• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You have 10 minutes to evacuate. What do you take?

DCAN

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2020
With all the discussion around the fires, I thought I might throw this out for those who have the knowledge to help.
The question is: You have 10 minutes to leave your house. The fire is 1/4 mile away and moving fast. It is almost certain your home will burn.
What should a person take with them?

dogs ammo key firearms whiskey and beer. Ammo could be a challenge. 😁

Wedding video/album, portable hard drive/laptop, family’s meds, diaper bag, two or three sets of clothes each for all of us. The rest can be claimed on my insurance. I’m not going to be defending my property in a community shelter, and I don’t need any trouble with local LE here behind enemy lines, so my guns will melt in the safe.

assuming fire....all living thing, passport, deeds, wallet, id, cash and jewelry, cell phone, water, food, backpack, meds, firearm, ammo, fuel, matches if you really have time...if little time, living things, cash, water, cell phone, wallet

Kids, cats, guns, ammo(I don’t have much. I know, I know...), a few armloads of clothes, couple wedding pictures, glass vase made from wedding ceremony(it’s heavy duty and could pull double duty as a serious weapon), is try to get some tools from the garage.

My wife too, I guess

• Haha
Reactions: Sandhog308
Marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate bars. Whiskey.

Seriously to your original question. What to take in the event of emergency evacuations? I rarely leave a rig parked on our property with less than a half a tank of fuel. Running out of fuel in your vehicle would put a quick end to a fast escape. Otherwise wife, kids, pets (not necessarily in that order). Move!
Everything is insured, and none of it will love me back. So it’s not worth wasting time thinking about possessions now, or in the process of evacuation. The biggest problem will be dealing with traffic. So I would think being very familiar with all roads in your area would have significant value.

Wife’s on her own
9970E50D-79AB-4015-BA66-8D36C42508E5.jpeg

With this much advanced notice you should have a bug out bag already packed and sitting by the door.

Reactions: DCAN
Fam, working dog, G19, DD M4A1, ammo, tote of freeze dried survival food, 1 of my giant jugs of water, cash, gold. Everything else is already in my truck right now. I can get all that together in under 5 min

All the above is why I asked this question. You guys ROCK!
I'm surprised no one has brought up Jim Carrey's items needed for a road trip in "Me, Myself and Irene". It would be fitting in the bear pit.:devilish::ROFLMAO:
I'm going to burry (most)of the guns in the back yard. It's a fire, not a flood. Due to the reloading supplies in the house, I'm not going to be anywhere close by.

Twins, couple guns, ammo,one tote full of food,wife, dog. In that order and all I need.

When you said “twins” this is what immediately popped into my head:

DAB54B40-03C0-4EAE-A15D-2988293B646F.jpeg

I thought “This is a dude I need to hang out with.”

Then someone else replied something about the “twins” being your kids.

What’s wrong with me?

Last edited:
I stay and roast alive.

right. you will be upside down in the darn swamp with some DARPA project smoke breathing apparatus poking above the muck, breathing purified air, in scuba goggles that have both NV and thermal so you can gig for frogs all sneaky.

Do redneck yuppies like frog legs or is that too country?

Unless you got that nice stuff and live in a trailer with couch on the pontoon boat that busted, so you just parked it in the grass against the trailer to use as a porch. Then you are solid. ;)

OK, serious answer. I used to live in fire country, surrounded by beetle kill where every dumbass from Denver would run to on the weekends.
Never wait until evacuation notice. Pack at the beginning of fire season. be ready. Fire close, GTFO. Or send your family and fight the damn thing if at all possible.
Lots of ways to plan for this.
I also realize some of the recent fires have had abnormal behavior and make some of this tough. Still, be on top and it and act in offense mode of safety instead of running when danger is close

So, taking this to another level. Anyone interested in reaching out to help fellow "Hide" members who have lost everything? Area by area connections? I'm all in if someone wants to organize it. Cloths, ammo, food, whatever. LowLight you listening? Want to get the ball rolling? I'll deliver whatever I can, where it's needed. Time to have a brother's back?

When you said “twins” this is what immediatelt popped into my head:

View attachment 7422603

What’s wrong with me?
You need help. I'll watch the twins while you get that help. Trust me.:devilish:

Reactions: TheHorta
When you said “twins” this is what immediatelt popped into my head:

View attachment 7422603

What’s wrong with me?
[/QUOTE]
I might grab your twins and bump my wife off the list... Can they shoot? Dog is still coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHorta
If You wait to grab stuff 10 minutes out you have already lost and might as well stay and do nothing.
Good point. I was trying to imply an urgent situation. Maybe I should have said 1 hour?

How about 24. I’m a firefighter. Please have your shit together. Please.
Copy that. Sorry if I offended. Was only trying to get the ball rolling in the hopes some folks would be helped. So in the interest of getting my shit together, what would you recommend with a 24 hour notice?

No offense. Just been in too many situations trying to get folks to hustle ‘cause it’s comin lawd and they’re fucking around looking for great grandmas cameo. I like to tell people to think about what they need to survive if everything was gone.

Reactions: OldSalty2
Try to sneak out without anyone else noticing.

Good point. I was trying to imply an urgent situation. Maybe I should have said 1 hour?
There are SHTF situations where you and family are only things you take because the 42 inch gas pipeline that runs through you property has ruptured and you are instantly in a world of shit. Outside of that you need to have a plan inplace for this situation so when there are fires burning in your county you inact said plan and have all your important shit loaded ready to leave in 5 min or less. A fire storm is something to behold and the speed they move at is unreal. Have a plan for Fire, Snow, Rain and Humans. Refine plan all the time and realize sometimes you can only save yourself or your loved ones, because everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

The kid, the wife, some docs, a concealable handgun and a few mags of ammo ought to do it. I have a go bag in each car.

No offense. Just been in too many situations trying to get folks to hustle ‘cause it’s comin lawd and they’re fucking around looking for great grandmas cameo. I like to tell people to think about what they need to survive if everything was gone.
No doubt, we may share similar experiences. (30 years in LE ) Mom and dad wondering who's towing the car while their 16 year old kid's body is still being cut out of the wreckage. Pleading with the parents to remember their child as they last saw them, yet they demand to see them now. It can be like herding cats with a broom, can't it? A whole new level of WTF.
My intent with this whole discussion was to get folks thinking, and engage experts (like yourself) to offer up their knowledge to assist those with less experience and training. Hopefully, someone gains something from this. As I'm sure you are painfully aware, reality doesn't knock twice before it enters.

Reactions: Maggot and Sieg
Pleading with the parents to remember their child as they last saw them, yet they demand to see them now.

Few folks actually appreciate why many times it's best to be able to remember them only as they once were.

Reactions: lash
I dunno, fires are not THAT sneaky. If one is 20+ miles ill have my shit already packed: family, guns/ammo, freeze dried food, few 5’s of water which i already have ready, id take 2 cars and 10
Extra gallons of gas.

Kids, wife, dog, cat is on her own, wad of cash, family photos, baby books, only gun that I would be devastated to loose is my grandfathers rem 1100. If time allows, one good rifle, and one AR.

Kids, wife, dog, cat is on her own, wad of cash, family photos, baby books, only gun that I would be devastated to loose is my grandfathers rem 1100. If time allows, one good rifle, and one AR.
Whata man, whata man.

I live in CO in a pine forest. Plan in place. Spray paint cell number on horses and set them free. Pull predefined shit together in action packer and get the hell out in under 5 min.

Reactions: isofahunter