• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You think you’re not being listened to?

Srgt. Hulka

Lighten Up Francis
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2014
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    This popped up on my Facebook within three minutes of my wife and I, sitting at the breakfast table, talking about paying off her student loan.

3A74DB66-D262-4A83-900C-DE4F2B880DD8.png

For sure you're being listened to. Some enterprising folks started talking about their (non-existent) cat in front of Alexa/Cirie/Smart TV/SmartPhone and made sure they did no searches or clicked on any ads beforehand. And sure enough, they started getting kitty litter and cat food ads.

I heard a CIA talking head say something like "30 years ago, we were talking about how to implant a chip in everybody's heads to figure out how to monitor their location and conversations, but now they all pay $1,000 voluntarily for the privilege of carrying it in their pockets."

Buddies and I were joking about a safer way to deliver coins to the bums on the corner. Slingshots came up in our conversation. Perfect, that way they would not have stumble thru traffic to get the coins. That night I checked Email, yep, ads for TACTICAL SLINGSHOTS.

Reactions: TACC
    Buddies and I were joking about a safer way to deliver coins to the bums on the corner. Slingshots came up in our conversation. Perfect, that way they would not have stumble thru traffic to get the coins. That night I checked Email, yep, ads for TACTICAL SLINGSHOTS.
    Hopefully youre joking. If not was that thru your phone or something like Alexa?

Same thing happened to me recently.

Was golfing with the wife and a friend of ours, and our friend mentioned using an air fryer. Up to that point, I've never researched or even heard of an air fryer. Low and behold, an article about air fryer recipes popped up on my google news feed later that day.

There's been numerous incidences that have occurred, the above being the most recent that I can remember.

This shouldn't come up as much of a surprise. We've lost all privacy with new tech, and in a lot of cases we've willingly given away some of our most personal information to these companies.

Remember, with big tech, YOU are the product.

This popped up on my Facebook within three minutes of my wife and I, sitting at the breakfast table, talking about paying off her student loan.

View attachment 7580322

What I don't get is why anyone would even question as to whether or not this type of thing is actually going on.

It is and it is only getting worse. Our collective frog is being boiled......

This isn't new. Youtube is the most noticeable to me. I will be talking to my wife about something and refresh the home menu on youtube and sure enough there will be video recommendations on whatever we are talking about. We've tested it many times and it never fails.
    It seems to happen on my youtube feed and not hers.

Several years ago, a friend (living in Guam at the time) and I were using email to stay in touch and the topic of our dogs came up. I said mime was pretty damned smart, especially considering his brain is the size of a golf ball, maybe I should have named him Calloway. I have only golfed about 6 times in my entire life and that was decades ago in college. I NEVER search for or look at golf stuff on the internet. Yet, sure enough, I started getting all sorts of ads for golf gear. That was Gmail and Google Chrome. I stopped using Gmail and deleted Chrome, don't use Google to search with, don't use MS stuff for the internet, took the Apple pod thing to the garage so it can play music but otherwise be isolated. I now get almost zero spam in my email and rarely see ads that I would consider to be targeting me.
    The fact that not just our government is spying on us should not come as a surprise, the technological advances have been astounding in the 37 years since 1984.

This is nothing new or even all that hidden.
    Facebook literally brags to their advertisers that they are always listening if folks have a FB app on their phone.
    It's something FB charges their advertisers a premium for, claiming that since you were just talking about it, you might want to buy it if you see an ad right away...

Amazon Alexa and the google home devices are just as bad.

Reactions: Bender
    Several years ago, a friend (living in Guam at the time) and I were using email to stay in touch and the topic of our dogs came up. I said mime was pretty damned smart, especially considering his brain is the size of a golf ball, maybe I should have named him Calloway. I have only golfed about 6 times in my entire life and that was decades ago in college. I NEVER search for or look at golf stuff on the internet. Yet, sure enough, I started getting all sorts of ads for golf gear. That was Gmail and Google Chrome. I stopped using Gmail and deleted Chrome, don't use Google to search with, don't use MS stuff for the internet, took the Apple pod thing to the garage so it can play music but otherwise be isolated. I now get almost zero spam in my email and rarely see ads that I would consider to be targeting me.
    The fact that not just our government is spying on us should not come as a surprise, the technological advances have been astounding in the 37 years since 1984.

Did you pay anything for your Gmail account or your Chrome Web Browser?

Google openly says they scan your e-mails when you use Gmail and use that to sell advertising...

After the woman goes to bed, I whisper shit like “reloading components, tac gear, night force scopes, dual tube night vision, suppressors, handgun ammunition” and shit like that into her phone. She hasn’t said anything about ads yet but I’m waiting and hope she doesn’t figure out why it’s happening.

It’s not theory conjecture or conspiracy. Facebook Apple google all admit that they’re listening to our conversations and using key words for targeting advertising.

The one that cracks me up is if I buy something on Amazon, they start spamming me with ads for the same thing.......

Uhhh, Einstein......I just bought that. I will only ever need one in my lifetime.

We had a friend who's college graduate son was supposed to be some kind of math prodigy and was picked up by Amazon. I always laughed inside when she'd be braggin' on him about all these wonderful (advertising)"algorithms" he was writing and that he was hand picked by Bezos. Who. Fucking. Cares ? You mean the same algorithms that Spam me on something I've already bought ? Yeah, good job Bunkie, keep up the good work..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
    Who else sometimes makes the mistake of opening Microsoft edge by mistake for an internet browser and then the homepage is always full of targeted ads for some type of night vision and thermal mixed in with the other articles haha

I use edge all the time, I just set my home page to custom with nothing showing and don't get anything but a background picture and a search bar.

Yup, you can just imagine the rain man lookalikes doing something like this lol

it’s been years since I’ve used Amazon but that’s a good point especially if it’s something like a coffee maker or something along those lines where you literally would get ads for the exact same product you just bought where you won’t need another one unless it breaks instead of things like coffee beans etc that you would actually be buying after you buy the coffee maker

I’ve had co workers say they were talking about pre natal vitamins then got ads for things like cribs so maybe the “algorithm” is better with some products more than others haha
    Dim-witted, algorithm writing son or not, one thing's for sure. They will get "better" at it.

Gee, I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

Was talking to my GF about plate carriers. She thought they were something that allowed people to carry multiple plates ( ie: dinner plates ). Within minutes she started getting slammed with Ads from Spartan Plate Carriers. She has a Apple IPhone , I have a ‘droid. I don’t believe in coincidences to begin with , now for damn sure not.
    👎

Did you pay anything for your Gmail account or your Chrome Web Browser?

Google openly says they scan your e-mails when you use Gmail and use that to sell advertising...
    No, that was the free versions of those. I have no reason to believe Google would not charge you a fee and then do the same nefarious shit.
    I now use the paid version of Protonmail, Firefox browser with some privacy extensions, DuckDuckGo and usually, but not always, Nord VPN I paid for. I've been toying with the VPN that Protonmail has, also. That was about 2015 and I've been happy with the change but I am also much more vigilant now, too.
    Edited to say: This site is as close as I get to "social media". No FB, IG, anything...

Last edited:
    If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly encourage you to watch "Social Dilemma" on Netflix. Might be on other video/tv services, but it's worth a watch. FB and Google know damn near everything about you, where you go and what you say....It's downright frightening.

Got a message from Amazon app that an Item I had been searching was on sale. While standing in line at Staples to buy said item.

Immediately uninstalled the app went home and murdered Alexa.

• Haha
    Reactions: whiskeytower
    This is like something on a black and white episode of The Twilight Zone I saw as a little kid in the 60's. It was a story of a man in some communist shithole where cameras and voice recorders monitored every move and conversation anyone spoke.

He got the hots for a lady and started a secret affair with her. He also shared a secret which was a fear of rats.
    He would slip her messages on the floor out of camera view and the government's eye and it was assumed he was successful but in the end it showed he wasn't. They saw and heard everything, including him criticizing the government and how he planned to escape.

He was arrested and the final scene showed him as a frantic lunatic, stuck in a cage full of rats crawling all over him.

I was telling my sister about the devices listening. So we changed our conversation to Spanish to prove it. A couple hours later she was getting ads in Spanish on her phone. She doesn't even have a translator app on her phone.

^^^ All the above? Thats fucked up.

We had a family get together a couple of weeks back. My phone was on the kitchen counter while we were eating lunch. My Mom was wanting to sell her car and buy a jeep. My Grandpa was talking about something he saw on TV about Tom Brady's rookie baseball card.

Looking on my Facebook Marketplace later that evening...used Jeeps for sale and Brady's baseball card were at the top of the list.

Wife and I went antique shopping and I bought a Jadeite soap dish. I had a long conversation with the shop owner about the piece. I didn't bring my phone, but my wife did. Her FB was full of sales ads for the exact piece I bought.

They see, hear and know everything you say, do, buy and places you go.

I don't get any of this shit but I don't use facebook, google or any of that shit. I disabled the camera and tape it, no mic or driver for it to work. It doesn't keep any history.

The only thing I cant' stop is the shit they put in at the factory that you apparently can't get around.

The phone thing is different. But I don't really use it that much.

And I will tell you this: you will pay dearly for that convenience, anything this shit does that you think makes life convenient comes at a VERY high price, so yeah, the phone is worse and "Alexa" is worse than that.

Nobody wanted to listen to me when I warned 'em of this shit, hell, they didn't listen to Snowden and he WORKED there! Not that long ago I was ridiculed for being paranoid of technology. Yeah, paranoid of technology. Like I'm afraid of fucking transistors or some shit.

By nature of what it is, if you have enabled voice services (think; Siri) on your phone -- it has to be listening to you, 100% of the time, in order to function. They've been caught multiple times sharing/selling/abusing this information. From phones to household appliances (Alexa/Voice/Etc) -- and that's the US based companies. If you own some Chicom trash security cameras or whatever, if it connects to the internet you can bet it's leaking data.

Absolutely, yes, they are listening to what you say. They sell it, use it, and you can bet the government has their hand in the cookie jar, too.

i don't think you have to enable anything on some devices but rather you have to disable them, if that is even possible.

The only thing I cant' stop is the shit they put in at the factory that you apparently can't get around.

If it's a PC or a laptop (NOT a tablet or phone), just do a fresh install of Linux and learn to use Linux and that will solve a lot of your spying problems.

Reactions: silentwoods
    I don't get any of this shit but I don't use facebook, google or any of that shit. I disabled the camera and tape it, no mic or driver for it to work. It doesn't keep any history.

And I will tell you this: you will pay dearly for that convenience, anything this shit does that you think makes life convenient comes at a VERY high price, so yeah, the phone is worse and "Alexa" is worse than that.

Nobody wanted to listen to me when I warned 'em of this shit, hell, they didn't listen to Snowden and he WORKED there! Not that long ago I was ridiculed for being paranoid of technology. Yeah, paranoid of technology. Like I'm afraid of fucking transistors or some shit.
    There are a multitude of things I don't post.

I don't have adult conversations re: old microwaves are handy, around phones. Most, but not all newer vehicles can be used to trace, track and listen to your conversation.

I'm about 90% out of the system. But that's not enough because the remaining ten percent is a CC, and a ton of info can be gleaned from that alone.

We will all pay very dearly, some just quicker than others for allowing this shit to happen.

Read "lizardfarmer, how they hunt" on the internet if you have questions.

I think this will come to a head easily before the next pres. Fraud show.

Very bad times coming, even the normie can feel that something isn't right in the U.S. today.

Reactions: camotoe
    If it's a PC or a laptop (NOT a tablet or phone), just do a fresh install of Linux and learn to use Linux and that will solve a lot of your spying problems.
    I just bought a bad assed professional Dell laptop, used it twice so far, had it two months.

I'm familiar with this, but I don't know how to do it properly.

By nature of what it is, if you have enabled voice services (think; Siri) on your phone -- it has to be listening to you, 100% of the time, in order to function. They've been caught multiple times sharing/selling/abusing this information. From phones to household appliances (Alexa/Voice/Etc) -- and that's the US based companies. If you own some Chicom trash security cameras or whatever, if it connects to the internet you can bet it's leaking data.

Absolutely, yes, they are listening to what you say. They sell it, use it, and you can bet the government has their hand in the cookie jar, too.
    Fusion Centers aren't for the faint of heart.

I used to have a Facebook page. About 3 years ago, I shut it down.

My wife was asking me what I wanted for Valentines Day and I had made mention that I wanted a baseball cap with a specific logo on it. It was a gray cap with the old style Alabama Crimson Tide logo on it. I described it to her and told her that a I didn’t know where she could get it, but I know they made one because I saw a guy wearing one and really liked it.

Sure as the sun comes up, she got on Facebook on her phone later that afternoon and an ad for the EXACT hat I had described to her was in her feed.

Mind you: I didn’t search up a picture and show her....I simply described it. Her phone or my phone was listening or something.

I shut down my Facebook the next day.

That’s BS and I ain’t playin’.....at least not knowingly.

I just bought a bad assed professional Dell laptop, used it twice so far, had it two months.

I'm familiar with this, but I don't know how to do it properly.

Generally very easy.

IF you want to stay with Windows, you can go to Microsoft and download a clean ISO for Windows 10 directly from them (assuming professional, not workstation) and then install that which gets rid of all the Dell stuff (you'll need to load drivers manually), so all you have is the Microsoft built in spyware and not any of the OEM BS.

IF you want to go with Linux and own your own OS and all that good freedom stuff, it's a matter of picking your distro, downloading the ISO and installing it.
    if it's your first go at Linux, then I'd suggest this one: Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (64-bit) - Linux Mint
    If you like being a more rugged individualist and want to give the finger to IBM / Pottering, then go with: Welcome to devuan.org | Devuan GNU+Linux Free Operating System
    If you want to browse the endless distributions, go here: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Depending on which model (if you post the exact model, I can let you know), you may be able to add a second or 3rd drive to it & then run multiple Operating systems on it & choose which one you want to boot to.

You can also have Linux and Windows on the same drive with a boot menu, but that requires a re-install of both from scratch.

Generally very easy.

IF you want to stay with Windows, you can go to Microsoft and download a clean ISO for Windows 10 directly from them (assuming professional, not workstation) and then install that which gets rid of all the Dell stuff (you'll need to load drivers manually), so all you have is the Microsoft built in spyware and not any of the OEM BS.

IF you want to go with Linux and own your own OS and all that good freedom stuff, it's a matter of picking your distro, downloading the ISO and installing it.
    if it's your first go at Linux, then I'd suggest this one: Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (64-bit) - Linux Mint
    If you like being a more rugged individualist and want to give the finger to IBM / Pottering, then go with: Welcome to devuan.org | Devuan GNU+Linux Free Operating System
    If you want to browse the endless distributions, go here: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Depending on which model (if you post the exact model, I can let you know), you may be able to add a second or 3rd drive to it & then run multiple Operating systems on it & choose which one you want to boot to.

You can also have Linux and Windows on the same drive with a boot menu, but that requires a re-install of both from scratch.
    He's right, you know.

And not only that,,,,, I've seen it happen with my own two eyes. A computer that 'goes both ways' and whatnot. Unimaginable. But it works. As it is though, we here only run Linux and have had FAR FAR less problems than when we each ran WindowToHell.

Reactions: silentwoods
    I have never had a conversational item pop up on my ads. I don't use Siri, Alexa, or Google and I don't load apps on my phone. I just want a damn phone, I already have too many laptops.

Now this Zoom and Microsoft Teams stuff, I do wonder about. I don't think there is a secure comm link anywhere.

Can 'they' hear you and track you with Bill Gate's Mark of the Beast chip implant?

Serious question, I bet they can. Nothings too weird to suppose anymore.

If implanted in the skull they could control you like a drone.