• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yet another AICS conversion......

woogie_man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Fargo, ND
Well after seeing all of the other posts about people putting their rifles into the AICS stocks, I figured what the hell I have a nice stock sitting in my basement. Yes the stock is from a TANAKA AICS airsoft rifle that was left over from a previous project that I long since sold.

I have been reading through and seeing everyone using either a Savage or something of the like, and thought there would be no way I would be able to fit an Izhmash CM-2 into that stock. Well after a little work, and I do mean very little work, I was able to bolt her up and get some pics taken.

All that was needed was to cut some of the lips off of the top of the rifle and ensure that everything is nice and flat. Being as the base of the CM-2 action is flat it was a simple process to make it sit correctly. The one thing that I have yet to do is make a slug for the mag well, so I can attach the front mounting bolt. I am going to have this water cut out of a block of material and welded into the stock to ensure it is strong enough.

The rifle right now has on a DIP 20 MOA base, as well as a MOCK muzzle break. I say mock as it is behing held on by blue painters tape so I can see what the rifle will look like with something at the end of the barrel. In a few months she will be wearing a nice sparrow suppressor at the end as well. As for the scope it is a plane scope that I had laying around, and am currently looking at replacing it with something else.

I am thinking about trying to make a larger bolt knob for her as well, and of course a few more things to make this waiting time go by faster.....

P7225049.jpg

P7225050.jpg

I am not sure if I want to go with a fixed 10x scope for the .22lr or something with a variable power. But have been looking over on the wonder optics web site, and was looking at one of those scopes for the rifle. Not looking for anything that will break the bank, but something that will be usefull.

Re: Yet another AICS conversion......

Cool job. Would love to do this with my 10/22 if it's possible.

Nice rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was able to get my slug made for the mag well, welded it in, and drilled a hole for the front bolt. Now all I need to do is either make a stud to take up some of the length of the bolt, or cut it down.

Though while looking over the rifle the SN# is below 10! So I am thinking of another route to save all the original parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this on your 10/22. I have one and it feels better than the real AI chasis, at least for me.
http://www.troupsystems.com/rifle%20stocks.htm </div></div>

Thanks for the advice. Almost like the Anschutz stock which fits me like a glove.

Holy shit that stock looks so real it's scary! I had to actually google "TANAKA AICS airsoft" and still in shock how well the clone looks. I actually just picked up an OD stock for a .308

Keep us posted.

Some of those airsoft "toys" can get expensive. If I were to add up what I have put into a few of my toys, I would have been able to buy a few of the black ops rimfire rifles, and a few really nice tac ops rifles.

Well the rifle shoots like a dream still.

Was shooting very nice groups over the weekend, and was able to take her out to 200 yards with ease.

And if anyone is interested in a stock like this I have found one for under $100.

Woogie, does the Tanaka AICS stock have the aluminum chassis like the Wells G96, or is it skeletonized plastic? Just curious.

I just received the Wells G96 folder and it's amazing how stout it really is. I plan on putting a Savage Mark II action in it. I am surprised Accuracy International doesn't sue the makers, it's pretty much identical. It is kind of cool to see the real AICS sitting next to the Chinese air-soft version. I plan on using mine as a trainer for my .300 Win Mag =]

Whoever thought of this is a smart fella. I just wish it was my idea!! Looks great man.

The Tanaka AICS stock is actually 3 pieces. You are able to unbolt the but stock, as well as the for-end.

The gas rifles usually have some kind of metal internals, while the spring rifles typically just have the plastic panels that bolt together.

Did/do you have any issues with the folding portion of the chassis? Mine was a Wells G96 folder and the retention spring that would hold the stock folded was pretty weak and/or broken. I have looked around and been unsuccessful in finding a picture of what they look like normally.

What I did instead was cut off the beveled portion and placed a neodymium magnet into the female portion was, and it works flawlessly. I also shimmed the hinge with a piece of aluminum from a coke can, so now it's almost like my real AICS..

Seriously though, they are copied so well it's scary. There are a couple small differences, the chinese airsoft stock is an aluminum tube with 1/8" thick walls that they use instead of a solid aluminum block milled out like the real deal. Still though, for what it's original intended use in mind, it's extremely overkill.. I have reservations about many center fire guns being used, but I am confident it will support a .223 all day long

that came out looking real good, congrats on a nice project.