• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You have $10,000. What do you build?

You have $10,000. What do you build?

Something probably based on the Cheytec case as I probably wouldn't otherwise. Hard to find anywhere to shoot beyond a mile around here and the 338 handles that fine, but would still like to have one just to play with.

Most likely, I'd probably acquire a massive headache trying to decide. There are just too many rifles I want at the moment.

I would contact George at G A Precision and go see him and have him build me a custom AR package, built to my specs. Probabaly a 260 caliber. I have one of his bolt guns in that caliber and it a sub half MOA if I do my work-and that is with BH factory ammo.

I would build a weapon I intend to use and in Tx there are plenty of pigs that need killing.

I had just the same debate with some post-deployment money and I chose the following system. Can't wait till it arrives.

AX308MC 24"
Nightforce BEAST Mil-R
Atlas BT10-LW17 Bipod

buy a glass (SB 3-20 W/H2CMR) 1st, then a GAP Hospitaller or a Surgeon Short Action Scalpel on a Cadex Lite Strike Chassis *both on a 260 Rem

Borden Rimrock SSR action with magnum bolt face, and chrome moly action body
Reasonable contour 26" Hart barrel
Action and barrel Ion-Bonded with diamond like carbon finish
Chambered in Gap 4S 6.5 SAUM
Manners SL stock, or possibly Manners folder stock with fitted Anschutz rail
BDL magazine
Talley rings
High end optic that makes sense like a Nightforce 2.5 x10, or possibly a high quality 3-15 scope
LRA bipod just for bench shooting
Full reloading setup with all the FGM primers, and all the H1000 powder I could shake a stick at
Custom Warner Tool die for the 6.5 SAUM
Swarovski Spotting scope.

I'm missing a bunch of things, but this is where I would start.

Last edited:
An AIAT, a couple of 243 or 260 barrels, a few magazines, a Bender/BEAST/Theta 5-25 and my favorite rings and bipod.

I'd build a Russian whorehouse and get some return on investment....if you know what I mean.

I would get an AI AX in 260, a couple spare barrels, a hendsold scope and plenty of brass, powder, primers and bullets to burn all the barrels in a few years. if there is any cash left over, a trip to rifles only.

Get Defiance Machine to build me a proprietary action based off of a 1903A3 action, built to my specifications.

30-06
Bartlien, Light Palma, 22", 1-10" twist, .30 bore, reamed for the 208 grain Hornady Amax, contoured at the muzzle to accept a standard 1907 pattern bayonet (in conjunction with the morphed stock).
Custom built stock based off of a HSP PST014 and a 1903 "C" stock
Proprietary rear sight, based off the SMLE rear sight
Trigger set at 2.5 - 3.5 pounds.

Thats the dream!

i was presented with a similar issue last year, I purchased an AIAX .338 but I should have waited a year and saved a few grand.

i would build something that will be in your budget to shoot.

you don't want to get a canon that will cost you 4-5 dollars a round to shoot JMHO.

I'd wait to see if it lives it to its promise, but if it did I'd get an American Rifle Company M2.

Build or buy ?
I would buy and maybe mod if needed.

AI switch barrel rifle and some nice glass works for me.

A case of mosin nagants and 10 cases of 7.62x54r. 15 lbs of rl-15, 3000 large rifle primers and 3000 175 gr smks. Some soft armor for under my plate carrier. A scope and mount for my m1a. If there is any left I would spend it all on bulk 5.56.

AI AXMC in .300win mag/.308 with all the glass/can/bi-pod goodies that go with it.

Or.

Really nice custom to support American gun smiths. That always feels good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was skeptical of bullpups, but after finally getting to shoot one I'd buy a DTA SRS a1, and a great scope. Could probably even fit one caliber conversion into a $10k budget.

I'd opt for: 6.5 SLR and 338 LM.

$2000-2500 into a 260
$2000-2500 on glass

Rest spent on ammo, range time and instruction.

In all honesty after you get into the $4-5k range for a rifle, what does a $10k one do better?
I'm newer to bolt actions. But know in the AR world many, not all, of the huge dollar rifles are just "stuff" put on a stock rifle. Tacticool junk mostly that does not help the rifle do its job. I built a $1100 white oak AR and it far out shoots many others out there for much more.
Price does not equal goo. Same in the car world.

...I'd build a cheek weld behind my new Grunig+Elmiger RS III CISM in 6.5x47. I'd be a bit over budget....

rs-iii-kk-20131913_big.jpg

Probably an AI with all the bells / whistles with quality glass and I'd take some instruction on how to shoot it!

I wish I could say they are all mine but sadly they're not. The FDE AI in the front is mine but the others are friends rifles. Still an impressive lineup none the less.

I was skeptical of bullpups, but after finally getting to shoot one I'd buy a DTA SRS a1, and a great scope. Could probably even fit one caliber conversion into a $10k budget.

I'd opt for: 6.5 SLR and 338 LM.

This is the route I'm going. I'd like to find a good SRS used for the right price, and my BEAST is supposed to show up next week.

If I walked into your garage with all that sitting there and $10k in my pocket I would finish off the restoration/repairs/upgrades on whatever you got sittin' on blocks in the backgound.

You would have to talk to R.Walters about that, that's his place. The car being worked on is a old limo, it's a pretty cool looking project.

Surgeon or Templar V2 action based gun built by Ga P in 6.5 Creedmoor with 23" fluted barrel bedded into a KMW stock topped with a 5.5-22 NXS, which should leave almost enough money to order another custom Linebaugh 5-shot big bore handgun.

So I would build two.