• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

six9

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
I saw on the SA website that the XDm 45 is coming. Any thoughts on this new version? I've been thinking this will be a good weapon to keep in my truck.

Most of my current handguns are 45 (5) are 45, so I do like the round.

Re: XDm 45

I havent seen anything on it what will the mag capacity be? 14-15? I have been looking real hard at the FNP 45 tactical. FOr the record I have a XDM 9 and like it a lot.

I received my June 2010 of American Rifleman yesterday in the mail and it has a lengthy article on the XD(m) 3.8 and the XD(m) .45acp. Kinda disappointing, but to each their own.

Here are the specs:

13+1 capacity (same as the Std XD-45)
4.5" Match barrel
6lb 2oz Trigger Pull
OAL: 7 3/4"
Width: 1 1/4"
Height: 5 5/8"
Weight (unloaded): 34oz
Comes with 3, 13rnd mags, mag loader, mag pouch, holster, XD(m) gear case
Suggested retail: $707

25yd Accuracy was what I would call "Average" for a pistol of this kind and averaged 2.16" with a variety of different defensive loads from 185gr to 230gr with Hornady TAP performing best.

So what does it do that the standard XD-45 doesn't? I'm a little disappointed as well if it isn't much of an improvement.

As I see it, the XD(m) model just offers some additional adjustability and cosmetic features over the standard XD in terms of the exchangeable backstraps on the grip...different grip texture...different slide serrations...etc. The XD(m) pistols also feature a slightly different trigger that is basically just a short-rest trigger. It isn't all that different from the stock XD-45 trigger, but it is a slight improvement (although nothing that a little work and some time on the stock XD-45 wouldn't fix). I don't see much of any major improvements unless you just prefer the "feel" of the XM(m) over the standard XD-45.

To me...it is just the same old whore in a different dress. I think that a lot of people are going to be put off by the fact that it doesn't offer any additional mag capacity over the standard XD-45. I am certainly not making any plans to part with my standard XD-45 or my Canyon Creek XD-45 Tactical that Rich worked his magic on for me!!

I've put about 250 rounds through my XDM 45. 100% reliable but not as accurate as I was hoping. Recoil was more pronounced than my xd45 tactical. My main complaint is with the trigger.......it needs IMPROVEMENT! But it is what it is...its not a fine tuned target gun, its an in the middle gun. Thanks

Send it to springer precision for some of the greatest trigger work that can be done on an XD (all new parts) or just buy the parts from him and fit it yourself.

I cant stand factory XD triggers after being spoiled by a Springer Trigger Job.

Another vote for the springer trigger job. I it done on my XDm 9mm and its pretty sweet.

I've had my XDm 45 for a week now, but haven't gotten to shoot it much due to time constraints, but overall I like it so far. Since I generally shoot only 1911s and Glocks, that's what I'm comparing it against.

Pros
- For me it is the best feeling grip on a double-stack 45 (I prefer the small insert even though I wear size 11 gloves).
- Overall balance of the pistol is good.
- The standard sights are better than the standard sights on Glocks (wish they had a factory tritium option though).
- Accurate for a plastic gun, though no match for a tuned 1911.
- Despite the recoil (more on that in a minute), the pistol tracks straight in the hand and drops right back on target.
- The grip texture is better than most poly guns.
- Like I said, I haven't gotten to shoot it a lot, but I have tried several types of 230gr ammo; including American Eagle FMJ, old PMC FMJ, HST +P, Gold Dot, Fed Tactical Bonded +P and Ranger T. All worked fine, with Ranger T providing best accuracy at 15yds.

Cons
- The trigger pull itself is pretty good, but the reset is still too long.
- There's quite a bit of muzzle flip due to a slightly higher bore axis than something like a Glock but not as much weight as a steel 1911. However, the gun does track straight up and down (with proper grip of course.) so it is largely irrelevant unless you're shooting high level competition.
- The barrel heats up fast, more so than many other 45s I shoot, but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy.
- I wish the slide stop lever was about 10mm farther forward because I shoot with straight thumbs, but I've never over-rode it yet.