• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your “go to” hunting rifle?

Over the last 50+ years I have tried about everything. Today for my hunting I mostly use a KAC SR-15 lower with a KAC URX 3.1 rail and Proof 18" .223 barrel. NF 2.5-10x24 in ARMS med mounts. 77 SMK. It does about all I need, is light and reliable.

Last edited:
Over the last 50+ years I have tried about everything. Today for my hunting I mostly use a KAC SR-15 lower with a KAC URX 3.1 rail and Proof 18" .223 barrel. NF 2.5-10x32 in ARMS med mounts. 77 SMK. It does about all I need, is light and reliable.
Pics. Sounds like a sweet rifle.

My Blaser R-93 in 300 Wby mag Took most of my big game animals over the last 30-35 years. Got a 243 barrel and a 6,5 x 284 barrel too, all topped w Swarovski. All the barrels shoot great for factory equipment with hand loads. I’m color blind so the 300 keeps tracking to a minimum.

Reactions: ZG47A
I have been carrying my dad's old 30-30 Marlin for 41 years, never let me down. This is great in the brush and good for 200 yards with Hornaday ammo.

Reactions: 65x55guy and ZG47A
'90s Ruger M77 MKII stainless 30-06 flavor, dropped plenty critters in the past on stock stuff. Recent upgrades in Ziess optics, and a Houge full bed stock. Not light in my mind but the recoil rides like a 70's Cadillac. I got tired of dropping ground hogs with it, so I went to a R700 .223 for a bit of a challenge. For no good reason I'm getting on the 6.5CM wagon so I'll have some more ammo to buy.

From the blind I use my Remington Model 660 Mohawk 308. If Im stalking through the thick East Texas brush I have my Ruger mini 14 with iron sights. Both are great guns

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 140
My go to rifle when the shtf is my
Magpul/Remy .308 with a customized action. Never failed me and the ammo is plentiful

7908D3B0-3C78-4D7D-8455-5E3F0763D164.jpeg
Mostly model 70 in 308 on the top.

Toss up between that and my model 1999 in 358win in the bottom. Father in law has the scope of that one now so I really need to get another...

My favorite all time is a hart heavy varmint barreled Remington 700 in 25/06. I have flat out whacked them and stacked them over the years with that rifle. Last weekend my Tikka 260 got the call.
IMG_9863.jpg

I've got a Bergara Ridge 7mm mag that I'll be taking after elk this year, I plan to do a 7 saum build that I'll take next year. Season starts on Wednesday!

20180907_164254.jpg

Reactions: xsn10s
Mostly hunt Ohio deer and groundhogs. I also go to Canada for black bear. Deer and Black bear, I use a Thompson encore in 45-70 (Ohio) is a straight walled cartridge. I have an E Arthur Brown Company 24 inch stainless fluted barrel with a Burris xtr 2 3.5x15 Gb2 reticle. I shoot it out to 600 at thunder valley and with the 325 ftx bullets. I have only tracked one deer 50 yards. They usually dont go anywhere once I shoot them. In the Summer its an Anschutz 1517 17hmr and I kill about 100 groundhogs a year. Its topped off with Burris xtr 2 5x25.

Reactions: deersniper
I primarily bow hunt but this is this years go to rifle. My mother in law sat in a blind with me and dropped a wounded 3 year old at 400 yards with it. 285 ELDM’s make baseball sized holes.....not a fan of tracking blood lol

RBros 338 RUM
Defiance
Proof
Timney CE
Manners PRS

5CDB72CF-1829-4EA6-8E71-A1CDC1451E16.jpeg

I primarily bow hunt but this is this years go to rifle. My mother in law sat in a blind with me and dropped a wounded 3 year old at 400 yards with it. 285 ELDM’s make baseball sized holes.....not a fan of tracking blood lol

RBros 338 RUM
Defiance
Proof
Timney CE
Manners PRS

View attachment 6972910
That is an AWESOME rig!!!!

Reactions: OH58DViper
Anybody know where NOBODY hangs out these days? Seems like he was always killing a bunch of animals and I’d like to see what he was using.

Reactions: deersniper
Depends on the situation. Biggest thing I hunt is elk.

If I'm hunting thick timber or brush, I tend to carry my Winchester Featherweight 30-06 or my Browning BLR Lever Action .308, both highly effective, however I lose confidence beyond 300 yards.

If I anticipate taking a shot over 200 yards I tend to pack my 6.5 creedmoor, AR 10. Took two elk with it this year. Not as easy packing as my sporter rifles, weighs in at 13.5 lbs, but it's manageable.

If I think I may be taking anything beyond 800 yards I pack my 300 Win Mag, built on an AI chassis. It weighs 14.5 lbs, not a pleasure to carry but it's manageable. Last week I was packing it into the High Uintahs in Utah, expecting to possibly take a shot at an elk at over 1000 yards. Turns out I found them in the quakies, took a shot off-hand at 85 yards. It got the job done.

Like most of you guys I have many rifles, but as many of them i have my favorite go to is a ruger 77 ultralight in .308. 20 inch barrel and accurate enough to do the job on our whitetails here in Alabama. It has put many deer to cubesteak and deerburger.

I have many "fancy deer" rifles but the one that I always seem gravitate towards is a 70s era 700 ADL 30-06 with a cheapie Bushnell Banner that I added as a broke teenager that once belonged to one of my deceased uncles. I'm 32 now and I have been hunting with this rifle since I was 13. Maybe it's nostalgia or extreme familiarization, but I've killed more deer than I can remember with this setup and I wouldn't hesitate to carry this rifle anywhere. Something about this combo just feels right / perfect in my hands and when I shoulder it.

Reactions: houtdoor
Depends on the situation. Biggest thing I hunt is elk.

If I'm hunting thick timber or brush, I tend to carry my Winchester Featherweight 30-06 or my Browning BLR Lever Action .308, both highly effective, however I lose confidence beyond 300 yards.

If I anticipate taking a shot over 200 yards I tend to pack my 6.5 creedmoor, AR 10. Took two elk with it this year. Not as easy packing as my sporter rifles, weighs in at 13.5 lbs, but it's manageable.

If I think I may be taking anything beyond 800 yards I pack my 300 Win Mag, built on an AI chassis. It weighs 14.5 lbs, not a pleasure to carry but it's manageable. Last week I was packing it into the High Uintahs in Utah, expecting to possibly take a shot at an elk at over 1000 yards. Turns out I found them in the quakies, took a shot off-hand at 85 yards. It got the job done.
Ok fine, you got me, I'm interested. Post some pics of that AR and the .300!

I built a 30-06 using a M70 push feed long action, McMillan A1 stock, and a Krieger #5 contour barrel at 26". With RL22 and Sierra 200s I get 300WM performance out of it. It's a compromise weight-wise between a standard hunting rifle and a heavy LR hunter, still plenty capable to 800 yards under field conditions. M70s have a "real" safety, something to consider.

Reactions: ZG47A
When I'm not using a bow, my go-to is a CVA Apex in .35 Whelen. I started using it when it became legal for "primative" season in Louisiana, and haven't found a reason to use anything else. With 200 grain Accubonds @ 2900 fps I have never had to follow a blood trail, or needed a second shot.
cva.jpg

When I'm not using a bow, my go-to is a CVA Apex in .35 Whelen. I started using it when it became legal for "primative" season in Louisiana, and haven't found a reason to use anything else. With 200 grain Accubonds @ 2900 fps I have never had to follow a blood trail, or needed a second shot.
View attachment 6976649
My 358win is a fair bit slower shooting 250s but I’ve never had one take a step with that one

Reactions: Alabusa
Custom remington 700 243 win and a ruger American predator 6.5 cm. Deer coyote critters.

I have many "fancy deer" rifles but the one that I always seem gravitate towards is a 70s era 700 ADL 30-06 with a cheapie Bushnell Banner that I added as a broke teenager that once belonged to one of my deceased uncles. I'm 32 now and I have been hunting with this rifle since I was 13. Maybe it's nostalgia or extreme familiarization, but I've killed more deer than I can remember with this setup and I wouldn't hesitate to carry this rifle anywhere. Something about this combo just feels right / perfect in my hands and when I shoulder it.
A lot of times it is the rifle set up we are most comfortable with. I use my Mohawk .308 with a VX 3 3-9x40, which my son does not like much. My son on the other hand slays the deer regular with his H&R Handi-Rifle in .243 with the same scope.

Reactions: Alabusa