• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes WTK slight dent in my scope. What are the potenti

repins05

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Hillsboro, OR
I was in a hurry and made a very stupid mistake, my torque wrench was set to high and I put a slight dent in my scope from the ring cap. Potential consequences? or will it be primarily cosmetic?

Re: WTK slight dent in my scope. What are the pot

You can not visible see the dent. Running my finger over the top of it I can slightly feel the indent. It would be better described as a crease from the edge of the ring top.

If you are talking about a slight indentation, more or less a pronounced ring mark, you are fine. I did the same thing to one of my scopes before I started using torque wrenches. As long as you didn't dent the shit out of it, all is well.

It dpends on many factors, what type of scope, front part of the tube next to objective, side paralax? If the scope has a thin wall on the front tube and it has a turret parallax control, you could put the sliding cell in a bind.
John III

The scope is a swarovski z6 30mm tube. It is about 7/16 back from the turrets @ the eyepiece side. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are talking about a slight indentation, more or less a pronounced ring mark, you are fine. I did the same thing to one of my scopes before I started using torque wrenches. As long as you didn't dent the shit out of it, all is well. </div></div>

It is a slight indentation.......ring mark. But it definitely "pushed it in".

I bought a Nikon Buckmark 4.5-15 side focus for a Savage 17hmr. It has a pretty significant dent from the rear ring.

While I am not in the habit of cranking the elevation much on this application, the scope performs 100% as far as holding zero. For what that is worth.