• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your “go to” hunting rifle?

A lot of times it is the rifle set up we are most comfortable with. I use my Mohawk .308 with a VX 3 3-9x40, which my son does not like much. My son on the other hand slays the deer regular with his H&R Handi-Rifle in .243 with the same scope.
Yes I definately agree, my dad has preached this shoot one rifle philosophy to me all my life. But there's definitely some real merit to it, he's been shooting the same Browning BAR since the beginning of time (the early 80'S) lol.

Reactions: Alabusa
When I'm not using a bow, my go-to is a CVA Apex in .35 Whelen. I started using it when it became legal for "primative" season in Louisiana, and haven't found a reason to use anything else. With 200 grain Accubonds @ 2900 fps I have never had to follow a blood trail, or needed a second shot.
View attachment 6976649

How well do you like and does that "Tackdriver" work?

Dang.. didn't know the ridge came in 7mm! Might have to pick one up

I took it everywhere, kinda a beast for elk. It's never good to put your gun away when your elk hunting but some ridges were needed full attention and an 11lb gun doesn't help. But for the most part it was OK.
20181114_082308.jpg

How well do you like and does that "Tackdriver" work?

Accuracy was ok with 180 - 200 grain factory ammo. When I started hand-loading for it, I discovered the SAAMI specs were designed around a 250 grain bullet. Lighter bullets need to be loaded much longer to get close to the lands and now easlily holds under 1 MOA. I took a 240 lb. 11-point with it 4 years ago, bang-flop.

Reactions: Alabusa
Night hunters shoot at much shorter average distances ... due to the stealth enhancement received by the darkness ... I've used larger calibers like 6.5 and 7.62 but in the past two years have strickly used 5.56(10.3) for hogs, yotes, coons and opossum ...

Yote shot at 205 yds ...
a1LmGEB.jpg

2 sows and 2 piglets distances from 40yds to 200yds ...
bGsg0ut.jpg

44078236160_7d73c04d35_k.jpg

30955549347_97d184fae5_k.jpg

I use 62gr TSX for hogs, to gain more penetration ... and 77gr SMK for everything else due to good fragmentation at short distance.

The range finder allows me to pass the range to the team, the range finder is zeroed to the mk3 60mm thermal reticle.
I zero at 50yds ... and my holds are, flat out to 175yds ... 6 inches up at 200yds, 12 inches at 250yds and 20 inches at 300yds, which is as far as I shoot with this weapon.

The smaller lighter gun, increases mobility and allows faster movement, easier fence crossings, faster movement up and down hills, etc.

Last edited:
Rem 700 in 260 rem. Took its first deer this hunting season. Looks like it's going to be my main hunting rifle for some time. Although I think my 243 win (1st rifle I owned) will make appearances during deer seasons.

Attachments

• 20171012_132637.jpg
    20171012_132637.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: BCX and JimLee
fantastic box blind gun. 18” 308 gap. gladius spec with exception of an upgrade to the templar. even suppressed its a breeze to swing in and out of windows

originally had 4-16 f1 on it. currently sits with 5-20 US. cant go wrong with either

Attachments

• 45D2B834-F21F-4853-B332-3B912CFD11E9.jpeg
    45D2B834-F21F-4853-B332-3B912CFD11E9.jpeg
    495.5 KB · Views: 199
My favorite rifle for white tail (biggest game in northwest Indiana) is my Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308, topped off with a Burris scout scope.

I can't say enough about the Ruger American Predator in .308.

I've had mine for less than a year and it's a lightweight, accurate, and versatile rifle. I've posted on several threads here about it, but I have it suppressed, topped with a Vortex Viper HS, mildot reticle with mil adjustments, SFP (for weight). I put a Timney trigger on it (didn't help with closing up groups anymore, but felt WAY better). Shoots sub MOA as it is. The stock needed some modification (half an hour with a rotary tool and some sandpaper). I ran some old Double Tap 180 Nosler Accubonds through it this hunting season and the effects were devastating.

This is one of two elk taken with it this year. Mine was at 280 yards. Perfect broadside, exit wound shot (will probably use Hornady 165s or 150s for cow next time).

Sans the can, it's just over 7.5 lbs.

Not a rifle you necessarily are eager to show your friends, but it gets the job done.

I'm not a terribly good shot. This little rifle proved itself this year.

Best part, it's $450 at your local Sportsman's Warehouse. Timney is $100...under six bills plus glass ($500 or so) so you're looking at about a $1k build sans suppressor. There are probably rifles out there that are better for less or equal to the RAP, but I'm satisfied.

Pic one is of initial sighting in with a Zeiss scope.

Second is about 5 minutes after my only shot of the day.

Third is after she was skinned that shows the exit wound.

124360738122702601 (1).jpgIMG_20181019_083046080_HDR.jpg1019181634_HDR.jpg

Wow I thought we were supposed to be talking big bore.... IDK but I always figured Big Bore was over 35 caliber, certainly over 30 caliber. Sure I love my 7-08s and 308s and even my 30-06; but I always figured they were mediums???

I sorta ascribe to 375H&H being the "One Planet, One Rifle, One Cartridge". My pair for anything in Afrika is a Ruger77 in 375H&H with a 1-4x scope with a No4 reticle AND a Merkle SxS in 470Nitro. I had a Ruger No1 converted by JD Jones to 577Nitro but never hunted with it. I want a 4 Bore, its on my list....

I had a Sabatti SxS in 9.3x74R. Im really sorry I sold it. It has a PERFECT Wild Boar gun. It also a better Double Rifle cartridge (9.3x74R is rimmed VS the Belt on 375H&H). I sold it because 9.3x74R isn't legal for Dangerous game in South Afrika (the minimum is 375H&H).

Ive always wanted a Drilling but I cant decide if I want a double shotgun over a single rifle barrel (9.3x74R) or a double rifle over a single 12ga barrel.

I had high hopes for the Triple Barreled shotgun that came out a few years ago. If they had made it with a RIFLED barrel on top (with a dedicated trigger for it) and two smooth bore barrels; it would have been my one gun for the lower 48.

I wish somebody would do a SxS 20ga with rifled barrels OR one rifled and one smooth bore

I am rather partial to this one - a 700 in McMillan Sporter with a 24” benchmark #5 chambered in 300 win mag, wearing an S&B PMII fixed power 6x42 with P3. The muzzle is threaded because I always shoot it with an AAC 300-TM.

300wm6x.jpg

Rem 700 built by Clarence Hammonds. 260 Rem.

Attachments

• 2017-07-18_09-17-34.jpg
    2017-07-18_09-17-34.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 2017-07-18_09-17-20.jpg
    2017-07-18_09-17-20.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: Bakwa and BCX
Tikka T3 has been working for me.

Good for those with a lower budget.

Mine keeps 3 shots under 2” at 300. Thats about as far as I shoot for hunting. Drops em all dead.

Also just had a Sako A7 in ‘06 fall in my lap. Buddy got a lefty and wanted it gone. Its a hammer too. Have shot it a couple times when it was his.

Might have to save up for a GAP like @psinclair , he is always posting up amazing stuff.

Prolly more indian than the arrow though........?

Tikka T3 has been working for me.

Good for those with a lower budget.

Mine keeps 3 shots under 2” at 300. Thats about as far as I shoot for hunting. Drops em all dead.

Also just had a Sako A7 in ‘06 fall in my lap. Buddy got a lefty and wanted it gone. Its a hammer too. Have shot it a couple times when it was his.

Might have to save up for a GAP like @psinclair , he is always posting up amazing stuff.

Prolly more indian than the arrow though........?

??? Pat has never given me bad advice.

1970s Wby Mark V lightweight in 340Wby topped with a Leupold FX3 Alaskan scope running 250gr Partitions at 2925fps. Unfortunately the recoil is way too much for me at my age. Now its just a boring 308.

WW II era Mauser sporterized into 30-06 with a set trigger. Not fancy but it drops fur.

My formula is a Manners EH1a, Defiance Deviant Hunter, 22" Proof Carbon Fiber Barrel, Badger M5, Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18. All in a .300 Win Mag. Shooting 185 VLDs or 195 ELDm. Plenty of knockdown power and manageable to shoot suppressed. Comes in at 10.5lbs, which is the perfect weight for me. I have tried the ultra lite guns and I just don't feel steady when I shoot them, they feel like toys to me. Been experimenting with the 6mm and 6.5 variants the last few years and came full circle back to the .300 winny. 6s and 6.5s did do fantastic though, mostly on cow elk. Actually all on cow elk. I mainly bowhunt, but do enjoy filling the freezer with a cow if I can.

Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. Just upgraded to a rail and Seekins rings for a 4x14 Vortex scope. Also upgraded the recoil lug, bolt shroud and recoil pad. Then made the bolt pretty via LRI. Next upgrade coming soon will be to add a muzzle break.
20190401_143138.jpg

Currently and for a long time into the future its going to be my new as of last September Cooper M92 Backcountry in 280AI. Shoots and carries like a dream. Currently has a Vortex Razor HD LH on it but I'm looking at replacing it with a 4-16x42 ATACR or the new 2.5-20x50 NX8 soon.

HNm7ran.jpg

My Winchester M70 pushfeed 30-06 FWT. It came from the factory with a McMillan stock which I had a Sim recoil pad added on. the glass is an old VariXIII 2.5-8x with Premier Reticle mildot. Not too light or heavy it's my go to rifle. I bought it with a pitted barrel which I intended to rebarrel. But it shot well enough so been using it for a decade as is. But lately I've been lusting after a 7mmm Rem Mag with 180gr ELDM's. I dunno why, even though I practice out some the farthest I've shot big game is 125 yards.

In chronological order of my go to deer hunting rifles:
Winchester model 70 classic DBM .270 Win w Leupold VXII 3x9 used this for about 10 years. Used Winchester 130 gr. Powerpoints

Browning A bolt Stainless Stalker .243 win Leupold VX III 4-12 used one season. Used 95 grain ballistic tips

HS Precision 300 WSM Peo 2000 Shepherd 3-10. Used this bout 10 years. First gun I felt comfortable placing shots to the head, shoulder etc. with. Hand loaded 167 grain Barnes TTSX. These bullets can take out both shoulders on any size deer in SD.

SAC (Mark Gordon) .243 on a Stiller with a US Optics 3-17 and a Desert Tech covert .243 win 16” Premier Heritage 3-15. Using these for last few years. Loads are hand rolled 115 DTACs which have performed well.

Have also used a TS customs 7MMLRM, Desert Tech 7MMLRM AND .308 Win to take deer as well but mainly just the does, which require head shots to keep it sporting.

Gonna get some time behind my Q Fix in 6.5Creed and this may make a few hunts this year. First 6.5 Creedmoor so got to build some trust before it gets called up for Buck season bit this platform is very light and easy handling and is pretty compact.

Holland & Holland. I forget the model. I just use it. Truck gun.

I haven't hunted since my move from NY to AZ, and the Win 70 Featherweight 30-06 that was my favorite 'practical' bolt gun has been handed down to my descendants.

But just because I don't hunt now doesn't mean I'll never hunt again, and I'm doing a back-burner project to bring along a substitute from the lower ranks, a Savage Axis II 30-06. If I can develop the means, I can still (perhaps) have some hope of keeping that oar in the water.

Oh yes, it's no win 70 Featherweight. But it's not chopped liver, either.

The Savage plastic Axis II stock is simply an abomination. Midway offers this replacement stock from Boyd's, and I've made that replacement. Simply put, the stock transforms the ergonomics and the appearance enough so that folks disbelieve me when I tell them it's an Axis II.

The Kaspa Scope and provided mounts were poor at best, and I've replaced mine with the an heirloom Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 in Vortex Hunter Rings atop an EGW aluminum 20MOA base. The transformation becomes successful at this point, while retaining the economical aspects of this project.

The rifle appears to become as light, maybe lighter, than the Win 70 Featherweight. No numbers, but subjectively, it's a lightweight.

My ability to tolerate recoil has become a joke, so I'm working on a 30-06 handload utilizing 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Not really heavily into that, so no results yet. A flatter trajectory should be likely.

It also occurs to me that maybe somebody makes a factory reduced recoil load.

That's where things stand for now.

Greg

Last edited:
I haven't hunted since my move from NY to AZ, and the Win 70 Featherweight 30-06 that was my favorite 'practical' bolt gun has been handed down to my descendants.

But just because I don't hunt now doesn't mean I'll never hunt again, and I'm doing a back-burner project to bring along a substitute from the lower ranks, a Savage Axis II 30-06. If I can develop the means, I can still (perhaps) have some hope of keeping that oar in the water.

Oh yes, it's no win 70 Featherweight. But it's not chopped liver, either.

The Savage plastic Axis II stock is simply an abomination. Midway offers this replacement stock from Boyd's, and I've made that replacement. Simply put, the stock transforms the ergonomics and the appearance enough so that folks disbelieve me when I tell them it's an Axis II.

The Kaspa Scope and provided mounts were poor at best, and I've replaced mine with the an heirloom Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 in Vortex Hunter Rings atop an EGW aluminum 20MOA base. The transformation becomes successful at this point, while retaining the economical aspects of this project.

The rifle appears to become as light, maybe lighter, than the Win 70 Featherweight. No numbers, but subjectively, it's a lightweight.

My ability to tolerate recoil has become a joke, so I'm working on a 30-06 handload utilizing 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Not really heavily into that, so no results yet. A flatter trajectory should be likely.

It also occurs to me that maybe somebody makes a factory reduced recoil load.

That's where things stand for now.

Greg
I think Remington's reduced recoil load was the lightest load. Slower than even many 308 win loads. Although the 30-125gr BT's would probably very light recoiling.

I thought I was going to get a Barrett Fieldcraft rifle in 6.5CM. Due to my elk hunt this fall, I decided to go with a Cooper M52 in .30-06 instead since I'll feel more comfortable using that on elk. I'll still get a Fieldcraft in the future since it's the perfect whitetail/antelope rifle but for now the Cooper will be my go-to.

My all time favorite farm rifle was a Remington Woodsmaster that my older brother let me borrow that I've now had for about 7 years. I highly recommend one in .30-06. Did amazing for everything. Deer, Coyotes, fox, raccoons etc.