• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would you buy a MagnetoSpeed V1 right now?

Brett_B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2009
Ohio
I’m am in need of a chrono and like the MagnetoSpeed over the traditional optical models. Brownells has the V1 in stock at $275 and it looks like it will fit all of my needs. I don’t have barrels bigger than 1” and don’t plan on shooting it with a suppressor or large brake attached. I just need a chrono for load development on a few rifles.

My biggest worry would be warranty support. Will MagnetoSpeed still support the V1 if it has problems?

I see the new V3 is coming out with an MSRP of $399. It looks awesome but I don’t think I really need any of the new features for the extra $125. Also if I get the V1 I can be out and shooting with it this weekend versus waiting on a new product release which can often be delayed.

Thoughts?

I still have the V1 and love it. Not really sure I will upgrade simply because it fulfills my needs perfectly and am comfortable with it.

If concerned about warranty--give them a quick call. I would expect them to still support their products--but better to hear directly from them.

I picked my V1 up from the guys at MagnetoSpeed in person and visited them for warranty repairs. They're great and took quick care of me when my LCD was on the fritz. While there to swap out the module they also replaced my strap with a prototype of the current system.

I would not hesitate to get a V1 if it fits your needs.

I keep thinking...."should I upgrade to the V3?". Given that the V1 has done everything I've ever asked it to, and never even once missed a beat....I can't justify it. I actually have a honkin' big brake on my AI, and the V1 still works no problem.