• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WSM's or SAUM's in short (18") barrel

Jackcrow73

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
NE North Dakota
Maybe I'm crazy...I am thinking about trying a 300 WSM or SAUM in an 18" barrel. Does anyone have any experience with a short mag in a shorter barrel? I realize that these cartridges weren't exactly designed for short barrels. What I'm looking at is running this on a short action with lighter bullets (maybe Lapua 155?). I would also imagine this would be very loud and have severe muzzle blast. Or would I just be better off sticking with a 6mm/6.5mm and just accept the velocity loss. My main goal here is to have a compact rifle with the least wind deflection in these high winds in ND.

Learn to shoot in the wind here in our state.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Lol...Maybe I will just rebarrel to 45-70!!! Lob it in!!

Yeah, I know the 7mm's have higher BC's. The reason I was thinking that a 7mm wouldn't work is because I wanted to stick with a short action and be able to load to fit in the magazine.

Seems that if an 18" .308 performs "well enough," then a 7mm-08 will do about the same, but perfrom better in the wind.
If a 7-08 will do "well enough" then a 7 RSAUM/WSM will probably do a little better with the additional powder.

I'd guess a 162AMAX would do an easy 2750fps with its .6 G1 BC.

Have fun with the muzzle blast!

In a 19" 260 I can get the 140gn HPBT to 2700 easily with a BC of .58 plus you can easily find them right now vs the 162Amax.

I cant comment of how a short 300SAUM will do but I am pushing the 185 Juggernauts to 2950 with ease in a 25" barrel

I just can't see the reasoning behind handicapping a WSM/SAUM type cart with a short tube. It ain't like you're bucking tons of brush out there in NoDak?

I'd say 7 SAUM, cut it to 24", and go from there.

Tanner

I realize that I will be handicapping the WSM/SAUM cartridge by going with a short barrel. I want this gun to be compact for use in the blind/easy transportation in the truck. This gun will be used for deer/coyote and fun at the range. I guess my question boils down to would it be better to run a non-magnum case (260/6.5x47/6.5CM/243 etc) and live with the low velocity or go WSM/SAUM and try to make up some of the velocity.

Reactions: el-rey
Hard to go wrong, unless you're shooting in a hurricane or beyond 700 yards then I think they're all about the same. Negligible difference in drift, drop or operating cost relative to initial investment on the hardware itself.

I think that people citing current component shortages have a fairly myopic view of the sport. If there's several years of shortages then shame on the manufacturers for not maximising their quarterly profit and meeting demand for a product... I think that if you're building rifles solely to beat the current shortages then you'll regret it when demand drops and production eventually exceeds demand.

Diversify and you won't have a problem.

Considering you've already chosen a short barrel configuration, the question becomes:

Will XXX magnum outperform yyy non magnum?

The answer is yes.

Obviously it'll have more blast. So what?

Now, if you ask what caliber will maximize any given magnum case, assuming a short barrel, the answer is:

The bigger diameter one.

A heavy .308" pill will make more efficient use of the wsm case than a .284" one.

An 18" 7wsm will perform just dandy, but the 300wsm will be a little more efficient. I also wouldn't assume you'll be relegated to "light" bullets, either.

Personally, I'd choose the 300wsm for your application, but the 7 would be great as well.

My thinking about using lighter bullets was mostly due to length of bullet and fitting in the magazine. Do you think this could be an issue? I should be able to load to a maximum of 3.00".

In general it is best to seat bullets so the bearing surface does not pass the neck/shoulder junction. Doing so encroaches on powder capacity, and opens you up to donuts and/or strange neck tension issues. Not always, but it happens, it did on my 284.

Careful brass prep will ensure it isn't a problem though.

A WSM case (particularly 7WSM) has abundant case capacity. A ~175gr bullet, loaded to ~2.950-3.000" will still leave all kinds of room for powder. Not a problem.

18" 300 wsm in a 1-8 twist barrel.....chambered for 190 smks or berger 185 juggernauts.....

Reactions: el-rey
So you are thinking that the 300 would be a better option over the 7mm? It seems like you have experience with these calibers...do you have any idea what kind of velocities I could expect with 162-175 grain bullets in 7mm and 155-208 grain bullets in the 300?

I favor short barrels and 30 cal bullets, short fat bullets fly better farther said mr Bryan Litz . I'd go fast twist barrel and try reloader 17 powder.start with 20" and see what ballistics look like you can alway cut another two inches.

fwiw I used to shoot a 21.5" 300wsm, it would run 208 Amax's at 2815 fps. Shouldn't have got rid of that rifle. I would recommend a 300wsm with either 185 or 190 berger's, or any of the 210 weight class bullets. I think you will be much better off with a high bc bullet like the 190-210 rather than 155's.