• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos WWII Sniper Patch

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
After many years of looking, I managed to find an authentic WWII German Sniper Patch. You may recognize this as Lowlight's Avatar image. These are among the rarest of all insignia from WWII and were awarded but generally never worn on uniforms due to the fact that anyone captured wearing one of these on the Eastern Front (where most all were awarded) was immediately executed by the Soviets. They were awarded for 20, 40, and 60 confirmed enemy kills with the only difference between them being a silver border on the 40 kill patch and a gold border on the 60 kill patch. This one is the basic grade patch for 20 kills but is in excellent condition and came to me from Austria where many German snipers were recruited from the ranks of the hunt and game clubs there and in Bavaria as well. As a collector of WWII militaria, I just thought I would share a pic of it with you military history buffs out there. (Previously posted in Bear Pit but since it is an image moved it to here). regards.

Re: WWII Sniper Patch

Yep, in amazing condition. Was never worn is why and kept well. I did the black light on it and everything along with a certificate of authenticity since it looked so good. regards.

This is not going to make me popular, but you have a fake.

1. Background material is not correct. Originals were much rougher and cruder felt weave.

2. The leaves are a single coloration, originals have lighter thread on the tip and edges.

3. Border is not correct.

4. White lines on Eagle are not correct. For example, the very top white line should not sweep up at end of beak but rather should extend from the extreme left edge of head to just past the eye, like an eyebrow. Eye should look right.

5. The acorn is incorrect in coloration and placement.

6. Space around eagle is not correct.

Sorry to disappoint. You experience is not uncommon and there is quite a market for copies.

Post a back shot and I'll point a few things out as well.

I'll post a real one for you.

RT

Whilst this is a LOT better than most of the repros you see in various places, RollingThunder could have a point.

I think the areas that I would look at would be the acorn detail, the shape of the eye and position of the "eyeball"and the way the line above the eye seems to go through or arch over the eye.

This may be helpful (from sniperwwii.com):

"The war department officially established design specifications. Size is 70mm x 53mm. The badge is comprised of an eagle’s head in black with white feathers. The background is grey with dark cinnabar green oak leaves trimmed with a lighter green but not 100% . The acorn nut is the same lighter green shade as the oak leaf trim. The outer ring is the same lighter green with a somewhat oval eye and beak in ochre (orange-yellow). Refer to the image identified as Actual Badge...

All authentic badges should have four open lines from the neck forward to the beak side. The fourth embroider line must extend across the top of the eye. German production of all of their awards was centered upon detail and correctness of design. The fourth embroidery line should not extend under or through the eye. The eye of the bird was never round and should be oval in design. The beak is curved downward at the tip and may have a very minor bend backwards. The oak leaves are not 100% trimmed in the lighter shade of careen green. The nut on the acorn should be the same shade as the oak leaf trim. "

These repros look quite good (although a little different in colour to the badge you have posted): http://www.sniperwwii.com/sniper-badges.php

That being said availability of materials and production standards in German were notoriuosly fickle in the later stages of the war......

A tough call...I hope it IS genuine!

The patch that RollingThunder51 shows was worn and removed from a uniform. Mine was not. I got it from a well respected dealer in WWII militaria in the UK who obtained it from Austria and will post the certificate of authenticity as well which he is sending me. I knew this would be questioned since it is in such good condition. I will post another 60 confirmed kill patch that shows the border as well, gold in that case. It comes from the Caracci Militaria website shown below as well as the site from which mine came from here. The size is somewhat distorted in my initial pic and is actually higher and somewhat narrower than shown. Also, don't go by the colors since they differ depending on the light. I will try to post some better ones as well from a good camera. I do know there are reproductions out there and investigated this very extensively prior to finding this one.

Caracci Militaria

WWII Medals & Badges

As said, I really hope it is genuine (for £350 / $575 it should be!!)...he certainly has some interesting items on his site!

Your right, I should leave this up to the real experts. I posted the contact name for one of the best on the photo post you placed of the 60. Best of luck.