• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would like input on new .308 bolt gun to buy

As much as I love my AI, the stock trigger sucks donkey balls. Before buying my axmc I had checked out a friend's AT not realizing he had a comp trigger. When I got mine I was so confused as to why it had so much overtravel and was super heavy. Installed a comp trigger, adjusted it to my liking, and love everything about AI ergonomics and operation now.

The over travel exists so that if debris gets into the sear it will still function.

The Comp triggers are (or at least were) garbage and were constantly failing when they were released.

The AI trigger is meant for hard use and was never meant to have the 1lb pull that people seem to think they need on a "tactical" rifle.

A 5lb combined pull is not "super heavy" 🙄

I own a Barrett MRAD as well as the new sako(as stated above) . With any of the high end factory rifles, you won’t be disappointed! You just have to figure out your needs and move forward. Multi-caliber Mrad, desert tech, AI mx. Fixed caliber, AI, Barrett, sako!

Just came to back up the AI train. Will fit your budget and keep you happy for a long time.

Looks like the TRG22 .308 w/20” barrel makes the most sense for me.
I realize the 20” may be hard to get velocity to 1k but it will be more manageable with my Phantom suppressor.

If do not like it i will just buy something else to try..

Reactions: dirthead1
20” will make 1000 with the right load.

Looks like the TRG22 .308 w/20” barrel makes the most sense for me.
I realize the 20” may be hard to get velocity to 1k but it will be more manageable with my Phantom suppressor.

If do not like it i will just buy something else to try..
Assuming the fgmm standard like all 308s are judged by and go with the 175 smk instead of a 168 smk and you’ll be golden at 1k.

Reactions: Charger442
Or use the 168 ELD which has a better BC than both and will do 1000 with ease.

Reactions: 308pirate
Or use the 168 ELD which has a better BC than both and will do 1000 with ease.
Oh, I agree. Basically any other bullet lol.

But people always measure against the federal gold metal match as a benchmark it seems so I was just saying that going slightly better will be good enough and a 20” barrel isn’t a real limiting concern.

Reactions: Rob01
I was in a similar position to you a few years ago, wanted one rifle (.308), to shoot various distances (100 - 1000 yards) in a number of competitions: I purchased an AI AT, green, 26" barrel, muzzle brake and now with thumbhole stock. I shoot out to 1000 yards, using 185s, Lapua cases and Vit150. However, I am just waiting for my new 28" 6.5CM heavy barrel :) It is very easy to change the barrel, one allen key and unscrew the barrel.

Sako TRG

Attachments

• 55781C1B-8ADA-4AF7-94A4-C166124A5D82.jpeg
    55781C1B-8ADA-4AF7-94A4-C166124A5D82.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Love
Reactions: 308pirate and secm
Thanks everyone for your help. I got the TRG 22 with an extra mag the bipod and 20 inch barrel 308 . seems to be a rocksolid piece. Haven’t shot it yet probably get out this weekend or next week. Anyone have a pet load??

Reactions: 308pirate and secm
44gr varget
Win brass
Fed 210m
178 eldm
~2.83 coal
It's my gmm load. Has shot great in every 308 I've tried.

Got the rifle (TRG22 .308 20"), installed S&B P2 glass and have about 60 rounds down the barrel with a few .5moa groups at 300yds using Fed168 match and M118LR... The trigger is FANTASTIC!!!

Reactions: secm
Thanks in advance

I realistically shoot out to 500 yards with 1K every once in a while. I want to dump my 788, 700, SSG69, AR10, etc and stick with one rifle to concentrate on. I already have great glass.

I want a right hand - production gun- with a .308 size bolt face (.308/6.5) with the following:
Do it yourself barrel changes (no gunsmith needed)
threaded factory barrel for suppressor
removable magazine
.5 moa with FM168 or 175s or similar factory ammunition (providing the shooter is capable)
Manageable rifle weight (under 15lbs)
Cost under 5K

I was thinking AI or TIKKA but am concerned about the .5 MOA being posable...

What is the snipershide consensus??

jay6ird,

I know you specified 308 but we have 6.5CM in stock for $2499. It can ship today.

We'll have 308 pre-fits available soon.

Call or email. Contact info: https://www.americanrifle.com/contact

Ted

TRG22 has been a great choice so far. Factory Bipod, factory trigger and factory ergonomic stock has all equaled an awesome accurate weapon in my case.. the bipod and spare magazines seem a little excessive in price but you pay for quality and the research and thought put into the items.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
If budget isn't an issue AI over Tikka any day of the week, and twice on Sundays; or go with a KRG SOTIC made in Idaho.

Thanks in advance

I realistically shoot out to 500 yards with 1K every once in a while. I want to dump my 788, 700, SSG69, AR10, etc and stick with one rifle to concentrate on. I already have great glass.

I want a right hand - production gun- with a .308 size bolt face (.308/6.5) with the following:
Do it yourself barrel changes (no gunsmith needed)
threaded factory barrel for suppressor
removable magazine
.5 moa with FM168 or 175s or similar factory ammunition (providing the shooter is capable)
Manageable rifle weight (under 15lbs)
Cost under 5K

I was thinking AI or TIKKA but am concerned about the .5 MOA being posable...

What is the snipershide consensus??
AI, Tikka, and Sako.
My three favourites.