• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would you be satisfied with this install?

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Let me preface this by saying that I have not talked to the person/company who did the install yet. I received the rifle on Saturday and I will call them on Monday to discuss.Only thing I have done is take it out of the box, softcase, and put the scope back on <span style="color: #FF0000">***ETA: and put the rear action screw in since it was shipped in an envelope***.</span></span> I don't feel like going through any hassle so I'll just move on.

Am I overreacting or would you be satisfied with this bottom metal install? I don't know if I'm being too picky or not and would like to hear what you Hiders have to say. I've had a stroke of bad luck over the past couple of weeks..

Thanks,

-X

tophde.jpg

bottomh.jpg

chips.jpg

sideuy.jpg

Re: Would you be satisfied with this install?

Can you post a better shot of the rear action screw ?

It looks like the trigger area is wayyyyyyyyy too deep but the pics don't show that area well.

If you paid $5.00, then you got your money's worth.

In all seriousness, if you paid full price for a bedding job I'd be speaking with the smith that did it to find out if this is the type of work he puts his (or her) name behind. I'll be standing by to find out what your phone call consists of on Monday.

Hell no! That looks like shit. I have had dremil projects look better than that.

It's not a bedding job, it was just for a bottom metal install (inlet on the bottom of the stock to accept the bottom metal).

The rear action screw isn't too deep, maybe a hair, but not too bad. I think it's just the design of the bottom metal (this is the reason for the slanted cutout along the sides and this is a newer product). I can paint the inside of the stock so it doesn't stand out so much but I am mostly not crazy about the chipping along the edges on the front end.

-X

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #CC0000">YIKES </span> </span> is all I can say

No, that does not look right, but I have never inleted a stock fror a Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, that does not look right, but I have never inleted a stock fror a Savage. </div></div>

If it makes a difference, it's a McMillan A-5.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, that does not look right, but I have never inleted a stock fror a Savage. </div></div>

If it makes a difference, it's a McMillan A-5.

-X </div></div>
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
poor mcmillan

That's better than what Texas Brigade did for my .300WM. I asked for a rail on the foreend for a handstop and bipod mount.

It was installed. Two pieces of aluminum. Looks like scraps you would find on the floor. Wasn't finished. Just bare metal.

Cut

McMillan has a patch kit complete with Resin, Hardener, Thickening agent, Fiber Glass and Colors.

The only thing I don’t like about McMillan Stocks is that the Gel Coat can and will chip at times but, I still think very highly of them. The patch kit will make short work of the chips your showing. The colors are the exact same ones used when making the stocks so a perfect match is easy. Just bed the bottom metal using the patch kit, file away the excess after its cured and wet sand for a smooth finish. It's as easy as that. I'm working on an A5 now re-building the bolt handle recess to match my signature receiver bolt handle.

ouch!!! I would talk to the gunsmith first. Then I would see how it shoots. If it shoots really well, then may be he (if you still trust him) can do something for the cosmesis of the stock. If it shoots like shit, then I would demeand a new stock, or make it looks nice and shoots well.

I'd be pissed about that install for sure.

Who did it?

You are not over reacting. It doesn't have that "finished" look due to the slight chipping on the edges. I'd be interested to know what the company says about their completed work. If they are worth their salt, they'll make it right for you. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be pissed about that install for sure.

Who did it? </div></div>

which part, the chipping or the fact that it is bellow the surface of the bottom of the stock. if the chipping, i can see that although i think it is minor and happens. i am nto sure i'd be pissed. if it is about where the bottom metal sits, i bet that bottom metal was designed around a different stock profile and has a set dimension between it and the action for proper feeding. you can't fault the installer for installing the bottom metal where it needs to be. i am not familiar with that bottom metal so i can't say for sure if that is what happened, but i bet it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan has a patch kit complete with Resin, Hardener, Thickening agent, Fiber Glass and Colors.

The only thing I don’t like about McMillan Stocks is that the Gel Coat can and will chip at times but, I still think very highly of them. The patch kit will make short work of the chips your showing. The colors are the exact same ones used when making the stocks so a perfect match is easy. Just bed the bottom metal using the patch kit, file away the excess after its cured and wet sand for a smooth finish. It's as easy as that. I'm working on an A5 now re-building the bolt handle recess to match my signature receiver bolt handle.
</div></div>

I don't have the skills or experience to patch, file, sand, and bed the bottom metal properly. If you would be willing to possibly take up a repair job, IM me a price to fix this. I know you come highly recommended and I'd certainly consider sending it to you for the repair work.

This stock had previously been skim and pillar bedded by a local smith a year or two ago. I haven't taken apart the action from the stock yet since the bottom metal install. Wondering if I should take a look..

Thanks,

-X

X, it's easy as 1-2-3. No special skills required and you'd only be working the bottom side and bottom metal, not the bedding or top side.

Send it if you like, stock and bottom metal only.

Its really not that bad man. Shoot it the way it is. How often are you going to have your rifle upside down to look at the chips (which look small anyway)

Unless you are going to enter your rifle in beauty contests, I wouldnt spend a penny fixing it, shoot it the way it is.

I think you should send it to Louisiana. I hate when someone does not take the care in doing something for me that I would for them no matter what the service.

Not clean for a CUSTOM rifle IMO. I'd have it repaired.

You knew right off the bat you weren't happy with it when you saw it. Talk to the smith that did the work and get an answer. I personally would want it rectified because its not like a factory beater stock we're dealing with, its a McMillan. You and only you have the final word on whether its worth fixing or not. If it bugs the shit out of you, wnroscoe will definitely be able to fix it. You'll learn he's the freakin Bob Vila of botched smithing jobs!

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wnroscoe he's the freakin Bob Vila of botched smithing jobs!</div></div>

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

I'd like to know who done it I'm fixin to send a mcmillan a5 stock to be inletted for the cdi precision bottom metal and I dont want to send it to them.

I would not be satisfied.
If i did that job, or my dad did then id be pleased, but i wouldnt pay for something like that on that nice of a stock

I don't know why I, nor anyone else, hasn't asked...

Have you put a magazine in it to see if it feeds correctly ?

There may be a reason he had to sink the rear part of it that deeply, to correct a poor feeding issue ???

If it doesn't feed correctly and the cartridge sits too *nose low* to work....
I'd be pissed !

The lenght of the pillars have to be to spec for the magazine to feed rounds correctly. If rounds feed correctly than all is good - mag has to sit high enough for bolt to strip rounds into chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thorax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why I, nor anyone else, hasn't asked...

Have you put a magazine in it to see if it feeds correctly ?

There may be a reason he had to sink the rear part of it that deeply, to correct a poor feeding issue ???

If it doesn't feed correctly and the cartridge sits too *nose low* to work....
I'd be pissed ! </div></div>

+1, I was thinking the samething, as long it feeds perfectly everything is cosmetic, I would leave it as is, and use it as a learning experience, if it really bothers you polish the DBM with wax as a release agent and use bedding compound to fill the voids.

Time to make a phone call about your money.

My question is about the quality of the installation, not the function of the DBM as I did try a round and it fed correctly. I'll try it out more this week but I believe that it will function properly.

-X

Roscoe worked magic on a rifle I had built by another smith and also built my latest rifle tack driver. Right now I am saving up for another rifle from him.

It looks like the DBM design was not compatible with the lines of that stock. The chipping is normal, if it works properly, that's all you can ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a bedding job, it was just for a bottom metal install (inlet on the bottom of the stock to accept the bottom metal).

-X </div></div>

Well Willburrrrr.....what was the bottom metal inlet before this update?

I noticed a larger difference between the way a MCM inlet for an Badger M4 and altered to fit a DD Ross bottom metal(the DD Ross had less forward taper)....looked as compared to a DD ROss inlet for a DD Ross.

Point being, if they altered the prior inletting to accept your new DBM....is there the slightest of chances that the prior metal was wider near the forward screw?

As to wether it is affecting anything....no.

Is it unsightly.....no.

Is it normal for fiberglass products to have some form of voids...yup.

Just shoot it.

If it feeds properly, I would let it go. Chips in the gel coat are for the most part unavoidable. Paint the inside edge if you don't like seeing the stock fill material, and get the patch kit and fix the chips if you feel it is necessary. I wouldn't be angry about it but whoever did the work probably should have communicated the possibility of chipping up front.

It's just not going to be worth the hassle to me so out with it already. If they want to contact me about this, that's fine. If not that's fine too. I had the CDI Savage long action bottom metal installed by CDI.

-X

Remove the bottom, deburr the edges with sandpaper (300 and 600 grit), and run a sharpie on the inside if the exposed glass bothers you. It'll look fine after that and you won't break the bank fixing it.

You might ask Jeff if there is anything he can do make his bottom metal match up better with your stock. I'm sure you won't have the one and only a5 for a savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: modifier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remove the bottom, deburr the edges with sandpaper (300 and 600 grit), and run a sharpie on the inside if the exposed glass bothers you. It'll look fine after that and you won't break the bank fixing it. </div></div>

This is what I would do. Then again, I try not to do my own smithing work, if I can help it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the previous inletting? </div></div>

Trigger guard only (no hinged floorplate). The bottom of the stock was solid apart from the front action screw hole.

-X

This is my opinion so please take as such. Bottom metals need to be flush with bottom of the stock for a clean line. That is just standard. The feeding of the mag is done with setting the height of the mag release. I'm not bashing anyone here. Looks and function is priority on expensive pieces of kit. Quality is a whole package and that means both looks and not just function. Again I'm not bashing. First reactions usually tell the story. If your heart fell into your stomach when you first saw it then you are usually correct. Disappointment hurts. I've been there brother. That metal needs to be flush and the mag height set with the release. Pretty standard.

while i was looking at everybodys bottom metals and drooling, one thing i noticed was that alot of the installs dont line up with the bottom of the stock. some pictures look like its the contour of the stock that keeps the bottom metal from being flush with the stock. they all function fine. but really, look thru all the pictures of all the rifles that have the install. there are quite a few that arent flush, most were on A5s

the chipping looks like what would be expected with the mill doing the inlet. use the McM kit.

look at the difference in the depth of the inlet in front of and in back of the trigger. it seems like it would require a happy medium or redesign to fit the stock. then it may not fit the other stocks...

also, its just me, but mark has been super helpful to me and i never spent a dime with him. i wish he would have had a chance to talk to you before you posted this. i looked thru enough pictures to know this was something that occurs. i asked him about it and knew it could happen in some installs. look at the pic on this site, its not that uncommon that they dont line up, but everybody says they shoot just fine

bottomh.jpg

Everbody's a critic. I tried it a few times myself, and found I wasn't worth diddly at it. Others surpass my feeble efforts by miles.

Only the beholder can/may declare the presence or absence of beauty. I don't do beauty. I do functionality. Beauty is nice, functionality is the 'E' ticket.

If it works, looks are optional for me. My guns are for shooting, and not for comparing esthetics. If my gun has a non-disabling cosmetic flaw, I call it 'character'. Try some, you may find you like it...

Greg

Axeman,

I said a few posts up that I'm not going to press the issue and if CDI wants to (or doesn't want to) contact me that would be fine. Also, if this is a common occurance then at least this thread will serve as information for others to decide if they want to go through with a DBM install.

I am however on the same page with John's opinion.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If my gun has a non-disabling cosmetic flaw, I call it 'character'. Try some, you may find you like it...

Greg </div></div>

Greg,

This is just my opinion but I don't mind too much when I damage something and I'll call those character marks. If someone else adds cosmetic flaws to my rifle, I tend to call those mistakes.

Once again though, if this is all that is wrong I'm not going to ask for anything to be done and I'll just live with it. I was honestly asking the Hide if I was being too picky or not.

-X

Maybe problem wasn't the Job, but the stock.
If it works better, or is what you asked for, maybe some stock mods are in order next.

Nothing cures everything.

X;

I believe we agree in totality.

Greg

I would have preferred a simple phone call versus an internet bashing, but this is one of my first so far. I work harder than anyone around to make folks happy.

First and foremost, I'm here to help, and if anyone has trouble with my parts or installs, please get with me and I'll handle it.

The McMillan stocks are the hardest to inlet without chipping. Most folks dont worry over it too much, but I get why u may not like it. The edges can be smoothed over or chips filled like William Roscoe suggested. Thanks William for offering to fix his stuff
smile.gif

This is a NEW Savage Long action DBM. The Savage DBM systems are different than everything else. The Factory DBM runs parallel to the action, not flush fit like everything else(Angled DBM).

The DBM is designed to fit into a factory DBM inlet hole. I could have designed it like my Rem 700 LA DBM, but the guys with a factory DBM that want to upgrade would have to get a new stock. This is why they are like this.

The short action is the same. The Blind mag stocks are thicker in the belly to allow for magazine capacity, so the parts sit deeper into the stock. There is no way around it for a universal savage fit. IF upgrading stocks I always advise to buy a stock that's designed for Factory DBM.. its thinner.

Also, Black-X, this is the second one I have installed, I also told you this and that there would be a bit of a guinea pig factor.. in doing so I discounted your install 50%. You seemed ok with that. I was happy to do it.

Ill do what it takes to make you happy.. don't like it?. I'll buy u a new stock. Or ill buy the rifle from you if you don't want it, or build u a new rifle... Tell me how to make you happy and I'll do it.

Just call me next time, as I'm always here, and sometimes I get busy, I'll work with my customers to make them happy.

Jeff

^^^ Well shit, you can argue with service like that. I know who will be getting my work for now on.