• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You know it's deer season when...

I've heard my dad say this at least once. But, looking at his targets and recounting his successes in the field, I cannot refute either statement.

I guess a man really does need to know his limitations...

When a man shows up at the range with his new tasco scope he bore sighted and completely missed a 6 x6 foot plywood board at 25 yards. True story, happened next to me last week.

When a man shows up at the range with his new tasco scope he bore sighted and completely missed a 6 x6 foot plywood board at 25 yards. True story, happened next to me last week.
If you don't compensate for it, Coriolis will affect your point of impact. All the good i-phone ballistic programs take the spin rate of the Earth into account.???

Last edited:
I was running a public sight=in day at my local club, and three mid eastern looking guys show up with a SMLE and a BIG spam can of radway 1938 .303 ball. Blazed away, fired about 30 rounds at the 100 yd target. Looked thru the scope, saw 4 holes in the paper. This was before 9/11. Said something to one of them about a loose front sight, he bellows "NO TOUCH!" Thought about telling them 1938 ammo has corrosive primers------nahhhhh.

At the range this morning a guy shows up, unboxes a twelve guage shotgun, clamps it into a Lead Sled, then goes down range and puts a tennis ball in the dirt at 100m.

He shoots a few rounds, declares 'that's good enough, I mean, shit, I hit the tennis ball', then boxes up the shotgun and leaves... No doubt ready for deer season.

Well, you know me: I couldn't resist going downrange to have a look at the tennis ball. Here it is, still in the dirt, unscathed:
tate8e2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it the crew from Red Jacket??

I went to P2K today (100 yard indoor range in SoCal). A lot of guys were sighting in their hunting rifles. A couple guys hung this big pistol target up at 100 yards. I wish I could have taken pictures of it through my scope. I cannot believe how bad of a shot they were. I feel bad for any deer that they might shoot at. In lieu of an actual picture I tried to recreate what I saw. It was approx 24" across, and they were literally shooting like 10 MOA and talking up a storm about how they were gonna get a deer. Just hit the paper I guess and you are a good Shot.

On the plus side I met a wounded warrior shooting an .338 AI and his groups were TIGHT, OORAH. I am constantly amazed at how people deal with adversity, and every time I see something like that I re-resolve to never complain about anything, ever.

righthandcorrectionchartusarmymarkmanshiptrainingguide-copy.jpg

I went to P2K today (100 yard indoor range in SoCal). A lot of guys were sighting in their hunting rifles. A couple guys hung this big pistol target up at 100 yards. I wish I could have taken pictures of it through my scope. I cannot believe how bad of a shot they were. I feel bad for any deer that they might shoot at. In lieu of an actual picture I tried to recreate what I saw. It was approx 24" across, and they were literally shooting like 10 MOA and talking up a storm about how they were gonna get a deer. Just hit the paper I guess and you are a good Shot.

On the plus side I met a wounded warrior shooting an .338 AI and his groups were TIGHT, OORAH. I am constantly amazed at how people deal with adversity, and every time I see something like that I re-resolve to never complain about anything, ever.

righthandcorrectionchartusarmymarkmanshiptrainingguide-copy.jpg

Please say that wasn't prone off a rest?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Please say that wasn't prone off a rest?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

If the guy in the next stall over was shooting a 338 in an indoor range, I'm not sure my "groups" would look much better.

I am constantly amazed at how people deal with adversity, and every time I see something like that I re-resolve to never complain about anything, ever.
Back here it's so easy to lose perspective. Playing the victim, blaming others and complaining about small things have become national passtimes. Most people who don't travel on anything but organized tours are too fat, dumb and happy to know the difference.

A friend of mine, who got out of Nigeria after Ken Saro Wiwa was hanged, dismisses minor issues like losing a job, getting a divorce and not being able to buy house yet, as simply 'First World problems'.

So, I am at the range yesterday to do barrel break-in on a new 6 Creedmoor from Accurate Ordnance when this guy shows up. Line cold, so he takes his target board down range. I notice that he just propped it up on the ground and that no hit on the paper will strike the terminal berm but, instead, skip off the ground behind. He gets back and I simply tell him, nicely, that the SRO will be on him for a safety violation should he come by. Guy goes back down range, removes his target board, puts his gear back in the truck and leaves. He was 325 at least and all this was clearly a struggle for him (huffing and puffing all the way). Guess we won't be friends now......
BTW, everyone must be tested here before membership is granted.
Now, for my thoughts on "cold range". If I see anyone handling weapons (even a scope turret) while I am down range they get a royal ass chewing. That is my one "pet peeve".
If you think I am a range nazi then so be it. But one idiot can ruin it for everyone.

Now, for my thoughts on "cold range". If I see anyone handling weapons (even a scope turret) while I am down range they get a royal ass chewing. That is my one "pet peeve".
On an organized public range, I agree: No handling weapons while people are downrange.

But if it's a well-trained group, depending on what you are doing you can't help but be downrange from one another. That's why muzzle is number one, and finger off the trigger is number two. And either is sufficient.

I remember this one time (at band camp) when I walked in front of a SOF sniper who was about to take a shot. I didn't see which way he was pointing in the tall grass. His spotter grabbed my leg. I wouldn't have been worried if the shooter had seen me, because he is properly trained. The danger was that he was in his bubble and I was in mine. That's when accidents happen.

Last edited:
The difference between a SOF sniper "in his bubble" and a bubble head at the range cannot be measured by any range finder.
I once had the hammer back and was beginning trigger press while zeroing a S&W 629 when the head of some goof ball's son bounced thru the sight picture. Again, I didn't make any friends that day.

Back here it's so easy to lose perspective. Playing the victim, blaming others and complaining about small things have become national passtimes. Most people who don't travel on anything but organized tours are too fat, dumb and happy to know the difference.

A friend of mine, who got out of Nigeria after Ken Saro Wiwa was hanged, dismisses minor issues like losing a job, getting a divorce and not being able to buy house yet, as simply 'First World problems'.

We all have it good here. Not much upsets me anymore, and I tend to laugh when I see people get angry at minor inconveniences. I think of people I know who face death, disease, and imprisonment each day, and pretty much nothing can take away my calm when I think of them and what they must deal with. If the worst that happens to me today is that I have to wait for something, or someone messes up something I order, I had a good day :D

Alright guys I'm a hunter but Deer Season F'ing kills me. I do all the target frame construction at our range. Here are the specs- frames at 100 are 2 ft 6in tall and 8 ft wide. 200,300 and 400 are 4ft tall and 8ft wide to accomidate service rifle targets. Lets back up-100yd is 30 inches tall. Leading up to hunting season it begins. Bullet holes in the top frame, bullet holes in the bottom frame and bullet holes in the side frames. Our policy is targets are to be placed in the center-15 inches high or low at 100yds- are you kidding? We recquire a 6 inch group at 200 to be able to fire on 300 and 400- during hunting season only our regulars are there( which seems to piss off the "experts" who can't manage 3moa). I hate to question anyones right to possess a firearm but at least spend the time to learn how to use it. Anyway I've only been welding for 27yrs so I guess rebuilding those frames will give me some good practice for work!

The frames at the local range are wood and I'm not too proud to say I've hit the top or the bottom a few times. I have an AR that I couldn't keep on 2 targets with fiocchi match ammo but shrunk down to moa with hornady zmax.

But, at least the casual deer hunters tend to shoot a few times and leave. The worst offender at this range is the guy with the tactical 22 on the 25 yard line that spends 20 minutes down range (it may be 5) annotating his target- after the rest of us have gone to the 100 yard line, made our notes, made it back to the firing line and are standing there waiting on him. Hey princess, if you are reading this, take a pic. The rest of us are ready to shoot!!

i love hearing this story in the camp after hearing multiple shots during the hunt
"i shot an armadillo" explanation

Sure...opening day of hunting season or prime time....

it's perfectly reasonable to waste a bullet and notify the deer in the woods that i'm there by shooting an armadillo

then..before the next hunt...the target is up and they are re-sighting their rifle in :D

i love hearing this story in the camp after hearing multiple shots during the hunt
"i shot an armadillo" explanation

Sure...opening day of hunting season or prime time....

it's perfectly reasonable to waste a bullet and notify the deer in the woods that i'm there by shooting an armadillo

then..before the next hunt...the target is up and they are re-sighting their rifle in :D

One of the great joys of mine growing up was shooting armadillos with a 30-30 while we were riding the property looking for deer. (If you bounce one into their underside they will fly several feet into the air...) They may still be an endangered species in McCullough County as a result. But, I never shot one while on stand- but then again I never saw one either. McCullough, San Saba, Llano, and Mason counties sound like the battle of the bulge during deer season. I'm quite confident that the deer are either deaf or conditioned to ignore the sound of distant gunfire.

I was at a range with 300m to the berm shooting my savage .308. I had my stand at the berm with a bunch of small targets i printed out. The guy next to me had a shiny new .300 win mag shooting at the cardboard box with one of the big bulls-eye targets stapled to it at 50m. The range goes cold and I retrieve my targets and he retrieves his. He had a nice shotgun pattern about 8" across but at least centered on the target. He took a look at my targets with a bunch of tight 5 shot groups and starts asking my about my rifle. We BS for a few and he asks me to take a look at his rifle.

He just bought it for hunting season. The $1k 300 win mag had a scope with no markings on it and the mounting rings were sheet metal with a screw on one side and bent in a J on the other side holding it to the base. The kind that you usually find on cheap air rifles. I asked him about it and he said the rifle came like that from the gun shop and the dealer sold him the scope mounted for only an extra $200. First thing i had to know was which gun store it was so I could avoid it.

Nice guy. Army. But he just didn't know much about guns. I gave him a few scope and mount suggestions. He took out a pen and pad and made some notes! After that I let him shoot a few through my .308.

Wow!! I came to the right place. Thought I was the only one who had these observations during "deer season". A guy next to me emptied about 60 shells at $2.50 a shell to "sight in" his shotgun at 100 yards. I just shook my head.

That's a North Dakota plate. We don't all do dumb shit like this in ND. It looks like it's around Valley City. Every state has morons that don't use their heads. With the influx of people in this state from other states, it could be a person from another state, but to be honest it's probably one of our red necks. Just have to laugh and shake your head.

xdeano

Last edited:
I just stumbled on this post for the first time today. It took me a while to read through all of these because of the constant pauses to wipe the tears and let my laughter settle. Since today is Thanksgiving I will say this: I'm TRULY thankful that I don't have to shoot at a public range like you guys. But I can't thank you enough for the laughs!

Last edited:
...when you start finding ram rods half way to the 100yd berm.

Ha ha ha! That's awesome! Love this thread. What can we do but laugh? Use to use a public range near the state college and came up there to find a few kids standing on the benches shooting shotguns from the hip at an old tv. Turned around and went home.

So, I am at the range yesterday to do barrel break-in on a new 6 Creedmoor from Accurate Ordnance when this guy shows up. Line cold, so he takes his target board down range. I notice that he just propped it up on the ground and that no hit on the paper will strike the terminal berm but, instead, skip off the ground behind. He gets back and I simply tell him, nicely, that the SRO will be on him for a safety violation should he come by. Guy goes back down range, removes his target board, puts his gear back in the truck and leaves. He was 325 at least and all this was clearly a struggle for him (huffing and puffing all the way). Guess we won't be friends now......
BTW, everyone must be tested here before membership is granted.
If you think I am a range nazi then so be it. But one idiot can ruin it for everyone.

Not to hi-jack this thread but what process do you use to "do barrel break-in on a new 6 Creedmoor from Accurate Ordnance" what all is entailed for this break in? Looking at getting a CM and just curious about details

Not to hi-jack this thread but what process do you use to "do barrel break-in on a new 6 Creedmoor from Accurate Ordnance" what all is entailed for this break in? Looking at getting a CM and just curious about details
Just because you preface it by saying 'not to hijack...' doesn't mean that it's not a hijack.

There are plenty of other Threads, active now and on this board, that will answer that exact question. Use the search function. Don't ask that we pay your price for your laziness.

Last edited:
In California, my guide showed me an enormous boar liver after I killed a huge boar. While gutting it, he showed me a huge liver and asked if I wanted it. I told him "Hell no." He flipped it over his shoulder into the weeds. Later, he smiled at me and told me Korean "hunters" hire him and they only take the livers and leave the rest of the boar there for coyotes. He told me the Korean "hunters" explained the livers were worth thousands (more than the price of the hunt) and they don't care about the animal. I haven't hunted with that guide since. disheartening.

(deer are like dogs around here.)

I can't believe it

That's a North Dakota plate. We don't all do dumb shit like this in ND. It looks like it's around Valley City. Every state has morons that don't use their heads. With the influx of people in this state from other states, it could be a person from another state, but to be honest it's probably one of our red necks. Just have to laugh and shake your head.

xdeano

You're right that is valley city. I drive through occasionally I'm in mandan. Kind of offensive, I'd laugh but my better half would not like that.

so the story on that guy in the car was it was grandpa and took his grand daughter and grandson hunting. He didn't have a truck and the buddy that was supposed to help some thing came up. So grandpa threw them in the trunk and on there way they went. that is how it was told on fishingbuddy anyway. If its true good on gpa for taking the kids hunting if not who ever it is has some nice back straps. If its ok to have bill boards up for titty clubs all over a couple dead deer in the back of a car should be no big deal.

Yea Graham I read some of them and opinions seem to vary a lot on here, and Yea I also read what Barlein & Krieger say on their web site. In this post I was asking S4F about His process on His new 6 Creedmoor from Accurate Ordnance, as I'm considering one of those, and how it worked out for him and which barrel he chose. If that bothers you read elsewhere, as I didn't ask you for anything

If that bothers you read elsewhere, as I didn't ask you for anything
I don't plan to read elsewhere: it's my Thread. You obviously didn't care to read it, or participate on it, just came along and hijacked it.

And doing that is indeed asking me for something. Saying that you are not doing it doesn't make it true. I was the one who asked you to go elsewhere. Now you want to start an unrelated argument with me, and you want to do it here.

You are being either ignorant, or rude, or both. Kindly either read and obey the rules of this Site or go Troll somewhere else.

Last edited:
I don't plan to read elsewhere: it's my Thread. You obviously didn't care to read it, or participate on it, just came along and hijacked it.

And doing that is indeed asking me for something. Saying that you are not doing it doesn't make it true. I was the one who asked you to go elsewhere. Now you want to start an unrelated argument with me, and you want to do it here.

You are being either ignorant, or rude, or both. Kindly either read and obey the rules of this Site or go Troll somewhere else.

I don't have a dog in this fight other than I'm interested in reading both. Jolofree, if you start another thread, I'll be reading it also.

This is a great thread! All of these hunters must also be shooting at deer wearing armor because they have to have a 300WM or larger. A .308 "just isn't enough gun for a deer."

I hunt(ed?) deer with a .280 Rem and 140gr Core-Lokt Express commercial loads. I see too many dead, decomposing deer in our area to be haphazard about armament.

Usually the near miss comes from a hasty misjudgment of the vertical aspect of their POA.

I like the 280 because it shoots so flat and reduces the potential for vertical aiming errors. I also like the way its terminal performance tends to enlarge the kill zone. It's a hammer, and when shot placement verges on the unacceptable, the added shock portion of the terminal performance can spare the deer some lengthy suffering.

I could definitely kill deer with something a lot less potent, but our hunting areas tend to be wooded, and deer can evade a followup shot too quickly to allow one. I'd rather side with the blasters than be forced to ethically pass up a shot on a decent deer.

Most folks like the .30-'06.

FWIW, up here, 60 miles South of Canada, only large deer have the thermal mass to survive our Winters, so nature has selected for larger specimens on average. Black Friday morning, we woke to 10F. Deer can range up to 170-180lb around our parts. Above average terminal performance can make sense.

Greg

Last edited:
Swear this is true... About thirty years ago in the Catskills near Monticello, NY (about 100 miles NW of NYC.), a couple of friends and I had stopped at a roadside bar to get a bite to eat when three guys in camo and orange come in and start bragging about the buck they'd shot earlier that evening. After a few minutes, we got curious and decided to go have a look at their prize animal. You can only imagine our surprise when we walked out and saw a billy goat tied to the roof rack... we tried convincing them it was a goat, but they would have none of it and continued to insist it was a deer. We just shook our heads!

Ten minutes later, just as we were going out the door, a pair of State Troopers were walking in asking who owned the vehicle with the goat on the roof rack. Not sure how the story ended but I did notice the Troopers were trying hard to keep from laughing when they were telling the three "city hunters" the old farmer was not too happy about some idiots shooting his goat! You just can't make this stuff up!

I received a call for a subject shooting in some ones yard.
Apparently he drove into the yard got out of his truck and used their tree to sight his shotgun.
When confronted by the home owner he replied "there isnt anybody over there I looked" and then left. And the homeowner waited 15 minutes before calling local police who were tied up on a robbery and had to ask our agency for mutual aid.
So of course he was long gone.

I received a call for a subject shooting in some ones yard.
Apparently he drove into the yard got out of his truck and used their tree to sight his shotgun.
When confronted by the home owner he replied "there isnt anybody over there I looked" and then left. And the homeowner waited 15 minutes before calling local police who were tied up on a robbery and had to ask our agency for mutual aid.
So of course he was long gone.

It was probably XD Hedspace...

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/bear-pit/221222-city-idiots-closing.html