• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WTF some help please....

avidflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
St Louis
Got my new 6.5 Lapua back from Beanland, mounted the scope and headed to the range. Got to the range, went to boresight the rifle and WTF…..If I align the bore on the target the scope is almost in the dirt…..makes no sense…(at least to me) The rail was put on at Stiller, but the high end is in back and slope towards the front…(20 MOA) I’m using a new Vortex Razor (which sucks for eye relief) I moved the scope all around with nothing working….an ideas…The sight picture from the rifle bore and what you see through scope aren’t even close, and I’m not talking about the close hairs…..Scope picture is in the grass and bore picture is on the target.
Lapua.JPG

Re: WTF some help please....

20 MOA rail should be taller at rear of action, thinner at front of action.

What distance are you boresighting at?

It looks like your rings are not the same height but its probably the way the picture is. good luck figuring that one out.

What distance is target you are using to boresight?

You said you moved scope all around? What did you move?

When you move elevation and windage knobs you can see reticle move?

I would expect that the zero stop isn't coming into play but it might be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwhardee13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like your rings are not the same height but its probably the way the picture is. good luck figuring that one out. </div></div>

+1

It looks here like your rings aren't the same height...just double check there for a start.

Have you tried to spin the scope in to get a mechanical zero? That's the next thing I would work on.

If you're still off after that, I'd assume you're not looking at a vertical discrepancy, but a horizontal one. Since it just came from Beanland, there's a good chance the barrel is concentric to the action centerline, so I'd check for horizontal alignment of the base to action and barrel.

There's a solution to your problem...just eliminate one variable at a time.

I agree with the rings looking like they are vastly different heights. Or is it just the pic that makes them look that way? The rear rings look wayyyyy higher than the front rings which would contribute to your issue of the scope being pointed way lower than the line of the bore. Add that to the 20 MOA scope base and you would be looking at the dirt/grass.

You need lower rings anyway so change em and solve two problems at once.

Out of curiosity, why is your bipodon sandbags?

The rings have to be different heights. I don't see how the picture could look that off. I hope it didn't bend the tube any if thats what it is.

Nice rifle...

Your scope is FFP, I have noticed that the First focal plane scopes that I have allow you to see the tip of the barrel. There are a few posts on here where people will mount their brand F1 and at low power they notice a peculiar half round image in the bottom of the scopes field of view. My buddy noticed this and he sent his scope in for warranty repair. Needless to say when it came back the new scope had the same exact "problem". His barrel looked like a 9mm bullet was inside the scope tube.

Can you align the crosshairs on the boresight target out past 50 yards??

sandbags because I got tired of bending over and leaning right and left going WTF. Has to be the rings....I have several FFP scopes and have never seen this before. Bent tube or bad rings.

Those are our rings, or rings we made for vortex and we only make them in one size at the height you have (35mm 1.26" tall). Give us a shout tomorrow if you would like us to check out your rings for you or if you have any questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it all fugured out....thanks guys </div></div>

And?