• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your “go to” hunting rifle?

My semi custom do it all rifle, the top one in the picture. Sako TRG-S 300WM built by GA Precision, 24" Christensen carbon barrel, McMillan sako varmint edge stock with triad stock pack. Has a leupold vx6 3-18×50 on a near rail and mountaintech rings. With the suppressor on its 10lbs ready to hunt.

The bottom is my GO WEST rifle, a TL custom action fitted with a benchmark 338 9.3" twist 338RUM barrel at 28", Beast 5 port brake, Manners EH1 stock, and currently wearing a SWFA ss HD 5-20. All in that rifle weighs 11.5lbs ready to hunt. Also built by GA.

Attachments

• 20180923_221003.jpg
    20180923_221003.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 255
Reactions: BCX
Win. Model 94 Tirdy Tirdy.. Lol. Actually I usually grab the 450 Bushmaster AR, since I gravitate to the thickets.

I haven't hunted since my move from NY to AZ, and the Win 70 Featherweight 30-06 that was my favorite 'practical' bolt gun has been handed down to my descendants.

But just because I don't hunt now doesn't mean I'll never hunt again, and I'm doing a back-burner project to bring along a substitute from the lower ranks, a Savage Axis II 30-06. If I can develop the means, I can still (perhaps) have some hope of keeping that oar in the water.

Oh yes, it's no win 70 Featherweight. But it's not chopped liver, either.

The Savage plastic Axis II stock is simply an abomination. Midway offers this replacement stock from Boyd's, and I've made that replacement. Simply put, the stock transforms the ergonomics and the appearance enough so that folks disbelieve me when I tell them it's an Axis II.

The Kaspa Scope and provided mounts were poor at best, and I've replaced mine with the an heirloom Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 in Vortex Hunter Rings atop an EGW aluminum 20MOA base. The transformation becomes successful at this point, while retaining the economical aspects of this project.

The rifle appears to become as light, maybe lighter, than the Win 70 Featherweight. No numbers, but subjectively, it's a lightweight.

My ability to tolerate recoil has become a joke, so I'm working on a 30-06 handload utilizing 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Not really heavily into that, so no results yet. A flatter trajectory should be likely.

It also occurs to me that maybe somebody makes a factory reduced recoil load.

That's where things stand for now.

Greg

Greg

Bob Forker developed a series of low-recoil hunting loads using a ‘Recoil Analysis Fixture’ at the G & A ballistics lab. He published a two page article in Guns & Ammo January 2006 with load data and Power Factors with the 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip .30-06 running from 256,000 to 294,000. I can scan and send the article or simply give you the .30-06 data. Send me a PM if interested.

May favorite hunting rifle is my M1a with a Leopold Mk4 4.5x15x50 on it. Have taken whitetail, javilina, antelope and elk with it since I bought it new in 2000. It used to love federal 150 gr ballistic tip until I re-barreled it and upgraded to a NM. Now it favorite is 168gr. Won’t shoot the 150’s worth a dam. Still have a bunch of that 150gr lying around.

Deserttech srs a1. 300 Norma topped with nightforce atacr

I have lots of rifles in lots of different calibers but if I had to pick just one of my guns I’d probably keep my Winchester 70 extreme weather 30-06.

Currently and for a long time into the future its going to be my new as of last September Cooper M92 Backcountry in 280AI. Shoots and carries like a dream. Currently has a Vortex Razor HD LH on it but I'm looking at replacing it with a 4-16x42 ATACR or the new 2.5-20x50 NX8 soon.

HNm7ran.jpg

Wound up going with an AMG, don't have a current pic, but here is one from my last elk hunt (first hunt with this rifle) with a Zeiss V6 and the last rusted ass pair of Warne rings I'll ever own:

HNm7ran.jpg

Edit: Thats weird, didn't appear like my original post had a pic on it. My bad!

Reactions: JakeM
So I usually hunt with my SRS, but last year I broke tradition and went the whole season with my newest addition to the family.
Its a custom Tikka T3 with a 22" Xcaliber 7 twist 25 Creedmoor on a KRG Bravo, it shoots 131 Blackjack Ace's at 2930fps, which has basically the same trajectory as my 7 SAUM with the recoil of a .243, which the boys enjoyed. It is stupid accurate, and flat AF.
34485mt.jpg

34zaws0.jpg

So every deer and elk we pointed it at died within a few steps of impact, if they didn't drop dead outright. In total, we shot three deer (600, 350, and 200yds) and two elk (300yds each) that both took a single shot to the neck and died:
14oena.jpg

b66hi8.jpg

The deer:
2elz5uc.jpg

28cprw3.jpg

23vdems.jpg

I also renewed an old love story with my MDR, I stuck the 308 barrel back in it and took it bear hunting. I love all three of these rifles, and wouldn't hesitate to take them on any of these Rocky Mountain hunts.

30hngk0.jpg

4sco4x.jpg

i have seen both Rem 700 in .308 and H&R 45-70 in action, top recommendations from me.

Lately all I have been hunting is Spring Bear and my go to hunting rifle is a Rem 700 in 375 Ruger, yes more than is needed for black bear but it puts 2 large holes in the bear from any angle. I shoot Hammer Sledge Hammers in it and really like the performance.

I am having an 30-06 FN commercial Mauser 98 (old enough to have a 3 digit serial number) rebored to 9.3 x 62 and barrel chopped to 20 inches I will also have a 3 position safety installed. The 9.3 x 62 will probably be my primary bear gun and the 375 Ruger will be a backup. I prefer Mausers or pre-64 Win 70s for hunting, I have a bunch of Mausers. I like CRF and mainly safeties that lock the firing pin, think about the amount of time you spend with a hunting gun in your hand having a safety that locks the firing pin is a good feature in my mind.

Reactions: xsn10s
Lately all I have been hunting is Spring Bear and my go to hunting rifle is a Rem 700 in 375 Ruger, yes more than is needed for black bear but it puts 2 large holes in the bear from any angle. I shoot Hammer Sledge Hammers in it and really like the performance.

I am having an 30-06 FN commercial Mauser 98 (old enough to have a 3 digit serial number) rebored to 9.3 x 62 and barrel chopped to 20 inches I will also have a 3 position safety installed. The 9.3 x 62 will probably be my primary bear gun and the 375 Ruger will be a backup. I prefer Mausers or pre-64 Win 70s for hunting, I have a bunch of Mausers. I like CRF and mainly safeties that lock the firing pin, think about the amount of time you spend with a hunting gun in your hand having a safety that locks the firing pin is a good feature in my mind.

I like Mausers too!

Heres my 7mm Rem Mag VZ.24 that was mostly a labor of love, since it was my first centerfire rifle.

31682989328_79b595eed6_h.jpg

Reactions: ZG47A and xsn10s
Killed a truck load of deer in Georgia with the same rifle. Gave a can full of M193 ammo for it and couple boxes of cartridges. Best trade I ever made
I shot a Marlin 30-30 for first 15 years I hunted deer in Georgia. Killed enough to stack like cord wood. All shots less than 100 yards in bottoms. Pops decided to cut timber at the farm a few years ago....Tikka CTR in 6.5 and I've stretched it out to 350 yards with several bucks....doing my best impression of "out west hunting" in south Georgia. Love the Tikka

Love the Marlin but can appreciate knowing its limitation. East Texas for me and I preferred a shotgun or 30-30.

I’ve hunted with my LR rifles, and will continue to do so occasionally (especially western hunts) but haven’t yet killed a big buck with them. When season opens I continually reach for my 30-06 BAR safari. It’s got some mediocre Cabelas scope on it that needs to be upgraded to real glass but man that thing just works and it’s like a good old boat that seems to raise fish. The deer just flock to that Browning.

Reactions: Genin and xsn10s
Ruger M77 MKII in 300wm has been my go to hunting rifle for about 14 years now. With a little trigger work and an HS Precison stock I am perfectly happy.

I'm a Florida hunter. That means i spend 1/2 the time making sure my ThermaCell has enough fuel in it to keep the mosquitoes from carrying me off. In the thick brush i love my Marlin 30-30. If i'm shooting the fields, I tend to grab my trust old 700bdl in .308. I just can't make it go away :)

I'm a Florida hunter. That means i spend 1/2 the time making sure my ThermaCell has enough fuel in it to keep the mosquitoes from carrying me off. In the thick brush i love my Marlin 30-30. If i'm shooting the fields, I tend to grab my trust old 700bdl in .308. I just can't make it go away :)

Same here. Also a Tampa area resident.

It's easy to pick a rifle out west, just match the terrain. Here in FL, you could be hunting open fields with 800 yards of view or more. The next minute you can be under an oak hammock or walking a creek bed with 20 yards of visibility.

Thermacell is a life saver.

bunch of tampa guys. was raised there. now around gainesville. i don't suppose anyone has any info on hunting lodges. looking for a palce for the g.son and i this year.

Winchester 70 pre 64 style action 300wm is probably my favorite. But this year a 1970 model marlin 444 is gonna spend some time with me.

Recce rifle
16" Mike rock 5r 223 Wylde 1:8
Aero upper and lower..trued and glued
Burris 1.5-8
Vtac padded sling
SWR specwar 556 suppressor/brake
Giessle ssa-e trigger
JP bcg, buffer, buffer spring
Federal match 73 grain Berger

If I know I'm shooting an animal 200 yards and in I don't even consider another gun...it's just fun and easy..

Anything further and I grab the creedmoor if I want a gas gun or the 300prc if I want a bolt gun.

Bench

Deer and hogs mainly...they are Texas deer so not very big...but I have taken some very substantial sized hogs with them...there is a very audible thump when they hit at distance too unlike most 556/223 rounds

Bench

Do the hogs die easy when shot behind the shoulder/high shoulder, etc? Or are you doing headshots?

Do the hogs die easy when shot behind the shoulder/high shoulder, etc? Or are you doing headshots?
They go down easy..it's just like when people bucked the trend and started hunting with Sierra matchkings and discovered that they were devastating on flesh...they are supremely accurate, deliver energy, and expand while penetrating....I love them

I rarely do headshots on deer, probably 1 every 10 years....so, all deer shots are shoulders...a lot of hog shots are head and chest...for some reason I don't get a lot of broadside shots on hogs, the shot presents itself but I usually wait for a chest or headshot on hogs for no specific reason

Bench

Reactions: stello1001
They go down easy..it's just like when people bucked the trend and started hunting with Sierra matchkings and discovered that they were devastating on flesh...they are supremely accurate, deliver energy, and expand while penetrating....I love them

I rarely do headshots on deer, probably 1 every 10 years....so, all deer shots are shoulders...a lot of hog shots are head and chest...for some reason I don't get a lot of broadside shots on hogs, the shot presents itself but I usually wait for a chest or headshot on hogs for no specific reason

Bench

That's really good to know. I don't need any more rifles but my dad and I enjoy hunting a lot and I know he has been wanting a 22 cal for a while. It kinda gives me an excuse to build something haha.

Just took out my new 7 Sherman short mag. We took 5 animals, from 575 to 100 yards. Berger 180 vld were one and done.

Loved it. 3000 fps 180 vlds out of a short action.

I’ve really never had one primary hunting rifle as I keep buying, trying, trading, and selling. My oldest is a Marlin 336 .35rem that will always stay with me.

Saying that, I took advantage of a stupid good deal at Whittaker’s yesterday and will soon have a Barrett Fieldcraft 6mm Creed to play with. I picked a SHV 3-10x demo a while back that should be perfect for a lightweight, low recoil all around for any game east of the Mississippi.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
browning abolt 30-06. Its killed everything I've ever asked it to. Close, far, big, small. You can develop so many loads from ripping fast 120 gn to 220. Hard to find a more versatile caliber.

Leupold vx-3. 4.5-14. Smacked the shit out of it on a log when I slipped in a stream crossing. Held zero.

My Tikka T3 or Savage in .308...They are both blued. Not worried about getting them wet as I know how to completely strip and clean them to keep from rusting.

20161010_153349.jpg

Custom 280 AI built on a Rem. 721 action with a Rock Creek and parked in a Manners by Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles. This thing has been a laser beam of death since the day I got it...superbly accurate and the 180 Bergers it was throated for are devastating!

View attachment 7149079

Custom 280 AI built on a Rem. 721 action with a Rock Creek and parked in a Manners by Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles. This thing has been a laser beam of death since the day I got it...superbly accurate and the 180 Bergers it was throated for are devastating!
Nice rig. What velocity are you getting with the 180gr Bergers? TIA

1903 springfield with a whelen style stock, rebored to 35 whelen improved, fit with a redfield "peep" sight, and warne rings and bases holding a 6X scope. 158 FMJ pistol bullets for camp meat, 200 or 225 spire points for general use and 250 or 300 grain bullets for the big uns.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I'm right at 2792fps with the 180's and have a load with and S.D. of 6 and E.S. of 13. I just don't think it can get much better than that;)
Gotta inquire about your screen name. You spend any time jumping out of airplanes?

Gotta inquire about your screen name. You spend any time jumping out of airplanes?
Just a couple, few hundred times... I was pretty active in the sport scene from '93 to around 2005 then I kinda got away from it. I made the mistake of getting into instruction and it became a weekend job instead of fun,,