• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Wrecked my Ranger, 2x SkeetIRx, and UTC-Xii tonight!

This is another part of the Hide that does not often receive much recognition. When one of the members shares a close call that very easily could have gone bad. We forget our indifference's. I think that's called camaraderie.

Glad you're alright. Accidents suck, but they happen, and it sucks when they happen ha.

Reactions: TheHorta
High five to your guardian angel and glad it worked out ok for you and the stuff.
Had practically the same thing happen once night vision hunting but was lucky the drainage was dry. Still get chills being reminded of it.
That feeling of about to meet your maker in the next five seconds ain’t no joke.

Yup! You’re goin’ over and your brain is saying “This is bad. This is REALLY BAD!” and there’s not a thing you can do about it.

Close call and glad to hear of your outcome, hope the knee continues to mend well. Just have to say though, what a waste of probably one of the best potential "I lost my guns and kit in a boating accident" stories I have heard yet.
By the way @TheHorta I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread about it but what are realskeets? Brand, model, etc. I need to get some nods/thermal in the near future and want to do it right the first time. Thanks.

When you knew you were going over were you more worried about yourself or your gear? I would've probably been worried about the gear, LOL

In all seriousness, glad the Lord was riding shotgun that night

When you knew you were going over were you more worried about yourself or your gear? I would've probably been worried about the gear, LOL

In all seriousness, glad the Lord was riding shotgun that night

Once I landed and figured out I wasn't in mortal danger, which took about 5-10 seconds, I was all about the gear.

Close call and glad to hear of your outcome, hope the knee continues to mend well. Just have to say though, what a waste of probably one of the best potential "I lost my guns and kit in a boating accident" stories I have heard yet.
By the way @TheHorta I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread about it but what are realskeets? Brand, model, etc. I need to get some nods/thermal in the near future and want to do it right the first time. Thanks.

#RealSkeet as opposed to #ChinaSkeet / #CoronaSkeet. Real Skeets are the genuine Trijicon SkeetIR-x thermal monoculars. CoronaSkeet are the iRAY MH25 thermal monoculars from Chy-nah. RealSkeets are ~$15K/ea. ChinaSkeets are ~$5K/ea.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
So... I went out last night in my Stealth XR battery-powered buggy with all the same kit that went muddin' in the bog Saturday night. Everything performed perfectly, zero issues. No cosmetic damage either (except to the ear-pro on my helmet that took a little scuff when they banged against the metal roll cage in the Ranger). I had removed everything from my rifle rail for a good cleaning and completely stripped the rifle. After about 2 hours of careful cleaning, inspection and reassembly I set out for a couple of hours. Even went back the the scene of the crime (where a donkey was on the loose, outside his wire). Then I rolled into a hay field and spotted a 'yote about 200-ish yards away. He either didn't see me or didn't care (the beauty of battery power). I whistled and he popped up, staring right at me. Put my Elcan dot via UTC right on him, center-mass, and let one loose. MISS!!!

WTH?

I didn't yip. It was a clean shot. But I did take a mag that had completely different ammo (originally zeroed on 75gr BTHP, switched to 55gr VMAX) AND I didn't have a chance to re-check zero. I just assumed everything would go back to zero once cleaned and assembled.

@TheHorta - glad you are upright and things seem good.

Those helmets have amazing things called chin straps that keep them on your head.

Still laugh about the guy I saw riding BMX in the park when I was there with my kid.
Knee/shin pads and a full face helmet. Chin strap flappin in the wind.
My sorta recent lady couldnt stand the chin strap on her ski helmet being correctly tightened. She was miffed when I told her she may as well skip wearing one.

That dome protector does more than hold fancy thermals, or at least with a strap keeps em attached rather than swamp treasures....

again, glad you are ok.
and yes, being healthy and fit is a key part of surviving bad stuff. Not just this.
Take care

if you hate wearing the strap hugging your chin, ops core makes a gas mask extender that extends it to the point where you can wear it hugging your neck. Personally, I prefer it around my chin.

if you hate wearing the strap hugging your chin, ops core makes a gas mask extender that extends it to the point where you can wear it hugging your neck. Personally, I prefer it around my chin.

Well, I never really looked at it as wearing a helmet, but more sticking a gear-holder on my head. I’ve never “needed” the strap in the past (or so I thought) but I did feel pretty stoopid when I thought I lost $30K because I don’t like the chinstrap.

Reactions: BamaSE
Haha I can understand that. The ops core pads are from what I recall basically bicycle helmet foam and do a pretty good job of impact protection too. They just suck in terms of comfort

Dude you survived DHS and lived to tell about it. Swamp shwamp. Times like this is when you need that remote controlled robot.

• Haha
So... I went out last night in my Stealth XR battery-powered buggy with all the same kit that went muddin' in the bog Saturday night. Everything performed perfectly, zero issues. No cosmetic damage either (except to the ear-pro on my helmet that took a little scuff when they banged against the metal roll cage in the Ranger). I had removed everything from my rifle rail for a good cleaning and completely stripped the rifle. After about 2 hours of careful cleaning, inspection and reassembly I set out for a couple of hours. Even went back the the scene of the crime (where a donkey was on the loose, outside his wire). Then I rolled into a hay field and spotted a 'yote about 200-ish yards away. He either didn't see me or didn't care (the beauty of battery power). I whistled and he popped up, staring right at me. Put my Elcan dot via UTC right on him, center-mass, and let one loose. MISS!!!

WTH?

I didn't yip. It was a clean shot. But I did take a mag that had completely different ammo (originally zeroed on 75gr BTHP, switched to 55gr VMAX) AND I didn't have a chance to re-check zero. I just assumed everything would go back to zero once cleaned and assembled.
Just read this part - me and my buddy were looking at getting electric bikes to buzz thru trails.

It might be worth checking that the UTC retained collimation.

Just read this part - me and my buddy were looking at getting electric bikes to buzz thru trails.

I just checked about an hour ago on my range shooting at 12" steel at 100 yards. I switched back to my trusty 75gr BTHP ammo and the hits were consistently within 1 inch of the Elcan dot, practically bang-on. I burned through a full mag and every shot was perfect.

I either yipped and didn't know it (possible, but I'm usually pretty in-tune with what I did to cause a miss), or swapping to the 62gr VMAX ammo caused a radical shift. I didn't try it, because I only have about 400 rounds left, and Hornady doesn't make it anymore.

Reactions: BamaSE

Ya know, ive thought of the same thing. But good ones are expensive

It'll never get stuck lol.
Damn, thats pretty cool. I didn’t catch its range, but if i could charge it off grid, i would be pretty set with something like that.

thinking that bike, dual china skeets(gotta keep in chicom theme) and a norinco 5.45x39 for mobbing around the desert 🤣

Bruise on left side is healing-up nicely. Barely any discomfort to the touch now.

751D5771-EA36-43AE-8165-B4A6272DDE55.jpeg

Glad it all worked out for you.

You are a walking add for the NV/thermal industry that their gear works even after being submerged in a swamp!!