• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would you trade you bolt gun for a gasser???

Re: Would you trade you bolt gun for a gasser???

Yes, rapid engagement out to 550 yards. the original post read like you already made up your mind. I don't think you will be dissapointed. DPMS SASS, MWS, POF, Armalite, there are some new designs for 2012 and I am sure you will find something to your liking.

Oh, and I forgot to add that YES, I would trade a good bolt gun for a premium gasser.

I took 3 friends out to shoot steel the other weekend with my MWS.

Two girls who never fired a rifle before and my friend who mainly shoots pistol, were all hitting on every shot to 500 yards.

I parted out my 700 but still have the barreled action around, holding out hope for a comeback but I'm kept very busy with the LMT.

No. I say this after selling my last bolt rifle to run semi-autos. As much as I love the semi's I'm currently having another bolt gun built by BlackOps Precision as I really miss the platform. Think of them as two different tools in your toolbox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CallOfDuty#1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gas gun are more bad ass</div></div>

Really? That's your reason? Stay away from the video games. </div></div>

LOOK at his name... I bet he would no scope a coyote running, with a 15mph crosswind, at 700yds. And then he would do a 360 degree spin out of a 2nd floor building dual wielding akimbo pistols with a rpg strapped to his back... HE KNOWS BAS ASS WHEN HE SEE'S IT!!! lol sorry I just had to..
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think of them as two different tools in your toolbox. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. But once I've that stick keeps .5 MOA, gas or bolt, I'm keeping.....

I can always start a new coffee can piggy bank if I wanted a new one.....why limit yourself?

I'm considering selling my bolt-action .308 for a semi-auto. My logic behind it:

I wanted a different, more comfortable stock. I wanted a new barrel contour and to have threads for a can. So I had planned to swap those out and got to thinking "why?" I then realized it would be easier to start from scratch. So I decided to sell my bolt-gun for a semi-auto. In the mean-time, I plan to start another "coffee can 'o' savings" for a new stock, barrel, and all the rest for my donor action.

The gas-gun is more versatile and useful in the mean time, but I do want to have both. Besides, I have bolt-actions in better calibers anyway.

i like the simplicity the accuracy and the reliability of the bolt guns. don't get me wrong gas guns have their ups and i would own both but i wouldn't trade my bolt for one

I've traded my bolt for one, I have more purposes for the gasser in 6x45 (being a college student only allows for one gun for me now but will be adding in the future), but will eventually buy a larger bore bolt for longer range shooting.

If you can only have one or the other, I would go with a semi. Close range capability will be king in many, many situations. A semi (depending on configuration) might be hampered at distance, but the positives outweigh the negatives imho.

I competed at Mammoth Sniper Match at the first of the month and had Jon Paul of JP rifles, and some guys from MidwayUSA in our squad. They were all shooting gas operated 308's as primary and secondary weapons!! With 4 to 8 min time intervals per stage, a bolt was hard to keep up. Army Marksmanship Unit came in first. Jon Paul came in 8th. Many of the competitors used Semi Auto's and almost all secondary weapons were Semi auto 308's

If targets are under 600 yards and you know how to handle 308 autos, it is the way to go. If your targets are 700 to 1200 yards, then a bolt is still a viable platform.

I learned a hard lesson and next time I will grab my LMT MWS instead of my Surgeon or Remington bolt actions.

"If you can only have one or the other, I would go with a semi. Close range capability will be king in many, many situations. A semi (depending on configuration) might be hampered at distance, but the positives outweigh the negatives imho."

I agree with nleaders.....

I ordered a Noveske barrel 20 inch for my LMT MWS 308 when I got home from Mammoth!!!

For me it would depend on usage. For target shooting out to 600 yards I would go with the semi. For almost everything else the bolt would probably win out. I have hunted with a an ar10 but they are heavy and I most likely wont do it again.

I'm not an AR 10 fan, but I shoot a different semi. More rounds, faster target engagement, and it's very accurate. Unless I was trying to push maxium range I just prefer to stick with what I have. I choose the 1.8-10x37mm scope also. It's a nice size for rifles like my M21, AR10, or a 308 bolt gun.

It would have to be a gas gun for me. built right they are very accurate and the quick followup shot may be important when the oh!! crap!! happens up close and personal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both and use them differently, 2 different tools for 2 different jobs.

</div></div>

+1

My bolt 308 has a 26 inch tube and my gaser has a 16 inch tube ...

my vote is yes. but I also dont own any supper accurate bolt rifles. I also believe in the right tool for the job. I love the simplicity of a bolt but when im predator hunting and have more then one or two dogs its nice to have the quick target acquisition. thas why I own both lol

I own both a DI (Armalite Ar-10a2) and a piston gun (LWRC Repr). Either way you go you can't go wrong if you buy a quality gun. $600 AR's that are DI generally are going to have an issue at some point in my experience.....they will break at some point because of the low end parts. Same goes for a piston gun....if your are going to get one or trade for one buy one from a comapny that builds them specifically from the ground up...like LWRC...shamless promo here.

If you have the cash just get both and you will never be unhappy.

I voted yes.
More versatile, reliability on most higher end modern gas guns is spot on. As far as wgt goes, they will probably weigh about the same either way. I think a gasser is more fun. Out to 550, a gasser is in it's comfort zone in 308. Only 1 rifle, gasser every time. A bolt can get you into some shit, but I would want a gasser to get me out. As far as shooting them accurately goes, I don't see what folks are talking about. Maybe it is just me, but I shoot a gassers just as I do my bolts. Its all the same to me in that regard. I would save a bolt gun build for a better suited long range caliber, like 338 lm, 50-45, 50-338 or a 20-50.
smile.gif

Bolt guns are more fun and reliable IMO

everybody is talking about reliability. How often have you had your gas guns go down? Me = 0. There is maint involved with every mechanical device, bolt or gasser. Clean then every now and then, give them some oil or grease and you are good to go. Sure, shit happens...but by the sounds of it...folks are have a ftf like every other round or something. What are all of these reliability issues that folks are having to make them shy away from gassers?