• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing wyoming antelope area 23?

SilencercoJames

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 30, 2008
kearns, ut, 84118
Well I just bought a tag there and was wondering if anyone else hunted there and had any tips. I live in Utah and the only info I had for buying a tag is from a friend of a friend. So 23 it is.
Any help is appreciated.

Re: wyoming antelope area 23?

Get some good USGS maps of the area. This is mostly private land but the NW part of area 23 does have a lot of public land (around dead horse creek/road). Access Dead horse road on exit 91 off I-90.

It's rougher then a cob if I remember right.

If you can get a chip for your GPS that shows public/private land. They're about $100 but well worth it.

There is also some Walk In Areas in that area so I'd get one of those Walk In Area Booklets from the fish and game.

Get the BLM map for Johnson and Cambell Counties, find area 23 on those maps, find out where you want to hunt then go to the USGS Map Store (on the internet) and get the 1:24000 maps that cover that area.

It would really help if you come out early and scope out the place so you don't have to do the scouting on opening day.

I figured with how many left over tags there were that it would be a lot of private land. Are there any prairie dogs out there that would make a scouting trip fun?

I hadn't been out there to see, but I was looking on the Walk In Hunt Booklet. In Johnson county there is a small section (#10) that says Predator and prarie dog hunting allowed. The section also says Accss to adjacent public lands.

Walk in area 12 also list Prarie dog hunting and is next to government land. It's accessed by Exit 88 on I-90.

Both are just outside your Antelope are 23, but close enough that it should make it worth while.

Do a little scouting and see if a rancher will let you pay a trespass fee. Walk and talk usually works well for me.

why would you want to shoot one of those nasty things anyway?lol i live in gillette if i can help give me a pm.there is some public land in the southern end west of wright that i have shot several goats on.seems best if your not there on opening day also as thats when everyone is out there.i also know a few ranchers in the are that could help out maybe.dont worry its not hard to get a goat in this area it just depends when you can be here.

Check with Game and Fish office in Sheridan. They have a list of land owners who want hunters. Also check with the chamber of commerce in Gillette. Some of them offer free access. Also donate a few bucks to the walkin access fund, it helps to open up more private ground to hunting. If you dont get squared away on your hunt, pm me and I can offer a few suggestions on where to go for antelope and prairie dogs in 23.