• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTF Avg. American has $75k in savings...

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    WTF. So on the way home I heard on the radio, they were announcing that the feds claimed, in some kind of conference regarding inflation and whatnot, that the average American or American family has $75,000 sitting in savings. I call bullshit on this and would love to know where they are getting their numbers. The avg American likely lives paycheck to paycheck. They were saying this as if this was some justification for pulling some of this economical/financial voodoo that they are doing. You know the same group that talks about transitory inflation. I feel like I do better than a lot of people and work/save my ass off and I don’t even quite have $75k sitting around in an account waiting to do whatever I want. On the other hand, if their statement is true then I’m behind the curve here. I mean seriously, wtf?

Reactions: woogie_man and tnc
    WTF. So on the way home I heard on the radio, they were announcing that the feds claimed, in some kind of conference regarding inflation and whatnot, that the average American or American family has $75,000 sitting in savings. I call bullshit on this and would love to know where they are getting their numbers. The avg American likely lives paycheck to paycheck. They were saying this as if this was some justification for pulling some of this economical/financial voodoo that they are doing. You know the same group that talks about transitory inflation. I feel like I do better than a lot of people and work/save my ass off and I don’t even quite have $75k sitting around in an account waiting to do whatever I want. On the other hand, if their statement is true then I’m behind the curve here. I mean seriously, wtf?

They added their income and savings into the mix. It bumped the numbers up nicely

You forget 401k can be considered savings since you can withdraw from it.
    Yeah, see I don’t consider 401k savings. And from what I heard, it sounded like they meant pure liquid cash sitting around in a literal savings account. And ivory gonna have shoot if we don’t get these fools out of office. I’m literally worth 38% of what I was this time last year.

Reactions: BLEE and 91Eunozs
    Average versus median :) corrected thanks to the catch of @buffalowinter .

Read an article about this. They also counted money within individual investment accounts in this as well.

But for real, look into the median and you will see how the ultra rich are skewing the avg.

Last edited:
    Average versus mean.

Read an article about this. They also counted money within individual investment accounts in this as well.

But for real, look into the mean and you will see how the ultra rich are skewing the avg.
    I thought statistically they were the same? I also think you’d have to be a fucking moron to put the Uber rich into any pool called avg. this is why most Americans hate these people. I’d say you need to separate them out, ofherwise, yeah the Uber rich gonna side the shit out of some results and the little guy getting screwed, again. At some point people can’t be squeezed anymore.

Get.

The.

Fuck.

Out.

$750 maybe.

What are they calculating this off of; the average amount of equity people have in their overpriced, overinflated McMansions? We'll see how much they actually have in savings here in the next 12-18 months as all of those McMansions they bought lose 50% of their 'value'.

I thought statistically they were the same? I also think you’d have to be a fucking moron to put the Uber rich into any pool called avg. this is why most Americans hate these people. I’d say you need to separate them out, ofherwise, yeah the Uber rich gonna side the shit out of some results and the little guy getting screwed, again. At some point people can’t be squeezed anymore.

Average is the sum divided by the number of objects.

4 people
    1st has 96 dollars in savings
    2nd has 2 dollars in savings
    3rd has 1 dollar in savings
    4th has 1 dollar in savings.
    Avg = 100/4 = 25.

Median is 50 percent is above and 50 percent are below. So in the above example, the median is basically 1 dollar. Which is a better reflection of reality? Both are valid measures, but avg can be very skewed by outliers which is why you want various deviation metrics alongside averages.

Eta - The median savings is said to be around 4-5k, which is, 50% of the US population has less than 4-5k and 50% have more than 4-5k total in savings.

Again, average tells very little w/o knowing the various deviations. Think about it in terms of velocity for your handloads. :)

Last edited:
    That's $70k more than I do.

Two years ago it would have been $74k more.

Yeah, rackin' it up baby. Another 63 years and I can retire.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Does that include a 401K?

The craziest financial decision I ever saw was a 62 year old engineer that I worked with. He had just bought a house on a 30 year note, and already had poor health. I guess the bank will get the house if he passed so they didn't care.

Does that include a 401K?

The craziest financial decision I ever saw was a 62 year old engineer that I worked with. He had just bought a house on a 30 year note, and already had poor health. I guess the bank will get the house if he passed so they didn't care.

The article I saw did not include 401k but did include individual investment accounts.

By the way, it gets much much worse when you start looking at the percentiles for savings. Once you get to around the 34th percentile range the savings are basically nil. Meaning, 34% of Americans have NO savings.

4 people
    Avg = 100/4 = 25.

Mean is 50 percent is above and 50 percent are below. So in the above example, the mean is basically 1 dollar. Which is a better reflection of reality? Both are valid measures, but avg can be very skewed by outliers which is why you want various deviation metrics alongside averages.

Eta - The mean savings is said to be around 4-5k, which is, 50% of the US population has less than 4-5k and 50% have more than 4-5k total in savings.

Again, average tells very little w/o knowing the various deviations. Think about it in terms of velocity for your handloads. :)
    You're confusing median and mean. Mean and average are the same thing. Median is the point where 50% is above and 50% below

median-
    denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.
    "the median duration of this treatment was four months"

mean or average-
    Average and mean are used interchangeably. In Statistics, instead of the term “average”, the term “mean” is used. Average can simply be defined as a quantity or a rate which usually fall under the centre of the data.

You're confusing median and mean. Mean and average are the same thing. Median is the point where 50% is above and 50% below

median-
    denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.
    "the median duration of this treatment was four months"

mean or average-
    Average and mean are used interchangeably. In Statistics, instead of the term “average”, the term “mean” is used. Average can simply be defined as a quantity or a rate which usually fall under the centre of the data.

Good catch, sorry, yes..median...been a long fkn day. the rest of the points stand as shown.

Northwestern Mutual’s 2022 Planning & Progress Study revealed that the average amount of personal savings (not including investments) was $62,086 in 2022 (down from $73,100 in 2021).

And according to data from the 2019 Survey of Consumer Finances by the US Federal Reserve, the most recent year for which they polled participants, Americans have a weighted average savings account balance of $41,600 which includes checking, savings, money market and prepaid debit cards, while the median was only $5,300.

So yeah, there's certainly a sharp difference between mean and median with this statistic.

I don't buy it as I just saw than more than 3/4 of Americans have less than 10k in savings/checking. If savings includes 401k in that assessment above then sure it makes sense but liquid in bank accounts, lol nope

We're all in good company....

Keep in mind that most of that 64% was already close to check to check.

Americans have always been piss poor savers. Look up the stats on employee participation is sponsored 401K plans. The company match is free money and exceeds the return from any stock index.

Reactions: gigamortis

4 people
    Avg = 100/4 = 25.

Median is 50 percent is above and 50 percent are below. So in the above example, the median is basically 1 dollar. Which is a better reflection of reality? Both are valid measures, but avg can be very skewed by outliers which is why you want various deviation metrics alongside averages.

Eta - The median savings is said to be around 4-5k, which is, 50% of the US population has less than 4-5k and 50% have more than 4-5k total in savings.

Whoops. My bad, I misread median for mean!

Yea, 75K liquid in a savings account is a good thing, but how much do you have stashed away? I did a google search, How much do the average retires have invested, the numbers are crazy .............here is one from the montley fool.........

Mom and I worked a long time, and invested a lot of money, these numbers make me feel real good, despite the current market..........

Reactions: Mwalex
    By the way, it gets much much worse when you start looking at the percentiles for savings. Once you get to around the 34th percentile range the savings are basically nil. Meaning, 34% of Americans have NO savings.
    Exactly!

Only two people who demand 10% before of your gross.

The church and biden
    The church doesn’t require it. I think Old Testament said 10% but that all went out the window when Jesus came. We are not held to the old law. With that said, it is suggested as a guide but is by no means required. Taxes however, yeah, totally different story. And I’d be jumping for joy if they only took 10% from me. The current rate of everything coming out of my check is like 47%!!! This does include some 401k, local taxes, social security and all that mess. So 10% goes straight to retirement. So it’s really 37% but you get what I’m saying, still too damn much.

the "average" american......

which "average" did they use?

are they taking the mean?.....in which case, would the presence of billionaires like Musk and Bezos not artificially inflate that average?

if you take 9 people who all have $2,500 in savings.....and you have one person who has a $1,000,000......your "average" person in that group will have $102,250
    Exactly!

Yea, 75K liquid in a savings account is a good thing, but how much do you have stashed away? I did a google search, How much do the average retires have invested, the numbers are crazy .............here is one from the montley fool.........

Mom and I worked a long time, and invested a lot of money, these numbers make me feel real good, despite the current market..........
    Had a pretty good sum in the market till the current regime got in power. Now I’m literally worth 38% of what I was a year ago. All retirement funds are down, drastically. And I got around $72,000 in liquid cash, spread in several different accounts if one must know, but I’m not sure I’d consider me the average saver. I’m super frugal and actually feel bad even when buying stuff I want.

Keep in mind that most of that 64% was already close to check to check.

Americans have always been piss poor savers. Look up the stats on employee participation is sponsored 401K plans. The company match is free money and exceeds the return from any stock index.
    Its much easier to save when the gov and its goons don’t have their hands in your pocket and a gun to your head.

I pay more in income tax, social security, medicare, and property tax than I used to gross in my early 20s. That doesn’t include sales tax, phone tax, fuel tax, and every other tax. If I had half that money back I would be set although the politicians wouldn’t have been able to pay off their corporate donors, set up their citizen army with nice pensions for their blind loyalty, and create a permanent welfare class to degrade society evermore.

Its much easier to save when the gov and its goons don’t have their hands in your pocket and a gun to your head.

I pay more in income tax, social security, medicare, and property tax than I used to gross in my early 20s. That doesn’t include sales tax, phone tax, fuel tax, and every other tax. If I had half that money back I would be set although the politicians wouldn’t have been able to pay off their corporate donors, set up their citizen army with nice pensions for their blind loyalty, and create a permanent welfare class to degrade society evermore.
    Exactly. We are all taxed to death. I read somewhere the other day that in two income families, generally speaking whoever was making the less of the two was pretty much working, just to pay taxes. Yes, they were saying by the time you added up all their taxes that one of the families entire income went straight to the man in some way. That’s insane but I could see it. You got income tax, city and local taxes, occupational tax in some places, social security, Medicare crap, property tax, sales tax, fuel tax, phone and internet fees and taxes and on and on and on. I could totally see it adding up to someone’s yearly income. Fucking crazy! Yet, apparently the gov wants more, hence the reason they keep pointing out that Americans have $11 trillion in savings in some way.

seeing as how I RTFA

"Americans have a weighted average savings account balance of $41,600 which includes checking, savings, money market and prepaid debit cards, while the median was only $5,300. "

Income distribution roughly looks like this (all the peeps on the right hand "tail" pull up the average, which is why you see the HUGE difference between mean and median).
    Yes this is income (by thousands) and not savings, but they probably follow the same curve. (This data is totally pulled outta my ass and is just to show something other than a "normal" or gaussian distribution.)

1655434318746.png

How to lie with statistics!

I wish I made 75k total the last 3 years combined

Here are the 97 taxes in the US tax code:

1. Air Transportation Taxes
    2. Biodiesel Fuel Taxes
    3. Building Permit Taxes
    4. Business Registration Fees
    5. Capital Gains Taxes
    6. Cigarette Taxes
    7. Court Fines
    8. Disposal Fees
    9. Dog License Taxes
    10. Drivers License Fees
    11. Employer Health Insurance Mandate Tax
    12. Employer Medicare Taxes
    13. Employer Social Security Taxes
    14. Environmental Fees
    15. Estate Taxes
    16. Excise Taxes On Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans
    17. Federal Corporate Taxes
    18. Federal Income Taxes
    19. Federal Unemployment Taxes
    20. Fishing License Taxes
    21. Flush Taxes
    22. Food And Beverage License Fees
    23. Franchise Business Taxes
    24. Garbage Taxes
    25. Gasoline Taxes
    26. Gift Taxes
    27. Gun Ownership Permits
    28. Hazardous Material Disposal Fees
    29. Highway Access Fees
    30. Hotel Taxes (these are becoming quite large in some areas)
    31. Hunting License Taxes
    32. Import Taxes
    33. Individual Health Insurance Mandate Taxes
    34. Inheritance Taxes
    35. Insect Control Hazardous Materials Licenses
    36. Inspection Fees
    37. Insurance Premium Taxes
    38. Interstate User Diesel Fuel Taxes
    39. Inventory Taxes
    40. IRA Early Withdrawal Taxes
    41. IRS Interest Charges
    42. IRS Penalties
    43. Library Taxes
    44. License Plate Fees
    45. Liquor Taxes
    46. Local Corporate Taxes
    47. Local Income Taxes
    48. Local School Taxes
    49. Local Unemployment Taxes
    50. Luxury Taxes
    51. Marriage License Taxes
    52. Medicare Taxes
    53. Medicare Tax Surcharge On High Earning Americans Under Obamacare
    54. Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax
    55. Obamacare Surtax On Investment Income
    56. Parking Meters
    57. Passport Fees
    58. Professional Licenses And Fees (another form of taxation)
    59. Property Taxes
    60. Real Estate Taxes
    61. Recreational Vehicle Taxes
    62. Registration Fees For New Businesses
    63. Toll Booth Taxes
    64. Sales Taxes
    65. Self-Employment Taxes
    66. Sewer & Water Taxes
    67. School Taxes
    68. Septic Permit Taxes
    69. Service Charge Taxes
    70. Social Security Taxes
    71. Special Assessments For Road Repairs Or Construction
    72. Sports Stadium Taxes
    73. State Corporate Taxes
    74. State Income Taxes
    75. State Park Entrance Fees
    76. State Unemployment Taxes (SUTA)
    77. Tanning Taxes
    78. Telephone 911 Service Taxes
    79. Telephone Federal Excise Taxes
    80. Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Taxes
    81. Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Taxes
    82. Telephone State And Local Taxes
    83. Telephone Universal Access Taxes
    84. The Alternative Minimum Tax
    85. Tire Recycling Fees
    86. Tire Taxes
    87. Tolls
    88. Traffic Fines
    89. Use Taxes
    90. Utility Taxes
    91. Vehicle Registration Taxes
    92. Waste Management Taxes
    93. Water Rights Fees
    94. Watercraft Registration & Licensing Fees
    95. Well Permit Fees
    96. Workers Compensation Taxes
    97. Zoning Permit Fees

• Sad
    Reactions: gigamortis

Sure but too many people convince themselves that they cannot afford to save money. We do pay a lot in taxes but that is an excuse to not save. A 401K is also a great tax break but most people never consider that.

All my savings is in steel, aluminum, brass, lead, and even a little plastic.

I'll work till I die. Every old guy I see dead is sitting around without purpose. Give me a pile of money and I'll still need to be badgered out of the house by something.

Sure but too many people convince themselves that they cannot afford to save money. We do pay a lot in taxes but that is an excuse to not save. A 401K is also a great tax break but most people never consider that.

I had one employer with a great 401k. They matched 50% of your contribution up to 15% of your gross. 7.5% extra gross wage for free.

Next one I didn't bother, just started investing myself. They said they matched 5%. Turns out that was 5% of the first 1% of your contribution, so basically nothing.

But I make more money in the trades than everyone I know with a college degree, and I had about 50k less debt to start my life.

Here are the 97 taxes in the US tax code:

1. Air Transportation Taxes
    2. Biodiesel Fuel Taxes
    3. Building Permit Taxes
    4. Business Registration Fees
    5. Capital Gains Taxes
    6. Cigarette Taxes
    7. Court Fines
    8. Disposal Fees
    9. Dog License Taxes
    10. Drivers License Fees
    11. Employer Health Insurance Mandate Tax
    12. Employer Medicare Taxes
    13. Employer Social Security Taxes
    14. Environmental Fees
    15. Estate Taxes
    16. Excise Taxes On Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans
    17. Federal Corporate Taxes
    18. Federal Income Taxes
    19. Federal Unemployment Taxes
    20. Fishing License Taxes
    21. Flush Taxes
    22. Food And Beverage License Fees
    23. Franchise Business Taxes
    24. Garbage Taxes
    25. Gasoline Taxes
    26. Gift Taxes
    27. Gun Ownership Permits
    28. Hazardous Material Disposal Fees
    29. Highway Access Fees
    30. Hotel Taxes (these are becoming quite large in some areas)
    31. Hunting License Taxes
    32. Import Taxes
    33. Individual Health Insurance Mandate Taxes
    34. Inheritance Taxes
    35. Insect Control Hazardous Materials Licenses
    36. Inspection Fees
    37. Insurance Premium Taxes
    38. Interstate User Diesel Fuel Taxes
    39. Inventory Taxes
    40. IRA Early Withdrawal Taxes
    41. IRS Interest Charges
    42. IRS Penalties
    43. Library Taxes
    44. License Plate Fees
    45. Liquor Taxes
    46. Local Corporate Taxes
    47. Local Income Taxes
    48. Local School Taxes
    49. Local Unemployment Taxes
    50. Luxury Taxes
    51. Marriage License Taxes
    52. Medicare Taxes
    53. Medicare Tax Surcharge On High Earning Americans Under Obamacare
    54. Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax
    55. Obamacare Surtax On Investment Income
    56. Parking Meters
    57. Passport Fees
    58. Professional Licenses And Fees (another form of taxation)
    59. Property Taxes
    60. Real Estate Taxes
    61. Recreational Vehicle Taxes
    62. Registration Fees For New Businesses
    63. Toll Booth Taxes
    64. Sales Taxes
    65. Self-Employment Taxes
    66. Sewer & Water Taxes
    67. School Taxes
    68. Septic Permit Taxes
    69. Service Charge Taxes
    70. Social Security Taxes
    71. Special Assessments For Road Repairs Or Construction
    72. Sports Stadium Taxes
    73. State Corporate Taxes
    74. State Income Taxes
    75. State Park Entrance Fees
    76. State Unemployment Taxes (SUTA)
    77. Tanning Taxes
    78. Telephone 911 Service Taxes
    79. Telephone Federal Excise Taxes
    80. Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Taxes
    81. Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Taxes
    82. Telephone State And Local Taxes
    83. Telephone Universal Access Taxes
    84. The Alternative Minimum Tax
    85. Tire Recycling Fees
    86. Tire Taxes
    87. Tolls
    88. Traffic Fines
    89. Use Taxes
    90. Utility Taxes
    91. Vehicle Registration Taxes
    92. Waste Management Taxes
    93. Water Rights Fees
    94. Watercraft Registration & Licensing Fees
    95. Well Permit Fees
    96. Workers Compensation Taxes
    97. Zoning Permit Fees
    Do you notice there is no longer a “tea tax”? Maybe the early Americans were onto something 🤔

the market lost $3 trillion recently...
    so they are probably giving total invested in the market, divided by number of families...
    this would not represent the "avg american"...

Trust your lying eyes not their lying statistics. Many of us have acquaintances from various levels of the financial ladder. Being that is generally the case, you will have some sense of who and how many have what. There will always be outliers. There are those that have great wealth and appear to have little. There are those that appear to have everything but their everything is actually a mound of debt.

$75,000. in savings is utter BS. The only number that counts is your/their balance sheet. That number only counts if it is after all taxes, liquidation costs, fees, penalties, market variations, projected market variations, etc., etc. Right now, I believe I'm going to be worth less tomorrow than I am today and I believe that will continue for a relatively short period of time.

The people that derived the number in the title of this post have no interest in conveying the truth to us. There only intent is to present a world that favors their image. You know it, I know it and they know it.

Trust your gut and trust your dog.