• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming Antelope Unit 48

Pat Thomas

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Burnet,Texas
My son and I were fortunate enough to draw Unit 48 type 1 antelope tags in Wyoming. This will be his first out of state hunting trip. Has anyone here hunted that unit? Im planning a scouting trip in mid August. From the maps that I have it looks like the majority if public land is in the Northern part of the unit. Any help will be appreciated. We have also put in for the HMAs in the unit.

Patrick

Re: Wyoming Antelope Unit 48

The northern part is a mix from flat open country to extremely rugged, rocky country. There is plenty of hills and draws to use for cover. It will hold plenty of quality antelope for sure! I don't know what it has gotten for moisture this year down there, but if it's like everywhere else, it has gotten a bunch. Keep an eye open for coyotes as well. There are a bunch down there.

Thank you Cinch! That is exactly what I was hoping for. I will have to get us both small game liscences as well.

Patrick

You may already know, but coyotes are a predator here and need no license. Small game license is only good for cottontail rabbeit and squirrels. So unless you're gonna hunt rabbits, I wouldn't think you'd need one. Look up on the WY G&F website and it will tell you a list of all the predators that you can shoot with no license.

Bring a quality spotting scope and tripod. Will save you lots of hiking around.

Some great looking bucks this year for sure, we have had lots of good moisture !

Watch out for the rattlers too....

ditto on the rattlers.there is quit a few out and about south of gillette.my smiths dog got bit by 1 not long ago.dog turned out ok snake turned out not so ok.

Good for both the dog and the snake. I appreciate all the advice. We are planning on going the first week in October. My son is pumped. Can't wait.

I have tags for unit 45 and they are everywhere up there. Sould take about an hour to fill 4 tags at least in my unit. If your 48 unit is all private start knocking on doors right now.

48 has a lot of public land in the northern part of the unit. I have gotten permission of two ranches in the south. We have also drawn two of the HMAs and will know on the 19 Aug about another. Shot, have you checked into HMAs in Unit 45?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corsair2pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">48 has a lot of public land in the northern part of the unit. I have gotten permission of two ranches in the south. We have also drawn two of the HMAs and will know on the 19 Aug about another. Shot, have you checked into HMAs in Unit 45? </div></div>

No I haven't, we hunt only on private so I haven't had the need to. As for your hunt, I would concentrate on the private first as the public will be a zoo!

Pic of last yr. Shot at the super far range of 118 yds. But being such a close shot it was dead and skinned in less than 5 mins of the shot so that was good.

24fcxhf.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SaltyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, It looks so happy to be harvested. haha </div></div>

She was more than happy to be turned into yummy smoked jerky sticks. Haha