• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes XRS...recommend?

wvlapua

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Would you guys with an xrs recommend them? I've been looking at them for awhile now for my 7rsaum. There aren't many reviews or info (that I could find) out there yet. I understand the zero stop is a pita and you loose clarity and .01 mil lines at above 25x. I like the reticle, power range and don't need illumination. I was set on an xrs, but am now wondering if I should just skip the xrs and splurge on a steiner 5-25 msr when they update to a thinner cross section.

If you have the spare cash to upgrade to a Steiner, go for it. I still believe the ERS and XRS are some of the best bang for your buck scopes out there.

I just got the ERS and absolutely love it and bought it for the same reasons you mentioned. The reticle was a deal closer for me and is very easy to use.

I actually like the msr a little more than the g2, although I haven't used either. The only reason I started looking at steiner, was hearing talk about a thinner cross section..I prefer thinner for my style shooting and the rifle it will top. Which originally brought me to the g2. I may just put my SS 5-20 on it for a while to see what steiner comes up with.

I shot mine yesterday out to 1200 yards with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Scope was very clear. Used hold overs out to 942 yards with ease. 20 power is the max for ranging if you use the .1 mil lines at the top or sides of the reticle....you might squeeze out 22-24 if you are ranging something really small. Would not hesitate to get another one.

I like it, it is a tank, heavy, big knobs, very good feel to them, sturdy. Power range is absolutely fantastic. The bright and vibrant sight picture I see for most of the power range does drop off a bit after 25, but the resolution is still there for me all the way to 30 and that makes any "dulling" of the sight picture a moot point to me.

Recommend it, yes, mine has the h59 reticle, no tunneling/fishbowling at any power.

Would I want an alternative? If I did, it would be the March for weight and size, otherwise, no, not the Steiner, not the Razor, I'm good with the XRS.

I have read the glass is equal or better than nxs and razor glass... I'm ok with that. Can't really go wrong with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. But damn that steiner would be nice with the thinner msr. Decisions..decisions.

Love my XRS, just had a chance to get it out yesterday in the 200-1180 yard range. However I do think it loses out to the NXS at the 30x range from what I can remember. Unfortunately I traded my 8-32nxs (to a 5.5-22) before I acquired the XRS, but I remember things being a bit clearer on the NF. Really enjoy the G2 reticle, enough info but not cluttered.

You covered the flaws in OP. The .1 lines are really nice when you can use them but at 30x you have 6mils on any side you can still use the cuts that are .25 and .5 above and below to use in place of the mil lines. I think its is nice and clear I don't find the zero stop to be a pita and didn't have issues setting it at all. I have shot mine at 880 yards and using 30 power I had no loss in clarity short of mirage from the hot humid day. It is great for the cost and I don't know how many people really need the difference or notice it.

There are a lot of great scopes out there now days and the Bushnell XRS is one of them. We got a lot of them in stock the other day so if we can be of help let us know.

I love it when we get more in stock.

The zero stop on the xrs isn't a pain at all. Very simple to set, the instructions are clear, and includes the nessecary Allen wrench. It's also a very solid zero stop and holds the zero very well. When you zoom in near the max, you do lose the ability to range targets with the .1 mil marks and you begin to lose some of the elevation holdovers but I have mainly been using the higher magnification for target identification and tend to shoot on 15-20ish.
The glass seems very clear even at max magnification. The knobs are great and feel sturdy. The locking turrets are effective and easy to use.
I would definitely recommend this scope. I have had mine for about 6 weeks and have shot out to 1000 yards with my 6.5 creedmoor

My XRS should be here next week. Can't wait to try it out. If its not up to par, a steiner msr will be on order.