• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wounded Warrior Project anti-gun controversy

Yeah, they will take donations from gun related business all day long but don't expect them to support a gun related function. I am still surprised by how many gun/2nd Amendment people still contribute or recommend this charity when it is clearly not PRO gun. Not to mention that the CEO takes home something like 300k+ a year. People are better of giving to the Green Beret foundation ( Green Beret Foundation | Home) or the SOWF (Special Operations Warrior Foundation), both organizations are PRO gun and actually pass a lot of money to the people who are in need of it, some thing most charities are horrible about doing.

Before donating to this or any other charity PLEASE research how much money actually goes to those who are supposed to benefit from the charity.
I won't bad mouth this organization but I will say - you will be supprised and perhaps as upset as I was.

Ray

Wow, $0.66 of every $1 donated to WWP goes to admin costs? Anti-gun or not, that ratio alone is enough to never get a donation from me.

Yeah, they will take donations from gun related business all day long but don't expect them to support a gun related function. I am still surprised by how many gun/2nd Amendment people still contribute or recommend this charity when it is clearly not PRO gun. Not to mention that the CEO takes home something like 300k+ a year. People are better of giving to the Green Beret foundation ( Green Beret Foundation | Home) or the SOWF (Special Operations Warrior Foundation), both organizations are PRO gun and actually pass a lot of money to the people who are in need of it, some thing most charities are horrible about doing.

+1
Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project

Their functions are considered a petting zoo for celebs....very sad. There are plenty of not so popular orgs that do real stuff for vets. Just do some research.

Tapatalk2

What began as a really good thing has become a platform for greed, corruption, and lip service to the Wounded Veteran. From what I have seen, the Wounded Vet has become not much more than a face or a cause for enriching the CEO and sucking up everyone's money

That is truly dissapointing. Our vets who put their bacon on the line and came back injured because of their valor deserve much more than 1/3 of the money that gets donated to a cause that supposedly supports them.

Do any of you guys know any honorable orginizations who really do their part to help our guys?

Is that fund for Marine vets only? I would like to know more.

I have met several of our wounded warriors out at rifle matches, and those guys deserve every ounce of respect and appreciation as our grandfathers who kicked ass for world freedom back in WWII.

Why is this still being brought up? If you don't agree, don't give them your money.
I stopped caring about them after I found they wern't really interisted in helping wounded vets like myself.
End of story.

My veteran charity of choice is Special Operations Warrior Foundation. They've got a great rating from charity navigator and do good work.

I think the reason this issue keeps coming up is that not everyone is sufficiently informed, and the WWP continues to be prominent despite it's anti-gun stances and lousy use of money. I honestly think a thread like this should be stickied so that people are constantly reminded that just because an organization is a "non-profit", it doesn't mean that they're actually charitable and upstanding.

Why is this still being brought up? If you don't agree, don't give them your money.
I stopped caring about them after I found they wern't really interisted in helping wounded vets like myself.
End of story.

Why you ask? Because not everyone is aware of it. You would be surprised how many pro gun people and gun industry people aren't up to speed on this info and still recommend and or make donations to WWP. That's why.

I'm out...there are many charitable orgnizations with low adm. costs and non-political views that would be happy to have my $$

Thanks for posting. I was going to do some volunteer work for this group and was ready to research it a bit further. You saved me the time. I will look into the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

Before donating to this or any other charity PLEASE research how much money actually goes to those who are supposed to benefit from the charity.
I won't bad mouth this organization but I will say - you will be supprised and perhaps as upset as I was.

Ray

Not as bad as many, like HSUS uses about 99% of donations for operating costs.

TWWP uses 60 -70% last time I checked.

Glad I found out before donating to them.

Wow, $0.66 of every $1 donated to WWP goes to admin costs? Anti-gun or not, that ratio alone is enough to never get a donation from me.

That is disgusting. In the UK Help for Heroes reports that 98p of every £1 goes to their charitable activities. How you can do anything else makes me sick.

How much money does the Commander of the American Legion make in annual salary? Answer:The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

That is very unfortunate to hear. Thank you for posting, Ted, I hadn't heard anything about this.

I've given to WWP and get a lot of stuff in the mail from them, but I'll hunt around for an actually pro-2nd ground that gives more than 34% to out soldiers.

Along with any funding you can do, give your time. VA hospitals and Vet Centers always looking for volunteers.

Domt know or care a out their politics. They've done a lot for me and others I know

No one is denying that they do good work, but they're not the only ones that do. Why support an organization that seems to think ostracizing those in the gun community is more profitable than being welcoming to them?

It's foolish and it's political. Your right to support them, their right to have this position; but it's my right to give money and time to the hundreds of other organziations that do the exact same thing.

A lot of damage has been done to the 2nd amendment because there's a lot of "doesn't affect me, I don't care" about many aspects. I don't think you or I should be treated as a second-class citizen for exercising a constitutional right. Just my radical .02.

My veteran charity of choice is Special Operations Warrior Foundation. They've got a great rating from charity navigator and do good work.

I think the reason this issue keeps coming up is that not everyone is sufficiently informed, and the WWP continues to be prominent despite it's anti-gun stances and lousy use of money. I honestly think a thread like this should be stickied so that people are constantly reminded that just because an organization is a "non-profit", it doesn't mean that they're actually charitable and upstanding.

I wouldn't say they're not upstanding, in the strictest sense of the word. They're honest about what they do, the top dog at WWP is openly taking a $300K salary, he's not embezzling that money. They're just doing a shitty job of spending the donations where it should be spent. I'm sure many have been helped by the WWP, but they could help a lot more if someone unfucked their finances.

Not surprising when you consider the HUGE amount of TV advertising they do. I am leary of supporting any cause that can saturate the airwaves with ads.

I wouldn't say they're not upstanding, in the strictest sense of the word. They're honest about what they do, the top dog at WWP is openly taking a $300K salary, he's not embezzling that money. They're just doing a shitty job of spending the donations where it should be spent. I'm sure many have been helped by the WWP, but they could help a lot more if someone unfucked their finances.

I think you and I have different definitions of the word "upstanding." Any organization that gives mixed signals regarding what it does and does not feel appropriate, especially when donations are at stake, fails in the "upstanding" category. There are many hunters, gun owners, ranges, and veterans who have given time, money, and service to further the WWP brand. Now we come to find out that they've got an anti-gun agenda after they've gotten our time and cash. No thanks.

If you're a veterans service organization, leave your politics at the door. You don't need to take a stand either way on guns, but if you are going to take a stand, don't stand on the wrong side.

Disclaimer: I'm a combat vet myself. I appreciate what WWP is trying to do, but do not like the inefficiency or manner in which they're doing it. Find one of the smaller funds that use the funds more efficiently and don't have a political agenda (or one that actually supports 2nd Amendment rights, as most veterans do). Just my 2 cents.

That is truly dissapointing. Our vets who put their bacon on the line and came back injured because of their valor deserve much more than 1/3 of the money that gets donated to a cause that supposedly supports them.

Do any of you guys know any honorable orginizations who really do their part to help our guys?

I'm out...there are many charitable orgnizations with low adm. costs and non-political views that would be happy to have my $$

How much money does the Commander of the American Legion make in annual salary? Answer:The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

Along with any funding you can do, give your time. VA hospitals and Vet Centers always looking for volunteers.

For the miniquotes, look above ^^^ The VFW or American Legion uses volunteers too

Domt know or care a out their politics. They've done a lot for me and others I know

Do you care about how they're essentially running it like a business in order to pay excessively high administrative costs under the guise that they're doing it for the vets? Charity watchdogs for years have been giving them a bad credit rating due to their excessively high overhead costs.

This is an old topic. I'll have to research but it was brought up last year how this was going on and how WWP even ditched veterans on the curbside waiting to be picked up for a shooting event because at the last minute they opted to not participate because of their views on firearms.

Do you care about how they're essentially running it like a business in order to pay excessively high administrative costs under the guise that they're doing it for the vets? Charity watchdogs for years have been giving them a bad credit rating due to their excessively high overhead costs.

This is an old topic. I'll have to research but it was brought up last year how this was going on and how WWP even ditched veterans on the curbside waiting to be picked up for a shooting event because at the last minute they opted to not participate because of their views on firearms.

I really don't think anyone should be bagging on a wounded vet for caring about politics. I don't care for WWP myself, however the guy received help and am happy to hear someone did.

Tapatalk2

I really don't think anyone should be bagging on a wounded vet for caring about politics. I don't care for WWP myself, however the guy received help and am happy to hear someone did.

Tapatalk2

Wow... I never bagged on a wounded vet you fucking retard. I asked him question to point out how it goes beyond politics. You're an idiot and I see your misdirection knows no bounds.

Wow... I never bagged on a wounded vet you fucking retard. I asked him question to point out how it goes beyond politics. You're an idiot and I see your misdirection knows no bounds.

There you go again contributing to the maturity of this site. Personal attacks from a keyboard commando. Thanks for ruining this site.

Tapatalk2

There you go again contributing to the maturity of this site. Personal attacks from a keyboard commando. Thanks for ruining this site.

Tapatalk2

Let me know when you're done being a hypocrite and have a real response to any of the bullshit statements you put out about others. I like how you tried to insinuate something that if true would bring everyone out in support of you but clearly wasn't so now you're trying to spin it another direction. Try again evader...

Oh well. I hate to hear that. That's what happened to the local United Way. I used to work for the largest employer in this end of the state. In 1987 we went out on strike. One evening on the news they had the director on TV and asked how the strike at the plant would affect their donations. He came out with, "We'll get along just fine without them". When we went back to work people were getting the papers to have their funds stopped by the dozens. In 2 months their donations at the plant shrank over 80%. That CEO was fired 6 months later. When everyone found out how much he was getting paid they wanted him gone.

WWP just build a young soldier (?) (I'm not sure what service) a new handicap accessible home in the next county. It was a whole new home. They even built him a 50 yard firing range into the bank behind the house.

I guess now I'll be sending my money elsewhere.

Thats sad. I see alot of WWP t-shirts and stickers, I wonder if those people really know whats going on, or they just dont care. I guess $0.33 is better than nothing, but I would like to see that reversed. $0.33 for admin, and $0.66 for the vets.

I am a Vet and I DO have a problem with WWP. I do not doubt that WWP has helped some vets out but in the big picture of things, if one takes the time to look at it, what WWP has done to help vets out is but a drop in the bucket and the rest of that water in the bucket is being used for everything other than helping vets. I have a HUGE problem with that coupled with the fact that they are hypocritical in their business practices of accepting gun money and are ANTI Gun.

The point is, everyone has a choice as to which organization they contribute to, don't bag on individuals here in this thread, it's pointless. Instead, contribute your money intelligently and let your conscious be your guide.

Uhm Becker999 didn't you personally attack him first by claiming he was bagging on a wounded vet? Hypocrisy? I think so. Please try to refrain from going full retard.... People will call you on it. I know I will...Nothing irritates me more than someone that attacks someone then whines when the person responds accordingly.... Especially if they act like they never started the disagreement. Btw, we all know Nick can be a prick.... Ahhh the good old F & D threads... Lol...but he's a lovable prick. I apologize for going off topic.

Last edited:
Uhm Becker999 didn't you personally attack him first by claiming he was bagging on a wounded vet? Hypocrisy? I think so.

When it was already stated they didn't "know or care" and then you go ask them "you don't care?" Yes it sounds a bit condescending, and then the other guy resorts to grade school name calling. Call it what you want...

Tapatalk2

When it was already stated they didn't "know or care" and then you go ask them "you don't care?" Yes it sounds a bit condescending, and then the other guy resorts to grade school name calling. Call it what you want...

Tapatalk2

You still personally attacked him first.... You are clearly being hypocritical, maybe a bit less abrasive but little difference..... you get what you give and what you said is essentially the same behavior. Aren't you being completely self righteous?

Last edited:

Tapatalk2

You constantly call me names in other posts and yet here you are talking about me being a grade schooler (which again is name calling but doesn't seem to apply to you). I never once was condescending to him but asked a question and here you come claiming I was "bagging on a wounded vet" which was complete bullshit. Fact is you're a douche that wants to try and twist something I said into something it wasn't in hopes you'd gain friends or somehow get a pat on the back from other vets. Hows that working out for you?

You constantly call me names in other posts and yet here you are talking about me being a grade schooler (which again is name calling but doesn't seem to apply to you). I never once was condescending to him but asked a question and here you come claiming I was "bagging on a wounded vet" which was complete bullshit. Fact is you're a douche that wants to try and twist something I said into something it wasn't in hopes you'd gain friends or somehow get a pat on the back from other vets. Hows that working out for you?

I am a vet and I don't need a pat on the back from anyone. I haven't once called you a derogatory name as the evidence in those posts clearly show your antics. Grow up. But it is funny to see people to talk to others like this from behind the safety of their keyboards. I am baffled as to why people need to posture up on a forum. Many of us come here to soak up and share information, not to deal with such childishness.

Tapatalk2

This is part of the fun.

I am a vet and I don't need a pat on the back from anyone. I haven't once called you a derogatory name as the evidence in those posts clearly show your antics. Grow up. But it is funny to see people to talk to others like this from behind the safety of their keyboards. I am baffled as to why people need to posture up on a forum. Many of us come here to soak up and share information, not to deal with such childishness.

Tapatalk2

Tapatalk2

Yeah.. not once.... or even twice...

becker999 said:
....from a keyboard commando.

And I love how you're talking about other peoples maturity and posturing while at the same time you say shit like "from behind the safety of their keyboards." and prove my point further about how you don't practice what you preach. But feel free to bring it up with me in person if we ever meet and see if that statement holds true...

Add: Anyone that quantifies a statement in an argument with who they are before the statement obviously wants the recognition or they wouldn't need to say it.

Last edited:
Simple fact is that WWP does not support the Constitution, being a vet myself as is my wife and my sons I will choose to take my money elsewhere. I don't sell out my belief in the Constitution and the rights that come with it for anything, period. I swore to protect and defend it with my life, as my family did, I will not support any organization that wants to assault it directly, indirectly, by subversion, or omission. Fk THEM. That being said they have the right to do what they want I just wont be a party to it, in any way shape or form. I o agree above, as a public charity, they should leave their politics at the door one way or another, like the Salvation Army.

Last edited:

Do I care? Not at all, it is a business. Watch dogs can give them whatever rating they want yet ill take personal experience over a watchdog site. I can remember getti g a care package from them before I even came home. They helped me with the VA, they got me and my wife (among others) plane tickets, a hotel room, transportation and Super Bowl tickets. Hell they even had an agreement to get me LASIK eye surgery last year. All without a penny out of my pocket, and with a thank you. They still send me under armor gear on a regular basis. So under the guise that they're doing it for the vets? No clue what your talking about, they've done more for vets than any organization I have ever seen.

hey should leave their politics at the door one way or another, like the Salvation Army.

Not so much, every year the Salvation Army sends christmas gift packages to every inmate in the state of PA. I'd assume others as well

Hey I've gotta apologize for some of my typing, most of the time I'm on my ipad and it lets certain things go by when I type wrong or miss a key.

Last edited: