• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your all a bunch of women

Well dude is saying iraq, but video says Afghanistan. Which is it?

The Sergeant sounded like he was addressing a bunch of leftist basement dwellers about getting real jobs instead of being Twitch streamers and stop mooching off their parents... Looks like 80% of Afghans and our own leftist parasites share a common entitlement gene. God bless the 20% who have organized to fight the Taliban though. Fight and show no mercy to terrorist scum.

Let's just go solar, renewable energy, and electric cars, SUV's, and leave those goat humping, kiddie fuckers, in their own shitheaps.
Screenshot_20210407-134213_Facebook.jpg

Guess I'm in good company then.😉

I'm wondering what you call, "good company"?

America was energy independent in December 2020. Where to you think the materials to build wind turbines come from? Or the rare earth elements to make hundreds of millions of electric car batteries and solar panels? Ask Texas how wind and solar worked during the last cold snap.

I like Biden voters, always screaming about science and have no clue what the word means.

America was energy independent in December 2020. Where to you think the materials to build wind turbines come from? Or the rare earth elements to make hundreds of millions of electric car batteries and solar panels? Ask Texas how wind and solar worked during the last cold snap.

I like Biden voters, always screaming about science and have no clue what the word means.
I mean in the company of fucking idiots.
Let's face it, the difference between a circus and SH, is that the clowns want to give the orders in SH.
Plus, the circus has bigger tents.
If you think USA is the only place with rare earth elements, you know fuck all about Australia.
I may be wrong, which happens often, and I try to learn from my mistakes, doesn't Texas have a predominantly independent power grid?
Texans robbing fellow Texans with huge power rates.
So blaming a Federal government for policies instigated by successive generations of Texan state governments, a bit pointless really.

I remember having light hearted banter with a great guy from Texas.
He informed that "Ain't no state bigger than Texas"
I told him, he's currently in Western Australia, which is far larger than Texas, and that he should look it up.
After lunch, he came back and conceded the fact, and added "You are an asshole"🤣🤣🤣

Let's face it, the difference between a circus and SH, is that the clowns want to give the orders in SH.
If you think USA is the only place with rare earth elements, you know fuck all about Australia.
I may be wrong, which happens often, and I try to learn from my mistakes, doesn't Texas have a predominantly independent power grid?
So blaming a Federal government for policies instigated by successive generations of Texan state governments, a bit pointless really.

I told him, he's currently in Western Australia, which is far larger than Texas, and that he should look it up.
After lunch, he came back and conceded the fact, and added "You are an asshole"🤣🤣🤣

Since we're using Texas as an example, let's gauge your subject matter expertise.

How many wind turbines and/or solar panel farm KwH will it take to assume just 25% of the state's base load? How many wind turbines and how much solar panel surface area will it take to generate that?

I don't know myself which is why I ask such an esteemed expert such as you.

Reactions: Fig and Tokay444
Since we're using Texas as an example, let's gauge your subject matter expertise.

How many wind turbines and/or solar panel farm KwH will it take to assume just 25% of the state's base load? How many wind turbines and how much solar panel surface area will it take to generate that?

Don't forget the surface area covered by the turbine blade landfills.

Also, cost of maintenance is quite high. Developing fluids/greases that can extend maintenance intervals is quite complicated (random shock loads).

Reactions: 308pirate
Don't forget the surface area covered by the turbine blade landfills.

Also, cost of maintenance is quite high. Developing fluids/greases that can extend maintenance intervals is quite complicated (random shock loads).

This is one thing I'd like to hear more about. It's a gear reduction box, FFS! Haven't we mastered gearboxes back in like WW2? I don't get it.

On edit: it's step-up rather than reduction (I think)...

This is one thing I'd like to hear more about. It's a gear reduction box, FFS! Haven't we mastered gearboxes back in like WW2? I don't get it.

On edit: it's step-up rather than reduction (I think)...

It isn't the gear box necessarily but the application. Micropitting is a huge issue in gears and bearings. This is caused by a few factors:

1. Operational time of the turbine
2. Shock loads
3. Contamination
4. Low speed, high load (thin tribofilm)
5. Probably something else I'm forgetting

Formulation wise it is difficult to formulate for micropitting because the component that helps aid in a FZG FVA-54/7 pass also negatively impacts elastomers (gear box seals). That is just one of the many formulary issues regarding turbine oil formulations. Not only that but OEM requirements/tests are difficult to pass and have terrible reproducibility so it is tough to ascertain if formulary tweaks are actually beneficial. Then there is the issue of does the OEM test actually represent field conditions.

Some turbine manufacturers have gone to direct drive which eliminates the gear box but cost/size is a factor as well.

OK well I'm not being argumentative, but everything you listed is like the same shit that happens in a bulldozer gearbox, isn't it?

It just seems like someone BY NOW should have got it sorted out.

It is not. Different applications breed different strains on the gears.
Dude, there's only one way to strain gears.....teeth impinge on each other in every fucking gear set ever built since fucking gears were invented.

I'm just saying that if these things are so fucking wonderful then figure out what they need and be done with it.

We've been to the moon and yet we can't build windmills that last 20 years. OK.

I live in Texas, and have for most of my life. My power rates did not move one cent during the freeze of 2021. The people that got burned were the ones buying at wholesale rates. Sounds great until you realize that number fluctuates. I have a contract with a defined cost/khw- regardless of wholesale rates (as do most Texans). I'm ok with the power company getting their cut, because I have a basic grasp of economics.

Reactions: Snuby642
Dude, there's only one way to strain gears.....teeth impinge on each other in every fucking gear set ever built since fucking gears were invented.

I'm just saying that if these things are so fucking wonderful then figure out what they need and be done with it.

We've been to the moon and yet we can't build windmills that last 20 years. OK.

Not every gear is the same, number of teeth, geometry, size, operational speed, alloy, pitch line velocity. These factors all affect the strain experienced and it is not all the same. If it were I would be able to make one gear formulation work for every gear box out there regardless of the application and that's not the case.

We haven't cured cancer, eradicated the flu, mastered solar panel efficiency, battery efficiency etc either.....but we've been to the moon...lol

You seem like you work in the industry so I'll have to take your word for it to an extent, but your explanations kinda lack detail. When guys say "it's the application" my eyes gloss over because people generally are trying to use that as a smoke screen for things they can't explain.

There's literally eleventy billion gearboxes in the world and have been for 100 years, and here you are saying the gear teeth in a wind turbine are SOMEHOW SPECIAL. Yeah OK, whatever.

And it's not like we just started putting up turbines yesterday.

Either explain it out fully or just give up.

Physics and biological sciences are a fair bit more complicated that gear teeth and gear oil.

You seem like you work in the industry so I'll have to take your word for it to an extent, but your explanations kinda lack detail. When guys say "it's the application" my eyes gloss over because people generally are trying to use that as a smoke screen for things they can't explain.

There's literally eleventy billion gearboxes in the world and have been for 100 years, and here you are saying the gear teeth in a wind turbine are SOMEHOW SPECIAL. Yeah OK, whatever.

And it's not like we just started putting up turbines yesterday.

Either explain it out fully or just give up.

Physics and biological sciences are a fair bit more complicated that gear teeth and gear oil.

Driving my kid to football. I'll explain once I get settled.

Just read an article about the guys at Argonne figuring out that the axial cracking in the bearings is due to rolling elements skidding, and not rolling as they should. This skidding has been known about for decades in other equipment.

Second big question I have for you....why is cleanliness even an issue? Being up in the air in a turbine nacelle seems like a damn clean environment compared to ANYTHING in mining or dirt moving or steel industry, so I can't comprehend why there would be significant contamination of the oil. Certainly there is constant filtration, right?

Plus it would seem to me that you could easily have the box fully instrumented with thermocouples and vibration sensors so that you could detect and predict bearing failures.

Just read an article about the guys at Argonne figuring out that the axial cracking in the bearings is due to rolling elements skidding, and not rolling as they should. This skidding has been known about for decades in other equipment.

Second big question I have for you....why is cleanliness even an issue? Being up in the air in a turbine nacelle seems like a damn clean environment compared to ANYTHING in mining or dirt moving or steel industry, so I can't comprehend why there would be significant contamination of the oil. Certainly there is constant filtration, right?

Plus it would seem to me that you could easily have the box fully instrumented with thermocouples and vibration sensors so that you could detect and predict bearing failures.

Found something for you to read so I don't have to type a book.

https://www.linkedin.com › pulse
Micro-pitting of wind turbine bearings - a review - LinkedIn

You may not think it is difficult but I develop additive formulations for a living. Unless you're an engineer or chemist in this industry; then your opinion has little value.

Just a quick little example: I added 0.1% of an anti-wear additive to an oil and it caused my EP performance to crash and my demulsibility to get worse. The formulas are highly complex mixtures of a multitude of additives that all compete for the same surface.

If it were simple, it would have been done already as renewable energy is highly profitable right now along with EV and biodegradable fluids.

Filters get clogged especially when they are 3 to 5 micron. It's not dirt, but rather wear particles. They have bearing wear models but they don't account for the dynamic conditions experienced in a wind turbine. They also have FZG gear rigs that are supposed to simulate fluid performance but it doesn't correlate because the conditions experienced in a wind turbine are not static.

This is exactly why I was trying to tell you it's not the same. I'm not trying to be an asshole but you do not have the requisite knowledge to make the assertions that you have made in this thread thus far.

Ok how the fuck did a post about a sarge dressing down a bunch of losers turn into an argument about fucking windmills.....oh thats right Don Quixote......I mean grumpyoldasshole.....thread shit once again.

Ok how the fuck did a post about a sarge dressing down a bunch of losers turn into an argument about fucking windmills.....oh thats right Don Quixote......I mean grumpyoldasshole.....thread shit once again.

Ehh my fault I shouldn't have engaged.

Unless your subject matter expertise includes gear train design and engineering, don't lecture others who might be.

If it's so fucking simple, get to it and make bank on your patented gearbox that outlasts everyone in wind turbine applications.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Had the pleasure of a visit with a young man getting back from SA at O'hare.
Told a story of his work with the locals on a Vulcan system.
The above bunch would seem disciplined compared to his students.

R

Uhmmmm…. From a Texan who froze his ass off…. It didn’t work at all.

Reactions: lonegunman762x51
It is always interesting when a guy from a country with barely as many people as New York City starts telling everyone how it's done.

Congrats on having 1/4 the rare earth elements as Afghanistan and 3/4ths the population. Your two countries have about the same number of people fucking farm animals so you got that in common.

Wind Turbines are kinda shitty in the great scheme of things. If the wind dies and they were running at 80% capacity, that disappearance of power from the grid has to be replaced and this happens a lot. Solar panels and general ignorance is not going to replace it. You need a steady supply of reliable power from oil, coal, gas, nuclear or hydroelectric power or you are fucked. And you need power that can be brought online in as little as an hour when the wind dies. If a few minutes some fuckwit is going to chime in about Tesla building batteries and sure those are usually able to cover about 5% of the loss for four hours or so, not a real solution. Better yet, even the most efficient wind turbine loses 87.5% of its output if the wind speed drops 50%. No other form of power production has a performance fall off quite like that.

We can pretend wind energy is "green" by ignoring the destruction of the avian population, the changes in weather patterns from wind turbines disrupting air flow, the increases in ground temperatures in winter and the resulting increases in rodents and insects surviving the winter and thus destroying more crops or grasslands, the horrible carbon heavy practices that are used to build them and of course the industrial waste created by them.

Whatever amazing gear oil or additive you want to add to a wind turbine gearbox has to be hauled at least 300 feet in the air and that totally sucks. Every broken part is 300 feet in the air, all carted up a ladder with not as much help as you think and every oil leak drizzles down the same walls and ladders. They are the shittiest paying jobs in the power industry, heavily subsidized by most governments and they are brutal to work on, most guys are physically damaged for the rest of their lives after as little as five years climbing these things. Nothing says shitty like being injured in a confined space, 300 feet in the air with no chance of an easy rescue because you are trapped in the fucking air in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, they do make electricity. They do it for far more money than most other forms of power production and for far fewer years. They have a useful life far shorter than anything hydroelectric. If you support using them because you think they will save the planet, then go for it. Just stop pretending they do not harm the environment or that they are somehow more efficient than anything currently in use.

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/08...dustry-keeps-on-failing-to-deliver-the-goods/

Click the link if you want to know about Australian wind turbine success.

Last edited:
It is always interesting when a guy from a country with barely as many people as New York City starts telling everyone how it's done.

Congrats on having 1/4 the rare earth elements as Afghanistan and 3/4ths the population. Your two countries have about the same number of people fucking farm animals so you got that in common.

Wind Turbines are kinda shitty in the great scheme of things. If the wind dies and they were running at 80% capacity, that disappearance of power from the grid has to be replaced and this happens a lot. Solar panels and general ignorance is not going to replace it. You need a steady supply of reliable power from oil, coal, gas, nuclear or hydroelectric power or you are fucked. And you need power that can be brought online in as little as an hour when the wind dies. If a few minutes some fuckwit is going to chime in about Tesla building batteries and sure those are usually able to cover about 5% of the loss for four hours or so, not a real solution. Better yet, even the most efficient wind turbine loses 87.5% of its output if the wind speed drops 50%. No other form of power production has a performance fall off quite like that.

We can pretend wind energy is "green" by ignoring the destruction of the avian population, the changes in weather patterns from wind turbines disrupting air flow, the increases in ground temperatures in winter and the resulting increases in rodents and insects surviving the winter and thus destroying more crops or grasslands, the horrible carbon heavy practices that are used to build them and of course the industrial waste created by them.

Whatever amazing gear oil or additive you want to add to a wind turbine gearbox has to be hauled at least 300 feet in the air and that totally sucks. Every broken part is 300 feet in the air, all carted up a ladder with not as much help as you think and every oil leak drizzles down the same walls and ladders. They are the shittiest paying jobs in the power industry, heavily subsidized by most governments and they are brutal to work on, most guys are physically damaged for the rest of their lives after as little as five years climbing these things. Nothing says shitty like being injured in a confined space, 300 feet in the air with no chance of an easy rescue because you are trapped in the fucking air in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, they do make electricity. They do it for far more money than most other forms of power production and for far fewer years. They have a useful life far shorter than anything hydroelectric. If you support using them because you think they will save the planet, then go for it. Just stop pretending they do not harm the environment or that they are somehow more efficient than anything currently in use.

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/08...dustry-keeps-on-failing-to-deliver-the-goods/

Click the link if you want to know about Australian wind turbine success.

This guy gets it.

Reactions: 308pirate
Unless your subject matter expertise includes gear train design and engineering, don't lecture others who might be.

If it's so fucking simple, get to it and make bank on your patented gearbox that outlasts everyone in wind turbine applications.

Just because meatheads like you don't know anything about gears....don't ASSume the rest of us don't either.

Meatheads told Elon Musk he was crazy, now guys like him who broke the mold in a ton of places are gonna rule the roost pretty soon.

We're all going to forget about arguing on forums when his predictions about AI come true.

Found something for you to read so I don't have to type a book.

https://www.linkedin.com › pulse
Micro-pitting of wind turbine bearings - a review - LinkedIn

You may not think it is difficult but I develop additive formulations for a living. Unless you're an engineer or chemist in this industry; then your opinion has little value.

Just a quick little example: I added 0.1% of an anti-wear additive to an oil and it caused my EP performance to crash and my demulsibility to get worse. The formulas are highly complex mixtures of a multitude of additives that all compete for the same surface.

If it were simple, it would have been done already as renewable energy is highly profitable right now along with EV and biodegradable fluids.

The attached article makes tons of sense and to be honest it sounds like there are 20 other problems to be fixed that probably won't be solved by the lubricant alone.