• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Would you recommend the M1A?

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Okay, so for the last few weeks Ive been deciding on what new gun to get in a month or so, and I was settled on a 5.56 semi auto gun, but then recently I was looking into getting a bolt action like the R700.

Well now after thinking about it, I think I would want a M1A more than anything. The M14 has been my favorite firearm in movies and games and when I first heard about the M1A I almost pissed myself.

So, I think I might try and compromise between a semi auto 5.56 and a bolt action .308.

Im on a budget for rifle of about ~$1500 so I have to get the cheapest M1A. I think BudsGunShop will have Scout M1As soon for around that so I think thats the direction Ill go it.

Would you recommend the M1A for just a good well rounded rifle?

And would you recommend it as a precision firearm platform?

Re: Would you recommend the M1A?

Its a very versatile platform. If you want an extremely accurate one your gonna have to pay to play and im sure others will agree. I love my Supermatch, its the most addictive thing I have ever shot. Choose wisely and understand if you want good glass and a good M1A that is sub moa @ 100yds, you can find yourself paying 5K easily for a top of line rig.

Gunbroker will be your best bet when trying to get a good one on a deal. My supermatch was selling on there and other sites that had it for 3400-3700, I snagged it new for 2500. Maybe a used one would benefit you more. If you dont have the $ to buy what you want, wait a while until you can.

Whatever you decide on getting, nothing beats the feeling behind the sights of one being able to rapidly engage steel.

Thats my .02, good luck. feel free to PM me with any questions on other parts you will need, and I can send you links for good deals.

I will be the contrarian for this: I too loved the M1A and had one for years. I shot High-Power with it and it was a nice rifle. I dumped money into it to get a nice shooter but in the end of the day it was still 1 MOA at best after a couple of thousand dollars and reloading components bought to feed it. I can now go buy a POF, LWRC REPR, DPMS SASS, or any other AR type rifle and it is easier to clean (by my standards) and easier to handle as they are not as long. If you love it then by all means get one but if you are looking for the most accurate out of the box then I would look elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents

I have one myself and I personally love it. Im wanting to get a couple more. But go with what your heart and mind tell you and go get one. You wont be disappointed.

I like the M1A a lot, but if you want target accuracy it is a lot cheaper to get it out of the AR10 platform.

Yeah, I like the M1A, if it's NRA LR you want to explore with something you can shoot in Service Rifle division. Otherwise, what's the point? Sincerely, I just don't get the fantacy folks have with guns like the M1A "SOCOM". What, being prepared to Make Night of the Living Dead part two a very short movie?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Although I want it to be decently accurate, 1-2 MOA will be fine with me. Im much more concerned about reliability, fun factor and overall awesomeness.

Like I said, I really love the look and history of the M14, so I think having a M1A would be quite possibly the most awesome thing ever, and from what Ive gathered, the M1A is a great firearm for recreational shooting.

I would just like to get a decent scope for it at first, and then later on this year I think Id want to turn it into a fullblown M21 EBR

Once again, thanks guys.

Edit: Theres something about it that just draws me in. I love that its not the newest technology, but it can still hang with modern guns (people will probably disagree with that).

I carried the M14 in 'Nam, and absolutely loved my M1A when I had it, using it mostly for NRA National Match High Power club comps.

When the money crunch arrived and I had to pick and choose what I could afford to retain, I divested both the M1A and the AR, while retaining the Garand in an Olympic Class death grip.

If you're going to do what a service rifle will do, get yourself one of the Big Dogs.

Greg

Would I recommend a M1A?,... F*** YES!

I got a nice suprize in the accuracy of the M1A standard I had when shooting the black box 168gn. TAP FPD ammo. Of course I made a few little upgrades to mine when I had it. They are very fun to shoot and there is alot of history behind the gun.

Still not sure if I made the right choice to trade it in on a AR-10 that is getting built up as we speak. But if the new Armalite does not shoot as good or better than the M1A I had I am going to sell it and go hunting for a supermatch.

Personally I would pass on the socom's and look for a full size or scout model.

Honkey,
Give ya $500.00 cash for that pos. I'm doing you a favor because hatred isn't healthy and we're told health care is a real issue in the U.S.
smile.gif

I have an M1A variant and it's just plain fun. Good utility rifle but they have their drawbacks.
Be committed to learning the rifle and it's idiosyncrocies before investing in one.

I've got two.
An LRB M-25 that was set up to be top of the line by it's previous owner. I've put about 800 rounds through it, never have field stripped it, it's 100% reliable. With it's favorite load, a 168gr SMK @ 2575 fps, it's nearly 1/2moa accurate out to 500 yds.
The other is a SAI "scout" that's just about stone stock. It will shoot the same match ammo moa, although the load averages 2480fps from the 18" barrel. The scout get's more field use than the full size, is nearly as accurate and so far (400 rounds) 100% reliable.
Yeah, I would recommend the M1A. Take the time to find the ammo it likes, then shoot the hell out of it.

I have two and believe it's a "Riflemans Rifle".. I have one set up as an MBR with irons and in McMillian oversize stock that has been sanded, stippled with bedliner and painted OD. With chrome lined bbl. it keeps my Venensula Milsurp in a pie plate at 200 yds. I also have one in McMillian A-3 set up as a DMR with stainless bbl, arms 18 mnt and Leupy Mk4 3.5x10x40 with TMR. I am not sure I need both and may sell one to fund a CCW pistol.. Have not made up my mind. In the end I believe they are a good choice to sling 308 in mass.
Good luck.
George of the Jungle

I've never been a fan myself. Frankly, I'd rather have a well-built AR than any M1A. The M1A hasn't been the bastion or reliability and durability that everyone makes it out to be in my experience. The ergos suck, it's heavy, awkward for anything but KD range use, scope mounts for it suck, you have to clean from the muzzle, ammo is expensive (compared to the .223), the rifles themselves are expensive and they are not particularly accurate. But if that's what you're looking for then go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you recommend the M1A?

</div></div>

The M1A is a good choice... the ChiCom Norinco and Poly Tech are a better choice.

The M14 type rifle is a well rounded, general purpose rifle.
Also, I owned a well built AR-10 and sold it to fund another M14.

One of my heel stamped Poly Tech M14s that I purchased for $750.00 a few years ago is now this M21A5 Crazy Horse EBR SASS.

M21A5CHEBR-SASS01.jpg

Yes, they can be turned into extremely reliable and durable precision rifles.

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you recommend the M1A?

</div></div>

The M1A is a good choice... the ChiCom Norinco and Poly Tech are a better choice.

The M14 type rifle is a well rounded, general purpose rifle.
Also, I owned a well built AR-10 and sold it to fund another M14.

One of my heel stamped Poly Tech M14s that I purchased for $750.00 a few years ago is now this M21A5 Crazy Horse EBR SASS.

M21A5CHEBR-SASS01.jpg

Yes, they can be turned into extremely reliable and durable precision rifles.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Amazing. Id love to have a rifle like that.

I heard about PolyTech M1As before but assumed they werent as good as Springfield's.

Who makes your EBR stock?

Where can I get PolyTech M1As?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Amazing. Id love to have a rifle like that.

I heard about PolyTech M1As before but assumed they werent as good as Springfield's.

Who makes your EBR stock?

Where can I get PolyTech M1As?

Thanks </div></div>

Only Springfield Armory, Inc. makes M1As - the name is trademarked by SAI.

The EBR stock is made by SAGE International, Clyde Armory is the best source to buy one.

Poly Tech and Norinco M-14/S have not been imported into the US for many years, you will need to find one in the secondary market.

They are available and prices rang from about $900.00 for a slightly used one to about $2200.00 for one that is new in the box.

My lean, mean MK14 is built on a heel stamped Norinco receiver.

Norinco-AFG011.jpg

The M1A is not really accurate enough to be a true precision weapon. There are better calibers for target shooting. There are better calibers for long-range tactical shooting. The M1A is too heavy to be a true CQB weapon. It's an expensive platform if you want to make it "better." It's not easy to put a scope on one and make it all work as you'd like.

Would I recommend one? ABSOLUTELY! Should the money situation get ugly, my M1A is the last rifle I would ever consider selling.

If there is something about this post that doesn't sound rational or logical to you, it's because you haven't shot an M1A yet.

-DJR

I have a very nice M1A and several other .308 autoloaders (HK91,FNFAL and a FAL para). For a very good .308 battle rifle from the ground up cost wise a quality FNFAL is my first pick. Very reliable and fairly accurate but just OK sights. The G3 series or HK91/ PTR 91 would be my next stop. Better sights than the FAL,easy to attach optics but the trigger is like a caulking gun but OK. The M1A would be the highest priced pick to set up. USGI parts are harder to find and pricey. It does have the best sights and trigger bar none. It's along the lines of the 1911 that you can really take it as far or short as you want to.

My old M1A was a rack grade Springfied with all USGI parts and a mint 64 Winchester barrel. I made all the NM mods and bedded it in a McMillian stock with NM sights. Very accurate and the sights and trigger are a joy to use.

My .308 Garand with the heavy Krieger barrel is another story....

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

I think Ill most likely try and get a M1A scout. Theres something about this rifle that just draws me in.

I know it may not be the most accurate or the cheapest, but for some reason I really want one, and I doubt Ill be disappointed.

Thanks for the help guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Ill most likely try and get a M1A scout. </div></div>

Good choice sir, the Scout was my very first also.

If you are in no rush, I suggest that you shop around for a distressed sale of a slightly used Bush or Scout.
The Bush rifle will not have the forward Scout optic mount and it will have a lug less flash hider.
Bush M1As usually have a higher GI parts count than the Scout.

Good luck!

The M1A is usually a great rifle. It's big, heavy, very accurate and 20 rounds to go. My SA M1A really likes 168 BTHP(M)SMK over Varget.
c6ebca0d.jpg

Burris Tactical 4.5-14x42 AO

I heard of one that wouldnt shoot well.
We got together, I tightened the scope base, minor zero adjustments and it shot great. The owner shot better with the mount loose. There are a few people out there that it is too much gun. He was never properly trained and recoil sensitive. He shoots pretty good with an AR-15.

I fooled around with the wood stock a little until I handled a McMillian stock.

BIG difference.
(Hey,its only $$$)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Ill most likely try and get a M1A scout. </div></div>

Good choice sir, the Scout was my very first also.

If you are in no rush, I suggest that you shop around for a distressed sale of a slightly used Bush or Scout.
The Bush rifle will not have the forward Scout optic mount and it will have a lug less flash hider.
Bush M1As usually have a higher GI parts count than the Scout.

Good luck! </div></div>

Bush M1As? Im not sure Ive heard of that one.

Highly recommend them. Once you sort through all the varied opinions and comparisons to AR-based platforms (some of which are valid) they're just still not an M1A. Personally I think it's an apples and oranges comparison. Guys in the sand box will beg, borrow, and steal for one and that says it all.

My Springfield NM is undergoing surgery right now and soon will look like this...

234-g2-beauty-shot-1-528x234.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Highly recommend them. Once you sort through all the varied opinions and comparisons to AR-based platforms (some of which are valid) they're just still not an M1A. Personally I think it's an apples and oranges comparison. Guys in the sand box will beg, borrow, and steal for one and that says it all.

My Springfield NM is undergoing surgery right now and soon will look like this...

234-g2-beauty-shot-1-528x234.jpg
</div></div>

Thats for the opinion
smile.gif

And also, youre M1A is going to be awesome. Me = Jealous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And also, youre M1A is going to be awesome. Me = Jealous.
</div></div>

Thanks. I went with coyote brown. Cant wait to get it...

235-jae-100-g2-coyote-brown-black-4.jpg

The JAE is a wonderful precision stock, but it is heavier than most including the SAGE EBR.

The BUSH M1A was the first M1A that Springfield offered with an 18.0" barrel.
It was replaced by the Scout Squad some time around Y2K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The JAE is a wonderful precision stock, but it is heavier than most including the SAGE EBR. </div></div>

My decision was partially based on weight. The M1A is essentially a long gun and better suited for precision work than charging through alleys or the bush, unless we're talking about a tanker. When I shot service rifle we used to pack our buttstocks with lead shot or pennies to weigh the guns down. It doesn't make the rifle more accurate...it makes the rifle more stable and easier to shoot accurately.

A body at rest tends to stay at rest. Give it more weight and you capitalize on physics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sterling Said:
Yeah, I like the M1A, if it's NRA LR you want to explore with something you can shoot in Service Rifle division. Otherwise, what's the point? Sincerely, I just don't get the fantacy folks have with guns like the M1A "SOCOM". What, being prepared to Make Night of the Living Dead part two a very short movie</div></div>

Sterling apparently knows M1As, listen to him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SPDSNYPR Said:
The M1A hasn't been the bastion or reliability and durability that everyone makes it out to be in my experience.</div></div>

My experience says a bit differant, I've been shooting this one since 1977, pretty heavely in competition, High Power and 1000 yard matches. Yeah I shot out a couple barrels and stretched out slings, other then that I've had zero problems.
M1A%20_1_.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clamber Said:
I would just like to get a decent scope for it at first, and then later on this year I think Id want to turn it into a fullblown M21 EBR</div></div>

Easier then you think, take a Match M1A, a scope mount designed for the gun, put on a lace on cheek pad. They work, I went to sniper school and have taught sniper schools using the M1A. They do work out to 900 meters quite will.

Sniper%20School.jpg

USAMU Sniper school, 1978

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The JAE is a wonderful precision stock, but it is heavier than most including the SAGE EBR. </div></div>

My decision was partially based on weight. The M1A is essentially a long gun and better suited for precision work than charging through alleys or the bush, unless we're talking about a tanker. When I shot service rifle we used to pack our buttstocks with lead shot or pennies to weigh the guns down. It doesn't make the rifle more accurate...it makes the rifle more stable and easier to shoot accurately.

A body at rest tends to stay at rest. Give it more weight and you capitalize on physics. </div></div>

I agree, balance is a good thing... I'm currently investigating further balancing my
M21A5 CH EBR SASS with a heavier butt stock that offers a fully adjustable cheek riser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I agree, balance is a good thing... I'm currently investigating further balancing my
M21A5 CH EBR SASS with a heavier butt stock that offers a fully adjustable cheek riser. </div></div>

That's a good looking gun...looks freakin medieval but yea...the butt stock looks a bit minimal. I personally like all M1A variants and would own one of each if I could afford it.

You'd really like a Magpul on that beast of yours. I have one on my SASS and its a perfect stock. Very stout, fully adjustable, and a bottom rail for a mono-pod. They even make it in your favorite color.

I cannot wait to get an M1A. Even if I can just afford a $1500 Scout, that will still be a great rifle right?

Would it be hard to get upgrade parts for it to make it on par with the Match?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot wait to get an M1A. Even if I can just afford a $1500 Scout, that will still be a great rifle right?

Would it be hard to get upgrade parts for it to make it on par with the Match? </div></div>

I'd take a scout and I'm sure there's lots of aftermarket stuff for them.

My SA Nat'l Match M1A has been perfectly reliable. Never even a hiccup. Has the best open sights I've ever used. Shoots 1 moa or less with match ammo. With the Basset mount I can switch between irons and optics in seconds. Plus, you just cant beat the "cool" factor! Something about the look and feel of walnut and steel.
No, its not as accurate as my bolt gun, but it's not bad. Like
sightline said, it would be the last gun to leave here.

I have on occasion seen a few Devine TX National Match M1A's go up for sale on various gun boards. The one I have, and have owned since 1974 will shoot 0.5 MOA groups @ 100 yards with hand loaded 168 grain Sierra Match King HPBT. I assume the newer super match SA can be made to do the same.

If you want one, get one. If you don't like it you can sell it, you won't lose a whole lot and it's a good learning experience. Personally I think an AR in 308 (DPMS tac 20, armalite 20") would be another good bet.

I am getting a "loaded" next week and am wondering what are the differences between it and a Supermatch? The "loaded" comes with the NM barrel, NM rear/front sights,NM trigger, and NM flash suppressor. What's left? Isn't one of the differences is that it's glass bedded? What is the best mount to use for my aimpoint? they all use the same receiver right?

Recon1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think BudsGunShop will have Scout M1As soon for around that so I think thats the direction Ill go it.

You may want to check Whittakerguns here in KY,he has several in stock and usually is cheaper than Buds</div></div>

I've owned a M1a for about 7 yrs now. I bought it in the "loaded" package and got a pretty good deal off Gun Broker. I bought it with the black synthetic stock, later I upgraded to the USGI wood stock with the metal hinge butt plate. Also put a scope mount on it and made it sort of the poor mans M21 setup. Its reliable, accurate, and a great piece in my collection. I have hunted with it, shooting deer almost 400yrds and killing them clean with 168 SMKs and good shot placement. Do I like the rifle? Hell yes. Hasn't disappointed me so far.

If I could go back and do it all over again still purchasing a M1A, I would buy the scout or socom. I've read articles proclaiming that the scout is more accurate than the full length. This is accredited to the scope mount and shorter barrel adding stiffness to the barrel. Besides the possibility of it being more accurate, a shorter barrel is a lot more convenient. The regular M1A is just to long for normal use.

I think you got the right idea with going with the scout right away. I'm now looking to send mine somewhere to get a shorter barrel installed.

Now that I've said all that I'm gonna go and tell you the dark side of owning own now. First of all, as mentioned before, it is very hard to take apart and clean. I use a bore snake and it helps, but still taking the bolt in and out has a trick to it that I'm not sure if I will ever master. If your going to go with a EBR type stock the rifle is going to loose any balance it once had, which wasn't much to begin with. If you plan on putting a scope mount on it get a good cheek rest or stock with an adjustable piece. Scopes really have a tendency to run high even with the lowest mounts. Finally, ammo is expensive for the M1A. 308 is well over $1 a round now, and if your just putting holes in targets it might not be worth it. Its not a plinking gun(at least for me).

I guess I'm asking what you are going to be using it for? If just target and plinking you might want to think of something else, probably in 223. Even reloading isn't a sure fire deal with semi autos. Unless you are going to be shooting in competitions beyond 300yrds or using it double duty as a hunting rifle, I recommend you seriously look into a M4 style weapon. For $1500 you can get a nice gun to start with, then always upgrade it as you see fit. And there is a huge cool factor with M4 style weapons.

Originally I bought my M1A for many reason, all of which justified my purchase at the moment, but later on I found out what I really wanted was a M4 style weapon. I bought a Armalite, which was super accurate easy shooter out to 500m. Several upgrades later now I have a M4 with a POF upper on it. And it is everything I wanted and more. Ammo is cheap, mags are cheap, upgrades are everywhere, still super accurate, and now more reliable. As a result, I shoot it a lot more and now my M1A mostly sits around and waits for me to upgrade it to the Troy ind. Mod Chassis for it. Even after that I'm not real sure how much I'll shoot it. But it will have a huge cool factor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting a "loaded" next week and am wondering what are the differences between it and a Supermatch? The "loaded" comes with the NM barrel, NM rear/front sights,NM trigger, and NM flash suppressor. What's left? Isn't one of the differences is that it's glass bedded? What is the best mount to use for my aimpoint? they all use the same receiver right?

Recon1 </div></div>

When I got my loaded it came with all the NM stuff too, but the sights were slightly different. On a true NM the sights are hooded so that the hole is darker and you don't get a glare.

As for the rest of the parts I don't really know the difference. Like you stated, the bedding is a bid difference. I've never bedded mine and its plenty accurate for what I use it for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If your going to go with a EBR type stock the rifle is going to
loose any balance it once had, which wasn't much to begin with.

</div></div>

That is definitely true with the TROY stock and the original
SAGE variant, but it's not true for all SAGE EBR stocks...

This one has a standard profile 18.0" barrel and it balances very well
cool.gif

SAGE-AFG010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you recommend the M1A for just a good well rounded rifle?</div></div>

Yes. It's a refinement of the Garand and is a rifle that can do a variety of things well. The action is very tough and reliable. I've yet to have one malfunction except when I didn't seat a magazine properly. It shoots everything I put into it and can do so accurately with iron sights.

The standard version is a 1-2MOA gun with decent ammo. With mil surplus it handles well. A few weeks back we were shooting 12" steel plates at 400 yards with iron sights on the M1A and mil surplus ammo consistently. I've run it through courses where most everyone had AR-15s and it had no problem keeping up and on the steel targets it lays down the law vs. the .223 especially at distance. The recoil is manageable for such a large caliber and it really can be shot all day without any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And would you recommend it as a precision firearm platform?</div></div>

It depends what you want. I have an M1A that is a match grade weapon and is consistently 1MOA or slightly better. It is accurate, but it's not as accurate as my bolt guns. Then again my bolt guns don't have a detachable 20 round magazine, excellent iron sights and as fast handling as the M1A. My standard M1A as I said is 1-2MOA. That's plenty good for just about any type of practical use. Assuming 2 MOA at the outside you're talking a gun that can put a cone of fire within 10" at 500 yards and 20" at 1000 yards. No, you're not going to win any F-Class competitions with it. But it's fine for what the weapon was designed to be: a Main Battle Rifle that is reliable and shoots a powerful round.

I only have the standard length guns. But I like iron sights so the extra length of the barrel gives a better sight radius. The Scout version looks like a decent compromise if you are not going to compete with the rifle but want a shorter barrel or will be scoping it. I knew someone with the very shortened SOCOM version and that was the only M1A I saw malfunction in action (threw an extractor). The instructors of the course who see a lot of rifles commented that they also saw short barrels SOCOM malfunction at a higher rate than they normally see for M1As. The theory we have is that the rifle gas piston design was compromised by shortening the barrel so much and this could be having an effect on reliability. YMMV. Personally I'd just get the standard version first because it has been out a long time and is well proven. The scout version would probably be a very close second if you really want a shorter barrel. The SOCOM I would avoid. I know someone else with one and he got rid of it to get the standard length. Not only was the gun quieter to shoot (no muzzle brake), but he also said it was more accurate (probably due to longer sight radius).

I like the standard USGI fiberglass stock personally on the M1A. It's light, tough and weather proof. It makes a good field use stock. They are relatively cheap so you can buy multiples and put a paint job on each depending on what's in fashion at the moment.

You should get one if for no other reason that you want one. There are cheaper more accurate alternatives but you should go with what you like. You can do plenty of shooting with iron sights before moving on to mounting a scope. They are a lot of fun and will give you many years of service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...308 is well over $1 a round now, and if your just putting holes in targets it might not be worth it. Its not a plinking gun(at least for me)...
</div></div>

I don't know what kind of ammo you're buying, but if your paying $1 a round, you're getting raped! Do better searching, and you can find it for around half that.

get a loaded, shim the gas block if it needs it buy a smith enterprise mount and put a 3-9 scope on ther. add a leather military style sling so you can loop up proper. if your anythin like me thatll give you a very usable 1-1.5 moa rifle for under $2000.