• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You have $5,000 to spend on a rifle and optic - what would you get and why?

I just did this over the last few years....started in 2017 with the idea I wanted to shoot precision "style" whatever that was....the ability to consistently put my rounds on target at ranges out 1000 yards and do it precisely. I can do that now 5 years later and still don't have $5K invested in FrankenGun (Maybe close!) and if I was to do it all again, with what I know now, I'd do the same thing. In fact, I'm burning to build a .338 Lapua rig (started with 6.5 CM) and sourcing all the same stuff except the buttstock (which is no longer made) to get the same feel and functionality.

BaseSavage10FCP-SROpenDetail.jpg

Started with a Savage 10 FCP SR in 6.5 CM, 26" barrel (threaded), AccuTrigger, Accustock. $670 and I got $100 rebate. So $570 as pictured.

FinalBuildwithVortexGE.jpg

Base Rifle: $570
MDT LSS - XL Gen2 Chassis: $500
MDT Vertical Grip: $60
XLR Extreme Buttstock: $250
Atlas BT10 Bipod: $210
Vortex Golden Eagle: <$2K
Area 419 Brake: $170
AICS mags, weights, rails, fluted bolt body, toys: Maybe another $500

It could be said that some people never learn and that I'm one of them but I simply have not seen nor had any of the problems with this action. Never failed to feed/eject and the new bolt body and AICS mags seemed to take a lot of the "rattle, roughness, and slop" out of the action but it never was that bad anyway *and* the gun functioned flawlessly and was a sub MOA shooter right out of the box.

That's what I'd do with $5K to build a Precision Shooter.

VooDoo

Reactions: kamonjj
So I'm a guy with no long range experience but an interest in getting into it after shooting ARs at shorter ranges for a while. I have more money than sense, and that's saying something as I'm just a broke nurse. That being said, I'm just about $5k all in for my first long range rifle. It's an ARC CDG in an ARC Xylo chassis with a Triggertech Special, a PVA barrel in 6.5cm and a Vortex Razor Gen III with a, you guessed it, ARC mount. I'm unsure of how good it will be, but I'm certain I will be the limiting factor. ARC reputation on here along with ease of buying multiple items from one company and a sucker for a cool looking chassis was what sold me. If that seems dumb, please refer to my earlier statement.

For around $5K:

Manners TCS 1500
Origin + action wrench 1100
TT Diamond 300
Proof prefit 500
muzzle brake 100-200

Used Vortex Razor HDG2 MRAD w/ rings/mount from the PX ~1700

Very close to what I'd recommend. This would get you a top-grade rifle that also looks bad ass.

What I'd do differently? Get a used Razor Gen 2 and use the difference to get a Bartlein ModBB barrel and have it cut by a smith - maybe even Cerakoted! The longer barrel life is a nice thing.

Also, the TCS is a really cool stock, but doesn't fit everyone really well. It actually fits me well (friend's rifle - doesn't fit him well). There are a myriad of other great options in that price range. It's also exceedingly heavy, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the individual and how the rifle will be used.

Used AI-AT with used Vortex scope, used mount as well. I have bought all of these item from other hide members with now issues.
The reason the AI-AT is
1. No gunsmith for barrel change means future money saved
2. You can shoot multiple calibers with same chassis.
3. Barrels available from many sources
4. Outstanding performance.

But this is just me I have 4 AI's and looking to add a 5th

The OP asked about $5K for a rifle and a scope, which I think is a fair/realistic budget/number, but that does not include the other shit...

Remember: the gun is the cheapest thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you get hooked on this shit you will be buying $100+ bags of sand in no time, and will need to burn out a couple/few barrels, with the gas and ammo that takes ...and that will require a little loot too.

Last edited:
The OP asked about $5K for a rifle and a scope, which I think is a fair/realistic budget/number, but that does not include the other shit...

Remember: the gun is the cheapest thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you get hooked on this shit you will be buying $100+ bags of sand in no time, and will need to burn out a couple/few barrels, with the gas and ammo that takes ...and that will require a little loot too.
Where you gettin bags of sand for $100? You're holding out on us again, I think I paid $250 for my last bag. Come to think of it when I got it there wasn't any sand in it, maybe I got ripped off.

• Haha
Reactions: kamonjj and CK1.0
I just did this over the last few years....started in 2017 with the idea I wanted to shoot precision "style" whatever that was....the ability to consistently put my rounds on target at ranges out 1000 yards and do it precisely. I can do that now 5 years later and still don't have $5K invested in FrankenGun (Maybe close!) and if I was to do it all again, with what I know now, I'd do the same thing. In fact, I'm burning to build a .338 Lapua rig (started with 6.5 CM) and sourcing all the same stuff except the buttstock (which is no longer made) to get the same feel and functionality.

View attachment 8134505

Started with a Savage 10 FCP SR in 6.5 CM, 26" barrel (threaded), AccuTrigger, Accustock. $670 and I got $100 rebate. So $570 as pictured.

View attachment 8134507

Base Rifle: $570
MDT LSS - XL Gen2 Chassis: $500
MDT Vertical Grip: $60
XLR Extreme Buttstock: $250
Atlas BT10 Bipod: $210
Vortex Golden Eagle: <$2K
Area 419 Brake: $170
AICS mags, weights, rails, fluted bolt body, toys: Maybe another $500

It could be said that some people never learn and that I'm one of them but I simply have not seen nor had any of the problems with this action. Never failed to feed/eject and the new bolt body and AICS mags seemed to take a lot of the "rattle, roughness, and slop" out of the action but it never was that bad anyway *and* the gun functioned flawlessly and was a sub MOA shooter right out of the box.

That's what I'd do with $5K to build a Precision Shooter.

VooDoo
How many pairs of weights are you running?
I'm trying to figure out what is mounted under the fore end.

Tikka CTR - 1000
KRG bravo (and accessories) - 500
Razor Gen 3 - 2500 (can be had for less in PX)
Arc rings and level - 200
Brake - 200
Timney 2 stage - 200 (can save here if you like the stock single)
20 moa rail - 50
Bipod - 200
Bag - 50

There’s your 5000+/- with room to grow. I’d recommend finding everything used here in the px. Save some $ and can flip it if you don’t like it

The problem where I am is a place to shoot. I would have to travel at least an hour one way, join a club ( have to make an appointment to shoot ) and spend a fairly hefty penny to shoot any distance over 100 yards. I`d probably invest in something a bit more target oriented if I had even a 300 yard range but as it is I really can`t justify more than my 110 hunting rifle in .223, which does great at 100 yards at our state run, public range.
Stop crying and go shoot. Plenty of people have long drives to just practice, much less compete.

Used AI-AT with used Vortex scope, used mount as well. I have bought all of these item from other hide members with now issues.
The reason the AI-AT is
1. No gunsmith for barrel change means future money saved
2. You can shoot multiple calibers with same chassis.
3. Barrels available from many sources
4. Outstanding performance.

But this is just me I have 4 AI's and looking to add a 5th
You can do the same thing, cheaper and with better parts with almost all modern custom action and not be tied to a shitty ecosystem like AI.

How many pairs of weights are you running?
I'm trying to figure out what is mounted under the fore end.
3 pairs of weights. There is an extended M-LOK rail under the front which lets me push the bipod further forward and holds two weights.

VooDoo

I’d recommend a Tikka and the best optic you can get. TT or ZCO used will do the trick. Don’t skimp on glass and get some piece of junk that looks like a constant mirage and tracks poorly.

The problem where I am is a place to shoot. I would have to travel at least an hour one way, join a club ( have to make an appointment to shoot ) and spend a fairly hefty penny to shoot any distance over 100 yards. I`d probably invest in something a bit more target oriented if I had even a 300 yard range but as it is I really can`t justify more than my 110 hunting rifle in .223, which does great at 100 yards at our state run, public range.
Hell, I drive an hour to shoot 600 yards and 2 hours to shoot 1000. yes, have to join and invest money, but if you want to play you must pay.

Hell, I drive an hour to shoot 600 yards and 2 hours to shoot 1000. yes, have to join and invest money, but if you want to play you must pay.
Apparently. Two hours one way? That`s dedication alright. Of course, I guess when you start sinking thousands into this, it puts a different perspective on things. I`ve about decided that long range, precision target shooting is not for the average Joe when it comes to time and money. That pretty much lets me out.

Last edited:
@kamonjj I think there is another option. If you are going to a Rifles Only class I think they have loaner rifles that you can use that are set up quite nicely. You call ahead and get that set up. You pay for the ammo. Take the class. See what you like and what you don't like. Then go and buy what you decide you want then.

- Zermatt Origin Action : ~$900
- Krieger barrel chambered in cartridge of choice and threaded for 5/8x24: $850
- Insite Arms Heathen 3 port brake: $160
- KRG Bravo: $350
- BNA TacSport 2 stage Trigger: $275
- ARC M10 rings: $180
- Atlas Bipod: $200
- Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56 scope: $2200

The above is right around $5k. This build gets you a very precise rifle, really good optics, great components and room to grow with chassis'/stock for the future. However the KRG Bravo really punches above it's weight class and is a great "budget" chassis. This would probably be the route I would go if I had $5K budget for rifle and optics. If you go used, you should be able to get even better deals than the above.

First $2200 for a Burris XTRIII?!? Maybe take $1000 off that. LOL

But that's kind of what I would recommend with the following changes.

- PVA Osprey barrel chambered in cartridge of choice and threaded for 5/8x24: $700
- PVA Jet4 brake: $140
- Timney HIT Trigger: $210
- Seekins rings: $130
- Zeiss 4-25x50 $2199

And being in Norfolk and possibly being vet or active mil can cut some of those prices down through Expertvoice or similar. Especially the optic.

The Origin is a great choice as it allows you to change bolt faces easily so you can have multiple calibers with different case sizes on one set up.

First $2200 for a Burris XTRIII?!? Maybe take $1000 off that. LOL

But that's kind of what I would recommend with the following changes.

- PVA Osprey barrel chambered in cartridge of choice and threaded for 5/8x24: $700
- PVA Jet4 brake: $140
- Timney HIT Trigger: $210
- Seekins rings: $130
- Zeiss 4-25x50 $2199

And being in Norfolk and possibly being vet or active mil can cut some of those prices down through Expertvoice or similar. Especially the optic.

The Origin is a great choice as it allows you to change bolt faces easily so you can have multiple calibers with different case sizes on one set up.

Appreciate the correction! Apparently I put in the XTR Pro's pricing, whoops 🤡

The new Zeiss' look like good scopes for the money, that's a good suggestion.

Reactions: Rob01 and YotaEer
Even the xtr pro is “only” $1900 from liberty optics and a great choice.
A even lower price option is the athlon cronus from Doug @ camera land

Reactions: Rob01
Appreciate the correction! Apparently I put in the XTR Pro's pricing, whoops 🤡

The new Zeiss' look like good scopes for the money, that's a good suggestion.
They are amazing, if you haven’t looked through one yet. My local store has had them since they dropped. I’m still eyeballing one to replace some of my cheaper budget scopes. 👍🏼

They are amazing, if you haven’t looked through one yet. My local store has had them since they dropped. I’m still eyeballing one to replace some of my cheaper budget scopes. 👍🏼
Have the 1/4 mil reticle and love it, I wish my zco had this reticle.

Reactions: FuhQ
...best thing you can spend your money on to compliment your new rifle is training at Rifles Only.
I was going to say the same thing about cookies.

If you really want to hone you skill, get a shitty scope and rifle. And lots of cookies.
Mmm...cookies.

@kamonjj I think there is another option. If you are going to a Rifles Only class I think they have loaner rifles that you can use that are set up quite nicely. You call ahead and get that set up. You pay for the ammo. Take the class. See what you like and what you don't like. Then go and buy what you decide you want then.
The by far best advice in this thread!

I have 4x as much in my gun as scope and I think you’ll be hard pressed to tell me it’s holding me back.
haha I was thinking the same thing... as Im looking for a scope more expensive than my axsr so I can not be a clown...

I will start by saying I am NOT a prs guy, but this is my breakdown:
Sako s20 in 6.5creed
Nightforce SHV
Reloading components.

This question is like being at a swimsuit contest and asking the crowd which one would they like to take home.

So you going to take out a personal loan for the reloading set-up, bags, tripod, chrono, weather meter & cleaning gear… or?

You have $5,000 to spend on a rifle and optic - what would you get and why?​

AR-15 with a Faxon 6mm 20" ARC barrel. Timney Horner trigger. Kilo 6K binoculars. 5-30x Sierra BDX scope. Add in a LabRadar and a Kestral. Should be able to hit paper at 100 yards.

ZCO and a Tikka.

Edited to add why.

In my opinion, optic and trigger are your main interfaces with the rifle (assuming LOP and cheek height is appropriate). The Tikka will shoot out of the box and has great aftermarket support - most importantly shouldered prefit barrels. The Zero Comp is an all around amazing optic and IMO also looks the best on any rifle.

Last edited:
I did three each way yesterday - and where I go out to BLM, it's 2:45 + an hour target setup and another in takedown. Best days I ever have...
I hear you. That`s a full day. Usually have too much on my " to do " list that require time elsewhere. I usually try to reserve my full days away from home for actual hunting trips.

Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor plus the best scope you can afford then for me I’d get a TBAC Ultra 7 .264 flavor or 30 cal when funds allowed

I've never shot one,but when I was at Euro optic recently,. I was really impressed with Seekins HIT Pro rifle. I'd probably pair that with a nightforce NX8 or vortex razor Gen 3. that would keep you just under $5k. The Tikka T3 Tac A1 is also really nice, but no quick change barrel.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Seekins-Havak-HIT-0Pro-Rifles.aspx

Scheels has them for $300 less than EO...

I’d figure out what your flavor of rifle, & cartridge is firstly. Probably through attending some local matches and talking to folks who have used that particular action, cartridge and optic.

Your original post is pretty open ended, use wise, which naturally makes it hard to suggest specifics.

If you posses any degree of mechanical know-how, my biggest suggestion would be to base it on an action that accepts pre-fits. Especially if you plan to shoot a lot, or use a moderately hot cartridge.

Also, accept the fact that what you like or want will probably change down the road as you shoot more.