• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You know you're shooting long range when:

Re: You know you're shooting long range when:

When you have to go find your bullet, pick it up, load it, and shoot it again to reach the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When bystanders are calling a miss because they haven't heard the *ding* yet. </div></div>

Or the corollary to this:

You assumed you missed because you gave up looking before the bullet actually got there.

John

when you can get another shot off before impact of the first

Your gun club in Texas gets a request from the British to quit chiming Big Ben ten to fifteen times every five minutes on Sunday night.

When you run out of room and need to buy more property to shoot farther.

There is an article in your Montana home town paper about a thousand year old world famous blown glass co. in venice Italy.

They are having to close, every time they set out a finished piece to cool it shaters and don't know why.

Once you start realize the .308Win is not the supreme round you once thought it was.....

When your spotter tells you that you are a dumbass and should find another hobby...

When the trajectory of the impact resembles the trajectory of a lawn dart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 105Amatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your bullet gets bored on the way to your target. </div></div>

laugh.gif
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you start realize the .308Win is not the supreme round you once thought it was..... </div></div>

im gonna smack you next sunday! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you start realize the .308Win is not the supreme round you once thought it was..... </div></div>

man has a point

Ok, Ok...... Once you start to realize the 5.56mm isn't the supereme round you once thought it was..... Feel better now
wink.gif

After trying everything else you resort to using your topo map to estimate the range to the target. Ended up with the scope set on max elevation and holding the bottom mildot approx. 60 ft over the target. This was done with a M-40A1 with 173 gr.white box in 1985 on a arty range in Camp Pendleton. There are two posters on here that were there with me. 12 hits out of 20 shots on steel 55 gal drum. Can anyone guess how far that is.

yes hugo, i feel much better. stupid 556

but then again, who doesn't love 12 moa of wind at 620 yards....lol

There's 2 Rest Stops between you and the target..........

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After trying everything else you resort to using your topo map to estimate the range to the target. Ended up with the scope set on max elevation and holding the bottom mildot approx. 60 ft over the target. This was done with a M-40A1 with 173 gr.white box in 1985 on a arty range in Camp Pendleton. There are two posters on here that were there with me. 12 hits out of 20 shots on steel 55 gal drum. Can anyone guess how far that is. </div></div>

What scope?

I'm guessing that's probably in the 3000m range from some back of the napkin estimating.

Nice shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After trying everything else you resort to using your topo map to estimate the range to the target. Ended up with the scope set on max elevation and holding the bottom mildot approx. 60 ft over the target. This was done with a M-40A1 with 173 gr.white box in 1985 on a arty range in Camp Pendleton. There are two posters on here that were there with me. 12 hits out of 20 shots on steel 55 gal drum. Can anyone guess how far that is. </div></div>

What scope?

I'm guessing that's probably in the 3000m range from some back of the napkin estimating.

Nice shooting</div></div>

The scope was a Unertl 10x..... I'd say 1450m range

A bullet impacts the ground next to you. On recovering it you discover it is one of your hand made bullets that you haven,t used for two years.

When your looking for a way to get NASA to set you up some targets, on the Moon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What scope?

It was the Unertl 10x scope. What started it was the .50 cal. machine gunners were on the range with us and we noticed them shooting at the left lateral limit barrel with the old MA Duece.
They were not coming anywhere near it, just shooting up the hill side. My Spotter told me to give it a try. Thats when we had to resort to the topo map.
According to the Topo map the barrel was on the military crest of the hill at approx. 2940 meters. It took 6 shots to walk the rounds up the mountain. Once we got the range we hit it 12 times out of the next 14 shots.
After the 2nd or 3rd hit the Machine gunners and all of my STA plt watched the fun. The Machine gunners LT. said he was turning the feat into Headquarters as the longest shot ever with a rifle.

We never heard another word about it. There are probably several Marines on here that know the range I am refering to on Camp Pendleton. It was between 33 area and the KD range we qualified on for SS school.
My Spotter is a member here and you can ask him about it as he was the one spotting that day, his screen name is POA POI.

When your Vector 21 reads,----after you release the distance key.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What scope?

I'm guessing that's probably in the <span style="font-weight: bold">3000m range</span> from some back of the napkin estimating.

It was the Unertl 10x scope. What started it was the .50 cal. machine gunners were on the range with us and we noticed them shooting at the left lateral limit barrel with the old MA Duece.
They were not coming anywhere near it, just shooting up the hill side. My Spotter told me to give it a try. Thats when we had to resort to the topo map.
According to the Topo map the barrel was on the military crest of the hill at <span style="font-weight: bold">approx. 2940 meters.</span> It took 6 shots to walk the rounds up the mountain. Once we got the range we hit it 12 times out of the next 14 shots.
After the 2nd or 3rd hit the Machine gunners and all of my STA plt watched the fun. The Machine gunners LT. said he was turning the feat into Headquarters as the longest shot ever with a rifle.

We never heard another word about it. There are probably several Marines on here that know the range I am refering to on Camp Pendleton. It was between 33 area and the KD range we qualified on for SS school.
My Spotter is a member here and you can ask him about it as he was the one spotting that day, his screen name is POA POI. </div></div>

Very nice shooting indeed... apparently my JBM-fu is working reasonably well.
smile.gif

When you have to drive your buddies to the coyote you just shot...because they couldn't see it in their scopes.

Whey you can cover up a shankster's girl with the crosshairs...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whey you can cover up a shankster's girl with the crosshairs...</div></div>

Will a bullet even go that far???
eek.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

When you pull up to the the bench and there is a sign that says Welcome To The Desert Range this is target #1 and it is a Par 5 target enjoy!

when by the time you get back to the FP you forget where the target is, only that it's near that ridge somewhere

Your spotter has to call you from a sat phone to say "hit"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gondy223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You hit the Hubble </div></div>

When the Hubble is your spotter!!!!

when you drive to the highest altitude you can reasonably find and then shoot from the roof/bed for extra altitude.

When you bullet not only goes to sleep, it gets a good night's rest and still has time for a shower and reading the morning papers before arrival ontarget.

your rifle is capable, but Marky Mark has to make your wind call for you.

When the next mission to the moon is actually to station targets.

-Ms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You shoot and a day later get hit in the back. </div></div>

Haha now that's funny!