here is a link for your consideration. It meets your accuracy requirements easily. Only if it were .308

You can change barrels at home on multiple actions currently. you can do shouldered pre-fits on actions such and the Big Horn Tl3 all you need is a barrel vise, action wrench, and a prefit for that action. The Terminus Zues takes it a step further and allows you to swap barrels with two set screws similar to the AIAT but still allows you to use Rem 700 pattern stocks and triggers. If you have a $5K limit you could build a hell of a rifle with today's customs actions. A rifle built off the Terminus Zeus action for example could theoretically be assembled with a set of fix-it sticks (minus the muzzle device device).

Zues action $1425
Trigger tech diamond $274
Manners PRS1 $1267
Proof carbon prefit $829
APA little bastard $195
308 GO NO GO gauges $100

TOTAL $4090

OP I know you said you want a production rifle but if you plan on swapping barrels at home I think you would be able to put these parts together very easily and safely assemble this. I think you would also be able to make your money stretch farther as I tried to pick to most expensive parts I could find.

Why limit yourself to factory? Why not get a custom action, barrel and stock ?

Bighorn TL3- $1250
PVA Prefit- cut rifled $624 button $499
Manners stock with Mini Chassis- $900-1100 depending on add ons

So you are at $2974 on the high end and get what you want. Also with the TL3 you can change bolt heads so you can make it a .223 or a short mag later if you want.

I'd rather have my AI AT than my Bighorn if I could only keep 1 of them. The 60 deg bolt throw alone on the AI makes me like it much, much more. The trigger is better as well on the AI and TRG even though I have the Bix N Andy TacSport on my Bighorn and it was timed by Bighorn when they assembled the rifle.

The only reason I have the Bighorn is that AI doesn't make a 223 conversion (there is a 3rd party one now though) and I wanted a 223 bolt gun. I have the 308 bolt head for it too but I'll never use it..it just came with the barreled action when I bought it.

The Bighorn is lighter though so there's that.

He can also have the AI/TRG in 3 days vs who knows how long for a custom rifle.

I'd rather have my AI AT than my Bighorn if I could only keep 1 of them. The 60 deg bolt throw alone on the AI makes me like it much, much more. The trigger is better as well on the AI and TRG even though I have the Bix N Andy TacSport on my Bighorn and it was timed by Bighorn when they assembled the rifle.

The only reason I have the Bighorn is that AI doesn't make a 223 conversion (there is a 3rd party one now though) and I wanted a 223 bolt gun. I have the 308 bolt head for it too but I'll never use it..it just came with the barreled action when I bought it.

The Bighorn is lighter though so there's that.

He can also have the AI/TRG in 3 days vs who knows how long for a custom rifle.

You need a new trigger if an AI trigger is better than the one in the Bighorn. LOL AI is not known for their great triggers.

60degree bolt throw is a personal preference thing. Some like it and some don’t.

As for timeline, it’s not a full custom where it takes months or years. You could probably go but most of the stuff in the for sale section and have it in a week.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
I'
You need a new trigger if an AI trigger isn’t better than the one in the Bighorn. LOL AI is not known for their great triggers.

60degree bolt throw is a personal preference thing. Some like it and some don’t.

As for timeline, it’s not a full custom where it takes months or years. You could probably go but most of the stuff in the for sale section and have it in a week.

I'm just not that picky when it comes to triggers and prefer the robustness of the AI trigger over having a 1.5lb trigger. The pull weight of the AI trigger is just fine to me. The TRG trigger may be slightly nicer but they are my favorite triggers. Factory Glock triggers with the "-" connector are also fine to me as well.

In reality I shouldn't have bought the TacSport as I really just wanted to duplicate the AI trigger which it really can't do that well. I got a wider shoe for it to try but I don't want to take the trigger apart to change it right now.

I should have bought the X-Treme Mod 22 instead but since the TacSport is timed to my action I can't really sell it either.

I'

I'm just not that picky when it comes to triggers and prefer the robustness of the AI trigger over having a 1.5lb trigger. The pull weight of the AI trigger is just fine to me. The TRG trigger may be slightly nicer but they are my favorite triggers. Factory Glock triggers with the "-" connector are also fine to me as well.

In reality I shouldn't have bought the TacSport as I really just wanted to duplicate the AI trigger which it really can't do that well. I got a wider shoe for it to try but I don't want to take the trigger apart to change it right now.

I should have bought the X-Treme Mod 22 instead but since the TacSport is timed to my action I can't really sell it either.

Yeah the AIs are love or hate. A buddy bought one not long after getting into long range as he heard all the praise and he hated the rifle from ergonomics to trigger and sold it. Got himself a custom and was much happier. Never been an AI fan myself either. They are fine rifles if you like them though.

Yeah the AIs are love or hate. A buddy bought one not long after getting into long range as he heard all the praise and he hated the rifle from ergonomics to trigger and sold it. Got himself a custom and was much happier. Never been an AI fan myself either. They are fine rifles if you like them though.
that AE Mk3 was not not meant for our game

Reactions: Rob01
Sako is the best way to go for out of the box accuracy and extremely high quality! You wouldn't be sorry! It's a life long gun.

Thanks in advance

I realistically shoot out to 500 yards with 1K every once in a while. I want to dump my 788, 700, SSG69, AR10, etc and stick with one rifle to concentrate on. I already have great glass.

I want a right hand - production gun- with a .308 size bolt face (.308/6.5) with the following:
removable magazine
.5 moa with FM168 or 175s or similar factory ammunition (providing the shooter is capable)
Cost under 5K

Really not diffacult. For out of the box acuracy, quality, reputation, and high user ratings, you will have a tough time beating the Tikka T3x or CTR rifles. For a little more cash the T3X Tac A1 is increadablie. Best price around is from eurooptics.com

Reactions: mobenzowner
For even a bit more, go with a Sako TGR 22 in 308. All of these are well un $5,000

Thanks in advance

removable magazine
Cost under 5K

GAPrecision Hospitaller. Guaranteed 3/8" moa. I'm just a regular guy that likes to shoot. I'm NOT a sniper or wanna be or a spec ops guy. I am pretty much a 1/2" moa shooter but have many, many of less than 3/8". My best five shot grope is .182". You know what they say about blind squirrels. You would love this rifle and the company.

Defiance Tenaccity action, Krieger barrel, KRG Bravo stock, Trigger tech trigger, Magpul magazines.
Less than $2500 put together and less than 1/2 groups.

Thanks in advance

removable magazine
Cost under 5K

Visit a bench match event and offer to buy a good shooters gun. Used good gun is much better than a bad new gun? Now buy a good sling and tall bi-pods.
Also buy ammo that will produce the tightest group for your new toy. Talk to the winners about how to improve your skills and what you can do to shoot better.
5b11a.jpg

Actually, few to none. Every rifle has it's fans that will stubanly refuse to accept it's downfalls, one of which is extreame pricing. Many of these come from being designed as a multi-roll weapons system for milatary applications. None of which are needed in civilian applications execept one, ACCURACY! Most, if not all nations, except the British have adopted the Sako TRG 42 which is the 338 Lapua mag version of this offering. The TRG 22 in 308 is identicle in every way with the exception of caliber.

If you examine Sako as a company, they have one of the best and most respected reputations of any arms company in the world, not my opinion but FACT. They also are the makers of Tikka rifles, an impressive rifle. Currently the TRG series are on sale. Check out eurooptics.com. now if you get pleasure on spending nearly TWICE the price and only about 82% of the Sako' accuracy then go ahead. Everything I have ststed here can be tottaly documented. Read the reviews before you make any rifle purchse. Sako does not do as much adverti@ing, they just don't need to. Good luck!

AI trigger better than a bix :ROFLMAO:

I took the TacSport off of the Bighorn last night and put the wide grooved trigger shoe on which makes me like it better. I also adjusted it as best I could but hit the max pull weight on the 2nd stage before I was happy with it as it's still a bit light for my taste.

I still prefer the AI and TRG triggers to the TacSport. To each their own though.

I am leaning towards the TRG 22 over the AI AT. What are the advantages of the accuracy international other than barrel change capability?

AI has much cheaper parts and much better customer service in the US as Beretta sucks. Magazines for the AI are $75 vs $175 for the TRG-22.

Overall AI's are just built to take more abuse too.

The triggers are more robust and I've never heard of an AI chassis breaking while it's happened to multiple TRG-22's over the years.

I wouldn't be concerned about my AI if I dropped it while I'd be very concerned about my TRG-22.

I also prefer the swept back bolt handle of the AI.

I really like both of them though so if you don't need a folder and want a great rifle grab the TRG-22 and a couple of spare mags and call it a day.

I just remembered that a member here posted an excellent write-up comparing the TRG-22 and the AIAW a few years back.

It mostly holds true now with the exception that the AIAT has quick change barrels, redesigned trigger (I like it more honestly), KeySlot rather than an Anshutz rail, and a couple other minor things.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/accuracy-international-aiaw-vs-sako-trg-22-my-experience-with-both.161285/

ETA: There were a few changes made to the TRG-22 after 2013 including a more robustly attached bolt handle, aluminum trigger guard, better recoil pad, and a couple other minor things.

Just a note. Sako has appointed Brownell's as the U.S. parts supplier for TRG parts.

If it’s a factory gun that you plan on keeping 100% stock then I love me a ruger Hawkeye long range.
But if you want to mod it then I would go Tikka.

Reactions: WickedDaddy
The AIAT is the easiest out of the box choice. The barrel change is 30 seconds at most. I shoot AI's and they all shoot better then .5 moa. When i switch barrels from 308 to 6.5 the zero only shifted .2 mil and when i went back to the 308 it was dead on. I do use a preset T handle torque wrench set to 6nm so the torque is always the same when changing barrels. With the AIAT you just have more options with never sending your rifle out to a smith.

Thanks in advance

removable magazine
Cost under 5K

With a little shopping and patience, you can find a like new...or new....Barrett MRAD for around $5K......MSRP $6145. I've bought several NIB under $4500. Change barrel/change caliber (<2 minutes); great accuracy (easily 0.5MOA) and robustness (USSOCOM recently selected MRAD as MK22 Advanced Sniper Rifle). Just be sure you get the small breech model (above about S/N 1100); third generation receiver; NOT THE SMR (Single Mission Rifle) model (MSRP $4995)....fixed stock, non-change barrel......the predecessor 98B re-branded as MRAD. Newest 308 is available as 1:8 twist for heavier bullets. I just bought new barrel/caliber conversion kit in 308 24" fluted 1:8 for somewhat under $1200 delivered. You wil not be disappointed.....even if you save a few dollars more to buy at MSRP. Waiting a little while until Barrett supplies military contract volumes, the civilian MRAD with benefit from the USSOCOM featured 10MIL versus current 20MOA rail; bolt disassembly lever for bolt disassembly; M-Lok fore end versus Barrett proprietary design; several other minor enhancements. Just buy out of state to avoid sales tax......your Governor won't add value to your purchase. :) :) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: IanHusaberg
Guess what it comes down to is $5,000 + vs $2,700 for the same performance. So why complain that the mags cost more?? Go figure.

Reactions: 308pirate
As much as I love my AI, the stock trigger sucks donkey balls. Before buying my axmc I had checked out a friend's AT not realizing he had a comp trigger. When I got mine I was so confused as to why it had so much overtravel and was super heavy. Installed a comp trigger, adjusted it to my liking, and love everything about AI ergonomics and operation now.