• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

yeh old wise ones.

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
In the last couple of months I have fell hard for the 22CM. I would like to build one, But as it's still a semi wild cat I know that I will have to reload for the most part and that I don't have any reloading equipment.

So, do I start the process of ordering the action and barrel hoping that by the time I get the rifle assembled ( a year from now) I could have ammo or just hold out till this returns to normalcy (when ever that it) before I build. I also don't want a rifle just collecting dust in my safe and no ammo to shoot, I would never hear the end of it from my wife.

I'm not desperate to pay "Covid" pricing just to get the gear I need. I want MSRP or below for my gear and for that I may need to wait a bit.

Thanks for any advise!

Last edited:
e715d64d522198880d5fb8332052c113.jpeg

Reactions: CarbonMTN
Does anyone even make factory 22CM ammo? Ammunition manufacturers (Vista Outdoors, Hornady, etc.) last I checked, have a 1-3 years backlog on orders of common calibers. You're better off buying reloading equipment and even if you get into handloading, who knows when components availability will return to "normal."

Buy a barrel for whatever ammo you can get your hands on

Sadly, I fear we're in the new "normal". Waiting for things to return to the old normal may take a lifetime. Just my opinion, I'm wrong a lot.

To clarify the question that I'm stumped on. Start the rifle buying/building process while I try to find the gear for reloading or just wait a bit till stuff like powders and primers come back and people aren't running to gun broker to sell it for a profit.

There is no crystal ball to this end but my rifle would take a year+ to complete and at that point I would like to find powder/primers/brass so I COULD reload and shoot instead of the rifle sitting in my safe because its shoot nothing but mythical dust bunnies.

To clarify the question that I'm stumped on. Start the rifle buying/building process while I try to find the gear for reloading or just wait a bit till stuff like powders and primers come back and people aren't running to gun broker to sell it for a profit.

There is no crystal ball to this end but my rifle would take a year+ to complete and at that point I would like to find powder/primers/brass so I COULD reload and shoot instead of the rifle sitting in my safe because its shoot nothing but mythical dust bunnies.
In your situation I would probably go with order action since it requires an FFL transfer and who knows what the politics will bring. Might end up with massive taxation on even bolt action firearms. Wait on the barrel (maybe you'll lose interest in the idea of 22CM). Source reloading equipment and components that are compatible with 22 CM. For example, get on a backorder for H4350 since it's compatible with 6.5cm rifle (if you have a 6.5cm rifle) and large rifle primers. That'll allow you to build a stockpile of powders and primers that would work for calibers you currently have (that you can also use to start loading) while waiting for 22 CM specific components to become available. Just gotta make sure the place you backorder from doesn't charge til the item ships.

That's like asking when the best time to buy a suppressor and send off your Form 4... The answer will always be "Yesterday..."

When is the best time to buy or build a gun you want, or start your build? Yesterday...

Same answer for getting into reloading.

I know it sounds like I'm being a dick, but I'm not. In this political climate, and with the ammo and component shortages, and everyone panic-buying everything, yesterday is alway the best time to do everything firearms related.

I wouldn't bet on it ever getting back to normal.