• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors yhm suppressor

sixpack340

Thrower of angry avocados
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
york, pa
well, i broke down and bought my first can. the paperwork will be sent out shortly and i'll have to patiently await its arrival back i suppose. i bought a yankee hill 5.56/.223 can. so my question is, will it hurt my can if i shoot 22lr through it on a fairly regular basis? maybe 100-150 rnds per month?

Re: yhm suppressor

Why would .22lr hurt the can. New to cans myself, I have the same can so I'm just curious.

Not a good idea to shoot rimfire calibers thru a centerfire can. The carbon fouling from the 22 can really be hell on your baffles, especially when you get a strike.

I have the YHM 5.56 phantom suppressor and use it on a M&P-22 rifle and ISSC pistol with threaded barrel. Haven't noticed any problems with my centerfire rifles, Savage 12FV or AR15.

You shouldn't have any problems. If there is extra carbon build up, it will just make your can even quieter. You can always contact any local company that has an ultrasonic cleaner and have them clean it just as a precautionary measure. You might even contact YHM and they might have a cleaning program.

I have a YHM .22 Mite and YHM 5.56 as well. After running about 200 rnds thru the Mite which can be taken apart, you would be surprised to see that much gunk inside. Because of that I would refrain from shooting .22 thru the 5.56 which can't be taken apart. I just would hate thinking of all that build up inside over time.

If it makes you feel any better give YHM a call and ask them the same question.

Its the build up coming loose in the can and causing an obstruction is what I worry about.

Ultrasonic cleaners should RARELY be used on a welded can.... the ultrasonic use is not ideal for the welds, it can cause them to weaken.

Can do...but I would clean it as others have suggested. You WILL love a dedicated .22LR can that is user maintenance capable. I love my SILENCERCO Sparrow.

The Can will be fine...YHM makes a high quality product. IMHO heat is the big enemy of the can. Since you wont be shooting the 22lr full auto it will be good to go. If you are dying to clean it....just follow the instructions with the can. Enjoy

I don't know about your specific model can, but the GemTech FAQ says it is fine.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=7#23

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I shoot .22LR or other rimfire calibers through my 5.56mm suppressor?

Yes, any of our 5.56mm suppressor can be used on .22LR weapons, including AR-15 type rifles using Ceiner or other brand conversion kits.</div></div>

I have the same suppressor, I called them a couple days ago and asked. They say it no problem to run it on a .22lr. YHM recommends you soak the can in mineral spirits over night and the blow out any excess every 1000-1500 rounds.

I wouldn't do it. IIRC the original .22 cans were welded and would fill up with lead. I've heard of cans being a pound or so heavier than when they first started. The stainless steel/chrome moly are heavy enough as is.