• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You ever got someone a gun as a gift?

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
Yesterday was my dad's 63rd birthday and I found a used Mossberg 500AG 12ga with a factory adjustable choke. He had been talking about wanting a pump shotgun for about 9 months but he's kind of a tight wad so he would never get one.
So we blew out candles and I went outside and got the gun brought the gun in and handed it to him and he immediately started smiling big and said "awesome!" And got all excited. I had 3 shells in his garage from forever ago. He loaded them up turned the choke to full and took aim at a target from about 30yds leaving a pattern that I could cover with my hand.
He was so excited he already made plans for the up coming dove and pheasant sessions.
Just wondering your stories.

That's a great birthday present. I got my wife an xd9 last year for Christmas. She loved it. Smile from ear to ear. And to think a year prior she was "afraid" of guns and thought they were bad......

My Brothers and I bought our Dad several guns on special occasions. Our Dad of course liked this. When one of my nieces was about 14 we got her a Browning Semi auto .22 for Christmas. Her reaction was not what we had hoped for. Her Christmas happy expression turned to a furious scowl and She said " IN CASE YOU GUYS HAVE NOT NOTICED I AM A GIRL."

One three occasions we have, one was a Browning BPS shotgun for Christmas, another was a Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen for Christmas, and the last one was a Springfield M1A for his birthday. That last one really surprised him. He had been talking about getting one for about a year. His birthday was coming up and my one brother mentioned it. We got him to go with us to a gun store and on the way down handed him an envelope with enough money to get one. He didn't look in the envelope until I told him he better count what he has so that he knows what he can get. Mom couldn't believe that we did that.

My parents gave me a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas when I was 7 or 8. My dad bought my wife a Winchester 1300 20 ga shotgun for a gift the first Christmas we were together. My wife and I chipped in with my dad's wife for a marlin 17HMR for him recently. My dad bought my son a red rider BB gun when he was 4. He got to open that gift in front of a room full of stunned "California parents." My wife bought me a marlin 17HMR for my birthday one year- which spurred the desire for the same rifle in my dad. I got my son a Savage Rascal in 22lr for Christmas when he was 6. My wife bought me an M1 Garand from the CMP for our wedding anniversary/my birthday. Giving guns as gifts has a long history in my family.

I have bought my sons guns through out the years and will continue to do so as a good father. Reload for them too!

I bought my wife an early P&R S&W M29 after a few years of marriage. We are divorced now, but I still miss that pistol.

When I first got with my now wife, I gave her a Walther P22 that I Duracoated pink as an engagement gift. For Christmas last year I got her a Savage FV-SR .22 after she fell in love with my MKII-TR. I'm thinking this year she's finally going to get the AR or PS90 that shes been begging for.

My nieces got Remington model 5s for their 5th or 6th Christmas. The youngest hasn't even had a chance to touch it yet, because they are still stationed out of the country. My nephew will be receiving his grandmothers .22 in a couple years. Parts is being accumulated for center fires for all of them in a few years.

Bought my dad a superposed Belgium browning for his birthday years ago. He had been looking at it for months and talking to my mom about it. When he opened it, he grinned from ear to ear. Bought my son a AiAe mark3 last Xmas when he was 12 last year. He has got a gun at every Xmas since he was six.

I bought my dad a custom 300wm for his retirement. He shot his first elk with it a month later. I'll never forget that.

Up here, the laws are a little different than ya'lls. So around here, Powder, Primers, and Bullets are on everyone's list. At least, that's what they get when I'm shopping.

Everything else is just 'fluff'. EVERYBODY needs powder, primers, and bullets.

I've given a number of rifles as gifts over the years, I've always had a smith put a small engraved plaque, with date, to and from on each one. My first rifle had that addition, I still have it, and think about the day I got it, and who gave it to me, every time I hold it. The history for future generations is built in! Few items can be enjoyed for generations better than firearms-without a doubt Top Shelf Gifts!

Bought my old man a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 as a thank-you gift.

To me its no different to any other gift. Dad likes his guns and prefers functional presents, so i got him a gun that was functional for his needs.

If he didnt like functional presents or guns i'd have got him something else. Its all about the thought and the person really. Though here in oz its a bit harder because of the laws and permits required to take posession of the firearm .

Nice sentiment, but is it not against federal law to buy a firearm for someone other than yourself?
Unintended straw purchase.. :)

You can do it without inadvertently becoming a straw purchaser. Ex: order online and have the recipient sign for it from the ffl.

Before online shopping (around '99) I bought my buddy an LTR at the LGS, paid everything but $1 so when he went to pay they only charged him $1. The lgs was concerned that he wouldn't be considered the buyer if he didn't pay any part of the purchase price. The background checks and transaction records still reflect the true owner, you're just paying for it.

Nice sentiment, but is it not against federal law to buy a firearm for someone other than yourself?
Unintended straw purchase.. :)
That is not the case.
You are permitted to purchase a firearm as a gift and may gift it as long as the recipient is not prohibited from owning a firearm.

I once bought my Dad an FR8.
Awesome little carbine.

That is not the case.
You are permitted to purchase a firearm as a gift and may gift it as long as the recipient is not prohibited from owning a firearm.

I once bought my Dad an FR8.
Awesome little carbine.

Correct. I have an FFL, and it is permissible to purchase a firearm for someone as a gift.

In reference to the first question on the 4473, you are still the person purchasing the firearm. Once you take possession of the firearm, the laws for personal sales/gifts apply and are legal. It would only be unlawful if you purchased the firearm and gave it to someone who you knew was not legally allowed to own a firearm or purchased the firearm on behalf of someone else.

Its a fine line, but there are differences between straw purchases and purchasing a firearm you intend to give as a gift.

My 12 year old, a Henry Golden Boy in 22lr and a close friend who lives out of state but sent it to him through a ffl so it ended up in his name

I was 16 (a looong time ago mid 60s) making $1/hr. All I had ever heard from my dad was "how great the Browning was", and "wish I had one". He was a gunnery instructor in Harlingen, Tx after his 50 mission tour in north Africa in B-17s, and spent hours on the skeet range using Brownings. His birthday was January 31. Christmas came around, and I said "sorry Dad, you are not getting a birthday present next month", and handed him the Light 12. He was speechless. He died last year, and that Light 12 is now my favorite shotgun.

In 1977 I gave my Dad a Ruger security six 4" blued 357 magnum for Christmas. The look on his face was priceless when he opened the box and pulled it out. Dad died in June of 2009. I got that pistol back. It is worn and has been shot a lot. To me it is priceless. There is no telling how many thousands of 38 and 357 rounds went through that revolver in the 32 years that he owned it. It is still a great shooter. I hope to pass it down to a grandchild one day.

Thanks for the memories Dad!

My dad just retired two weeks ago. My family and I went in and bought him parts to put together a 260 Remington single shot f-class style rifle. We all gave him a piece of the rifle, my brother and I helped him put it together.

When I lived in Michigan you had to get a purchasing permit to buy a handgun unless you had a CCW. I was working out of town and stopped in a small gun shop and in the used pistol rack was a Ruger Bear Cat in like new condition for $250, my old man had always wanted one. I bought it and told the shop it was for my father and he would be back in to fill out the paperwork but asked them to not mention it was a gift. Dad went and picked it up and told me how much he had always wanted one.... two weeks later I wrapped it up and gave it to him for Christmas.

My dad could buy almost anything he wants but is crazy cheap and will spend years looking for the right deal.

A couple years ago he finally found the M1a he has wanted. After he got it he found out he liked the idea of having an M1a more than he liked shooting it. I told him I wanted that rifle more than anything in the safe. So he gave it to me the same day we gave him his retirement gift.

Last edited:
Bought my 16 year old son a CZ 452 Varmint .22 for Christmas... Holy cow that was four years ago he's 20 now and a cadet in the Corps at Texas A&M... We had it out at the range two weeks ago... I can still out shoot him.

I gave 2 employees guns one was a 1911 and one was a S&W 9MM.. Some times it is better than a bonus

Instruction from the BATFE 4473 itself, page 4 of 6:

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party.