• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Your Favorite Current Production .357 Magnum Revolver

For a range and Target gun- S&W 686 in 6"

Not to heavy with full length underbarrel lug
Not clunky - to me-Rugers are Clunkly
L frame- so solid and can handle a diet of 357

You can also load up very light 38 specials with 147 gr HBWC for newer shooters, great accuracy. very light recoil and muzzle blast.

Revolvers- Like most guns- don't wear out.

If considering used, watch some videos and bring a checklist to the seller to use when inspecting one for the common issues...

Like a bent crane or ejector rod from someone playing hollywood and swinging the cylinder shut

If i cant do it with 8 rds of 357 mag.....

Attachments

• 20200229_141226.jpg
    20200229_141226.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 40
Last year I went for the SW 586-L. I basically missed my 2" Colt King Cobra I sold decades ago (sigh $500) and wanted a stout .357 again. The 586-L seemed to have a few extras that sold me. Compensator, 7 shot capacity, trigger job, tritium front site and ability to reload with moon clips. Moon clips looked like a quicker reload option but to me seem like more of a PIA vs speed loader.

A few quirks to be mindful of on this model;
  • Front site tritium insert sounds cool but is very small. Its visible in only real dark conditions.
  • Sights are black on black. I wound up painting the front blade neon orange.(replacement cost)
  • Moon clips bend and are perishable. S&W replacements are not so cheap for what they are. Off brand clips are hit/miss.
  • I read after the fact it shoots tighter groups with moon clips. I have not tested it but sounds plausable.
  • It comes with 2 grips. CCW size wood and full size rubber. I preferred the wood look but its not to functional. The material on the side of the grip gets in the way of ejecting and loading. I eliminated some material (a little to much) from the side and its ugly but improved. The smaller CCW style grips you would need to feel for yourself but I also wound up sanding down the finger groove hump. (replacement cost)
  • I bought mine used and had problems with it misfiring. Weak strikes with various ammo brands. After confirming the mainspring was not loosened, S&W support sent a call tag . Fix it ticket stated; new yoke needed, end shake adjustment.

Last edited:
The easy part of the answer for me is GP100. The difficulty comes in deciding which variant. My default gun is a 4 inch stainless 686 or GP100, so I guess the honest answer is a 4 inch stainless GP100. I greatly prefer shorter barrels, and GP100s have been more durable for me than 686s. A GP can also be tuned to greatness about as easily as a Smith, the only downer is I feel the length of the DA trigger pull on a GP should be just a smidge shorter.

OP I was looking at LNIB python's at the time and was already figuring on being in the Korth price range and opted for the Korth because I felt like I would shoot it more and have the ability to get it fixed if something went wrong. Nighthawk recommended the 3 inch over the 4 so that is what I purchased. I do have a pre lock 586 that is 4 inch in my collection that is a nice pistol but it is not a Korth.

I have two 686+, I also have a Taurus 66 and a 608.
Of course, I also have a Model 24, a 657, a 64, a 36 and a 625.
I'm very fond of the 686, whether it is the 6 or 7 shot. well balanced, easy to do trigger work on, accurate and good looking as well.
My Taurus revolvers have been solid performer's.
The S&W's are a bit more refined.
I have always liked the GP100, though I have never owned one.

Really miss my dan wesson pistol pack.
Rarely shoot my colt python anymore.
Leaning freedom arms or korth for next wheel gun.