• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Wrecked my Ranger, 2x SkeetIRx, and UTC-Xii tonight!

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    Just walked in the door. Was out alone in my shiny, new 2020 Ranger Crew XP 1000 tonight. I had dual #RealSkeets on my head and a UTC-Xii on my rifle. I was heading down a private dirt road that is a couple of miles long, maybe doing 10-15 MPH, when I spot a heat signature to my left about 100 yards into the woods. I stop and reverse slowly and, just as I’m about to catch a glimpse of the animal, my left-rear wheel goes into an erosion spot that has taken a chunk out of the road. Immediately, the Ranger goes nose-up and begins to roll over into the swamp!

🤬 🤬🤬🤬🤬

My $30K helmet comes off and goes into the murky depth. My $30K rifle flies by me and does likewise. My iPhone and sundries goes into the drink. And I’m half-way immersed into the slimy stench myself. I’m buckled in and panic for 3-5 seconds, thinking I’m going to sink and drown. I have to focus and catch my breath for a few seconds and literally count — 1...2...3...4...5 — and start to extricate myself from the predicament.

I’m down a private dirt road that probably sees 3 vehicles a month. I’m in deep woods. My phone is at the bottom of a swamp, I’m trapped in an overturned buggy. Worst part is... I had torn meniscus surgery in my left knee... YESTERDAY!!!

Yeah, I’m all kinds of messed-up.

My flashlight that was on the dash was now in the swamp, so I can’t see a damn thing. Fortunately, it’s practically a full moon! I grope around, hoping to find my phone. Thank GOD! After a minute or so of feeling around I manage to find it. It’s an iPhone 11, so supposedly waterproof — it works! I call home, reach my wife, she sets things in motion (and she’s a bit freaked-out). I manage to extricate myself from the quagmire. After 20 minutes I find my helmet with both Skeets covered in mud, but my UTC laden rifle was underwater for 2 hours, not to mention the 1.5/6x Elcan (that I got 1 week ago) a MAWL and suppressor.

I get home and the tow truck has already arrived with the Ranger. We offload the buggy in my driveway, and pay him his due — they had 3 trucks and a whole crew onsite 15 minutes after I called! Worth every penny!

I grab the stinky, mud-encrusted kit from the back of my BIL’s pickup. I figure things can’t get any worse, so I hose everything down — good as new, but soaking wet. Do I dare try to see if they still work while drenched? Of course I do!

And... it ALL works!!!

I don’t know whether I’m more surprised or relieved. The prospect of replacing $60K in gear (that I do NOT have insured outside of my standard homeowner’s policy) was not something I look forward to.

More photos later. I’m going to bed. All-in-all, it could have been a LOT worse — like drowning alone in a swamp late at night worse. Saying my prayers and offering thanks for that, big time!

7300FB83-C91E-4FA1-8F3C-E2931956DAA9.jpeg

Last edited:
    I would have started the canonization proceedings on your behalf as I feel you have created at least three miracles in the NV/Thermal world. God bless you for living or we might not all get to know what is even remotely possibly in non .mil world.

maybe one day we might meet. And I can see all the glory. Glad you are ok.

The above events bring into question your ability to safely care for your devices. You are going to have to relinquish them to protective custody until someone, somewhere in a bureaucracy can determine you are a fit owner. I'll send the address separately. Thank you for your compliance...

In all seriousness though, glad things didn't go worse. Shows some of the benefit of going with good gear. I wonder how chinaskeets would have fared in the same situation...

Glad you are ok dude!!

Maybe we all need to find an insurance policy as a group buy to save a few bucks and insure this shit. I cant even imagine replacing half the gear you almost lost!

Glad you are ok dude!!

Maybe we all need to find an insurance policy as a group buy to save a few bucks and insure this shit. I cant even imagine replacing half the gear you almost lost!
    I’ve never had a claim but Eastern insurance is supposed to be great for guns and optics. Pretty sure it covers theft damage etc. only have to itemize the stuff that is $10,000 or above. They offer ammo insurance now too

I have to say it, but your stories about driving in the pitch gave me the willies, though I did not imagine upside down in a swamp...
    You need to be kneemailing thanks.

Reactions: TheHorta
    Damn , sounds like something i’d do , but with less $$ stuff. Glad your o.k. , as isofahunter pointed out , life can change in an instant... I was running this morning and blew my L knee out , can’t fathom post-op 😳

• Wow
    Makes me think of all the close calls I've had night hunting. I can't imagine not doing it, but a great reminder to be extra careful, and still things can happen. Hopefully, no setbacks with your health. Will include you in my prayers.

Wow. Just the thought of that roll into the creek sounds terrifying. I am glad we are not reading a post this morning from your wife or another member about The Horta That Was..... and still have The Horta That Is. The upside is in an unexpected way you have completed the ultimate torture test for a variety of gear. And removed some doubt about the durability of the ChinaSkeet. Here’s to a speedy recovery from surgery and the accident🍻

Just walked in the door. Was out alone in my shiny, new 2020 Ranger Crew XP 1000 tonight. I had dual #RealSkeets on my head and a UTC-Xii on my rifle. I was heading down a private dirt road that is a couple of mile long, maybe doing 10-15 MPH, when I spot a heat signature to my left about 100 yards into the woods. I stop and reverse slowly and, just as I’m about to catch a glimpse of the animal, my left-rear wheel goes into an erosion spot that has taken a chunk out of the road. Immediately, the Ranger goes nose-up and begins to roll over into the swamp!

🤬 🤬🤬🤬🤬

My $30K helmet comes off and goes into the murky depth. My $30K rifle flies by me and does likewise. My iPhone and sundries goes into the drink. And I’m half-way immersed into the slimy stench myself. I’m buckled in and panic for 3-5 seconds, thinking I’m going to sink and drown. I have to focus and catch my breath for a few second and literally count — 1...2...3...4...5 — and start to extricate myself from the predicament.

I’m down a private dirt road that probably sees 3 vehicles a month. I’m in deep woods. My phone is at the bottom of a swamp, I’m trapped in an overturned buggy. Worst part is... I had torn meniscus surgery in my left knee... YESTERDAY!!!

Yeah, I’m all kinds of messed-up.

My flashlight that was on the dash was now in the swamp, so I can’t see a damn thing. Fortunately, it’s practically a full moon! I grope around, hoping to find my phone. Thank GOD! After a minute or so of feeling around I manage to find it. It’s an iPhone 11, so supposedly waterproof — it works! I call home, reach my wife, she sets things in motion (and she’s a bit freaked-out). I manage to extricate myself from the quagmire. After 20 minutes I find my helmet with both Skeets covered in mud, but my UTC laden rifle was underwater for 2 hours, not to mention the 1.5/6x Elcan (that I got 1 week ago) a MAWL and suppressor.

I get home and the tow truck has already arrived with the Ranger. We offload the buggy in my driveway, and pay him his due — they had 3 trucks and a whole crew onsite 15 minutes after I called! Worth every penny!

I grab the stinky, mud-encrusted kit from the back of my BIL’s pickup. I figure things can’t get any worse, so I hose everything down — good as new, but soaking wet. Do I dare try to see if they still work while drenched? Of course I do!

And... it ALL works!!!

I don’t know whether I’m more surprised or relieved. The prospect of replacing $60K in gear (that I do NOT have insured outside of my standard homeowner’s policy) was not something I look forward to.

More photos later. I’m going to bed. All-in-all, it could have been a LOT worse — like drowning alone in a swamp late at night worse. Saying my prayers and offering thanks for that, big time!

View attachment 7388933
    somewhere between thoughts and prayers, and stunning and brave.

Holy crap. Glad you're alright Horta!

Speaking of insurance... because of recommendations on the Hide, I've looked into Eastern. Covers everything except 'flooding'... I suspect she pointed that out specifically because I mentioned living in FL.

Wow. Just the thought of that roll into the creek sounds terrifying. I am glad we are not reading a post this morning from your wife or another member about The Horta That Was..... and still have The Horta That Is. The upside is in an unexpected way you have completed the ultimate torture test for a variety of gear. And removed some doubt about the durability of the ChinaSkeet. Here’s to a speedy recovery from surgery and the accident🍻
    He wasn’t using China Mart he was using powerball skeet skeets

I Hope your knee is good.

First, thanks for all the well-wishes. Youz guyz is da best!

Second, I definitely did something to the knee. Woke up this morning and it’s swollen and sore as hell. Whole body is sore, neck sore, back sore, fun times!

It took me about 10-15 minutes to get myself out of the buggy. I was strapped in and in about 2 feet of water, but the bottom was soggy, so I was holding myself part way out of the water with my left arm, but it kept sinking into the mud bottom so I kept having to reposition. I was wearing gloves, but they were now both soaked and mud covered, so I couldn’t grab anything with my right hand because it kept slipping off. I couldn’t use my left hand to take the glove off, so after a few minutes of just trying to hold myself out of the water, with no other options, I used my teeth to remove the muddy glove. Tasty.

I’m packing 70 spare pounds and have all the flexibility of a railroad spike. Maneuvering in tight space from funky positions isn’t in my skill set. Then there’s my left knee, that’s supposed to stay dry and treated tenderly. It was the perfect storm. Fortunately, I found my iPhone and called my wife from inside the buggy within the first 2-3 minutes. I hate Siri with a frickin’ passion, but she came in handy last night. Credit where credit is due.

I’m determined to become a frickin’ anorexic tactical yoga instructor now. It may one day save my life.

Yes Sir, that was a bad event. Glad you are ok and your equipment is ok too.

However, I would not have expected anything less from a man that can survive the Suits. (y)

Damn , sounds like something i’d do , but with less $$ stuff. Glad your o.k. , as isofahunter pointed out , life can change in an instant... I was running this morning and blew my L knee out , can’t fathom post-op 😳

Mine happened similarly... well, OK, that’s a lie — I was walking, not running. All of a sudden, everything is good , then it wasn’t.

I have no one but myself to blame. I have all the willpower of a whore on crack.

Glad you made it out in one piece. Very lucky dude, very lucky. No cell phone or no reception can turn a normal evening in the swamp into deep Kim-chi. Hunting alone at night several miles off the grid is extremely rewarding. Murphy is always willing to test us. Travel safe.

That's some scary shit!

Glad it didn't turn out worse than it did. Hopefully worst thing from it will be a little slower recovery.

Good reminder for a battle buddy in there somewhere though...

Also a good testimony in there for buying quality gear! You purchased top shelf side by side and you lived through a roll. New phone was actually water proof and worked. Top shelf thermals still worked after turning into swamp thing for a while. Sometimes you get what you pay for...

Sounds like things turned out as well as they could all things considered

• Love
    Reactions: CBDR and TheHorta
    That's some scary shit!

Glad it didn't turn out worse than it did. Hopefully worst thing from it will be a little slower recovery.

Good reminder for a battle buddy in there somewhere though...

Also a good testimony in there for buying quality gear! You purchased top shelf side by side and you lived through a roll. New phone was actually water proof and worked. Top shelf thermals still worked after turning into swamp thing for a while. Sometimes you get what you pay for...

Sounds like things turned out as well as they could all things considered

Was thinking the same thing about a Battle Buddy, then I was thinking about him being on top of me and me having to hold both of us up. That “He’s not heavy, he’s my brother” stuff only goes so far. 😁

Right-on with the quality gear. I’ve been thinking about switching to my dual ChinaSkeets at night and preserving my RealSkeets for special occasions, but I’m just about certain they would NOT have survived.

I have to say it, but your stories about driving in the pitch gave me the willies, though I did not imagine upside down in a swamp...
    You need to be kneemailing thanks.

Love the “kneemailing” comment. Definitely been a humbling experience and a sober realization that He will work “all things for good that love Him and are called according to His purpose.”

I’m as “prodigal” as they come, but I’ll never stop loving Him.

Was thinking the same thing about a Battle Buddy, then I was thinking about him being on top of me and me having to hold both of us up. That “He’s not heavy, he’s my brother” stuff only goes so far. 😁

Right-on with the quality gear. I’ve been thinking about switching to my dual ChinaSkeets at night and preserving my RealSkeets for special occasions, but I’m just about certain they would NOT have survived.
    Sounds like another test is in order

• Haha
    Reactions: TheHorta and Fig
    Glad you’re ok. Most of my night time excursions involve driving a UTV so looking forward to hearing a recap of your “lessons learned”.

I’ve already picked out a few that I’m going to implement immediately.

Glad you’re ok. Most of my night time excursions involve driving a UTV so looking forward to hearing a recap of your “lessons learned”.

I’ve already picked out a few that I’m going to implement immediately.

“Backup camera”. :p

• Haha
    Reactions: Rerun7
    You couldn't think of better way to test the IPX rating on your gear ?
    Glad your OK and lucky you were wearing your seat belt, as I had a friend that did the same thing in his jacked up CJ5 , but he wasn't wearing his seat belt and he went out the door and the jeep rolled over on him, drowning him in six inches of water.
    Gear can be replaced.
    You need to take this as a learning experience.
    Secure Rifle rack + gear storage and maybe some training wheels or a flotation device on the ranger ?
    Hope your meniscus is just sore and not damaged.
    Get well soon.
    SJC

• Love

Yea... Sometimes buddies are a liability, but sometimes they drag you out of crap by your collar before you can get your own head screwed back on straight

I wouldn't wager on the Corona twins making the same trip either

Just throw the helmet on in next time you need to test them though

... preserving my RealSkeets for special occasions ..

Well, in the event, you did exactly that ... you tested those realSkeets in a "special occasion" ...

Headline: Large man almost dies in a ditch. Clearly you cannot be trusted with such expensive gear, so I will offer a buck on the thousand.
    Your knee, it is best to go bionic ;)

I knew a lifeguard who almost drown in a puddle.

• Love
    High five to your guardian angel and glad it worked out ok for you and the stuff.
    Had practically the same thing happen once night vision hunting but was lucky the drainage was dry. Still get chills being reminded of it.
    That feeling of about to meet your maker in the next five seconds ain’t no joke.