• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Your Favorite Current Production .357 Magnum Revolver

338Mark

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2020
When this virus stuff is over I'd like to get a .357 Revolver. I'm looking for a full sized model, full length barrel. What are some of the best options in current production models that you guys have been using? I'd like to hear what led to your purchasing decision. And thanks.

When this virus stuff is over I'd like to get a .357 Revolver. I'm looking for a full sized model, full length barrel. What are some of the best options in current production models that you guys have been using? I'd like to hear what led to your purchasing decision. And thanks.

See below....

I bet the Forum's search function would be really useful for you to use.

If you have a local FFL willing to do the transfer you may not need to wait for the virus to run its course.

I recently picked up a nice (to me) 1911 at fire sale pricing, and I think it's because gun stores were closing down at the time. Less people having access to FFLs meant less people bidding on gunbroker meant cheaper price.

At least that's what I think happened.

Just take disinfectant and there's minimal risk.

Interesting that you ask for current production. The heyday of the revolver was over forty years ago, but there were so many made that it's quite easy to find a really nice S&W 19,66,686 or many similar guns in excellent condition. The price for collector's grade with box has gone up, but not do much for a shooter in great condition. Admittedly, I've a bunch of S&W revolvers, so I'm biased. If I was shopping for a new one, I'd look at that recently released M19. Not as cool as a old P&R, but modern machining contributes a lot.

Interesting you mention the latest S&W 19. I do have my eye on that one.

LOL...you guys actually take this silly Internet banter seriously, like it matters? Now I don't know if that is just sad or very funny. I'm going with very funny. :)

Lol who's taking anything seriously?

• Haha
Reactions: 338Mark
I have not been able to finger one yet, but I am all in on the new Python

I was super stoked about it until the problems started popping up. Colt finally acknowledged them and hopefully they will get on top of the QC issues, but it sure made me lose interest. I'll be watching how things are going with it a year from now once they, hopefully, have all the bugs worked out. I would love to get a python. Just so iconic.

Actually, I think it has more to do with boredom, at least with me. I find myself interjecting in threads more than usual. Sometimes this distancing stuff gets to me.

Here's a favorite.

Attachments

• 20190314_164806.jpg
    20190314_164806.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Bender
I too was interested in the Python after having foolishly sold mine 20 years ago. But as you said, the quality sucks on the new ones. And like anything with a Colt name on it, it is overpriced.

I love my 686 pre-lock I bought back in the 90's. That's what I'd be looking at unless you have the coin for a Korth.

I was super stoked about it until the problems started popping up. Colt finally acknowledged them and hopefully they will get on top of the QC issues, but it sure made me lose interest. I'll be watching how things are going with it a year from now once they, hopefully, have all the bugs worked out. I would love to get a python. Just so iconic.
According to Colt, only about a half dozen (guessing "or so") made it to the public including the infamous YouTube one. They stated it was a QC problem and is resolved. I have confidence that the problem is behind them (not saying that I swallow the whole story though). Letting an issue like that linger is disastrous for a company like Colt.
So as soon as I can lay hands on one is as soon as I will own one.

Reactions: Dewey7271
According to Colt, only about a half dozen (guessing "or so") made it to the public including the infamous YouTube one. They stated it was a QC problem and is resolved. I have confidence that the problem is behind them (not saying that I swallow the whole story though). Letting an issue like that linger is disastrous for a company like Colt.
So as soon as I can lay hands on one is as soon as I will own one.

There were actually quite a more than a "few" and more than just one documented case on YouTube. I was reading the COLT forum and a number of folks there checked in with a variety of issues and problem. If I buy one, I want to wait until I feel more confident I won't be having to send it back to COLT to have them make it work liked it should have when it left the factory.

I'm happy for you and others to beta test them for the rest of us. :)

There were actually quite a more than a "few" and more than just one documented case on YouTube. I was reading the COLT forum and a number of folks there checked in with a variety of issues and problem. If I buy one, I want to wait until I feel more confident I won't be having to send it back to COLT to have them make it work liked it should have when it left the factory.

I'm happy for you and others to beta test them for the rest of us. :)
I will do my best!

A 4” 586 from about 30 years ago is as good as you can get in my opinion

I've collected Smith's for many years and they are my favorite revolvers, but I was very impressed with the DA trigger pull on the Kimber I shot. It seemed closer to a J frame size than a K frame, but still held 6 rounds. Somehow have to justify to myself buying one.

Last edited:
I had a 4" 686 for years. I wish that I had never sold it, I can't even remember what I had to have at the time. Maybe an early ruger SA stainless blackhawk. Who knows...

S&W 686 .357 Combat Magnum, 4” barrel. For my money one of the best revolvers ever (still) made.

My S&W revolvers don't have that stupid lock on them. Are they still manufactured with the lock today?

My vote is for a S&W either new or old. I have settled on 3” barrels for my revolvers I may carry and 6” barrels for outdoors.

Freedom Arms 97. There is no other production revolver that comes close to the precision and overall quality of a Freedom Arms. Nothing else is even in the same ballpark. It is peerless.

Reactions: jbuck88
Interesting that you ask for current production. The heyday of the revolver was over forty years ago, but there were so many made that it's quite easy to find a really nice S&W 19,66,686 or many similar guns in excellent condition. The price for collector's grade with box has gone up, but not do much for a shooter in great condition. Admittedly, I've a bunch of S&W revolvers, so I'm biased. If I was shopping for a new one, I'd look at that recently released M19. Not as cool as a old P&R, but modern machining contributes a lot.

I just learned something valuable: if you want a good revolver, ask a revolver guy.

Juuuuust almost bought a used SW 627 Pro Series 8-shot... boy those are sweet. I think I like the 4in barrel over the 5in. Performance Center...and its about $300 cheaper.

But I'd have to say my Ruger Vaquero has my heart.... and ya its single action but the title says current production revolver lol

I suppose that if I had to have a current production revolver, I'd look at something in the S&W Performance Center lines. You can get more, but you have to pay way more.

Truth is, I'm much more fond of the pre-MIM S&W revolvers (before 1996 if memory serves correctly), specifically the P&R era ones. The hard part is finding a used one in like new condition that is advertised appropriately. I actually got my start in S&W smithing after buying a couple of wrecks...something you don't have to mess with on a new one.

I own two current S&W revolvers, a 686 with a slightly canted barrel (still shoots fine), and a 637 that had flashing still in the frame when I tore it apart...But...I've avoided the new Colt stuff like the plague, and the last Ruger that my dad bought had something out of alignment to the point where his rear sight was adjusted all the way to the right.

Reactions: Quarter Horse
My experience with a couple Vaqueros, and another associates as well, was that they shot low left, by a fair amount. We thought that was what Vaquero meant. :LOL: ;):ROFLMAO:

Currently have a Ruger GP161, 6 inch barrel full under lug. Had the GP141, 4 inch barrel. 4 inch was stole in a break in. Used the insurance to replace it and got the 6 inch barrel. The only 4 inch in stock was stainless. Both have advantages, the 4 inch seemed to handle better, the 6 inch is hunting legal in more states if that's an issue. Looking to get another 141.

I’ve had a hankering for a Ruger GP100 Match Champion for awhile now. Probably be a bit before I get one, still need to build a .22 trainer. But I’ve heard great things about them!
I picked up a Match Champion to go with my other GP100. It’s a very good wheel gun imo. You won’t be disappointed.

My experience with a couple Vaqueros, and another associates as well, was that they shot low left, by a fair amount. We thought that was what Vaquero meant. :LOL: ;):ROFLMAO:
I have a Vaquero 44 mag that shot 18" left and low at 25 yards, I kept thinking I'm a piss poor shot( along with everyone else that shot it). I bought it off my buddy 25 years ago and it just sat in the safe as a paperweight. One day I called Ruger and talked to a VERY nice lady in customer service and she said send that sucker back and we'll check it out,2 weeks later I get it back and they retimed the barrel ,new hammer ,new springs some other things and now that thing shoots like a dream!My favorite 50 yard beer can gun.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
It turns out the OP was our well known man of the cloth troll. Thank you Moderators, for him not lasting long.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I have a Vaquero 44 mag that shot 18" left and low at 25 yards, I kept thinking I'm a piss poor shot( along with everyone else that shot it). I bought it off my buddy 25 years ago and it just sat in the safe as a paperweight. One day I called Ruger and talked to a VERY nice lady in customer service and she said send that sucker back and we'll check it out,2 weeks later I get it back and they retimed the barrel ,new hammer ,new springs some other things and now that thing shoots like a dream!My favorite 50 yard beer can gun.

My Vaquero seems dead nuts so far. Still trying different light handloads in it though. Its also weird to me how someone won't call the company and see if the problem could be fixed...these are pieces of equipment after all. Nothing is perfect.

Ruger fan here...
4" GP100. No lightweight. Depends on what it is for. Might need a little work to get the trigger smoother. Mine is fine after years of shooting and dry fire.